Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

laurah591 wrote: »
    Our politicians need to read that... noting today's fatality

This is what you can conclude:
    Countries that are prepared will see a fatality rate of ~0.5% (South Korea) to 0.9% (rest of China).
    Countries that are overwhelmed will have a fatality rate between ~3%-5%
    Put in another way: Countries that act fast can reduce the number of deaths by ten. And that’s just counting the fatality rate. Acting fast also drastically reduces the cases, making this even more of a no-brainer.

This... from the article and also the average from time of diagnosis to death is average 17.3 days... this is worrying. It's an excellent article and should be retweeted and shared

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Anyone over 60 who has yet to get it must be absolutely petrified. Like sitting ducks.
    It's not as easy to contract as you're imagining. If they avoid close human contact and follow hygiene guidelines, there's no reason for them to become infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Senior Civil Servants run every Ministry going. I know.... wink.

Signed. Sir Humphrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

grazer wrote: »
    Wexford County Council cancelled next week’s proposed trips to Savannah and New York. Councillors and senior officials were due to attend a series of business meetings based around St Patrick’s Day celebrations in both cities but have now opted to call off the trips as a result of growing uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus situation in Ireland.
    Cathaoirleach of Wexford County Council, Councillor Michael Sheehan, said: ‘We believe our foremost responsibility is to remain here in Wexford to monitor, lead and assist in the response to what is an unique and unprecedented situation.”
    - Irish Independent.

And Leo’s in the US? Tone deaf.

They could easily attend the meetings via videolink.
    I know there's no junket value in that, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Wexford County Council cancelled next week’s proposed trips to Savannah and New York. Councillors and senior officials were due to attend a series of business meetings based around St Patrick’s Day celebrations in both cities but have now opted to call off the trips as a result of growing uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus situation in Ireland.
    Cathaoirleach of Wexford County Council, Councillor Michael Sheehan, said: ‘We believe our foremost responsibility is to remain here in Wexford to monitor, lead and assist in the response to what is an unique and unprecedented situation.”
    - Irish Independent.

These are a ridiculous waste of money and a continued embarrassment to our country.

Our own politicians leaving the state on our national day.

• Advertisement

When the hospital are full and are turning away sick people, things could get ugly

Again, unless your bringing in a law that allows the military to shoot Irish citizens, they can't do ****.

This isn't the us and it ain't TV from the US.

The level you are talking about is a level I don't believe we will reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Get the grandparents to look after them in their own house. They should be staying in anyway. When parents come home videolink to the grandparents to see the kids. But your right damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

That’d be assuming (a) they have grandparents still alive (b) living close enough and (c) healthy enough to mind grandchildren.
    Not that simple for many of parents.

So you understand that on current trends in about two weeks our health service will no longer be able to cope?

Particularly since we did NOTHING to contain, delay or slow the spread.

Possible, did I say it wouldn't or did I say "when"?

Fyi, I'm in no way qualified to make any statement as fact so I don't. I'm stating personal beliefs based on the knowledge I have. I could well be wrong but surely we all want me to be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I can't take in what's being said on this thread,. TOTALLY SURREAL
    Why in Gods name did Cheltenham go ahead??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

7Vo7LMrFgXi7WI8WuO1klUQo6CDtb-uPdjjrUyccIQo.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&9c5dfdb1
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fh75x1/one_of_the_reasons_why_mortality_is_much_higher/
    40% of South Korea's patients are under 29 years old, because the cult has young members. Majority of patients in Italy are over 40.It is why the mortality rate is so much lower than Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

- Irish Independent.

People, groups, they are taking independent action. No one is waiting for government.

My dad, in his 70's, is a Councillor, still going to meetings about bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Ireland's actions have been specifically praised by the WHO.

I have no idea why some people are obsessed with getting a dig in at the HSE at every opportunity but it's getting really tiresome.

It's not a dig, it's responding to blatantly poor management of the situation. I've spoken to a close friend who's a doctor, and they also think it's being woefully mismanaged, and the advice is not helpful.

For example, the policy of only testing people who know they had contact with a confirmed case... Will you tell me how I know I've had contact if its community spread? Their approach will miss all community spread cases that way. Ramping up testing is the only way to help contain/slow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Off-topic a bit . I was talking to a friend about bats yesterday. Although it isn't 100% confirmed that it they are the original hosts i found this article interesting . Apparently they have a fierce immune system to viruses in general.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200210144854.htm

Watching 60 mins docu on wet markets, they mentioned a mammal called the pangolin as the probably source ....could be bats or anything else who really knows or does it matter , but these markets are rife all over asia not just China but experts predict multiple variations of virus are just a step away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

But the very young are crazy carriers.

"A child with no symptoms will go to visit its grandparents, and basically kill them. So it’s essential to avoid contact between them".

I have a family member who drops their sick children down to my elderly parents so they can go to work. Its really frightening what could end up happening with this covid19.

Hmmm. I didn't cop that line when I first scanned that article. I think she's overegging that pudding. The children might or might not have it. The grandparents might or might not get it. If they get it, they might or might not get a severe case of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Fcuking hell it’s getting worse and I’m not talking about the virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I can't take in what's being said on this thread,. TOTALLY SURREAL

If there is one business that the current generation of politicians both here and in the in the UK will never ever harm financially it's horse racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I have no idea why some people are obsessed with getting a dig in at the HSE at every opportunity but it's getting really tiresome.

Where did they say that? Dr Ryan said Ireland's actions were coherent

I just spoke to a relative in the US who were due to travel to South Carolina today, but turned back at the airport because her aunt is suspected of having CV. She recently developed a bad cold, went to the hospital, wasn't tested but was put in solitary for a few hours, then handed a prescription and was shown to the rear entrance of the hospital.

Also, I heard through the grapevine that a student at Sligo IT has tested positive... sorry I have no source, just that her boyfriend has been tested and is awaiting results.

Sick note wont be a problem, Doctors wont be doing a deep dive into your symptoms, phone up you Doctor office, "i feel like im coming down with the Flu, can i get a sick cert so i can self isolate at home"
    100% it will be waiting at the reception for you to collect.
    Wont even have to see a Doctor

Won't that mean having to physically go there?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

Ah for Jaysus Are we going to close down de bleedin country or wha the whole of Europe sitting in chillin meanwhile the ERU are called as deco and anto are in Tescos smashing each other up for the last slab of Guinness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

fr336 wrote: »
    I've never understood politics where you have total randoms in charge of government departments. To my mind people from the top of their fields should be heading these departments - some of the best people from health heading the health department, the best academics heading education etc. Oh well...

Because politics is about balancing competing interests, not ‘solving’ problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Schools will close as that will pull people into working from home. This is actually a good thing at this stage and if it doesn’t happen this Friday it’ll happen during next week as our numbers continue to rise.

We will also see an absolute prioritisation of in-patient care and A&E staffing levels over and above all other aspects of health provision in Ireland. This will begin to become clear publicly over the next 10 days. I have no inside knowledge of this but it is simply what will have to happen logically when you know the numbers.

E.g. Due to Mental Health Commission action over recent years most psychiatry units feature single rooms with en suites. This actually makes them perfect for isolating people who need some medical care but will do OK with supplementary oxygen and relatively low levels of care.

So, expect the psychiatry units to be repurposed and involuntarily detained patients to be transferred into a few psychiatry units and concentrated there with the other units being repurposed.

This would have been unthinkable a month ago but it will come to pass. The same sorts of unthinkable things will happen in other areas of the health service ( and other parts of government) - out-patient appointments, cancer services, GP services etc.

As ever the best any individual can do is socially distance, self-isolate at the first sign of any symptoms, handwash etc. Keeping children home is a significant component of social distancing and, to be honest, is only going to be jumping the gun by a few days at most at this stage.

I certainly haven’t had children in school since last week.

The one good thing about Italy is that it makes it easier for other governments to do what they’ve done at an earlier stage in the progress of the pandemic. That is going to help reduce deaths below the worst case scenario, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    People, groups, they are taking independent action. No one is waiting for government.

My dad, in his 70's, is a Councillor, still going to meetings about bs.

Some other poster reckons older people are incredibly fearful atm. In my experience, older people are far more stoical than that. Is this true of your father?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The WHO are wrong. Their advice has been wrong several times. They only today declared CV as a pandemic for example.

Flights still continue to fly into Dublin airport from Northern Italy even today. No-one on those flights will be traced by the HSE, left free to return to their communities and potentially spread cv. The HSE still don't advise isolation after returning from a red zone.

Most successful countries closed schools early. We didn't.

So the WHO's plaudits are to be taken with a mountain of salt.

Our delays have been disastrous. My criticisms of the HSE are valid and most people think the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Watching 60 mins docu on wet markets, they mentioned a mammal called the pangolin as the probably source ....could be bats or anything else who really knows or does it matter , but these markets are rife all over asia not just China but experts predict multiple variations of virus are just a step away
    All of that has to be stopped right now. All them markets. ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Get the grandparents to look after them in their own house. They should be staying in anyway. When parents come home videolink to the grandparents to see the kids. But your right damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Get real, people are not going to leave their kids with higher risk older people and then just see their kids through video??

People are going to stay at home with their kids whatever way they can, that's the reality.

Front line staff, Health workers, Gardai, army are all human at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

That’d be assuming (a) they have grandparents still alive (b) living close enough and (c) healthy enough to mind grandchildren.
    Not that simple for many of parents.
    I know I was over simplifying it, it was a bit stupid. But it would help somewhat. Not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

I know in one of the threads, i saw links to articles which outline symptom progression - would someone be able to point me towards it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Denmark are two days further in than us and have done less tests than us: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing-10march

so yesterday 1 in 5 people tested had the virus. That would suggest that things are in fact much worse there.

If we test people with probable symptoms and all known contacts and if things do not balloon then the approach may be working.

Its a gamble. Might pay off and might not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This virus settles in such random places. Scandinavia would have been the last place in Europe I would have expected a major epidemic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement