Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Corona virus has replaced Brexit.
    Yes its a **** virus, no you're unlikely to contract it. BBC reckon because of the understated infection numbers the death rate could be closer to 1% bringing it in line with seasonal flu.

Stop panicking, be vigilant but my god stop the apocalypse discussion.
    The seasonal flu doesn't kill 1 percent of people who get it I think in the US it is about 0.1%.
    Things are only starting here when it comes to numbers. We could be like Italy in a few weeks.
    I had atypical viral pneumonia (which seemingly corona can lead to) when I was 19 it is no fecking joke.
    It's not the apocalypse but a lot of lives are likely to be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

What about people having house parties and the like.

Are you expecting them to be stopped as well?
    Pretty ****ing irresponsible if the country is in lockdown and you have a party with everyone sharing cans of dutch and roll ups

• Registered Users Posts: 13,466 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not sure that it will. Many parents will be ultra cautious and quite a few will be cash strapped if work-places start closing.
    The wife of a work colleague of mine spent her lunch hour today being instructed on how to do lessons on-line via skype / conference calls.

After a couple of days all the good intentions will end and the kids will be let back out.

Let's see what happens in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Slowing down the spread thus supporting our over worked heath service.

Question was about wwii, you missed the thread of the conversation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Where are you getting this from?

Via email from the Dean of Health Sciences.

There's an article in the University Times about it now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Hospitality industry overall maybe, not hotels. But that would presumably include related industries such as food suppliers to hotels etc... Credible number.

Yes. See here from 2016: https://gradireland.com/career-sectors/hospitality-sport-leisure-and-tourism/employment-trends-in-tourism-and-hospitality
    The tourism and hospitality industry in the Republic of Ireland employs between 150,000 and 250,000 employees across all areas (depending on which criteria you use)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hi all,

A few notes:

Welcome back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,466 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Pretty ****ing irresponsible if the country is in lockdown and you have a party with everyone sharing cans of dutch and roll ups

That may be so, but lots of people will suit themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What about people having house parties and the like.

Are you expecting them to be stopped as well?

Maybe lock them in. There's enough to worry about without other people's stupidity adding to it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Off-topic a bit . I was talking to a friend about bats yesterday. Although it isn't 100% confirmed that it they are the original hosts i found this article interesting . Apparently they have a fierce immune system to viruses in general.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200210144854.htm

I used to work with our local bat group here.

They are fascinating creatures, very important for our biodiversity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

It did not lock down

Because it wasn't a highly contagious disease. Do I really have to explain the difference? You can hide in a shelter from bombs once you have a bit of warning.

Tell me how you hide from something like coronavirus?

I'll give you a clue - it starts with L and ends with N.

tuxy wrote: »
    It's not about stopping the spread, that's impossible. It's taking measures to slow it enough for our health system to cope or at least cope better.
    You’d think at this stage people would have got the importance of slowing down the spread, but it just doesn’t seem to connect in some people’s brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

The primary equipment used apparently is ventilators (which stands to reason given the nature of the symptoms). Will there be enough available at any one time is the big question.

I posted about this earlier.. if a person need oxygen they should ensure tanks are full or consider getting an o2 concentrator to buy or hire if lungs are compromised. I can't recall source but did read that respirators will be tricky to procure should numbers rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Schools closing will lead to a surge in kids going to the cinema, shopping centres, bowling etc etc.

And the parents perspective, very true:-

https://twitter.com/fod3/status/1237798371500449793?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Corona virus has replaced Brexit.
    Yes its a **** virus, no you're unlikely to contract it. BBC reckon because of the understated infection numbers the death rate could be closer to 1% bringing it in line with seasonal flu.

Stop panicking, be vigilant but my god stop the apocalypse discussion.
    Seasonal flu is 0.01%. 100 times lower. It's just that so many people get it, it kills about 1000 per day globally.

But I do agree, some people are overreacting.

Off-topic a bit . I was talking to a friend about bats yesterday. Although it isn't 100% confirmed that it they are the original hosts i found this article interesting . Apparently they have a fierce immune system to viruses in general.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200210144854.htm

Isn't the Pangolin supposed to be the most likely source, with bats being the link betweeen them and humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Every day is a learning day
    I got an email today from BA saying their air on board is hospital grade hepa filtered,destroying bacteria and viruses

That would explain why only people a few seats around corona virus patients who flew were contact traced instead of everyone on board

Heres a 10 year old article that explains the process

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34708785/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/airplane-air-not-bad-you-think/

Heres an extract from BA's email
    BA wrote:
    ENHANCED AIRCRAFT CLEANING
    The cleanliness of our aircraft is of utmost importance. We have reviewed and made changes to our cleaning programme for aircraft including increasing our cleaning teams and audit inspections. Our disinfectant cleaning fluids are used on every aircraft after each flight to thoroughly clean all hard surfaces in the cabins and lavatories.

All our aircraft are fitted with HEPA filters which remove particulate and bacterial contamination and provide passengers with clean air. They provide the same level of air filtration as hospital operating theatres.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Because it wasn't a highly contagious disease. Do I really have to explain the difference? You can hide in a shelter from bombs once you have a bit of warning.

Tell me how you hide from something like coronavirus?

I'll give you a clue - it starts with L and ends with N.

Linen?

Lets be realistic, what is happening in Italy will most likely happen here in a few weeks.
    Italy has closed down everything except pharmacies and food shops.
    Now the Irish Government has said if you self Isolate from Covid-19 you will get €305 per week.
    Shop workers on €10 per hour, probably bring home €330 for a 39 hour week are not going to go to work and risk getting sick.
    If you aint got a months worth of food in by the week end , you will be in trouble.
    Denmark announced a lockdown tonight, reports online are people descended on the shops like a plague of locusts.

***Rumour***
    Whats app photos doing the rounds, Irish army is preparing for the worst, orders to be ready to go by 16 March.

Who qualifies for the 330 and if your an essential worker ie a nurse in a&e or paramedic, will the danger your working within be recognised?

Don't see what the military can do. They aren't doctors and have little medical abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Now the Irish Government has said if you self Isolate from Covid-19 you will get €305 per week.
    Shop workers on €10 per hour, probably bring home €330 for a 39 hour week are not going to go to work and risk getting sick.
    If you aint got a months worth of food in by the week end , you will be in trouble.

People will need a medical note to claim sick leave, it's not a case of just not turning up.

And a months worth of food is unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

So.... Dealing with infected and not infected people?

Dedicated covid19 crews/practitioners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

This virus has 10-20 times the fatality rate of flu, why do you refuse to accept this?

Meanwhile Denmark has has 514 confirmed cases, up 10-fold since Monday.
    Much worse than Ireland. Does this reflect a real difference, or less testing?

Denmark are two days further in than us and have done less tests than us: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing-10march

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Every day is a learning day
    I got an email today from BA saying their air on board is hospital grade hepa filtered,destroying bacteria and viruses

That would explain why only people a few seats around corona virus patients who flew were contact trace instead of everyone on board

Heres a 10 year old article that explains the process

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34708785/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/airplane-air-not-bad-you-think/

Heres an extract from BA's email

Given how it spread via people travelling overseas you'd expect a lot of air line workers to be infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

It is shameful if young people are not being warned adequately about the dangers that this poses to them.

It poses very little danger to young people.

Juanito13 wrote: »
    Dedicated covid19 crews/practitioners

Now what I asked if it?

The crews see Still dealing with infected and non infected and going from one place to the other.

If it's the Doomsday illness some here seem to be getting excited about, they are spreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

On a side note, I read earlier that Trolley Watch numbers in A+E are way down the last few days.

People either checking out, or messers clogging the system afraid for their lives, not others'.

This phenomenon needs analysis for the future like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.1177.se/Stockholm/sa-fungerar-varden/varden-i-stockholms-lan/om-corona/laget-i-stockholm-just-nu/
    Sweden is the fourth european country to announced they will stop testing mild cases and now only test for more serious hospitalised cases.

Its also important to note that France and Switzerland announced this several days ago and Netherlands today. So all the new cases in France and Switz were apparently just the more serious ones today. It may be why Spainish cases appeared to grow faster than France just today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There are plenty of empty buildings in barracks around the country

Places like boarding schools could be closed and the rooms commandeered to provide isolation units
    Same with some hotels. Shut them and take them over

Totally agree with this, compensate the workers and provide funds for businesses to recover after this has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

I agree it was distasteful to speculate- and I hope your partner stays safe. But If you have an underlying condition, regardless of age, you’re classed as vulnerable - and if someone with such illnesses, especially respiratory related, it’s potentially deadly.

People with underlying conditions know they are more at risk I commented as the poster claimed one specific disease was the underlying condition for the patient who died how is that not scaremongering people with that disease.

We know it is potentially deadly for my partner but thanks for letting me know you are doing wonders for my panic levels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Watch the video as it explains the logistical curve that an exponential one eventually matures into. How far it spreads is highly dependent on our actions and is highly sensitive to it, as China, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan have proven. What we know is our leaders are repeating the mantra of 50-60% infection being possible.

The virus itself needs a whole load of things to go in its favour in order to infect millions of people (this is not 1918). Overall numbers are still very low.....no country has seen even 1% of its population infected. The 60% figure is theoretically possible but it would be a worst case scenario and the virus would have received every lucky break going.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement