Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Closing everything to early will just result in spreading the virus even more when we all go back to work and school before the number of infections has peaked.

Closing the schools is to spread out the rate of infection so that the health services can cope better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Why is there no mention in any of the major media outlets about the 1 recovered case in Cork?

Is that not good news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Poorside wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea how much a GP charges for the test?

A gp can't do the test

Why is there no mention in any of the major media outlets about the 1 recovered case in Cork?

Is that not good news?

That wouldn’t go along with the media glee at reporting doom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That is a ludicrous lie. 40-70% is a number released by WHO in the event the virus isn't controlled, many experts are predicting this is how it will be. The Irish News said 1.9 million people in Ireland could end up getting it a few days ago. The HSE said they couldn't rule it out. Just yesterday Angela Merkhel said 70% of Germans could become infected. Do you even read the news articles or do you just read forums? Again it's like you're projecting on others - you don't have a clue, therefore nobody else posting here must either. Daft statement.

You can take your "but that seems like a huge number to me so therefore it can't be true".

It's a known fact that big numbers are very scary incomprehensible as are small ones.

"We need......eh 40 billion.....or we'll all be poor forever."
    "1.9 million sure that's nearly everyone"
    "2%, sure that's nothing compared to the Flu (0.1%)" its actually 20 times more.
    "4% interest on your mortgage" Sure that's nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    On Facebook I have seen a status shared many times (not by the hotel or anyone official) about a hotel in Cork with people in isolation today due to the virus.

I am assuming for now this is hearsay, as I’ve seen nothing on the media.. but I am wondering as I was in this hotel yesterday and have two immunocompromised family members.

Ring the hotel.

Don’t post it’s name on here or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Nothing. Trinity College Dublin has had to make the unilateral decision to cancel lectures, and was crticized for doing so. The The Department of Health either want more cases or are run by idiots.

This is what’s giving me hope for Ireland. In the absence of guidance and rules, organisations including private companies kicked into gear with their own contingency planning and made decisions to start implementing them even when they weren’t forced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

I know of someone who went to the doctor today with a lot of symptoms but was told their temp wasn’t high enough for it to be CoVid, and isn’t being tested!! I was at the doctor with my child for something routine today and he wasn’t even wearing gloves. Surely they should be wearing gloves and masks and this gp isn’t a spring chicken either. Yet he was giving out saying there should be more done that a lockdown needs to happen now rather than in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I heard leaving cert students on the radio talking about how they’ll find it difficult to motivate themselves to study if they can’t go go school. Jesus wept.

No change compared to when they are going to school so? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Please note I’m not saying this info is correct at all (as most things that come from Facebook are not). I am just querying a status I saw, posted today and shared 1.2k times. As I said probably just hearsay. I’m sure we would have heard about it by now.

This is a copy of the status :

18 people currently in isolation in the Clayton hotel today for corona virus! 2 people air lifted to hospital last night. The Media aren’t reporting on it either? This **** is getting a little too close for comfort!!! #ClaytonHotel #CoronaVirus

Dublin , not cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Can we quarantine all them Irish Gob****es in England who went to Cheltenham or at least cancel the ferries and flights, let the English look after them.
    Take some pressure of our health workers. Look after the people in Ireland at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Please note I’m not saying this info is correct at all (as most things that come from Facebook are not). I am just querying a status I saw, posted today and shared 1.2k times. As I said probably just hearsay. I’m sure we would have heard about it by now.

18 people currently in isolation in the Clayton hotel today for corona virus! 2 people air lifted to hospital last night. The Media aren’t reporting on it either? This **** is getting a little too close for comfort!!! #ClaytonHotel #CoronaVirus

Somebody has it in for that hotel chain the amount of false reports about it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Denmark, Poland, Hungary closing schools and non essential public services. Not sure what our geniuses are waiting for to be honest. When the level headed Danes are taking this step you know the sh1t is hitting the fan.
    "When the time comes" is what they have been saying for the last week. It's available as an option just not deemed useful/beneficial at this point. Schools will be off in just over 3 weeks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Is that not good news?

So 1 recovered while 9 more diagnosed and one dead.

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,150 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

ANother death reported. Seems we are useless at saving those who have it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Paris St. Germain vs Dortmund being played behind closed doors,...

all the fans are outside the stadium, sounds like theres a war going on with all the fireworks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Bingo, another Clayton Hotel! How many is that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

is_that_so wrote: »
    "When the time comes" is what they have been saying for the last week. It's available as an option just not deemed useful/beneficial at this point. Schools will be off in just over 3 weeks anyway.

Way too long to wait we need tobstart flattening this thing out right now, start easter hols early

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

A recovered case isn’t cause for celebration.Well it is but most people will recover. It’s the bottleneck, if people are dying at this early stage, imagine it when it starts to sweep through the population

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Possibly bull****. There was similar stuff going around today about a Tesco that it was infected and had to be closed. They just had a malfunctioning shutter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the Woman who died today was being treated in Naas hospital at some stage during her Illness.

Is that correct or hear say?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Healthy people with the Covid 19 will need to stop being admitted to Hospital. Its a waste of an isolation room at this stage and it is a risk to Hospital staff and vulnerable patients.It is also a waste of resources e.g. PPE's which need to be preserved for a possible crisis. Young and otherwise healthy people with the Covid 19 ,in my opinion, would be perfectly fine to self isolate at home .The whole regime of shipping everyone off to Hospital with this has to stop !

Because they are relying on people actually self isolating and not being arseholes and spreading the disease further. It will reach that point.
    Listening to someone from department of education talking of disruption of leaving cert so on, WTF, I think far more is at stake than that. Close schools now until Sep, not difficult, geez.

It’s not just disruption to the LC - it’s the CAO and all college courses.
    Junior Certificate Exams should be cancelled. Use the mocks results. That is a total no brainer IMO.

LC different matter, but let's see. Oral exams upcoming.

My 3rd Years would lose their **** if their mock results were used. A chunk of the course isn’t finished so it’s not exactly representative.

I am all set up in case of school closure. I also sent an email today to all of my students outlining what I would like them to do in advance of any potential closures (eg bring exam papers home, register on a website, download e-book etc) and I am researching suitable videos and resources to share with them. Obviously I can’t monitor them doing it, but the option will be there for them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

All of them! It actually gave me a good laugh when it came up again, badly needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ANother death reported. Seems we are useless at saving those who have it

I'm sure if you go to the hospital you can show them how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

So 1 recovered while 9 more diagnosed and one dead.

Great news.

Can something like a green tick be added to posts we agree with?

A thanks under the above post just feels distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Beanybabog wrote: »
    This is what’s giving me hope for Ireland. In the absence of guidance and rules, organisations including private companies kicked into gear with their own contingency planning and made decisions to start implementing them even when they weren’t forced to.

What absence of guidance and rules? Dr Holohan is giving lengthy press conferences every evening at 6pm (which are televised live on News Now and where the media can ask dozens of questions).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

is_that_so wrote: »

Do you not wonder what the health authorities in Denmark are doing versus here? 3 weeks is an incredibly long time to wait and see. Italy had 3 cases 3 weeks ago. Now look where they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that’s probably horseshiiite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Still zero

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Boggles wrote: »
    What more in reality are we doing?

Cancelling a rugby match with the country with the 2nd highest infection rate in the world?

That's a no brainer, my cat could have made that decision.

As for Paddy's day, there was nothing left to cancel as all organizers collectively went, "we ain't waiting for guidance, Boggle's Cat knows we can't go ahead with them".

So what exactly have the HSE done, apart from made the bar so high for testing the criteria is you had to be skiing in Italy to get one.

:confused:

But the UK didn’t cancel things that were also a no-brainer. We did (parades, the rugby game) They didn’t (Cheltenham, Liverpool V Atletico, Atletico being a team based in a virus hotspot) What are you confused about?

As for the HSE, here is a list of things that Martina1991 has posted, measures taken. I suspect this won’t be good enough for you somehow. It’s easy to scoff whilst sitting on your hole, mashing a keypad.
    - Restricted visiting to a number of hospitals.
    - NAS staff providing a service to test people without having to come to A&E
    - Setting up isolation wards in hospitals
    - Increased training for staff on the front lines in the care of infected patients.
    - Number of patients on trollies reducing
    - HR policy for redeployment of staff in a crisis including the suspension of annual leave and perhaps pulling people back that have retired.
    - Cancelling outpatient appointments
    - Cancelling elective suregries to prevent ICU cases.
    - Extended testing facilities in other hospitals to increase testing capacity.
    (this should allow for broader testing criteria)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement