Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,600 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Scotty # wrote: »
    Seasonal flu is 0.01%. 100 times lower. It's just that so many people get it, it kills about 1000 per day globally.

But I do agree, some people are overreacting.

It varies from year to year from about 0.01% to 0.1% - this year has been particularly bad

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Ipso wrote: »
    Isn't the Pangolin supposed to be the most likely source, with bats being the link betweeen them and humans.

Yea.
    But bat saliva , droppings , urine would be riddled with it too and any animal could have contracted it that way i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Because it wasn't a highly contagious disease. Do I really have to explain the difference? You can hide in a shelter from bombs once you have a bit of warning.

Tell me how you hide from something like coronavirus?

I'll give you a clue - it starts with L and ends with N.
    Lesbian? My other guess is legislation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Longing

Trump later tweeted that he would be "addressing the Nation this evening" at 9 p.m. EDT. 1am here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In Germany bus passengers must use middle door from now on..

ES2ToZUXsAMs7Qu?format=jpg&name=medium

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

Now what I asked if it?

The crews see Still dealing with infected and non infected and going from one place to the other.

If it's the Doomsday illness some here seem to be getting excited about, they are spreading it.

They are only seeing patients that meet the criteria. They are taking infection control precautions. What is the alternative? Let them stroll into A&E?

Given how it spread via people travelling overseas you'd expect a lot of air line workers to be infected.

Well at the moment they don't think it's airborne so no, not really. How many staff do you touch? I don't touch any on a plane

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've already said it before, but since so many people are quoting regular flu death rates, this is despite a vaccine being in place. Those people with underlying health issues get the vaccine, hence the true death rate would be much higher if no vaccine existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Longing wrote: »
    Trump later tweeted that he would be "addressing the Nation this evening" at 9 p.m. EDT. 1am here.

Where would that be shown, in case I get insomnia later. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.1177.se/Stockholm/sa-fungerar-varden/varden-i-stockholms-lan/om-corona/laget-i-stockholm-just-nu/
    Sweden is the fourth european country to announced they will stop testing mild cases and now only test for more serious hospitalised cases.

Its also important to note that France and Switzerland announced this several days ago and Netherlands today. So all the new cases in France and Switz were apparently just the more serious ones today.

Remember when China were this months ago and people accused them of deliberately changing the stats to help business.

• Advertisement

Juanito13 wrote: »
    They are only seeing patients that meet the criteria. They are taking infection control precautions. What is the alternative? Let them stroll into A&E?

I'm not the Doomsday merchant. I know it's being dealt with and don't believe mankind is at an end

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Two very informative podcast episodes here.

Its a US take but most of it applies to our situation too.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/190-respond-coronavirus/

https://samharris.org/podcasts/191-early-thoughts-pandemic/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Longing wrote: »

235913_1.jpg?resize=807x807

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Look at this action from El Salvador, with zero cases.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237880325394575360?s=19

I’d almost guarantee that they haven’t tested anyone but health officials are well aware of an epidemic. Same as Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Italian Doctors on twitter stating we are not being told the truth, not just old people , those with other health issues on deaths door with Covid19, plenty of 20 year olds are in serious trouble as well.

First-hand corona virus report from Italian health workers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3IlVzMVuTE

This is terrifying

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I know some poster said it's time to stop paying our share to foreign aid, I disagree, I think they need us now more than ever.

But it is time for a moratorium on us paying back the bloody banks debts from the 2008 crisis.

Could the EU step up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

My son is in junior cert we live with my dad who is 70. If the government won't pull the trigger on school closure I'm leaving my son home. They can't sit any longer on this. Decision made. Social distancing it is. Not waiting on those dimwits any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Longing

Where would that be shown, in case I get insomnia later. Thanks.

Sky news. All major networks in U.S CNN,FOX,CBS etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Every day is a learning day
    I got an email today from BA saying their air on board is hospital grade hepa filtered,destroying bacteria and viruses

That would explain why only people a few seats around corona virus patients who flew were contact traced instead of everyone on board

Heres a 10 year old article that explains the process

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34708785/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/airplane-air-not-bad-you-think/

Heres an extract from BA's email

Every modern aircraft uses HEPA filters, (many vacuum cleaners also have HEPA filters - roll on vacuum cleaners being added to the panic buying list).

From the CDC:-
    VENTILATION AND AIR QUALITY

All commercial jet aircraft built after the late 1980s, and a few modified older aircraft, recirculate 10%–50% of the air in the cabin, mixed with outside air. The recirculated air passes through a series of filters 20–30 times per hour. In most newer-model airplanes, the recycled air passes through high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters, which capture 99.9% of particles (bacteria, fungi, and larger viruses or virus clumps) 0.1–0.3 µm in diameter. Furthermore, air generally circulates in defined areas within the aircraft, thus limiting the radius of distribution of pathogens spread by small-particle aerosols. As a result, the cabin air environment is not conducive to the spread of most infectious diseases.

Some diseases may be spread by contact with infected secretions, such as when an ill person sneezes or coughs (and the secretions or droplets land on another person’s face, mouth, nose, or eyes), or touches a communal surface (such as a door knob or rest room faucet) with contaminated hands. Other people handling those contaminated surfaces may then be inoculated with the contaminant. Practicing good handwashing and respiratory hygiene (covering mouth when coughing or sneezing) decreases the risk of disease spread by direct or indirect contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

fr336 wrote: »
    I'm really full of despair now. Anyone with a brain can see how it started "slow" in Italy and now they're on the brink of disaster. And other countries, namely France and Germany, are following the same trajectory!

When you're dealing with exponential growth, the time to act is when it feels too early. Our politicians have not acted in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

I'm not the Doomsday merchant. I know it's being dealt with and don't believe mankind is at an end

It may not be a doomsday scenario but it is already having a significant impact, on an already overstretched health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Corona virus has replaced Brexit.
    Yes its a **** virus, no you're unlikely to contract it. BBC reckon because of the understated infection numbers the death rate could be closer to 1% bringing it in line with seasonal flu.

Stop panicking, be vigilant but my god stop the apocalypse discussion.

Your wrong. But what's worse is some people will believe that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It poses very little danger to young people.

Stop with this bull****, in Ireland it's estimated to kill 500 toddlers. It's a tiny % of the overall numbers but still a lot of dead kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,600 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

delly wrote: »
    I've already said it before, but since so many people are quoting regular flu death rates, this is despite a vaccine being in place. Those people with underlying health issues get the vaccine, hence the true death rate would be much higher if no vaccine existed.

That could only be assumed if everyone caught flu each year when in fact only about 20% of the population do
    The flu jab is just a preventative measure (that is only about 50-60% effective to start with) - so saying the flu death rate would be much higher is a misnomer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Strazdas wrote: »
    The virus itself needs a whole load of things to go in its favour in order to infect millions of people (this is not 1918). Overall numbers are still very low.....no country has seen even 1% of its population infected. The 60% figure is theoretically possible but it would be a worst case scenario and the virus would have received every lucky break going.

No it doesn't. Can you stop posting lies? Its virulence is well proven. It is very robust, regardless of climate or country.

You are an incredibly dangerous and irresponsible poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

delly wrote: »

Yep. This is the same as flu for most people, there is just no vaccine which is normally given to the vulnerable/ healthcare workers.
    The remedy is developing a vaccine, stopping it spreading is futile.

Maybe lock them in. There's enough to worry about without other people's stupidity adding to it.

How? Have the military shoot anyone that leaves? They are adults, not bold childrenn on the step

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Stop with this bull****, in Ireland it's estimated to kill 500 toddlers. It's a tiny % of the overall numbers but still a lot of dead kids.

Where the fu** are you pulling those figures from??

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.1177.se/Stockholm/sa-fungerar-varden/varden-i-stockholms-lan/om-corona/laget-i-stockholm-just-nu/
    Sweden is the fourth european country to announced they will stop testing mild cases and now only test for more serious hospitalised cases.

Its also important to note that France and Switzerland announced this several days ago and Netherlands today. So all the new cases in France and Switz were apparently just the more serious ones today. It may be why Spainish cases appeared to grow faster than France just today.

I think there is no point testing people with mild cases once you have known community transmission. Stay at at home and self isolate. Don't infect others. Don't infect health care professionals by presenting to A+E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I genuinely never thought when this thread started that we might all end up as future Wuhans. But it was as plain as day given the measures China took! The collective stupidity of humanity laid bare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement