Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

gmisk wrote: »
    Government have already increased sick pay to 305 per week to private sector workers to stay at home if you have corona, same for self employed

I'd love to see the hoops one has to jump through to get this payment. It's very difficult to get money of the government at the best if times. How would one get paid if they aren't allowed to leave the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Xertz wrote: »
    I would very much like to see the number of cases being tested though for comparison.

I mentioned it in the post and provided a link: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing-10march

1631 tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Anyone read anything about a new drug being trialled..it has already been given to a patient in washington and some in China and have shown to dramatically reduce symptoms in critical patients? Its going into trials proper this week. Apparently going to be available in Ireland in 1 month according to Prof Luke o Neill?

Yes it’s used to treat arthritis and it’s from a family of drugs called interleukins. It’s an anti inflammatory type of drug, which is great because treatment of covid sufferers with steroids( which are used for lung inflammation such as asthma flare) actually led to worse outcomes for the patients. So this is a really positive small step in the battle against this bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I wish I worked for a company called Counter Strike!

Fire in the Hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Most masks only protect other people from the person wearing the mask they won't help protecting you against other potentially infected people. (Unless you go around wearing a repirator or something similar)
    Plus with most masks they need to be chucked after a single use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

If u get the virus can u work away or is it debilitating I'm a farmer so I would have no contact with other people if needs be(I could sleep away from my family)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

jokeshop wrote: »
    He'd be in the high risk category what with him being a fat 78 year old.

You must be quite the Adonis yourself.

Hurrache wrote: »
    You literally just confirmed what I said, you've no idea outside the scope of, your words, "PCs". You evidently, your own evidence, have little understanding as to what the issue was.

Every company in the world did not have teams working on it, you don't understand the scope nor the technical issue.

You can't fool me with your cow avatar, Hurrache, I know that you're really a sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Sorry if it has been posted already, but this (admitidly simplistic) chart summarises pretty well why containment is necessary in order not to overwhelm healthcare systems.

ES07spXWAAEGjO_?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

What with the Roman numerals in the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I think it got into the nursing home system over there which has driven up the numbers. Which is why the Dept of Health insistence that nursing homes here should lift their own visitor ban is bizarre.

Nursing Homes Ireland re-iterated their stance today on visiting restrictions. It is however a restriction and not a ban and each nursing home is free to do their own risk assessment and decide the criteria for what constitutes an 'essential visit'. I have decided for my nursing home that essential means someone is critically Ill or dying, or that someone with dementia is inconsolable without some family contact. In all cases, as youd expect, we will be compassionate to residents individual circumstances.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    If u get the virus can u work away or is it debilitating I'm a farmer so I would have no contact with other people if needs be(I could sleep away from my family)
    It hits people very differently seemingly so hard to tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Any comments from our President at all?

Seems like the type who would make sensible decisions to protect the citizens of the country.

That is a pretty interesting comparison alright, but should we not have a bit of an advantage being an island? Not as if we have rail or road links to other countries?

Denmark probably didnt have thousamds of tourists turn up from italy all at once??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

That is a pretty interesting comparison alright, but should we not have a bit of an advantage being an island? Not as if we have rail or road links to other countries?

They are a peninsula which is relatively sparsely populated and islands(Where Copenhagen is) with limited roads/rail in and out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Glad I cancelled my canaries Holiday this week.

In the area near Estepona that we go to often, a couple of bars and restaurants have been quarantined now. From residents that we know there.

Like yourself, glad to have postponed our Paddy's week trip now.

But we are probably as vulnerable here, but at least we are at home.

kevthegaff wrote: »

If you get the virus, you would be well advised to ask your doctor/public health/whoever treats you that question. Pushing a pen in self isolation at home is rather different to the physical labour involved in farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Nothing to really add, other than I’m not ashamed to say I’m very worried.

Reading the last week or so about the scenarios in the Italian hospitals are truly frightening and I expect the same /worse for here

I’m not buying into the elderly only nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Tzardine wrote: »
    What with the Roman numerals in the thread title?

Covid 19 - Covid XIX

Beasty humour - Italy/Roman numerals, when I woke up this morning I thought I had missed XIII threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Seems like the type who would make sensible decisions to protect the citizens of the country.

The President of Ireland makes no decisions.

He has no constitutional role in any decision making. Best he can do is stay at home and maybe issue some sort of recorded cheer leader type message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

fritzelly wrote: »
    Covid 19 - Coid XIX

I know that. But why use Roman numerals? Whats the point.

Edit - Its edgy humor apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Leo should stay at home instead of photo ops with a stupid bowl of shamrock and an orange faced baboon. Send Mickey D if someone must go.

Assuming they haven't left already I don't think anyone will be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

El presidente is in a bunker under phoenix park consulting with his generals.
    Imminent declaration of emergency powers and martial law.
    He is taking control of the process.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

He is busy he has to pet those big dogs of his in viral videos :)

Not really his place let's be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Tzardine wrote: »
    I know that. But why use Roman numerals? Whats the point.

Italy, Romans...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

If things get rough soon, I think I’ll dust off the VR headset and stay in there as long as I can : )

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Seriously...what is everyone so worried about?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

DUe to travel to new york on Friday morning between minds about what to do. Aer Lingus not offering assistance with movement of flights without charging

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement