Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

We’ve been fairly led astray on the dangers of this one. It’s looking like you’re in big trouble much younger than first said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im gonna save this post for a week from now and lets see how absolutely incredibly wrong you were.

In fact im gonna start doing it for as many posters as i can that claim its all grand and theres nothing to worry about.

You tell them. Quote them all and show them who was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

This quotation seems apt.
    Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after a pandemic will seem inadequate. This is the dilemma we face, but it should not stop us from doing what we can to prepare. We need to reach out to everyone with words that inform, but not inflame. We need to encourage everyone to prepare, but not panic.
    Source: Michael O. Leavitt Secretary, Department of Health and Human Services, Pandemic Influenza Leadership Forum, June 13, 2007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Denmark, Poland, Hungary closing schools and non essential public services. Not sure what our geniuses are waiting for to be honest. When the level headed Danes are taking this step you know the sh1t is hitting the fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

fr336 wrote: »
    The reaction of governments and populations in the west has quite startled me, it's real rabbits in headlights stuff. In future when our fine leaders talk about the superiority of the west compared to the likes of China, remember this moment. China went all out to shut this thing down and protect their population - even the old ones. The west just said "but the economy". Now what might happen is not only we will have lots of needless deaths but the economy will be screwed as a result. China knew.

The Chinese went into denial first. Silenced any doctor speaking out. Many believe it was around much earlier in Wuhan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

ITman88 wrote: »
    “Delusion is strong” says a lad from Mayo.

You seem to ignore the effect of the age profile in Italy, the oldest in Europe.

The health service was not better than ours and was already struggling with an older population.

A higher number of smokers also in Italy so a higher number of respiratory issues.

Irish people ain’t immune, they are better conditioned to fight it

It is better than ours. I'm seriously done presenting evidence. Doesn't seem to be necessary here. Compared across all OECD regions, our southern eastern region is in the top 35% in Health.

Lombardy in the top 5%.

https://www.oecdregionalwellbeing.org/ITC4.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    On Facebook I have seen a status shared many times (not by the hotel or anyone official) about a hotel in Cork with people in isolation today due to the virus.

I am assuming for now this is hearsay, as I’ve seen nothing on the media.. but I am wondering as I was in this hotel yesterday and have two immunocompromised family members.

F***ing facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Would anyone consider keeping their kids off school if they don’t close next week? I’ve a child in ty and I’d do it for sure.
    But then I’ve other family members who are working and doing their own things, so I don’t know if it would make much difference when it comes to bringing a virus home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The reaction of governments and populations in the west has quite startled me, it's real rabbits in headlights stuff. In future when our fine leaders talk about the superiority of the west compared to the likes of China, remember this moment. China went all out to shut this thing down and protect their population - even the old ones. The west just said "but the economy". Now what might happen is not only we will have lots of needless deaths but the economy will be screwed as a result. China knew.

China and places like Ireland are chalk and cheese. It's all free movement and independence of the individual and the economy for sure here, so there is hesitance. China didn't baulk, all or nothing, and it worked. But as I said different regimes.

I agree with you that a lot of the decisions here and in other European countries are based on the effect on the economy, not the citizen.

Has the EU made a statement on the matter yet? If not, shame on them. They could sort it all out + compo during the Foot and Mouth. Doesn't seem to be the same urgency when people are involved.

Whether I am right or wrong here, that is the perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 toneygecko

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    On Facebook I have seen a status shared many times (not by the hotel or anyone official) about a hotel in Cork with people in isolation today due to the virus.

I am assuming for now this is hearsay, as I’ve seen nothing on the media.. but I am wondering as I was in this hotel yesterday and have two immunocompromised family members.

Mind me asking what hotel? The Mrs was at a conference in a hotel in Cork at the weekend, I tried in vain to convince her not to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Ipso wrote: »
    F***ing facebook
    Yep, same scaremongering as some on this thread, albeit with worse spelling and grammar than here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

ITman88 wrote: »
    No where did I project my selfishness.
    Your right I am clueless about the predictions, as is every other poster on the thread, so if others make predictions so will I, this is a discussion thread but I’d say your the type who doesn’t entertain others opinions

That is a ludicrous lie. 40-70% is a number released by WHO in the event the virus isn't controlled, many experts are predicting this is how it will be. The Irish News said 1.9 million people in Ireland could end up getting it a few days ago. The HSE said they couldn't rule it out. Just yesterday Angela Merkhel said 70% of Germans could become infected. Do you even read the news articles or do you just read forums? Again it's like you're projecting on others - you don't have a clue, therefore nobody else posting here must either. Daft statement.

You can take your "but that seems like a huge number to me so therefore it can't be true".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Healthy people with the Covid 19 will need to stop being admitted to Hospital. Its a waste of an isolation room at this stage and it is a risk to Hospital staff and vulnerable patients.It is also a waste of resources e.g. PPE's which need to be preserved for a possible crisis. Young and otherwise healthy people with the Covid 19 ,in my opinion, would be perfectly fine to self isolate at home .The whole regime of shipping everyone off to Hospital with this has to stop !

For now it kinda gives them a chance to study it and see what they're up against, but other than that I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Does anyone have an idea how much a GP charges for the test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Listening to someone from department of education talking of disruption of leaving cert so on, WTF, I think far more is at stake than that. Close schools now until Sep, not difficult, geez.

I heard leaving cert students on the radio talking about how they’ll find it difficult to motivate themselves to study if they can’t go go school. Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lots of people putting down those who work in the dept of health at the moment forgetting that these are real people with the same worries and fears as everyone else.
    They're working all hours day and night to try get a handle of this thing with the only previous experience being that of another country a few days/weeks ahead of the experience than they are.

Whatever they do, someone will find fault but that's life.
    No one is prepared for this anywhere in the world.
    No one has a medical system able to deal with it, not just us.

Many will get sick/die and lessons will hopefully be learned.
    But as we didn't learn from the last housing bubble I don't hold out much hope for this learning experience.

And no, I don't work for the dept of health. I've friends who do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yep, same scaremongering as some on this thread, albeit with worse spelling and grammar than here :pac:

Ur n angle

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Would anyone consider keeping their kids off school if they don’t close next week? I’ve a child in ty and I’d do it for sure.
    But then I’ve other family members who are working and doing their own things, so I don’t know if it would make much difference when it comes to bringing a virus home.

I believe parents are already doing this. As a primary school teacher today and yesterday I’ve had the lowest number of pupil in my 6 years of teaching in this school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

We suspect this kind of thing with economic matters, homeless etc. They tell us "that its for the greater good". We secretly suspected that it wasn't. Recent events have laid bare this deceit. The plan by waiting to extend testing criteria etc is for enough of it spread so that anyone who is going to get it will get so we can move one.

Shocking to hear Boris on TV actually telling people we have two options. Take it on the chin or let it drag on.

That's the reality and it's completely transparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Can’t link directly, but Simon Harris tweeted this link regarding WHO praising Ireland’s response. But if you scroll through the updates to “one hour ago” it mentions Ireland reports second death.

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-live-updates-latest-news-blog/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

pjohnson wrote: »
    Dr. Tony needs at least 20 deaths.

I don`t know if this is meant to be a sarcastic comment but the scary thing is that you may be quite correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Poorside wrote: »

GPs cant do it as of yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

We have been having that conversation too.. I am retired and have a 12 year old, I have been praying for the school closure announcement.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Poorside wrote: »

:confused: GP does not test/cannot test.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Ipso wrote: »
    Ur n angle

Acute too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I heard leaving cert students on the radio talking about how they’ll find it difficult to motivate themselves to study if they can’t go go school. Jesus wept.

Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Closing everything to early will just result in spreading the virus even more when we all go back to work and school before the number of infections has peaked.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

piplip87 wrote: »
    Where is the fella who was PMing everyboylast night saying there would be 42 cases reported today ?

Claiming it could be one of the biggest scandals this state has ever seen.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Denmark, Poland, Hungary closing schools and non essential public services. Not sure what our geniuses are waiting for to be honest. When the level headed Danes are taking this step you know the sh1t is hitting the fan.

I am very confident we will get an announcement soon.

They will soon look like complete fools if they do nothing while the rest of Europe is closing down. And we know decisions are significantly driven by how they make them look.

Yes, you can call me cynical :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement