Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'm surprised at the number of cases in Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm in CS too and we've had numerous emails re HSE advice and guidelines on sick pay etc. Our AP held a meeting on Monday just reiterating the advice from on high.

Sadly, not a hope of us being able to work from home...
    Ah ok it would depend on your department I guess.

But chances are if case in your office you might be sitting at home in self quarantine with no work to do....lucky you! :)

AP here btw but communication from PO etc is fairly good here and easy going about working at home if suits role.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

9 new cases today, one death and one recovery. The mass panic is herd mentality, if people can picture a nature documentary with a pack of gazelle reacting to one or two being startled.

Honestly not sure which is worse, the doomsday merchants or the everything is grand crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

More of a feeling i have seeing whats going on behind closed doors in Public Sector depts.

So you don't know and are hedging so many bets by making random claims in the hope you can say I told you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

The situation is not improving

Every country today has reported an increase in the rate of increase of new infections most notably South Korea and Japan.

And I would question the figures from large poorer countries as I am sure there are numerous unknown deaths every day for any number of reasons.

• Advertisement

Mary Lou looks hale and hearty anyway.
    Thought she was in self-isolation
    She was at home for a day or two with her kids after a case at their school....Jesus Christ...I am not her biggest fan but to some people she can do no right, if she wasn't at home with them people would also be giving out!

Hurrache wrote: »
    Were you even alive in the year 2000? Because there was a **** load of work done to prevent it becoming the crisis it could have, like what's happening now.

Sorry, but that is bull****. Y2K was just a joke that got out of hand. It was never a threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

And I would question the figures from large poorer countries as I am sure there are numerous unknown deaths every day for any number of reasons.

Me too. The Chinese are definetley acting the bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DaveCliftonAP

Tony Holohan still looking loke a deer in the headlights meanwhile.

I actually think he's coming across quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Its being really adhered to. No messing etc and most streets are deserted.

If the Italians could go back two weeks they'd have done what they are doing now.

They were where we are now on the 21- 22 Feb, their cases skyrocketed after that.

We have a 19 day start... hopefully we learn what not to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Handwashing beats gloves.

Paper beats rock

Hurrache wrote: »
    So you don't know and are hedging so many bets by making random claims in the hope you can say I told you so.

Not random whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Honestly not sure which is worse, the doomsday merchants or the everything is grand crowd.

Everything is not "grand" but it's also not a doomsday scenario. I'm not sure why you think it's either or? Panicking is just ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sorry, but that is bull****. Y2K was just a joke that got out of hand. It was never a threat.

Nope, you obviously have no idea about the amount of work that went into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

9 new cases today, one death and one recovery. The mass panic is herd mentality, if people can picture a nature documentary with a pack of gazelle reacting to one or two being startled.

Come back in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I'm in CS too and we've had numerous emails re HSE advice and guidelines on sick pay etc. Our AP held a meeting on Monday just reiterating the advice from on high.

Sadly, not a hope of us being able to work from home...
    CS?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 haydoyo

43 cases in a population of 4,700,000. I won't be getting out my tin foil hat just yet.

Ban flights from affected regions and we should be okay.

They were where we are now on the 21- 22 Feb, their cases skyrocketed after that.

We have a 19 day start... hopefully we learn what not to do.

Exactly. Close schools, non essential serivces and postpone large gatherings of people. See where we are in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I know it’s not the flu, but for perspective, during this flu season, we have about 4000 cases with 100 deaths. If flu got the attention that Coronavirus does, we would be panicking.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    CS?
    CS=civil service :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

banie01 wrote:
    And we can't just magic up those people, training and certifications. That they have ramped up to this extent, that they have driven so many tests through what is a process with specific timings is amazing work.

The folks in that lab have been at the coalface of this and are the arbiter of treatment decisions for every patient in the country until the other labs get up and running.

They deserve our support, respect and a massive fúcking bonus when this is all over.
    The NVRL are amazing. They are pulling out all the stops to provide the service.

Just because the lab is behind the scenes, doesn't mean they aren't working as hard or care less than those that deal with patients.

It's a shame its taken a pandemic to cast the profession into the light. Any recognition is appreciated.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

skimpydoo wrote: »
    CS?

Sorry...Civil Service :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 haydoyo

Exactly. Close schools, non essential serivces and postpone large gatherings of people. See where we are in a month.

Really think there going to shut down pubs and clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

fritzelly wrote: »
    To expand on the order
    All shops will be closed except those for basic necessities, such as pharmacies and food. Home delivery is allowed." The activities of bars, pubs and restaurants are therefore suspended (all day and not only after 6 pm). While newsagents and tobacconists will be open.

Industries will remain open but with "security measures". And then - explains the premier - "transport, agricultural activities, banking, insurance and postal services will be guaranteed

I would have thought that transport be severely curtailed in a place on lockdown, surely public transport (assuming it is public transport rather than private) is one of the worst places for transmission (trains and buses).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

Me too. The Chinese are definetley acting the bollix.

Nowadays, u can trust Chinese figures more than the western ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237843470074515467

Definitely tuning in for this sh!t show.

The mad thing that this outbreak has shown me is that a lot of people do not clean themselves. Saw a queue for the sink in the men's toilets in a venue in Cork City yesterday for the first time in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I missed the one recovered person. Did they mention that at the 6pm briefing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

haydoyo wrote: »
    43 cases in a population of 4,700,000. I won't be getting out my tin foil hat just yet.

Ban flights from affected regions and we should be okay.

insert introduction to the exponential function :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

shinny wrote: »
    I missed the one recovered person. Did they mention that at the 6pm briefing?
    One person was released from CUH today, that's been confirmed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement