Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Major test for society.

The "lockdown" so far has been anything but

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Fully expecting most workplaces not to reopen after the weekend.
    I'll be on here to say i told you so.
    fritzelly wrote: »
    So Italy starting to get serious now

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237846107733897224

we're more than a few days behind italy...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

So Italy starting to get serious now

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237846107733897224

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

I guess when this is all over and supplies come back online, every household in Ireland will have boxes of face masks and tubs of hand santizer stored on top of their wardrobes alongside iodine tablets...and in years to come the younger generations will be wondering what that's all about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237530338525507590

Paraguay closes all schools and bans gatherings of large groups of people after confirming second case. Population 6million.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I will confirm that principals have not received a date for school closure , unless I have missed an email since leaving work.

The dept. Will literally inform you hours beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

banie01 wrote: »
    A large part of my previous professional life was process design, cycle time improvement and quality control.
    It's very, very hard to ramp output by the 500% the NVRL have managed without throwing resources at it.

In this particular case, if I've understood Miiike and Martina1991 correctly, the actual scientists carrying out the assay are the limiting factor.

And we can't just magic up those people, training and certifications.
    That they have ramped up to this extent, that they have driven so many tests through what is a process with specific timings is amazing work.

The folks in that lab have been at the coalface of this and are the arbiter of treatment decisions for every patient in the country until the other labs get up and running.

They deserve our support, respect and a massive fúcking bonus when this is all over.

I worked in the NVRL for years, I can confirm the staff are just incredible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

gmisk wrote: »
    Yes.
    But I'm in CS.
    Massive rollout of laptops this week so people can work from home, as soon as we have a case in my building id say that is us working from home

I'm in CS too and we've had numerous emails re HSE advice and guidelines on sick pay etc. Our AP held a meeting on Monday just reiterating the advice from on high.

Sadly, not a hope of us being able to work from home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

This is getting too scarily close to one of those disaster movies you watch. :(

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237530338525507590

Paraguay closes all schools and bans gatherings of large groups of people after confirming second case. Population 6million.

Tony Holohan still looking loke a deer in the headlights meanwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

bb12 wrote: »
    I guess when this is all over and supplies come back online, every household in Ireland will have boxes of face masks and tubs of hand santizer stored on top of their wardrobes alongside iodine tablets...and in years to come the younger generations will be wondering what that's all about

I thought that about the clip on snow grips... then we had the beast from the east.
    I think we'd need a miracle to be left with stockpiles of those med supplies though :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In my opinion, and only in my personal opinion, closing schools and colleges is a mistake. Why?

1) Young people themselves are not susceptible to the most severe effects

2) Closing schools will NOT stop community transfer among the young. Having kids and young adults without anything to do for perhaps 6 months is a very bad idea. They will still congregate, it will foster anti social behaviour, uncontrollable contact with God knows who and possibly lead to other undesirable effects, criminality, STDs or pregnancies, abuse, bullying of minorities associated with the origins of the outbreak. Obviously I don't mean all kids, but enough, and our authorities are going to have too much on their plate to deal with it.

3) Have them in school and college, teach and implement daily hygiene routines and remove any students or teachers who are immunocompromised.

And what about these children passing around covid 19 in cramped conditions and bringing it home to Mammy, Daddy, Granny, Grandad, etc., and the whole health system collapses. Who brings the children to school if parents&community are all sick, who teaches a class of say 35 students if the teachers all contract it from the children which they will. A lot of schools do not even have hot running water. Children are on top of each other indoors in classrooms, bugs thrive. Where will schools get hand sanitizer if it’s running out everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The "lockdown" so far has been anything but

I saw a report on Sky tonight from Italy. It looked fairly severe. In Rome, there was more police than ordinary people on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The dept. Will literally inform you hours beforehand.

So how do you know it's happening on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Would it not go to your Gmail on your phone/iPad?

Philistine!

Have checked and there is no email regarding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

bb12 wrote: »

You might be right about the masks...I have zero and no intention of buying them.
    Hand sanitizer is handy anyway, I take it on bus and when walking dog anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

To expand on the order
    All shops will be closed except those for basic necessities, such as pharmacies and food. Home delivery is allowed." The activities of bars, pubs and restaurants are therefore suspended (all day and not only after 6 pm). While newsagents and tobacconists will be open.
    Industries will remain open but with "security measures". And then - explains the premier - "transport, agricultural activities, banking, insurance and postal services will be guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The situation is not improving

Screenshot-20200311-203122.jpg

Every country today has reported an increase in the rate of increase of new infections most notably South Korea and Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Mary Lou looks hale and hearty anyway.
    Thought she was in self-isolation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Has anyone elses employers not engaged in anyway with them regarding Cov?

Large multinational, quite the opposite actually. Huge changes in shift times, lunchtime segregation etc. Team of cleaners constantly cleaning door handles, handrails, all surfaces. Piloting work from home for those that can incase it is required.

I saw a report on Sky tonight from Italy. It looked fairly severe. In Rome, there was more police than ordinary people on the street.

Its being really adhered to. No messing etc and most streets are deserted.

If the Italians could go back two weeks they'd have done what they are doing now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Because while there is some who are screaming the sky is falling, the reality is there’s actually quite a lot to worry about.

It’s not a normal flu. They don’t close schools, they don’t cancel events, they don’t cancel the football leagues for a minor illness.

Look at how so many top governments are reacting, how top businesses are reacting.

This is serious. Look at how serious those in power are taking it, and realize that while panic is not good, an acceptance of the damage this will cause is needed.

I despise Leo Varadker. Think he’s a walking PR machine, and he constantly downplays crisis.

And even he’s saying half of us will get this, and refusing to deny thousands will die. And he absolutely would if he could.

This country is stupid at this point it's annoying, we have seen how these exact efforts play out in other countries and yet here we are like donkeys plodding along the same routine expecting different results.

Rather than skip this bull**** attempt at a containment phase and getting straight to the meat of it before it gets too far they will drag there heels and act shocked when it has spread like wild fire , good ole leo reels off 60% will be infected yet here we are schools still open , confirmations going ahead ect it's ****in madness

Children so far don't even show symptoms s but can pass it on...

We are asking it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

9 new cases today, one death and one recovery. The mass panic is herd mentality, if people can picture a nature documentary with a pack of gazelle reacting to one or two being startled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Trump will be addressing the nation at 1am our time.

https://kvia.com/your-voice-your-vote/politics/2020/03/11/trump-says-he-has-made-some-decisions-and-will-make-coronavirus-statement-wednesday-night/

Nothing gets Trump moving more than a stock market plunge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

https://twitter.com/declankinvara/status/1237484056587177986
    How do you do the embedded twitter link thing?
    Anyway, this guy's allegedly in UCHG allegedly recovering from coronavirus. The cake looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Contact and travel seems to be the main reason for our numbers
    21 Travel, 19 Contact and 3 community with the south leading

Hurrache wrote: »
    So how do you know it's happening on Friday?

More of a feeling i have seeing whats going on behind closed doors in Public Sector depts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Disgraceful people are been told to be responsible with flying, yet the airlines still have flights on willing to bring people on planes so they don't have to refund money.

They should be the responsible ones and give people their money back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Mary Lou looks hale and hearty anyway.
    Thought she was in self-isolation

No, she never said that. What she said was she would have to change her schedule as the school her teens attend was closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement