Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Paris St. Germain vs Dortmund being played behind closed doors,...

all the fans are outside the stadium, sounds like theres a war going on with all the fireworks

How did the players get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

My father's in Portugal at the moment. Personally I'll be keeping away from him for at least 2 weeks after his return date. Simply because he's been through 2 airports twice and two flights where he's been in close proximity to other travellers from God knows where. Imo a stupid decision to go on a holiday right now, even if it is such early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Strazdas wrote: »
    What absence of guidance and rules? Dr Holohan is giving lengthy press conferences every evening at 6pm (which are televised live on News Now and where the media can ask dozens of questions).

More than 140 characters you see. Can’t be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Why is there no mention in any of the major media outlets about the 1 recovered case in Cork?

Is that not good news?

When was this case first reported?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

terenc wrote: »
    Can we quarantine all them Irish Gob****es in England who went to Cheltenham or at least cancel the ferries and flights, let the English look after them.
    Take some pressure of our health workers. Look after the people in Ireland at this moment in time.

It`s already too late for that. Cheltenham has been on for 2 full days now and many people are already back in the country possibly having been exposed to the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I believe parents are already doing this. As a primary school teacher today and yesterday I’ve had the lowest number of pupil in my 6 years of teaching in this school.

I didn’t send mine in this week as my eldest has a lung condition and I am petrified he will get it. Won’t send them next week either if they are open If parents aren’t happy about schools still being open and they are able to mind the kids themselves I don’t see why they would send them in, especially if they have an underlying condition. We can still act responsibly without the HSE / DES telling us what to do. (I’m talking primary school, I can see at secondary that they may miss a lot. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Why is there no mention in any of the major media outlets about the 1 recovered case in Cork?

Is that not good news?

I think it would be important for stuff like this to be publisised more. It might go a little way in helping some people to keep things in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Do you not wonder what the health authorities in Denmark are doing versus here? 3 weeks is an incredibly long time to wait and see. Italy had 3 cases 3 weeks ago. Now look where they are.

Apparently they were handling it pretty poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭circadian

We're trying to acquire more ICU beds as it is. Providing intensive care isnt like throwing a few beds in a room.

I've no doubt the powers that be are trying to acquire all the medical equipment needed to get us through this.

We can't babysit everyone, healthcare worker or not. It's up to all of us to adhere to hand hygiene and isolation advice.

The distain on this thread for the people that are trying their best, working night and day to cope with this is so disheartening and frustrating.

This. The sheer desire to go against the grain and play this whole thing down is crazy.

It's up to everyone, we need well over 70% committed buy in to measures in place to succeed but I'm seeing an awful lot of people playing it down. Their ignorance will cost lives.

Thansk for all the hard work you're putting in, don't let the few showing disdain put you off. There's a bigger picture and I'm sure they'll quickly become a tiny minority in the weeks to come.

• Advertisement

Schools and public services will close. We know this. When is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

ANother death reported. Seems we are useless at saving those who have it

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Closing everything to early will just result in spreading the virus even more when we all go back to work and school before the number of infections has peaked.

Reducing human contact is what causes the drop/peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

sullivlo wrote: »

My 3rd Years would lose their **** if their mock results were used. A chunk of the course isn’t finished so it’s not exactly representative.

Oh I know. But realistically if the S hits the fan the JC is the one to ditch. Add on 20% for known unknowns. Be grand.

If such a thing happens all JC candidates will be fine really. Stream them, know their strengths and weaknesses, and let that be a guide for the LC subject choices.

Tough call I know, but desperate times and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From Guardian feed @20.05
    A Florida couple onboard a cruise ship stricken with the coronavirus has filed a $1m lawsuit against the boat’s operator, Princess Cruises, for failing to protect passengers amid the global Covid-19 outbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

125k global confirmed cases right about now, couple of weeks time and could well be counting by the million load.
    Spain is climbing very quickly, the 1st major country to warm up (24oC Madrid), might help assess if summertime will be of benefit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

It's going to lead to another recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 35,007 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My father's in Portugal at the moment. Personally I'll be keeping away from him for at least 2 weeks after his return date. Simply because he's been through 2 airports twice and two flights where he's been in close proximity to other travellers from God knows where. Imo a stupid decision to go on a holiday right now, even if it is such early days.

I flew to South Africa last week, were only six cases in Ireland when we were leaving, none in SA.

Can't believe how much it's jumped in a week. Absolutely dreading the flights home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

ANother death reported. Seems we are useless at saving those who have it

Where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Just for perspective, those are simple surgical masks and before they got sold out Boots were charging 10 euros for a box of 50 (3M branded).

Not saying people shouldn’t buy these - but these guys are making a killing her for what isn’t even the full protective thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

We’ve been fairly led astray on the dangers of this one. It’s looking like you’re in big trouble much younger than first said.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Abbey127 wrote: »

US stocks in freefall again today

Yeh i think we were on the verge of one anyway. This will just fast track it and make the impact 10 times worse.

Could be 2008/09 levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Beanybabog wrote: »
    This is what’s giving me hope for Ireland. In the absence of guidance and rules, organisations including private companies kicked into gear with their own contingency planning and made decisions to start implementing them even when they weren’t forced to.

I'm in a management role. There is plenty of official procedure and information. Tons of it.

It's updated daily.

It's both from hse and business groups.

Everything from signage to health tips to hr advice.

Absolutely no shortage whatsoever on information.

Apologies if it ruins your "hse is sh1te" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

If there is no decision and schools are due to open next Wednesday then I am making the decision to keep my children home ! I am well aware of all the stats and information and how it’s only people over a certain age that get it and how children aren’t affected etc but I’m honestly not willing to take the chance ! We all know this virus causes death , we all know the numbers are rising of cases and deaths and we all know that not everyone will be affected but I am not willing to play roulette with my kids or my parents lives ! Some people look at me like I’m crazy when I tell them my decision but if there is even a teeny tiny chance then it’s a teeny tiny chance I’m not willing to take !

But I’m hoping it won’t come to that and the people in charge will make this decision for all of us parents , because there are many parents terrified sending their kids to school but equally terrified of the trouble they may get into if they don’t send them so I’m really hoping the powers that be do the right thing !

A secondary school near me are still taking the kids on a trip to Spain , it’s absolute madness !
    Would anyone consider keeping their kids off school if they don’t close next week? I’ve a child in ty and I’d do it for sure.
    But then I’ve other family members who are working and doing their own things, so I don’t know if it would make much difference when it comes to bringing a virus home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

125k global confirmed cases right about now, couple of weeks time and could well be counting by the million load.
    Spain is climbing very quickly, the 1st major country to warm up (24oC Madrid), might help assess if summertime will be of benefit.

53000 active cases right about now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

That was a given a few weeks ago, when the stock markets got the jitters.
    The only bonus is that Oil might soon be cheaper than coolaid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Bob24 wrote: »
    Just for perspective, those are simple surgical masks and before they go sold out Boots were charging 10 euros for a box of 50.

Hickey's pharmacy charging €150 for a pack of 10 face masks earlier in the week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement