Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked for photo by agency?

Options
  • 11-03-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭

I sent an e mail response to a recruitment agency today and they've asked for a photo. Never been asked this before. Is it just a regular selfie or should I dress up interview style and send one. What's the normal procedure here? And as a side note why do they want a picture?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

It can be normal for agencies to ask for photos, party to verify who is coming for interview, partly for staff identification if you are hired on a contracted out basis. Just something tidy from shoulders up, even a casual shirt would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Unless you are going for a job in acting or modelling, it should not be relevant and they are dicing with danger by asking. All it takes is a disgruntled applicant to take the line that they weren't selected because they were black/white/traveller/male/female/old/young etc etc. and they;d be in the shít.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Unless you are going for a job in acting or modelling, it should not be relevant and they are dicing with danger by asking. All it takes is a disgruntled applicant to take the line that they weren't selected because they were black/white/traveller/male/female/old/young etc etc. and they;d be in the shít.

Rubbish, it has been standard practice for time no now. And the kind of games you speak about have been kicked to the kerb along time ago.

I sent an e mail response to a recruitment agency today and they've asked for a photo. Never been asked this before. Is it just a regular selfie or should I dress up interview style and send one. What's the normal procedure here? And as a side note why do they want a picture?

It's pretty much normal now a days and it is going to be the first thing of you their client is going to see, so make it formal.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Rubbish, it has been standard practice for time no now. And the kind of games you speak about have been kicked to the kerb along time ago.

How is it such standard practice? putting photos on CVs is considered a big no-no as far as I'm aware.
    How would a photo be relevant to a job application, unless that job was dependent on a person being of a certain appearence for lets say, acting or modelling roles.

I think it opens the way to challenges and trouble.

And I am aware that there have been many cases in the past where employers were challenged for discriminating on age, appearance, skin colour etc that could be inferred from a photo.
    how is it that these challeges have been now made redundant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Asking for a photo for a job where appearance doesn’t matter is a major risk.
    It could be claimed they are filtering by sex or race and they would have little defence to rely on as it’s not essential information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It's pretty much normal now a days and it is going to be the first thing of you their client is going to see, so make it formal.
    Fair enough but my job would have nothing to do with looks and the recruiter wants me to send a picture seperate to my cv. That's the part I find odd. I'm happy to send it I was just curious as to if this is the norm. Someone said it's so they can recognise you. They can recognise me when I tell them my name surely?

I think it is a bogus reason unless your appearance is somehow related to the job. As you say, they can recognise you when you tell them who you are. Bullshít excuse tbh.

My guess is that the employer might be in a business which might be very traditional and conservative and perhaps wants to screen out applicants who might be a traveler, a black, or anyone who appears foreign.

Another possibility is they are screening based on peoples social media posting history. They might want your picture so they can recognise you on Facebook and stalk your history on that to see is your lifestyle acceptable to their client.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Never heard of a photo, but a copy of ID is completely normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is it in Ireland or another country? In Germany, for example, it's common to have photos (and all kinds of stuff you'd never see here) on CV's for example.

• Advertisement

tbh, if a potential employer was to question me on my identity or to ask me to prove it, I would be pretty insulted that they would have such little faith in my integrity and credibility as a professional. I'd be questioning whether it was an organisation that was appropriate to work for. Never in my life have I had an employer ask me to prove my identity.

Fair enough but my job would have nothing to do with looks and the recruiter wants me to send a picture seperate to my cv. That's the part I find odd. I'm happy to send it I was just curious as to if this is the norm. Someone said it's so they can recognise you. They can recognise me when I tell them my name surely?

Why does it have anything to do with lucks. It's just easier to match the CV's with the faces afterwards.

Why would they need to match a CV with a face? The face has nothing to do with the actual job.
    The only face that matters is the person who they actually hire. And that is nothing to do with the recruiter, it is between the employer and employee.

It is all a rouse for stalking and to be able to stalk the right person on facebook.

I think it is a bogus reason unless your appearance is somehow related to the job. As you say, they can recognise you when you tell them who you are. Bullshít excuse tbh.

My guess is that the employer might be in a business which might be very traditional and conservative and perhaps wants to screen out applicants who might be a traveler, a black, or anyone who appears foreign.

Another possibility is they are screening based on peoples social media posting history. They might want your picture so they can recognise you on Facebook and stalk your history on that to see is your lifestyle acceptable to their client.

In the real world it always about discrimination, that is the whole point of interviewing people is all about deciding how you'd prefer to have. And it does not matter what people say, no one is going pass over someone they'd like to work with for someone else.

tbh, if a potential employer was to question me on my identity or to ask me to prove it, I would be pretty insulted that they would have such little faith in my integrity and credibility as a professional. I'd be questioning whether it was an organisation that was appropriate to work for. Never in my life have I had an employer ask me to prove my identity.

Do you realize that employers can be prosecuted for failing to satisfy themselves of your identity and that you have a legal right to work in Ireland and that the law applies to everyone. It is up to employers if they want to take the risk... but if checked, "I took there word for it will not fly".

So what are they going to do at the interview stage then?, put them behind some kind of a screen so you can't see them. You are being inconsistent.

That is fair enough yeah, but I would think that employers would do a mental risk assessment of who needs to be verified and who is a safe enough bet.

If someone asked me to provide proof that I have a legal right to work in Ireland, I can tell you I would not be impressed by it.
    If I was in some other place outside the EU and was asked, I'd have no problem with it as I would be foreign and it would be a reasonable question.

It shouldn’t be standard though and people should be fighting back against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It shouldn’t be standard though and people should be fighting back against it.

No picture, CV in bin, Move on to next CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It is all a rouse for stalking and to be able to stalk the right person on facebook.

Correct. You send in a CV of an impressive nature, then they are trawling through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram looking for the ‘Gary Delaney’ or whoever trying to get an ‘in’ into the ‘person’ and not the applicant. The ‘applicant’ has an impressive CV but they want to know the ‘person’... how they behave on nights out, any controversial political opinions, what their social life is like and put together a true picture not available or getable in a 30 minute interview and 3 page CV...

I’m private on my social media but if not I’d be going incognito around the time applying and going for jobs. There would be fûck all controversial but don’t give them an ‘in’.

You just as an employer want to see what this potential new hire looks like ? You’ll find out at the interview.

• Advertisement

Skatedude wrote: »
    No picture, CV in bin, Move on to next CV.

No pictures at all and they’d have to do it above board or not hire at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That is fair enough yeah, but I would think that employers would do a mental risk assessment of who needs to be verified and who is a safe enough bet.

If someone asked me to provide proof that I have a legal right to work in Ireland, I can tell you I would not be impressed by it.

So would you expect them to base that assessment on your accent ("he sounds ORR-TEE-EE, he must be OK", or your name "Shure Paddy Murphy is fine. But Emile Watson, nope, need to ID check that one"?

For what it's worth, people going for permanent positions through Public Jobs have to take along four photos, and a govt issue ID, and proof of address and right-to-work in Ireland if the ID doesn't show that. The individual photos are checked against the ID, and against the person sitting in front of them. This happens well before any job-offers are made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 edit_me

When I applied to Pfizer, I had to bring passport size photo to assessment center.
    I know for sure at least one case where one person attended interview and another started the job.

So would you expect them to base that assessment on your accent ("he sounds ORR-TEE-EE, he must be OK", or your name "Shure Paddy Murphy is fine. But Emile Watson, nope, need to ID check that one"?

You'll find that many many jobs are recruited on that kinda vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Why would they need to match a CV with a face? The face has nothing to do with the actual job.
    The only face that matters is the person who they actually hire. And that is nothing to do with the recruiter, it is between the employer and employee.

If you are doing 100 interviews over a week for a job having a photo is a useful aide memoire.

Let's say you have two people doing interviews and one person on the interview panel says I like theboyconor. The other interviewer says I don't really remember him standing out. The first interviewers out the picture and says that guy.

It makes it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Of course, most people jump on this as a chance to scream discrimination and how employers are evil.

OP - the photo should suit the job.

If it's a modelling position or something where you're being hired based on your looks, then you should use a photo where you look pretty / attractive.

If it's a serious customer service role then you'd want the photo to look friendly and professional.

Etc.

Basically you want them to think "this looks like the type of person who could do this role".

could a male interview be accused by a less attractive female applicant of only having given an interview to another female because she was more attractive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

could a male interview be accused by a less attractive female applicant of only having given an interview to another female because she was more attractive?

You're allowed discriminate on looks.

The discrimination legislation defines discrimination as treating one person in a less favourable way than another person based on any of the following 9 grounds:

* Civil status: includes single, married, separated, divorced, widowed people, civil partners and former civil partners
    * Family status: this refers to the parent of a person under 18 years or the resident primary carer or parent of a person with a disability
    * Sexual orientation: includes gay, lesbian, bisexual and heterosexual
    * Religion: means religious belief, background, outlook or none
    * Disability: includes people with physical, intellectual, learning, cognitive or emotional disabilities and a range of medical conditions
    * Race: includes race, skin colour, nationality or ethnic origin
    * Membership of the Traveller community.

Notice they don't mention looks.

• Advertisement

But with the current climate of being sen to be woke and people being triggered by the most trivial of things, an applicant who is passed over and suspects it being because of being overweight or having scars or whatever, could create a big public furore about it. Even though it is not illegal there is the potential for a lot of negative publicity and damage to a company's reputation.

Advertisement