Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is that livestream working for anyone? It says it started ten minutes ago, but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'd say that's why we've been hearing strong language about the number of potential cases over the last few days. Far easier to impose harsh restrictions if people are assuming the worst.

How about talk of how really bad it will be then "oh look what a good job we did" when it turns out bad but not as bad as they were saying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Denmark now on lockdown similar to Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ficheall wrote: »
    Is that livestream working for anyone? It says it started ten minutes ago, but...

Not due to start for another 10 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

theguzman wrote: »
    There is no doubt they handled this thing properly, despite early cover-ups they have redeemed themselves pretty well in my eyes. Everything in Ireland should be totally under lockdown now.

Determine everything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And Cheltenham rages on.

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

Trump about to address the nation.

I watched some of the presser last night, he couldn't get out of there quick enough... I imagine he'll be doing another hit and run tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Many people have that arrangement and both parties are happy with it. But i think with this new virus people should think twice before sending their children to their elderly parents, particularly if their symptoms are of a respiratory infection.

The longer the kids are in school the greater the likelihood they pick it up and they give it to the grandparents in any case.

And before someone says I'm not an expert, all the experts advise against social gatherings of large numbers of people in confined spaces. Which means our own government and HSE continue to ignore their own experts advice when it comes to schools.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Very good documentary about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why was much more precautions taken for foot and mouth?

• Advertisement

Determine everything?

Tape covering every house door and heavy fines if you break it or crawl out a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Cupatae wrote: »
    i genuinely fear for this country, we have weak people in charge that are afraid to make the big calls, bunch of cowardly followers is what we have in charge, indecisiveness will do an awful lot of damage.
    The gov has followed the advice they've been given. Big calls? Like what? Shutdown the country? Ban mass gatherings? These have already been shown to be ineffective in containing the spread of viruses. Why do people find that so hard to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Scotty # wrote: »
    The gov has followed the advice they've been given. Big calls? Like what? Shutdown the country? Ban mass gatherings? These have already been shown to be ineffective in containing the spread of viruses. Why do people find that so hard to understand?

Ah yes, shirk off all responsibility to some nameless, faceless people in the EU advising them. That way they can never do wrong.

Also what are you smoking? Banning mass gatherings is the thing most proven to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Was pretty effective in China, Taiwan etc

M

They have been following the EU line directly from Germany, not allowed to make decisions themselves to ban incoming flights from EU countries.

They have been following the EU line directly from Germany, not allowed to make decisions themselves to ban incoming flights from EU countries.

Legally they are.

Have to say, for their reputation, Germany have made a poor job of handling this issue.

M

tuxy wrote: »
    Legally they are.

But didn't, same as paying bondholders.

tuxy wrote: »
    Legally they are.

Slovakia is in the EU and banned flights from Italy days ago. Hiding behind legalities is not what we need at this time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Donald Trump live on CNN now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

so no point in self isolation then? why is Italy quarantining 16 million, why did china shutdown? if its all ineffective... mass gatherings should 100% be banned, how is not having people grouped up when there is a contagious virus "ineffective"?

Italy followed aswell and look how that ended up, perhaps rather than pottering along there could be more drastic measures taken, ffs there was more of a effort put in for the foot and mouth and that didnt even effect humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

And Cheltenham rages on.

Madness

What is the forums hard on for Cheltenham? Travel was only banned to fcuking Italy this week, the streets of Dublin and transport are packed all day everyday, thousands and thousands of people rubbing shoulders. We are not on lockdown, ferrys and planes are still running to England.

We were told today that if schools and creches close to think about what days people can come in to work.

Some people will have to stay home with their kids. They've no option. Single parents, spouses working far away, spouses not able to take time off work. Its understandable.

But that means we're going to be relying on the same handful of people to keep the service going day and night. Its burning the candle at both ends.

If one of our staff becomes infected we can't all stay off to isolate because, and I quote, the service has to be maintained.
    It's tough. Without giving too much info about where I work. We have a number of fall back/contingency plans for the pharmacy service. But school closures would probably put the pharmacy service on the verge of collapse unfortunately.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Slovakia is in the EU and banned flights from Italy days ago. Hiding behind legalities is not what we need at this time

Yes that's what I was saying, legally they can stop flights from other EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump addressing the NATION

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'm not sure what those links are supposed to prove.
    Yes the vaccine saves lives but it is not to the proportion you were intimating earlier when referencing the death rate of coronavirus

If the vaccine was totally ineffective one year how would that affect the CFR? Not much

Okay, since I didn't actually quote any death rates of either flu or CV, I can only take it that my intimation of 'the true death rate would be much higher' is the issue, but you would allow it as 'the true death rate would be higher'? If that's the case, then you're really just talking semantics and personal interpretation, which is not a valid reason to put down the highlighting of the annual vaccine's effectiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The following is one of the most thanked posts on this thread so I’m not sure you can make that claim.

This is a novel virus so the health organisations are going to get some things wrong. It’s an ever-changing situation for which there is still a paucity of information.

In the very first batch of cases a guy turned up from Cork with a positive test. They hadn't a clue how or who he got it from. Does this sound like a success to you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Donald Trump live on CNN now.

Is he on drugs?

It's all China and Europes fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Blaming europe,

ALL TRAVEL TOO USA FROM EUROPE BANNED !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

bans travel from europe for 30 days from friday

will not apply to the uk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement