Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How many airlines is this ban going to put on the ropes?

All of 'em.

The irony, Mr Stockmarket just broke the global economy. Smashed it to smithereens like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Tippex wrote: »
    Airlines will not fly a plane to europe and not have passengers flying back it makes no economic sense

they have been doing that around europe to keep their slots,

something about 'use it or lose it'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Why is there no ban on the Deomcrats in the US if they started this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Aerlingus will suffer big on back of this ban. Surely Ireland needs to ban all flights from USA too.
    Makes sense.

he banned all flights in or out to the eu. As in there wont be any flights for us to ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

c2e wrote: »
    how will Leo get home?

Sure he can just fly to Belfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

how will Leo get home?

Diplomatic immunity presumably

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We can't be importing case after case. We need to shut our borders too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5yVGmfivAk

This is something we can do just for ourselves, family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

About 50% of all airfreight is carried on passenger planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Christy42

Cupatae wrote: »
    i think the no1 priority is stopping the virus, not economic impact going by that speech.

This has nothing to do with the virus. I see no reason to ban trade. Also the UK is in the same boat as us why so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

how will Leo get home?

Who cares.

Leave the troll where he is, he'll find a bridge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

how will Leo get home?

Who cares? We seem to be doing fine without him

I reckon the **** has hit the fan in the US with infections hence the crap from the oompa loompa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

My Father had a consultation last week for Peripheral Artery Disease, they told him to come in today for a scan before getting lower extremity bypass next week. No scan today, they brought him into the office and it turned into consultation 2.0 instead.. and said you’ll be put on a waiting list. Very worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,863 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Stock futures plummeting as we speak.

Is Trump aware of the size of traffic and trade between the US and the entire EU? This would be like Germany announcing it is shutting down its border with France and not allowing any flights in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Varadkar has a big task now. Needs to convince Trump to exempt Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is like an over the top disaster movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

looks like Leo won't be flying Aer Lingus for his Paddys day trip

He`s already there as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson tested positive for this in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

sdanseo wrote: »
    Diplomatic immunity presumably

its just been revoked!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Aerlingus will suffer big on back of this ban. Surely Ireland needs to ban all flights from USA too.
    Makes sense.

There whole country will suffer big. The US is Ireland second largest export market.

This is politics dressed up as a public health measure. The fallout from this will be immense, immediate and long lasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Trump could cure world hunger and people would complain. This is the sort of drastic action everyone should be taking. Right now. If I was an American I wouldn't give a hoot what his reasons are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭endainoz

I reckon he's including Ireland in that exemption because he's such a fcukin idiot he probably thinks we're all the one. Come on like, it's not that hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Does he have the power to do this all of his own accord? Surely the opposition will think '' wtf'' and challenge it in court

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Why? My oldest son is in secondary school and the school he attends was told it would be fined if it didn't supply hand sanitizer due to the outbreak. There was just water to wash your hands before that.

I've three asthmatic people in our house. One is severely asthmatic and attends the local primary school (over 300 pupils). Lets just say my eyes have been opened to the lack of hand hygiene available to him too.

Imo if the schools close now (given that people are symptomatic in two weeks) it will extract a large number of people from contracting and spreading the virus.

Hopefully this will also have a knock on effect on the already strained health services. But maybe I'm missing something?
    I also have a primary school attendee who has very bad asthma, as well as other issues. Based on the hygiene routine in the school, I have kept her off since Monday, it's just not worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Please, please, please, please, please ban flights from NI to America. Fuuuuuuuuuuu

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Americans move towards shutdown over coronavirus fears

Schools are being closed, public gatherings canceled and staff told to work from home in response to the growing pandemic

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/americans-shutdown-coronavirus-fears

Great article Kermit.

I’m disheartened as to why it is that our overseers are so lily-livered….really really disheartened.

To quote your article….

“…Some of the most famous American institutions and companies announced dramatic operational changes...
    *Harvard University advising students not to return to college after spring break
    *Google telling all its employees in North America, Europe, the Middle East and Africa to work from home until at least 10 April.
    *Seattle announced it would close all its public schools for two weeks from Thursday, affecting 50,000…”

Why aren’t we doing this? We need to do it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The poster you quoted said they were confident contact tracing worked and the HSE did a good job at that.

I'm not going to bang on about it. The HSE have made mistakes, their advice has large gaps in it. They can still rescue the situation. They need more resources, particularly on the frontline.

Of course it does, this is a novel virus. And you already have banged on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Christy42

fr336 wrote: »
    Trump could cure world hunger and people would complain. This is the sort of drastic action everyone should be taking. Right now. If I was an American I wouldn't give a hoot what his reasons are.

Why exempt the UK??? Why ban trade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

BloodBath wrote: »
    Noticed that too. You could see his hands clench along with the break in speech.

He had a stroke.. The wig blew/fell off last week. You can see the scar. His early "check up" in Nov was bull.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Varadkar has a big task now. Needs to convince Trump to exempt Ireland.

How the **** is he going to do that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement