Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Nothing to really add, other than I’m not ashamed to say I’m very worried.

Reading the last week or so about the scenarios in the Italian hospitals are truly frightening and I expect the same /worse for here

I’m not buying into the elderly only nonsense

We can only go by the stats, which support this predominantly targets older people.

That's not to say younger people won't be affected. Just to a lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Assuming they haven't left already I don't think anyone will be going.
    I thought they were already gone?
    Madness not to cancel these jaunts but hey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

People are cancelling holidays to the Canaries?
    Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Bob24 wrote: »
    Sorry if it has been posted already, but this (admitidly simplistic) chart summarises pretty well why containment is necessary in order not to overwhelm healthcare systems.

ES07spXWAAEGjO_?format=jpg&name=large

The peak of the yellow part is roughly three times higher than the flattened curve. If our yellow part is the worst case 1.9 to ~3m that is being talked about, we are equally fcuked if it's only one third of that. Even rounding down, the amount of people that would require treatment from 500,000 cases would need to be spread over many years for our health service (and I suspect every country's) to be able to deal with it.

He has no constitutional role in any decision making. Best he can do is stay at home and maybe issue some sort of recorded cheer leader type message.

He'll have to sign the emergency laws into law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mickey15ie wrote: »
    DUe to travel to new york on Friday morning between minds about what to do. Aer Lingus not offering assistance with movement of flights without charging

Watch Trumps speech live then decide.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Seriously...what is everyone so worried about?!
    Maybe look at Italy?
    Do we want to be in the same position in a couple of weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Just a few short weeks ago the mainstream media were telling us there was nothing to worry about and the risk of it spreading in Ireland was low...

And non mainstream will lead you down tinfoil lined rabbit holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but 9 new cases from 34 is a 27% increase, which implies the cases will more than double ever 3 days. Just to do the math for you a little:

13/03/20 53
    14/03/20 68
    15/03/20 87
    16/03/20 110
    17/03/20 140
    18/03/20 179
    19/03/20 227
    20/03/20 289
    21/03/20 368
    22/03/20 468
    23/03/20 596
    24/03/20 759
    25/03/20 966
    26/03/20 1,229
    27/03/20 1,564
    28/03/20 1,991
    29/03/20 2,534
    30/03/20 3,225
    31/03/20 4,104
    01/04/20 5,223
    02/04/20 6,648
    03/04/20 8,461
    04/04/20 10,769
    05/04/20 13,706
    06/04/20 17,443
    07/04/20 22,201
    08/04/20 28,256
    09/04/20 35,962
    10/04/20 45,769
    11/04/20 58,252
    12/04/20 74,139
    13/04/20 94,358
    14/04/20 120,092
    15/04/20 152,845
    16/04/20 194,530
    17/04/20 247,584
    18/04/20 315,106
    19/04/20 401,045
    20/04/20 510,420

That is where Italy are headed, hence the complete shutdown they are facing. We need to slow down the doubling rate and get as many people infected within the capacity of our hospitals as possible.

This maths implies we can test enough people to achieve those numbers of infection. As such, it is interesting but not very practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

mickey15ie wrote: »
    DUe to travel to new york on Friday morning between minds about what to do. Aer Lingus not offering assistance with movement of flights without charging
    Have to say, Aer Lingus have been fairly poor in their handling of this whole thing. I'd say they're bricking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

So Washington just declared a state of emergency, Leo must have landed. Ah sure a good old shniff of a bouwl a shamrock and he’ll be immune to the old coronavirus ☘️

Quote: Blueshoe
    Today I was in Limerick and Tipperary with work. Handling foodstuffs. Tomorrow I will be in Kildare and Westmeath. Again handling foodstuffs.

I asked my fishman today was he going to be using card payments, he said that he hadnt good enough signal in some the towns he goes to. But he did say he had a sponge wuth disinfectant ehen handling cash. He'd have to have good hygiene in general anyway.

The lad your quoting has had about five different jobs according to their posts since joining the site, the last time they were a non Irish Facebook employee, I'd believe nothing they post, but that goes for a few posters on here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

France has around 2k cases.

Germany has 1.5k cases.

Italy has over 10k cases and a 4% fatality rate.

It doesn't take a genius to work out something is wrong with the way Italy is handling it.

There is something unique about the situation in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

kevthegaff wrote: »
    If u get the virus can u work away or is it debilitating I'm a farmer so I would have no contact with other people if needs be(I could sleep away from my family)

25 year old guy on the radio this morning, who has now recovered, was in bed for four days with a high fever. He said with was debilitating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

They’re keeping Mickey D in a glass jar with a few air holes bet into the top with a fork. Like when you used to catch bees.
    I picture him bored waking around his mahoosive gaff like Megamind when Metro Man was gone from the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

jokeshop wrote: »
    Here i'll post the entirety of that threads content:

Practice basic hygiene.
    Most people (90%+) will be mildly ill/won't even realise they have it.
    If you feel sick then don't go to work/school and ring the helpline or whatever.
    If your immune system is ****e or you are old ,then, best of luck! Another bullet to dodge!
    Not that you care but:

6% become critically ill - lung failure, septic shock, organ failure and risk of death.
    14% develop severe symptoms - difficulty breathing and shortness of breath.
    80% develop mild symptoms - fever and cough and some may have pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ES26LuxU8AEl1nm?format=jpg&name=medium

Look at the trajectory for the United States...

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Reading the last week or so about the scenarios in the Italian hospitals are truly frightening and I expect the same /worse for here

I’m not buying into the elderly only nonsense

Is that not the trend across all affected countries though? As in, it's affecting the elderly the most?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Good on you, and why the heck would you not be worried, everyone is, even if they don't/won't admit it.

There is too much bravado around, and slagging off of those who are observing the best practice rules. Typical Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭blackcard

Leo should stay at home instead of photo ops with a stupid bowl of shamrock and an orange faced baboon. Send Mickey D if someone must go.

I think if Trump offers to shake Leo's hand, Leo should turn down the offer, it would be giving a good message to 2 countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Assuming they haven't left already I don't think anyone will be going.

Good if that's the case. Ridiculous dated display of paddywhackery, along with annual pleading for the illegal Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭banie01

screamer wrote: »
    So Washington just declared a state of emergency, Leo must have landed. Ah sure a good old shniff of a bouwl a shamrock and he’ll be immune to the old coronavirus ☘️

Washington State =/= Washington D.C ;)

There's @ 3000 miles in the difference.

Just learned that D.C has also declared a state of emergency.
    Carry on Screamer
    Carry on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I have a family member with Crohns Disease/Colitis.

Should we be concerned can someone please answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Is there a reason why we are so behind on shutting schools etc Denmark have just done it too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

All the way baby all the way, says the don

I posted yesterday about some us colleagues of mine who believe it’s all bull, all hype and less than seasonal flu..... they don’t realise it yet, but they’re fooked, awful stuff, and zero point trying to argue with them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Why so?

Airports, Gatherings of large groups of people, Hotels that host large gatherings of people from all countries worldwide ...alot from badly effected countries. Do i need to go on?

Why so?
    My folks literally just coming back from canaries today, I wouldn't be cancelling if I had a holiday booked, a lot worse places to be not sure if they any cases?

Not to politize this,but surely this will drive people to that ould lad that wants to bring in free healthcare over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

kevthegaff wrote: »
    If u get the virus can u work away or is it debilitating I'm a farmer so I would have no contact with other people if needs be(I could sleep away from my family)

Varies hugely. Ranges from people being more or less symptom free to other
    people needing ICU treatment very quickly. Most people will experience fever and a dry cough and the rest of the symptoms can vary - some will have a wet cough, some runny nose. Very dangerous for people with a whole host of underlying conditions.

I'm just some randomer from the internet and I don't stand by this so please look this up for reputable sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The peak of the yellow part is roughly three times higher than the flattened curve. If our yellow part is the worst case 1.9 to ~3m that is being talked about, we are equally fcuked if it's only one third of that. Even rounding down, the amount of people that would require treatment from 500,000 cases would need to be spread over many years for our health service (and I suspect every country's) to be able to deal with it.

To be clear, this is a very generic chart to explain the concept of containment mesures - it is not meant to represent exactly what happens with Covid-19 (and of course the difference between the two curves will depend on how severe containment measures are - in Wuhan they actually contain so much that they suppressed he epidemic but that was a the cost of strictly locking down everyone at home).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement