Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

If we knew where the cases were then whole counties and villages and towns could isolate. We will have to go for a Wuhan style - Italy complete total lockdown. Basically lock everyone in their homes and prosecute those breaking curfew. The Chinese are lucky they have an ironfist Government who laid down orders pretty sharp to them. I can see us getting far worse fatalities as the average Irish person are too arrogant to accept science and pull together for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

fritzelly wrote: »
    They've got a whole 6 characters to play with

Opps. That was whoosh over me then. :o

Time for bed I think. Night all. Mind yourselves.

Guys if you end up in a bad way in ICU tell them you have no underlying medical issues, it might save your life

or try and find varadkar and all who told us it was no big deal, breathe on em

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Why on Earth would you think that?

Very low population density mostly suburban villa living, little outdoor mass gatherings in winter due to cold climate, not a touchy feely culture, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

El Salvador, who thus far have recorded zero cases have banned the entry of foreigners to the country. Very smart thinking. It can be done, all it takes is the will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

darjeeling wrote: »
    It's a bat virus that might have crossed into another species before crossing into humans.

All that is known is it has a zoonotic origin, the species is unknow.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Anyone hear schools are set to close from the 18th March for 2 weeks and then the Easter break .Be closed for a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

In Wollongong NSW Australia we just go a "drive through" Covid swab station.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6671934/drive-in-coronavirus-testing-set-up-in-wollongong-cbd/

I gunna hit the drive through's. ATM drive through, followed by the bottle shop drive through and then the Coronavirus drive through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Beasty wrote: »
    Congratulations, this is the 50,000th post across the 6 threads to date

As a prize you get to name the next one. There is a limit of 84 characters, and you must include "Coronavirus" or "CoVid-19" plus "Part VII" and the accumulated figures for both the ROI and NI. Beyond that you have a free reign, subject only to the approval of forum mods

I don't want to, Cilldara_2000 can do it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

School Closures

I hope contingency planning has taking place to ensure some type of collection and delivery and centralise care system for the children of hospital staff.

If no provision is made how the hell can we hope to keep the already overstretched hospital system running with parents going absent to care for their offspring ?

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote: »
    All that is known is it has a zoonotic origin, the species is unknow.

It doesn't matter anymore if it is zoonotic or man made, it is here and we have to deal with its deadly consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

If schools and creches close, you'll pull many health care professionals off the front line unfortunately as they'll have nobody to mind their children. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
    We were told today that if schools and creches close to think about what days people can come in to work.

Some people will have to stay home with their kids. They've no option. Single parents, spouses working far away, spouses not able to take time off work. Its understandable.

But that means we're going to be relying on the same handful of people to keep the service going day and night. Its burning the candle at both ends.

If one of our staff becomes infected we can't all stay off to isolate because, and I quote, the service has to be maintained.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

That could only be assumed if everyone caught flu each year when in fact only about 20% of the population do
    The flu jab is just a preventative measure (that is only about 50-60% effective to start with) - so saying the flu death rate would be much higher is a misnomer

I'm not sure how you would say that the death rate would not be higher without the jab, irrespective of how effective each years batch is. But just to post some study's on it, I'll copy some links in to back my view up.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2017/p0403-flu-vaccine.html

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/research/perspective-article/it-may-not-be-perfect-but-the-influenza-vaccine-has-saved-many-peoples-lives/11138389.article?firstPass=false

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Beasty wrote: »
    What makes you an expert on these matters? You are a random internet poster, no different from any of us, and are not in a position to make any such claims. People at the WHO are far more knowledgeable on such matters than any of us on Boards can ever claim to be

As I have said countless times, it doesn't take a genius to follow best international practice.

Tell me what the HSE have got right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

codie wrote: »
    Anyone hear schools are set to close from the 18th March for 2 weeks and then the Easter break .Be closed for a month or so.

Seems to be nothing more than speculation at the moment, many teachers in the thread below, would probably be a more accurate place for that information:-

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058059572&page=24

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

theguzman wrote: »
    If we knew where the cases were then whole counties and villages and towns could isolate. We will have to go for a Wuhan style - Italy complete total lockdown. Basically lock everyone in their homes and prosecute those breaking curfew. The Chinese are lucky they have an ironfist Government who laid down orders pretty sharp to them. I can see us getting far worse fatalities as the average Irish person are too arrogant to accept science and pull together for the greater good.

I'm not sure how many Chinese people would agree with that statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

bekker wrote: »
    School Closures

I hope contingency planning has taking place to ensure some type of collection and delivery and centralise care system for the children of hospital staff.

If no provision is made how the hell can we hope to keep the already overstretched hospital system running with parents going absent to care for their offspring ?

People shouting for schools to close have given very little thought to the implications of that.

I can see why the DOH are reluctant to order the closures. They want to wait until its no longer an option but a necessity.

Doctors, nurses, admin support that keep the wheels turning, Gardai, army, prison officers, food supply chain, medical supplies, all essential and all include people who will choose to stay at home rather than put themselves and their families at risk.

And I don't blame them either if they choose to do that. It's very scary for them too.

Need to urgently get a few military facilities e.g. military hospitals and barracks upgraded and ready to take the overflow of patients if needed

If this lasts more than a year then its worth doing an emergency compulsory purchase of land in the middle of the country and building a field hospital. And spending some decent money on the military (medical materials and manpower). Alot of people question the use of a defence force in a neutral country but here is the once in x years reason we should have one. We closed & sold off too many barracks in the last few years. Defence has been totally neglected like so many areas. The army will potentially be needed to enforce lock downs and could become quite important.

How quickly could we build an actual real hospital for the health service and create the manpower for it?

If it could be delayed then I suppose more countries could manufacture and distribute ventilators and ECMO machines. Where do they get made I wonder and how easy it is to start building here or in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Quite a random bunch of countries to ban flights to and from for the most part. And not USA or Qatar or Egypt with a lot of cases, Djibouti and all those african countries have none

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

i genuinely fear for this country, we have weak people in charge that are afraid to make the big calls, bunch of cowardly followers is what we have in charge, indecisiveness will do an awful lot of damage.

delly wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you would say that the death rate would not be higher without the jab, irrespective of how effective each years batch is. But just to post some study's on it, I'll copy some links in to back my view up.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2017/p0403-flu-vaccine.html

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/research/perspective-article/it-may-not-be-perfect-but-the-influenza-vaccine-has-saved-many-peoples-lives/11138389.article?firstPass=false

I'm not sure what those links are supposed to prove.
    Yes the vaccine saves lives but it is not to the proportion you were intimating earlier when referencing the death rate of coronavirus

If the vaccine was totally ineffective one year how would that affect the CFR? Not much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Trump about to address the nation.

Corona virus has replaced Brexit.
    Yes its a **** virus, no you're unlikely to contract it. BBC reckon because of the understated infection numbers the death rate could be closer to 1% bringing it in line with seasonal flu.

Stop panicking, be vigilant but my god stop the apocalypse discussion.

Where do we get these people from :rolleyes:
    Being this badly misinformed is dangerous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'd say that's why we've been hearing strong language about the number of potential cases over the last few days. Far easier to impose harsh restrictions if people are assuming the worst.

There goes the monacle!

Governments untruthful in a crisis... pfft heard it all now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Americans move towards shutdown over coronavirus fears

Schools are being closed, public gatherings canceled and staff told to work from home in response to the growing pandemic

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/americans-shutdown-coronavirus-fears

Trump about to address the nation.

Taking bets on if he can manage to get case numbers right or he has cured it.

I'm not sure how many Chinese people would agree with that statement.

There is no doubt they handled this thing properly, despite early cover-ups they have redeemed themselves pretty well in my eyes. Everything in Ireland should be totally under lockdown now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Where do we get these people from :rolleyes:
    Being this badly misinformed is dangerous now.

Death rate for flu is 0.1% not 1%.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement