Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

My job has had enough. Done for at least three weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm in CS too and we've had numerous emails re HSE advice and guidelines on sick pay etc. Our AP held a meeting on Monday just reiterating the advice from on high.

Sadly, not a hope of us being able to work from home...

Spoke to someone in one department today who are being prepared to work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Today I was in Limerick and Tipperary with work. Handling foodstuffs. Tomorrow I will be in Kildare and Westmeath. Again handling foodstuffs.

I'm seeing lots of shops with no hand sanitizer out , staff handling coins and a general no real difference.
    In the beginning I wasn't overly concerned. Now that I'm taking note of how people are acting I am.

Seen very few Irish people wearing gloves at tills. Foreign till workers on the other hand are all wearing gloves I noticed.

I actually have not across a single Irish till worker wearing gloves which, in my view, is not the correct decision handling money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

namloc1980 wrote: »
    1c per transaction isn't the end of the world.

It's enough to cause confusion. I had an elderly aunt telling me "oh the bank are charging for the card now. I'll get out cash."

All she knew was she heard that they were charging now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Xertz wrote: »
    Meanwhile AIB decides to start charging for contactless transactions ... Great timing to discourage use and push people back over to cash!

infairness, its 1 cent a transaction. Dunno about you but it will prob cost me less then 2euro a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

France have 2300 cases, Italy 12,500, but Monaco have only 1. And we complain we don't count the N.I cases. Monaco is the meat in a diseased sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What happened to the numbers you were suggesting yesterday? I think it was you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Xertz wrote: »
    It's enough to cause confusion. I had an elderly aunt telling me "oh the bank are charging for the card now. I'll get out cash."

I assume you pointed out what's actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Oh no, I known exactly how much work went into heading off the impending doom of Y2K, every company in the world had teams working on it because all the PCs were going to crash at midnight and planes were going to fall out of the sky. Seriously, you must be the only person left on the planet who actually still believes it.

You literally just confirmed what I said, you've no idea outside the scope of, your words, "PCs". You evidently, your own evidence, have little understanding as to what the issue was.

Every company in the world did not have teams working on it, you don't understand the scope nor the technical issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

patsman07 wrote: »
    For anyone that's interested in the Science behind a lot of the actions our government is taking I'd recommend a listen here: https://samharris.org/podcasts/190-respond-coronavirus/

I felt a lot more reassured after listening to this. Judging by the expert guest on the podcast we are doing a good job so far. School closures are very useful when necessary, as they keep children from spreading the virus but also force a certain percentage of parents to stay at home, which reduces social interactions. He also states, without saying why it's the case, that all the models show that shutting down air travel has a very minimal impact on the spread of the virus.

The lack of community transmission so far is a major plus for us, although I do worry about lots of Irish people returning from Cheltenham. I hope they are advised to self isolate for a fortnight. We are in a far better situation than many countries at the minute. America in particular I think will be ravaged by this. We have very good public awareness, hopefully we can avoid the worst of it.

Agree it was a very good podcast. That and the guy Michael Osterholm on Joe Rogan were two of the best things I have lsitened to in regards the whole thing. I loved the way when Rogan went into wishy, washy territory Osterholm would cut him off with facts or completely divert the subject.

On the bolded bit. We have no idea on this. We are only testing people who have been in an effected area or who have had contact with a known case so we have no idea of the extent or lack of community infection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

patsman07 wrote: »
    For anyone that's interested in the Science behind a lot of the actions our government is taking I'd recommend a listen here: https://samharris.org/podcasts/190-respond-coronavirus/

I felt a lot more reassured after listening to this. Judging by the expert guest on the podcast we are doing a good job so far. School closures are very useful when necessary, as they keep children from spreading the virus but also force a certain percentage of parents to stay at home, which reduces social interactions. He also states, without saying why it's the case, that all the models show that shutting down air travel has a very minimal impact on the spread of the virus.

The lack of community transmission so far is a major plus for us, although I do worry about lots of Irish people returning from Cheltenham. I hope they are advised to self isolate for a fortnight. We are in a far better situation than many countries at the minute. America in particular I think will be ravaged by this. We have very good public awareness, hopefully we can avoid the worst of it.

Don't want to put a downer on a positive post but wait until we start testing the actual population not just a very small cohort of people who were abroad and have symptoms. That will truly tell where we are with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I did, but at the same time just thought it was a very odd move from a PR and public safety point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What happened to the numbers you were suggesting yesterday? I think it was you anyway.

The CIA got to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Seen very few Irish people wearing gloves at tills. Foreign till workers on the other hand are all wearing gloves I noticed.

I actually have not across a single Irish till worker wearing gloves which, in my view, is not the correct decision handling money.

I was in a super valu today in north Dublin and nearly every staff member had plastic gloves on, I saw maybe two without.

At least one main dealer for cars in waterford is no longer accepting money

Cant speak for others,was only in one

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Would you believe I saw the first person (in a corner shop) wearing gloves today, not sure I have ever seen it in Ireland, certainly cant remember it .

They are there. The numbers you were probably given by someone else are accurate with what I said to some but the numbers are not accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fritzelly wrote: »
    So Italy starting to get serious now

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237846107733897224

So like China, increasingly severe measures implemented gradually. When huge numbers more cases and deaths are reported in the next few days eventually all Italian people will not be allowed to leave their homes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

subpar wrote: »
    Latest travel alert from DFA

Novel Coronavirus

A significant number of cases of novel coronavirus (Covid-19) have been confirmed in Spain, on the mainland as well as the Balearic and Canary Islands. If you are in Spain, you should monitor developments regularly and follow the advice of local authorities.

The Spanish authorities have classified the following areas of Spain as being areas of significant transmission: Madrid, Vitoria and Labastida in the Basque Country and La Rioja. We recommend against all non-essential travel to these areas.

In what is an evolving situation, additional measures may be announced. It is recommended that you keep informed of these measures, by following the Embassy of Ireland, Madrid account on Twitter and keeping up-to-date with the latest official information/updates from Spanish authorities.

Glad I cancelled my canaries Holiday this week.

Anyway piss off anyone looking for any pm’s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/how-is-money-created

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Italian Doctors on twitter stating we are not being told the truth, not just old people , those with other health issues on deaths door with Covid19, plenty of 20 year olds are in serious trouble as well.

First-hand corona virus report from Italian health workers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3IlVzMVuTE

It's Wuhan all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Don't want to put a downer on a positive post but wait until we start testing the actual population not just a very small cohort of people who were abroad and have symptoms. That will truly tell where we are with this.

I'm presuming they'd have this (edit: start testing population) factored in to their analysis. I've been a big believer in shutting down before it spreads, but the more I learn, the more I start understanding the why behind the decisions made. Saying that I still don't understand it all 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Italian Doctors on twitter stating we are not being told the truth, not just old people , those with other health issues on deaths door with Covid19, plenty of 20 year olds are in serious trouble as well.

First-hand corona virus report from Italian health workers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3IlVzMVuTE

Governments trying to keep a lid on things so economys dont tank. If widespread testing was being carried out we'd be in the hundreds of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

[HTML][/HTML]

LinkedIn?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Can we quarantine all them Irish Gob****es in England who went to Cheltenham or at least cancel the ferries and flights, let the English look after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Should all blow over in a month then it will be back to business as usual with wall to wall coverage of the homeless crisis and climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Big building sites now scanning every worker for temperature when they arrive onsite.
    Relative of mine went into a hospital for outpatient appt today, seriously immuno compromised same as the others there waiting, and wore a mask to try protect against anything in the hospital. Everyone staring them out of it, nurses almost laughing at my relative, lots of snide remarks, and the covid signs only being put up in the hospital..... I despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

18 new cases today in Brazil, double that of yesterday.

¡Ay, caramba!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Glad I cancelled my canaries Holiday this week.

It must be disappointed, probably was looking forward to a change from the cage you normally keep it in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement