Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

endainoz wrote: »
    I reckon he's including Ireland in that exemption because he's such a fcukin idiot he probably thinks we're all the one. Come on like, it's not that hard to believe.

Well the government here would want to clarify that right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Aerlingus will suffer big on back of this ban. Surely Ireland needs to ban all flights from USA too.
    Makes sense.

Most major European carriers who fly to the US are going to suffer pretty badly from this, no need to ban flights from the US, they will most likely all be cancelled ex the US anyway as they won't be able to return with PAX or freight, not commercially worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Varadkar has a big task now. Needs to convince Trump to exempt Ireland.

Potentially timing very much in our favour there.
    I'd imagine Trump would want assurances that we will take stronger measures ourselves. Might be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How the **** is he going to do that?

He has a meeting with Trump.

He needs to do something.

This is a fcuking disaster for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

c2e wrote: »
    how will Leo get home?

Maybe he'll get a loan of Air Force one? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Reuters reporting that there are 15 new infections in mainland China, eight of which are in Hubei. There have been 11 new deaths, ten of which were in Hubei.

China’s total number of cases is 80,793 as of the end of March 11

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Christy42 wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the virus. I see no reason to ban trade. Also the UK is in the same boat as us why so....

How has it nothing to do with the virus? the whole speech was based around the virus?

Banned everything in order to protect america id imagine it will be just as painful for america but if it stops it then, it will be the right call.. time will tell i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ireland is not included in Mainland Europe.

Jaysus. According to the New York Times, Tom Hanks has COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

For the last few weeks trump has been calling the virus fake new because it's just a 'flu'....BUT now he stops travel from the entire EU because of a 'flu'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sdanseo wrote: »
    Diplomatic immunity presumably

Its just been revoked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Christy42 wrote: »
    Why exempt the UK??? Why ban trade?

Stock market.. It is all about numbers for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Cannot believe enough people agreed with him to allow this to go ahead

What did he say about Americans currently in Europe? I was a bit stunned even tho it was expected. Two days isn't much time to arrange travel home - how many are in Ireland right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

The markets were tanking anyway, disastrous for re-election, this way falls can be painted as unfortunate consequence of defending US population against overseas threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Leo will use the private jet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

fr336 wrote: »
    Trump could cure world hunger and people would complain. This is the sort of drastic action everyone should be taking. Right now. If I was an American I wouldn't give a hoot what his reasons are.

Excluding the UK means it's a political move dressed up as a public health measure. It's an economic attack on the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,863 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

GM228 wrote: »
    Most major European carriers who fly to the US are going to suffer pretty badly from this, no need to ban flights from the US, they will most likely all be cancelled ex the US anyway as they won't be able to return with PAX or freight, not commercially worthwhile.

Ban on cargo means you cannot even send something by post to the US......absolutely extraordinary.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ton Hanks and his wife have tested positive

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

One positive is that it looks like LEO will be stuck there so we won't have to see him any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

If you think about it it's kind of bemusing that we are always told we are in this digital world as a reason for poor career prospects and working conditions and yet this virus presenting a perfect oportunity for widespread teleworking and the digital economy and we see just how physical the world really is. The economy cannot cope with even minor adjustments. Maybe we were lied to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Tom Hanks has it, first A lister to be positive I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

So that means people can travel from Northern Ireland but not the South. Makes sense. Honestly in such shock at that I don't know what to say. This is going to send shockwaves through Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Christy42

Cupatae wrote: »
    How has it nothing to do with the virus? the whole speech was based around the virus?

Banned everything in order to protect america id imagine it will be just as painful for america but if it stops it then, it will be the right call.. time will tell i guess.

Because he specifically exempt an area suffering as badly as we are but not us or several European countries that have far better situations?

Because this is aimed at trade which has little to no impact on the spread. The virus is a weak cover for implementing his nutty policies. He has lost the plot if he ever had it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

There are times when decades go by and weeks happen and there are times when days go by and century defining moments happen. This could lead to a geopolitical chasm that nobody nobody envisioned. Life is never as steady as it seems. Who knows where this ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

c2e wrote: »
    how will Leo get home?

This made me laugh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Meanwhile here we have cheltenham in full flight, schools going, confirmations about to kick off! giddy up the corona! no ****s given by eu or ireland, ryan air flying em in by the plane load and we on about containment dont make me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,402 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Strazdas wrote: »
    no country has seen even 1% of its population infected.

People are a bit over fixated on "countries". There are zero cases in Qinghai in north west China. Most other province have low single digits of cases.
    Over 95% of Chinese cases are in Hubei. If it was an independent state it suddenly looks much worse. Same with Lombardy - but actually very little changes.

Obviously, we're a blip in the sea. So it makes sense to look at whole island numbers and state numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

tuxy wrote: »
    Fly to the UK! Prices may be inflated though.

There is only so much capacity on flights to the UK. Including landing slots etc. This is going to be mental for the next while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Stheno wrote: »

I guess celebrities are at higher risk, they are constantly traveling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,863 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Stheno wrote: »

Aw, poor guy and poor woman. Hope they make a speedy recovery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement