Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

Dimwits is the word. Harris is so far out of his depth. All ministers for health should be health professionals from now on. Its times like this you need a professional in charge of health not a complete novice who can't make a decision.

You dimwit!
    Do you actually think Harris is making these decisions off his own bat!?
    He is taking leading national and international advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

808SOS wrote: »
    no need to worry, Italy has just banned shops etc. from opening.

Not grocers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

JJayoo wrote: »
    Cases in Iceland are mostly down to a large group who traveled back from Italy.

It doesn't really matter though. They've brought the virus to Iceland and there's bound to be some community transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Nijmegen wrote: »
    And yet when Dr James Reilly was minister for health he was panned as a disaster and when Dr Leo Varadkar was minister for health he was panned as an empty PR vessel.... name me one popularly effective health minister of the past 20 years?

It helps if they actually understand the field and makes decisions.

Harris doesn't and is paralysed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Do you think she's reading this thread? Or what the f*ck is this about?!?

In fairness I think the post was a general comment. All very fine to talk about climate change and cutting the plastic out of our lives and the seas, when people are dying before our eyes from something that apparently has NOTHING to do with climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

Another poster who doesn't understand exponential growth.

Amazes me how people still don't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I value an elderly parent over a gazelle getting killed in Africa.

Well, act according to the advice of the HSE, which does not include panicking! Emotive whatabouteries such as your post indicate panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Nijmegen wrote: »
    This is not about the end of mankind. It’s about losing many loved ones unnecessarily in distressing and preventable circumstances. I don’t fancy anyone I love dying because of this and thinking back to Cheltenham or flights to Italy or when we closed the schools and wondering...

That's exactly it. We're not facing an apocalypse but we are facing many loved ones dying and being left to die because our health system won't be able to cope. The people laughing at anyone who is worried about this inevitability really need to grasp this. The news from Italy is horrifying. They will come out the other side but they are going through hell right now. Germany, France and Spain are about to join them and we are well on our way here too. I just can't get over how so many still have the head in the sand and think it won't be that big a deal. WHO said a long time back to take extreme measures. They were ignored. They've again today made a more forceful plea to take extreme measures but in some countries it has fallen on deaf ears. A couple of weeks back the media in this country were telling us to go about our normal business, wash our hands and calm down. We'd get a few cases. They're singing a very different tune now. Ciara Kelly on Newstalk today has down a complete 180 and was saying if her parents were alive she'd be telling them to not leave the house from now on. What will they be saying next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 808SOS

Carbon125 wrote: »
    When you're dealing with exponential growth, the time to act is when it feels too early. Our politicians have not acted in time.

I keep asking the question, What are they waiting for?

The Chief of WHO said he is concerned about the lack of inaction.

IMO its already too late, we are going to see bigger infection numbers daily from tomorrow.

France and Germany are 6 Days behind Italy and are on the same infection trajectory.

What Italy have done to date we need to do tomorrow!

If schools and creches close, you'll pull many health care professionals off the front line unfortunately as they'll have nobody to mind their children. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Understood. But that happens every single day of the week already.

Again, be sensible as you would normally with your health and those around you. I would expect no less from a responsible parent.

Don't all rush to the bunker just yet though

This comes back to a similar argument about it only being the flu or road deaths being X. This is incremental. It’s on top of those existing problems. So we need to do what we can to prevent those incremental deaths. And given the nature of the virus, it is community spread. Actually in that sense it’s a bit like speeding or drink driving, insofar as our actions or inactions can directly lead to the deaths of others.

spakman wrote: »
    You dimwit!
    Do you actually think Harris is making these decisions off his own bat!?
    He is taking leading national and international advice

We've gone over the advice.

It was all sh*te and still is.

The HSE advised people not to isolate after returning from Italy.

Some advice that and the number 1 reason we are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Dimwits is the word. Harris is so far out of his depth. All ministers for health should be health professionals from now on. Its times like this you need a professional in charge of health not a complete novice who can't make a decision.

How did that go considering O’Reilly was a health professional?

fr336 wrote: »
    I've never understood politics where you have total randoms in charge of government departments. To my mind people from the top of their fields should be heading these departments - some of the best people from health heading the health department, the best academics heading education etc. Oh well...

Often thought that myself but leo and Reilly are both doctors and were bad ministers of health. Constant ministers of Justice with legal degrees have only managed to make it worse. Ditto for education and social welfare.

I don't recall an accountant / economist as finance off hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

This pandemic is good for Irish soccer imo if the Euros get postponed till 2021.

Weve a lot of good young players coming through so it'll give them more time.

Hopefully when we play Slovakia in 2 weeks that some of their squad won't make it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m just so sad for all the elderly people in Italy who have spent all their lives supporting their country, and now when they need it most, their country isn’t able to return the favour. Over 60 is still young, and many much loved people who would otherwise have had many years to live are essentially going to be let die. Anyone over 60 who has yet to get it must be absolutely petrified. Like sitting ducks. Imagine what it’s doing to their mental health, as well as physical. An extremely sad situation. I can’t stop thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Just put out a story on RTE NEWS that a child has died of Covid-19, the parents will keep their children in doors then

No child yet has apparently died from it worldwide although videos out of Iran a few days ago would prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

A very interesting article on why we need to act urgently.

Our politicians need to read that... noting today's fatality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

theguzman wrote: »
    Those HEPA filters ain't worth a fiddlers when they only get changed only once in a blue moon. As if the budget airlines change those filters often.

There is a requirement to change them at particular maintenance cycles, done as routine depending on what cycle the frame is at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Get the Danish lad on the Carlsberg ad to sort out their lockdown. He seems an authoritative sort not afraid to make a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

fr336 wrote: »
    I've never understood politics where you have total randoms in charge of government departments. To my mind people from the top of their fields should be heading these departments - some of the best people from health heading the health department, the best academics heading education etc. Oh well...

Look at the number of politicians down the years that have been Teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

theguzman wrote: »
    No child yet has apparently died from it worldwide although videos out of Iran a few days ago would prove otherwise.

Those videos were of children dying from a gas attack in Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Often thought that myself but leo and Reilly are both doctors and were bad ministers of health. Constant ministers of Justice with legal degrees have only managed to make it worse. Ditto for education and social welfare.

I don't recall an accountant / economist as finance off hand

Charlie McCreevy - Chartered Accountant.

I won't go into whether he was to blame for what followed four years after he was shipped off to Europe but you can prolly guess based on my username that local politics might come into it, and the way I phrased the first part of this sentence.

Oh would ya grow up, that reply says more about you than i

So you understand that on current trends in about two weeks our health service will no longer be able to cope?

Particularly since we did NOTHING to contain, delay or slow the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Andrew00 wrote: »
    This pandemic is good for Irish soccer imo if the Euros get postponed till 2021.

Weve a lot of good young players coming through so it'll give them more time.

have to line up a few friendlies though,

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

If schools and creches close, you'll pull many health care professionals off the front line unfortunately as they'll have nobody to mind their children. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Get the grandparents to look after them in their own house. They should be staying in anyway. When parents come home videolink to the grandparents to see the kids. But your right damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Off the top of my head.
    Help Garda enforce a stay at home order for the public.
    Same for Prisons, they could run short of staff.

If i had to guess the big reason, imagine the outbreak is like Italy, we now know Italian hospitals are close to collapsing, they will soon be turning away sick people if things don't improve soon.
    Now imagine if you bring a sick loved one on deaths door to the Hospital, you and your loved one are turned away, basically go home and die, i would imagine this happening in large numbers at hospital nation wide could be a spark to kick of a massive incident.
    "You are turning away my sick mother who worked all her life and paid taxes , but you have plenty of fuxxing places in the hospital for them blacks/muslims/refugees who are here a wet day"
    With hundreds if not thousands being turned away potential for BIG trouble!

Well for starters, your assuming 8000 soldiers can achieve this. Secondly, your assuming they are in any way, shape or form trained to do this and third, your failing to account for the law.

We don't have martial law and we don't have, to my knowledge, a power to shoot people for leaving their houses. We don't even have a power to arrest them for it. I know drew said we do, but I'm still waiting for him to tell me what it is.

If we do reach that level though your making the biggest mistake of all, assuming the Gardai and soldiers won't have already gone home to protect and be with their own families.

Gardai may be dedicated to their jobs but not as dedicated as they are too their families

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Wexford County Council cancelled next week’s proposed trips to Savannah and New York. Councillors and senior officials were due to attend a series of business meetings based around St Patrick’s Day celebrations in both cities but have now opted to call off the trips as a result of growing uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus situation in Ireland.
    Cathaoirleach of Wexford County Council, Councillor Michael Sheehan, said: ‘We believe our foremost responsibility is to remain here in Wexford to monitor, lead and assist in the response to what is an unique and unprecedented situation.”
    - Irish Independent.

And Leo’s in the US? Tone deaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

We've gone over the advice.

It was all sh*te and still is.

The HSE advised people not to isolate after returning from Italy.

Some advice that and the number 1 reason we are screwed.

Ireland's actions have been specifically praised by the WHO.

I have no idea why some people are obsessed with getting a dig in at the HSE at every opportunity but it's getting really tiresome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Just put out a story on RTE NEWS that a child has died of Covid-19, the parents will keep their children in doors then

Dark but possibly effective.

But do not under estimate the amount of people that don't give a toss about this. They don't care about most things for that matter. This isn't going to change their minds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement