Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Schools closing will lead to a surge in kids going to the cinema, shopping centres, bowling etc etc.
    Thats why you close them as well , lockdown is lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest from Germany land

868,w=756,q=high,c=0.bild.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Corona virus has replaced Brexit.
    Yes its a **** virus, no you're unlikely to contract it. BBC reckon because of the understated infection numbers the death rate could be closer to 1% bringing it in line with seasonal flu.

Stop panicking, be vigilant but my god stop the apocalypse discussion.

This virus has 10-20 times the fatality rate of flu, why do you refuse to accept this?

Meanwhile Denmark has has 514 confirmed cases, up 10-fold since Monday.
    Much worse than Ireland. Does this reflect a real difference, or less testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

fritzelly wrote: »
    So is this a new case, one of the ones confirmed today or what
    This in the east, south, west is crap - they should be giving a narrower region - it's not like we can guess who it is

unknown todays lot were 2 males in east associated with travel, 1 male in east of country associated with contact with confirmed case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Yes its a **** virus, no you're unlikely to contract it. BBC reckon because of the understated infection numbers the death rate could be closer to 1% bringing it in line with seasonal flu.

Oh goodness we’ve had 6 threads of this now.

Seasonal flu kills 0.1-0.2% of the people who get it, depending on whether or not it’s a very bad strain.

Even a 1% death rate for Coronavirus would be catastrophic if it spreads exponentially as feared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Off-topic a bit . I was talking to a friend about bats yesterday. Although it isn't 100% confirmed that it they are the original hosts i found this article interesting . Apparently they have a fierce immune system to viruses in general.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200210144854.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

The primary equipment used apparently is ventilators (which stands to reason given the nature of the symptoms). Will there be enough available at any one time is the big question.

Couldn’t be. Which is why it needs to be slowed down as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Check yourself for SARS you have gone beyond corona .
    Not an answer to the question I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Need to urgently get a few military facilities e.g. military hospitals and barracks upgraded and ready to take the overflow of patients if needed

I read the other day we used to have 3 military hospitals but no there are none.

Hi all,

A few notes:

1)There is no need to stockpile medications. We have supplies. Do not present to A+E seeking medication. There is no short supply medications at the moment.

2) We had our first death today and it is only going to get worse but there is no undue need to worry (as of yet). Handwashing is our main defence at the moment.

3) Three main medications available:chloroquine, remdesivir and Keletra. These are been reserved for patients who are critically ill. These are in short supply and will be tightly restricted. The vast majority of patients will not have access to these medications.

4) If you need to present to OPD appointments, ring themt o see if they are essential, if a consultant does want to see you, I would imagine risk to your general health of not attending is greater than your risk of attaining Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Seasonal flu mortality rate is more like 0.1% So 1% would 10 tens that rate. And the 1% is best case scenario with ICU beds available. It will head north of 5% if ICU beds are overwhelmed.

Won't happen. The Military hospitals don't have the facilities anymore after little to no investment over the last 10 to 15 years. Also we used to have field hospitals that could have been deployed and have previously been deployed overseas before but now due to the constant cutbacks these don't exist anymore.....

Also remember, the personnel in the Military will also get this virus and aren't immune to it so they will be stretched covering basic security duties without factoring in helping out prison staff and fire service...

But tv tells us.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I'm really full of despair now. Anyone with a brain can see how it started "slow" in Italy and now they're on the brink of disaster. And other countries, namely France and Germany, are following the same trajectory! It's literally a matter of the incubation period playing out. What is to stop this and worse happening in Ireland and the UK? Any answers much appreciated. I think sadly this is the "big one" and I could be saying an early goodbye to many relatives here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,466 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Thats why you close them as well , lockdown is lockdown.

What about people having house parties and the like.

Are you expecting them to be stopped as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Schools closing will lead to a surge in kids going to the cinema, shopping centres, bowling etc etc.

Not sure that it will. Many parents will be ultra cautious and quite a few will be cash strapped if work-places start closing.
    The wife of a work colleague of mine spent her lunch hour today being instructed on how to do lessons on-line via skype / conference calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Need to urgently get a few military facilities e.g. military hospitals and barracks upgraded and ready to take the overflow of patients if needed

I heard a former Army Doc who is a new TD turns out due to cut backs they dont have sny med hospital or dont have the facilities they used to have.

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Seasonal flu mortality rate is more like 0.1% So 1% would 10 tens that rate. And the 1% is best case scenario with ICU beds available. It will head north of 5% if ICU beds are overwhelmed.

Now flu is down, it used to be higher but the Earth kept turning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Phibsboro wrote: »

Link?

• Advertisement

rosiem wrote: »
    It is indeed going to cause panic stating what the underlying condition of the poor deceased lady Is on a public forum with no proof never mind distasteful to speculate.

My partner in 40 not old or infirm but with the same disease but is taking all the precautions advised but they are worried and this is scaremongering.

And you were quite right, the poster that claimed the lady who died had crohns was lying to wind another poster up. It could indeed be very frightening for people to read that as fact if they or loved ones have similar medical issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lets be realistic, what is happening in Italy will most likely happen here in a few weeks.
    Italy has closed down everything except pharmacies and food shops.
    Now the Irish Government has said if you self Isolate from Covid-19 you will get €305 per week.
    Shop workers on €10 per hour, probably bring home €330 for a 39 hour week are not going to go to work and risk getting sick.
    If you aint got a months worth of food in by the week end , you will be in trouble.
    Denmark announced a lockdown tonight, reports online are people descended on the shops like a plague of locusts.

***Rumour***
    Whats app photos doing the rounds, Irish army is preparing for the worst, orders to be ready to go by 16 March

What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,466 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

fr336 wrote: »
    I'm really full of despair now. Anyone with a brain can see how it started "slow" in Italy and now they're on the brink of disaster. And other countries, namely France and Germany, are following the same trajectory! It's literally a matter of the incubation period playing out. What is to stop this and worse happening in Ireland and the UK? Any answers much appreciated. I think sadly this is the "big one" and I could be saying an early goodbye to many relatives here.

On the brink.. it's passed that now.

It's a catastrophe for Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What about people having house parties and the like.

Are you expecting them to be stopped as well?

It's not about stopping the spread, that's impossible. It's taking measures to slow it enough for our health system to cope or at least cope better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Lets be realistic, what is happening in Italy will most likely happen here in a few weeks.
    Italy has closed down everything except pharmacies and food shops.
    Now the Irish Government has said if you self Isolate from Covid-19 you will get €305 per week.
    Shop workers on €10 per hour, probably bring home €330 for a 39 hour week are not going to go to work and risk getting sick.
    If you aint got a months worth of food in by the week end , you will be in trouble.
    Denmark announced a lockdown tonight, reports online are people descended on the shops like a plague of locusts.

***Rumour***
    Whats app photos doing the rounds, Irish army is preparing for the worst, orders to be ready to go by 16 March.

Irish army ready to go? I love the lingo you are using. Ready to go where exactly? Enforcing martial law?

rosiem wrote: »
    It is indeed going to cause panic stating what the underlying condition of the poor deceased lady Is on a public forum with no proof never mind distasteful to speculate.

My partner in 40 not old or infirm but with the same disease but is taking all the precautions advised but they are worried and this is scaremongering.

I agree it was distasteful to speculate- and I hope your partner stays safe. But If you have an underlying condition, regardless of age, you’re classed as vulnerable - and if someone with such illnesses, especially respiratory related, it’s potentially deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Not sure if already posted, but a potentially interesting development:-

https://twitter.com/DelthiaRicks/status/1235886208372310016?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Do we have more than one, St Bricin's hospital is the only one I know of

There are plenty of empty buildings in barracks around the country

Places like boarding schools could be closed and the rooms commandeered to provide isolation units
    Same with some hotels. Shut them and take them over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

1% is at least 10 times the death rate of flu.

And it's possible that at least half of us will contract it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, but even leading experts admit they have no idea what will happen with future growth of the virus.

Viruses are extremely unpredictable and can hit peaks and then go back into decline again (if we took the exponential growth theory to its logical conclusion, all 8bn people on the planet would be exposed to the virus within months).

Watch the video as it explains the logistical curve that an exponential one eventually matures into. How far it spreads is highly dependent on our actions and is highly sensitive to it, as China, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan have proven. What we know is our leaders are repeating the mantra of 50-60% infection being possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement