Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

fr336 wrote: »
    I'm really full of despair now. Anyone with a brain can see how it started "slow" in Italy and now they're on the brink of disaster. And other countries, namely France and Germany, are following the same trajectory! It's literally a matter of the incubation period playing out. What is to stop this and worse happening in Ireland and the UK? Any answers much appreciated. I think sadly this is the "big one" and I could be saying an early goodbye to many relatives here.

Maybe all this rain and wind washes it away?

Im kidding but you never know....

Hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Where would that be shown, in case I get insomnia later. Thanks.
    It'll be live on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

sadie1502 wrote: »
    My son is in junior cert we live with my dad who is 70. If the government won't pull the trigger on school closure I'm leaving my son home. They can't sit any longer on this. Decision made. Social distancing it is. Not waiting on those dimwits any longer.

My parents are in their 70s and have aunts and uncles same age. I understand the anger. You do what best for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

This is not about the end of mankind. It’s about losing many loved ones unnecessarily in distressing and preventable circumstances. I don’t fancy anyone I love dying because of this and thinking back to Cheltenham or flights to Italy or when we closed the schools and wondering...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Italian Doctors on twitter stating we are not being told the truth, not just old people , those with other health issues on deaths door with Covid19, plenty of 20 year olds are in serious trouble as well.

First-hand corona virus report from Italian health workers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3IlVzMVuTE

In whose interests would it be to cover something like that (age range) up though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I know some poster said it's time to stop paying our share to foreign aid, I disagree, I think they need us now more than ever.

But it is time for a moratorium on us paying back the bloody banks debts from the 2008 crisis.

Could the EU step up now?

I haven't seen any equivalent yet to Draghi's 2012 eurozone crisis vow to do 'Whatever it takes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

grazer wrote: »
    Mods: I imagine there’ll be an argument for stating things factually, but I think it would show respect to have the title of the thread amended to say “1 RIP” or even just “1 Death”, as opposed to “1 Dead“. It’s a very sad title to have on this thread.

- Thanks Beasty / Mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Greta Thunberg you lead the Climate Change protests.

How dare you, how dare you not provide us with leadership on this issue. Where are you now when a more imminent threat to the planet has arrived? Are you a one trick pony.

Juanito13 wrote: »
    It may not be a doomsday scenario but it is already having a significant impact, on an already overstretched health service.

Significant? They haven't even hit capacity yet and are working their normal hours for the most part. And that's in a health system that's regularly out of beds!

Yes, it's a medical concern as any new virus should be but read back over the threads (if you can,) people are going completely overboard.

When the medical system, Gardai and military are working overtime to keep up, then it's significant. Even then it's but as bad as you can read here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

My son is in junior cert we live with my dad who is 70. If the government won't pull the trigger on school closure I'm leaving my son home. They can't sit any longer on this. Decision made. Social distancing it is. Not waiting on those dimwits any longer.

Same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 808SOS

The shops wont open if there are no staff!
    Who the hell would go to work for €10 a hour in a shop during a killer virus outbreak, when the Government will give you close to your full take home pay if you stay at home?

no need to worry, Italy has just banned shops etc. from opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Who the hell would go to work for €10 a hour in a shop during a killer virus outbreak
    Errrr.... Those on a low wage, €10/hour for example, who desperately need the money?

The extra sick benefit is only for those ordered to isolate by their GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Stop with this bull****, in Ireland it's estimated to kill 500 toddlers. It's a tiny % of the overall numbers but still a lot of dead kids.

Where do you get that from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Dimwits is the word. Harris is so far out of his depth. All ministers for health should be health professionals from now on. Its times like this you need a professional in charge of health not a complete novice who can't make a decision.

Naggdefy wrote: »

How dare you, how dare you not provide us with leadership on this issue. Where are you now when a more imminent threat to the planet has arrived? Are you a one trick pony.

Do you think she's reading this thread? Or what the f*ck is this about?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

GM228 wrote: »
    Every modern aircraft uses HEPA filters, (many vacuum cleaners also have HEPA filters - roll on vacuum cleaners being added to the panic buying list).

From the CDC:-

Those HEPA filters ain't worth a fiddlers when they only get changed only once in a blue moon. As if the budget airlines change those filters often.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Linen?
    D8MHCqbXoAAu3Vv.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Who the hell would go to work for €10 a hour in a shop during a killer virus outbreak, when the Government will give you close to your full take home pay if you stay at home?

Again. Nobody will get paid if they just don't show up. You need a medical cert, do you not understand that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Dimwits is the word. Harris is so far out of his depth. All ministers for health should be health professionals from now on. Its times like this you need a professional in charge of health not a complete novice who can't make a decision.

And yet when Dr James Reilly was minister for health he was panned as a disaster and when Dr Leo Varadkar was minister for health he was panned as an empty PR vessel.... name me one popularly effective health minister of the past 20 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

9 new cases today, one death and one recovery. The mass panic is herd mentality, if people can picture a nature documentary with a pack of gazelle reacting to one or two being startled.

I value an elderly parent over a gazelle getting killed in Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

My parents are in their 70s and have aunts and uncles same age. I understand the anger. You do what best for you!

I will be. Because rest assured when it all goes tits up in an already over stretched health system my dad will get triage. That's it. So I'm making a decision best for my father and son and my family. Junior cert exams really who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I've never understood politics where you have total randoms in charge of government departments. To my mind people from the top of their fields should be heading these departments - some of the best people from health heading the health department, the best academics heading education etc. Oh well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well apparently there is a lot of hand gel in Ireland now, but no plastic containers to put it in.

Thanks Greta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Significant? They haven't even hit capacity yet and are working their normal hours for the most part. And that's in a health system that's regularly out of beds!

Yes, it's a medical concern as any new virus should be but read back over the threads (if you can,) people are going completely overboard.

When the medical system, Gardai and military are working overtime to keep up, then it's significant. Even then it's but as bad as you can read here

Another poster who doesn't understand exponential growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

G'way outta that. Why should she be publicly pontificating on something she knows nothing about? Jurgen Klopp approach would be appropriate for her.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    This is not about the end of mankind. It’s about losing many loved ones unnecessarily in distressing and preventable circumstances. I don’t fancy anyone I love dying because of this and thinking back to Cheltenham or flights to Italy or when we closed the schools and wondering...

Understood. But that happens every single day of the week already.

Again, be sensible as you would normally with your health and those around you. I would expect no less from a responsible parent.

Don't all rush to the bunker just yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I agree with school closure but don’t assume that will make it all good. Practise social distancing regardless of whether they close the schools or not. We are only reacting to things after the fact. Schools went on mid term ski trips 4/5 weeks ago. Kids already have it we can only stop them spreading it to the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Yeah, that worked great with the last two Ministers for Health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Ipso wrote: »
    Isn't the Pangolin supposed to be the most likely source, with bats being the link betweeen them and humans.

I read an article saying the pangolin is the closest match they have.

For bird flu, didn't they kill loads of birds? Another poster wrote here, Chinese soldiers were found to be battering dogs. I think the area was in Wuhan and it was early February this year. Maybe it's dog that is the source.

• Advertisement

Another poster who doesn't understand exponential growth.

Oh would ya grow up, that reply says more about you than i

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement