Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    It’s a bit strange sitting around knowing that the number of infections will take off over the next two weeks and while the vast majority of people will recover some (Confirned Fatality Rate variations continue) won’t. After Covid will be a different world.

No it won't. It will be the same world. You would swear there will be dead on the streets and the whole place on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

What’ll we give out about then when the schools close

The HSE is the evergreen monolith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Gintonious wrote: »
    That didn't take long.

Can I have your crystal ball for the lotto numbers?

No. But if you have a look at Italy, Germany, France, the uk, scandanavia you will see. Try not to be flippant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

pad199207 wrote: »
    That’s terrifying

Is it? 10% in 12 days, so 100% of that number in 120 days (4 months).

Considering that the typical flu season is predominantly in Winter, is it that different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Just to say as a primary teacher we have received no information from the department regards closing. It's just assumed that we will be told to close but there has been nothing from any official organisation. Well we havent received anything anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

238 new cases in Qatar... total cases jumps from 24 to 262 in one day !

https://virusncov.com/covid-statistics/qatar

Unbelievable and very scarey !

Appears to knock Trump's idea that sunshine and heat will affect the virus in any meaningful way.

0 are serious though. Why is that I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

gifted wrote: »
    Are they being told this Friday?...

As a teacher in a primary school I would like to say that unfortunately schools have not been given a date that they will be closing. I attended a meeting about this yesterday. They said that it wasn’t the plan YET but was being reviewed on a daily basis. So no information on a closure date yet. Of course this could all change tonight or during the week.
    Personally I would like to see a school closure. Today we had an absence of 35% of the school which is very un usual in our school. I have offered work to take home to the families who are not attending, all seemed relieved at this offer. Some children have underlying conditions and others have their elderly grandparents living with them. Whatever the situation in this time I support them.
    Please if there is any other parents with worries about school attendance, contact your child’s teacher and ask for support also.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Having to take unpaid leave from work to mind them!

Not to sound unsympathetic, I'm in the same boat but some perspective here. My neighbour is a nurse in high dependency unit. She cannot take leave, unpaid or otherwise, she is so fearful of bringing this home to her family, she has banned all kissing and cuddles with her kids, she cannot visit her elderly parents . staying at home is a privilege compared to that scenario. Our children are safer at home once they are made stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Rte reporting 43 cases in Ireland.There are 61.Viruses don't know borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mehan2000

Daughter’s school just added her to Microsoft teams group for work during school closure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Maybe in a minority here, but I feel the Government responses and HSE effort have been commendable. We were the first country to announce a big investment in the problem. Traces have been fully mapped out and they have easily managed to find connections. Finding connections is a very easy way to prevent further spreading.

More cases will happen but I'm satisfied with the level of response the bodies have enacted upon.

And of course a big shoutout to the people out the fronts of it all. Doing a great job imo.

Voted SF. Really despise FG

But yeah, have to agree. I personally think they should shut the schools a bit quicker, but I’m overall positive about it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

A couple weeks ago whenever I saw the Colm Meaney ad I thought, hehe funny.
    Now when I see it it’s more like w****! Don’t bother coming back:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

1huge1 wrote: »

Considering that the typical flu season is predominantly in Winter, is it that different?

Deaths are not linear - they have been increasing every day
    At the rate they are going if will be a week or two before they outpace flu deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Will the teachers make the time up over the summer?

No kids will be on holidays.

padohaodha wrote: »

I think people have been very clear to emphasise the Republic of Ireland, I don't see the point in making this political, as you say, the virus knows no borders.

Pretty much every news report I've read has stated the numbers for the Republic and the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Will the teachers make the time up over the summer?

There was a circular published about this on Monday.
    The answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

First time logging on here today so apologies if this has been said already, but lots of rumours circulating about the army being prepared/training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

niallo27 wrote: »
    0 are serious though. Why is that I wonder.

I have no idea why... unless they did an enormous batch of tests today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So stupid. That would assume a consistent number of deaths always during that fortnight and that the 820 deaths were split evenly between days. But a week ago Italy was reporting 5-10 new deaths daily. Now, hundreds daily. Obviously as you know with the number of deaths recorded daily recently, coronavirus deaths would far far far far outstrip the number of deaths caused by flu in italy in the average year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Italy

Anyway its very frustrating to argue with people like you, seems like plenty of people on this thread would argue that it is flu until coronavirus strikes them dead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I made a decision earlier in the week to Stay the **** home - my husband has a compromised immune system and is firmly in the at risk category. I did a biggish shop on Monday (didn't bulk buy...) filled the car with diesel and got enough food items to keep us put for two weeks and from then I'm only going to leave the house for necessary appointments and smaller food items and/or order in.

I work from home. I got more done today than normal days and even got started on the veg garden - I have had to tell people not to call by.

And I'm setting up video groups for work and social chat.

We have a large reading list of books bought at Christmas to catch up on and many other pursuits to enjoy - I would happily encourage others who can do this, (retirees, homeworkers etc) to settle in - hopefully it will all be under control soon but at least it you're isolated - you're safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

They are reporting correctly 43 cases the Hse resources have to deal with 18 the NHS resources need to deal with why would they report it any other way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Speak Now wrote: »
    No kids will be on holidays.

This won’t be gone by summer by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'm in a management role. There is plenty of official procedure and information. Tons of it.

It's updated daily.

It's both from hse and business groups.

Everything from signage to health tips to hr advice.

Absolutely no shortage whatsoever on information.

Apologies if it ruins your "hse is sh1te" attitude.

That wasn’t what I meant. I don’t think the HSE are s**** and I have never said that. What I meant was without waiting to be told they specifically have to do x y and z some organisations took it upon themselves to act before they were forced. Not a dig at the HSE at all, more praise for people in other business taking steps proactively before their hand is forced. Obviously I didn’t word my post very well since people took issue with it. I meant I’m happy to see companies taking it so seriously without waiting to be pushed. It gives me great hope for us as country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Our health services do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Tomrota wrote: »
    Well I doubt she was brought from Dublin to Naas hospital unless the ICU’s are overcrowded in Dublin. So she must’ve been in the North Kildare region (Naas, Maynooth, etc.).

She was from Sallins. 3 more cases in Naas hospital from someone close to the Hosp.

wakka12 wrote: »
    So stupid. That would assume a consistent number of deaths always during that week and that the 820 deaths were split evenly between days. But a week ago Italy was reporting 5-10 new deaths daily. Now, hundreds daily. Obviously as you know with the number of deaths recorded daily recently coronavirus deaths would far far far far outstrip the number of deaths caused by flu in italy in the average year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Italy

Anyway its very frustrating to argue with people like you, seems like plenty of people on this thread would argue that it is flu until coronavirus strikes them dead

I asked a question, there's no need to call me stupid, I take your point and I thank you for the reply, not the tone.

People like you...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

238 new cases in Qatar... total cases jumps from 24 to 262 in one day !

https://virusncov.com/covid-statistics/qatar

Unbelievable and very scarey !

Appears to knock Trump's idea that sunshine and heat will affect the virus in any meaningful way.

Could that be because in the last 24 they have ramped up testing,
    Them cases where there yesterday just not found so in a way its good to see they are detecting them and hopefully isolating instead of having them in the public domain

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In my opinion, and only in my personal opinion, closing schools and colleges is a mistake. Why?

1) Young people themselves are not susceptible to the most severe effects

2) Closing schools will NOT stop community transfer among the young. Having kids and young adults without anything to do for perhaps 6 months is a very bad idea. They will still congregate, it will foster anti social behaviour, uncontrollable contact with God knows who and possibly lead to other undesirable effects, criminality, STDs or pregnancies, abuse, bullying of minorities associated with the origins of the outbreak. Obviously I don't mean all kids, but enough, and our authorities are going to have too much on their plate to deal with it.

3) Have them in school and college, teach and implement daily hygiene routines and remove any students or teachers who are immunocompromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You clearly have not being following the trend in deaths in Italy, every day the amount is more than the previous day so it will be more like 25% in 20 days, 40% in 30 days and so forth. The spread of viruses such as this and the expectant death rate is well modelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

So what... wait until a few people die, then try to stop it from spreading?

If we had people from the government trying to emphasize how important it was and people making unhelpful and ignorant comments online suggesting it's not that bad should have them deleted.

Of course I’m not saying that we should wait for a few people to die. That is extremely disrespectful to anyone and their families who will be unfortunate to pass away from this disease and not for one minute am I suggesting that. I feel we didn’t do enough to keep the disease importing from Italy however there is simply no way of keeping it out completely - the key is to slow it down so we can manage it.

Over the last few weeks I’ve repeatedly stated that I didn’t think there was enough being done to stop the spread in Ireland. E.g flight restrictions could have been put in place to slow it down and quarantine of people returning from *heavily* infected regions such as Italy. This is just my opinion - I am not medically trained nor qualified in this area nor are most people stating what we should or shouldn’t do. This is my opinion.

I was simply explaining the reason that self quarantine too early of an entire country does not make sense until needed as people won’t self isolate for too long so it’s important not to do it too early. This is was the reasoning the WHO gave earlier on. That is not to say certain gatherings shouldn’t be cancelled and people should prepare.
    I trust WHO and think Ireland left it to late to react but don’t think it’s sensible to quarantine everyone just yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement