Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Schools more than likely will close Friday or wait to get the Paddy's weekend out of the way, then close that Wednesday. Most schools are closed Monday and Tuesday next week.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Nah straight up 3.30 they locked their doors mind you they did the same thing yesterday.:P

And they’ll do the same tomorrow, most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Hand sanitizer needs to have at least 60% alcohol. Quick Google says this is alcohol free so not effective against coronavirus

Fair enough! I wasn't planning on buying it myself, just posted it in case anyone else was in need. I didn't look any further into the ad, as it just popped up on my Facebook timeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

banie01 wrote: »
    The press briefing earlier was interesting from the test numbers point of view.

The initial use of the WHO approved test, through to the reason for switching assay.

Of particular note, and my compliments to all involved in this particular circumstance is the growth in test throughput in the NVRL.
    To ramp the throughput from the 50/60 per day avg of recent weeks to the 330+ per day avg over the most recent period is exceptional work.

It is no easy task to raise productivity to that extent and it can only point to the dedication and effort of the team involved.

Well bloody done!

The sooner the regional labs can step up to share this particular load the better.

It’s nice to see somebody acknowledge this amid all the kvetching.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/simoncoveney/status/1237838881158049792

This will drive a few up the wall in here...watch the stress levels now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Can we not all come together, hold hands in unison
    and have a massive midnight vigil, gathered closely around some candles, for this terrible situation.

No, wait don't do that.

I'll get out the 12v CB Radio out instead, and do a Channel 9 call-out from the 4m tower, for any survivors.
    Any copy backs, and will manual signal you a 20w directional beam, and morsecode-back (daily 0600hrs), the remaining head count from the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Gintonious wrote: »

Give it a few weeks......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

JRant wrote: »
    I'd say the schools are very close to being shutdown for a prolonged period of time. Creches will take the lead from this and close as well. This will be an absolute disaster for many parents out there who don't have the luxury of working from home.

IMO, the schools should try hold out until the Easter break and see what happens from there on.
    if it was up to some dodgers it would be closed till next year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Really? As far as I can see the only people getting "stressed out" are the people determined to try to act all cool and aloof and force how they're so unbothered by the whole thing by saying junk like "tis nothing, a sniffle". Most people are acting intelligently and accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's hilarious, wait for them to claim it's more lies and the "EU" asking the WHO to do it so that Ireland will roll over on Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

I spent today getting systems ready for 3rd and 6th years. We were told probably this Friday for shut down.

What sort of systems would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.statista.com/statistics/804762/main-causes-of-death-in-italy/
    Flu and Pneumonia kill 9400 people in Italy annually. Almost 10% of that number have died in Italy in the last 12 days, for anyone who still thinks it is comparable to flu or that undetected case are covering a very mild disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Will someone from Ireland tell Denmark to stop testing people, you have to keep the numbers low

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237828901000413186

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

hurikane wrote: »
    What sort of systems would they be?

The 3rd and 6th ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What’ll we give out about then when the schools close

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

That's because there are ****ing clowns around the country who think they know better than the experts. It's pitiful.

WHO have praised our response a few times now. Let the experts do their very difficult job and trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

238 new cases in Qatar... total cases jumps from 24 to 262 in one day !

https://virusncov.com/covid-statistics/qatar

Unbelievable and very scarey !

Appears to knock Trump's idea that sunshine and heat will affect the virus in any meaningful way.

Dont worry. We'll still have idiots on here saying we are over reacting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Maybe in a minority here, but I feel the Government responses and HSE effort have been commendable. We were the first country to announce a big investment in the problem. Traces have been fully mapped out and they have easily managed to find connections. Finding connections is a very easy way to prevent further spreading.

More cases will happen but I'm satisfied with the level of response the bodies have enacted upon.

And of course a big shoutout to the people out the fronts of it all. Doing a great job imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Having to take unpaid leave from work to mind them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

It’s a bit strange sitting around knowing that the number of infections will take off over the next two weeks and while the vast majority of people will recover some (Confirned Fatality Rate variations continue) won’t. After Covid will be a different world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Maybe in a minority here, but I feel the Government responses and HSE effort have been commendable. We were the first country to announce a big investment in the problem. Traces have been fully mapped out and they have easily managed to find connections. Finding connections is a very easy way to prevent further spreading.

More cases will happen but I'm satisfied with the level of response the bodies have enacted upon.

And of course a big shoutout to the people out the fronts of it all. Doing a great job imo.
    Get out with your Government loving :pac:

I agree though.

Obviously we have 10 times the cases but they are diagnosed. From what i can see they will only test as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/804762/main-causes-of-death-in-italy/
    Flu and Pneumonia kill 9400 people in Italy annually. Almost 10% of that number have died in Italy in the last 12 days, for anyone who still thinks it is comparable to flu or that undetected case are covering a very mild disease.

That’s terrifying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Scandinavian countries are in trouble. Makes sense why Denmark are starting to close down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Give it a few weeks......

That didn't take long.

Can I have your crystal ball for the lotto numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It’s nice to see somebody acknowledge this amid all the kvetching.

A large part of my previous professional life was process design, cycle time improvement and quality control.
    It's very, very hard to ramp output by the 500% the NVRL have managed without throwing resources at it.

In this particular case, if I've understood Miiike and Martina1991 correctly, the actual scientists carrying out the assay are the limiting factor.

And we can't just magic up those people, training and certifications.
    That they have ramped up to this extent, that they have driven so many tests through what is a process with specific timings is amazing work.

The folks in that lab have been at the coalface of this and are the arbiter of treatment decisions for every patient in the country until the other labs get up and running.

They deserve our support, respect and a massive fúcking bonus when this is all over.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    My daughter is doing her junior cert this year and her school have sent out a notification that they got a directive from the board of education and they'll closing the school shortly and gave us instructions about home assignments.

Will the teachers make the time up over the summer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement