Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    My daughter is doing her junior cert this year and her school have sent out a notification that they got a directive from the board of education and they'll closing the school shortly and gave us instructions about home assignments.

I spent today getting systems ready for 3rd and 6th years. We were told probably this Friday for shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Picture please?

sick

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Climate change budget will take a hiding now

Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Yes family member is a principle on the midlands I’m hearing the same schools are being told to prepare for closures

Are they being told this Friday?...

600 of these cases should have been added to Tuesday's total though.

So it should read Monday: +1797, Tuesday: +1577 (not +977), today: +1713 (not +2313).

Not sure can we read any optimism into this though?? Thought yesterdays reduction was surprising, since a time lag from the lockdowns from last weekend plus behaviour modifications (hopefully are happening) wouldn't have time to kick in yet.

https://news.trust.org/item/20200311164349-hdd63

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Two local secondary schools closed in my area today just after 3.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Exact same rumours about school closures yesterday. Proof or stop the ****e talk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

gifted wrote: »

It's just rumours fgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's not like it was a fat fingered typo, you'd have ran with it had it not been pulled up.

It was a genuine typo on my part - I'm not one to spread lies or mistruths. I've apologised, so you can leave out the presumptions.

I was told this Friday because the school will be closed Monday and tuesday for paddy’s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

My apologies, I meant to write 50, not 10. My bad!

I still think that price is outrageous. What was the price before this outbreak in fairness?

Not just that but the masks offer no real protection against the virus.

The hand sanitizer is alcohol free, doesn’t list its ingredients, but states that it’s all organic. It also states that it kills all known viruses...the virus we’re dealing with is unknown. This is no better than soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Hand sanitizer needs to have at least 60% alcohol. Quick Google says this is alcohol free so not effective against coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

I was told this Friday because the school will be closed Monday and tuesday for paddy’s

Same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Just to reiterate. Schools and non essesntial public services / buildings will close. Im guessing an email will go around on Friday afternoon

D.Q wrote: »
    Exact same rumours about school closures yesterday. Proof or stop the ****e talk

Schools in poland have closed anyway

-lad in work sister is a teacher out there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The press briefing earlier was interesting from the test numbers point of view.

The initial use of the WHO approved test, through to the reason for switching assay.

Of particular note, and my compliments to all involved in this particular circumstance is the growth in test throughput in the NVRL.
    To ramp the throughput from the 50/60 per day avg of recent weeks to the 330+ per day avg over the most recent period is exceptional work.

It is no easy task to raise productivity to that extent and it can only point to the dedication and effort of the team involved.

Well bloody done!

The sooner the regional labs can step up to share this particular load the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

All I know is they have been told to prepare for shut downs They didn’t specify a day to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

As I said earlier on the thread, I got a text from my son's school (primary) who said they were not planning to close, following on from HSE advice. Only out of school activities cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Nah straight up 3.30 they locked their doors mind you they did the same thing yesterday.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭sudzs

#ClosetheSchoolsuk is trending on Twitter in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    All I know is they have been told to prepare for shut downs They didn’t specify a day to me.

Exactly. It's pretty much inevitable they'll be closed at some point, but at the moment it's rumour that they'll be told on Friday not to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

sudzs wrote: »

...started by students...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Everyone incl dept of education is expecting the HSE to close the schools at some point and with most closed Monday as well as Tuesday and the easter holidays coming up many expect the timing to be next week. Just because principles and department of education officials are guessing that doesnt make it true though Id guess the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Do they have some hidden knowledge that you don't? Why are you taking your manager as having the final say when it's clear that public health officials are mismanaging the situation? If you have a disability, depending on what it is, you are likely at higher risk of infection. If you have any underlying health issues, getting this in the next few weeks could mean that there won't be access to vital medical supplies that could save your life in the event that you are infected.

The public complacency surrounding this is going to result in absolute carnage, it's actually frightening to watch people walk around while there's a deadly virus running absolutely rampant up and down the country.

Our entire organisation is having a co-ordinated briefing tomorrow morning about it.

I spent the day getting teachers ready to work with office 365 and student training tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

sudzs wrote: »

If it was up to Twitter we'd have a Labour landslide government in the UK and Sinn Fein ruling in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'd say the schools are very close to being shutdown for a prolonged period of time. Creches will take the lead from this and close as well. This will be an absolute disaster for many parents out there who don't have the luxury of working from home.

IMO, the schools should try hold out until the Easter break and see what happens from there on.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

banie01 wrote: »
    The press briefing earlier was interesting from the test numbers point of view.

The initial use of the WHO approved test, through to the reason for switching assay.

Of particular note, and my compliments to all involved in this particular circumstance is the growth in test throughput in the NVRL.
    To ramp the throughput from the 50/60 per day avg of recent weeks to the 330+ per day avg over the most recent period is exceptional work.

It is no easy task to raise productivity to that extent and it can only point to the dedication and effort of the team involved.

Well bloody done!

The sooner the regional labs can step up to share this particular load the better.

Exactly... I'm thinking how easy self isolation will be compared to frontline staff who are facing this with diminishing resources... hats off to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hand sanitizer needs to have at least 60% alcohol. Quick Google says this is alcohol free so not effective against coronavirus

Well, unless it has hydrogen peroxide in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement