Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked for photo by agency?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

And I am aware that there have been many cases in the past where employers were challenged for discriminating on age, appearance, skin colour etc that could be inferred from a photo.

Any proof of the parts in bold?
    tbh, if a potential employer was to question me on my identity or to ask me to prove it, I would be pretty insulted that they would have such little faith in my integrity and credibility as a professional. I'd be questioning whether it was an organisation that was appropriate to work for. Never in my life have I had an employer ask me to prove my identity.

Is this some sort of a joke? Is your ego that enlarged that you find offence in a potential employer making sure you are who you say you are?
    Why would they need to match a CV with a face? The face has nothing to do with the actual job.
    The only face that matters is the person who they actually hire. And that is nothing to do with the recruiter, it is between the employer and employee.

It helps recruiters. The face may very well have something to do with the job, and it's not just for actors and modeling.
    It is all a rouse for stalking and to be able to stalk the right person on facebook.

Ah here, this is nonsensical paranoia.
    It shouldn’t be standard though and people should be fighting back against it.

Yea, good one... :rolleyes: Employers will definitely lose out :rolleyes:
    biko wrote: »

Same chap will tell you that you will never get a job with a beard. He's old, he's out of fashion and completely irrelevant.
    But with the current climate of being sen to be woke and people being triggered by the most trivial of things, an applicant who is passed over and suspects it being because of being overweight or having scars or whatever, could create a big public furore about it. Even though it is not illegal there is the potential for a lot of negative publicity and damage to a company's reputation.

Who's going to listen to a fat scarred nobody who wasn't selected for a job for unknown reasons? This hypothetical situation is fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Well on the plus side, an employer cannot discriminate against you for potentially being a homosexual. And if they do, you'll get youself a grand payday out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I sent an e mail response to a recruitment agency today and they've asked for a photo. Never been asked this before. Is it just a regular selfie or should I dress up interview style and send one. What's the normal procedure here? And as a side note why do they want a picture?

I would ask them, under Article 6.1(f) Legitimate Interest, of the GDPR directive for their Legitimate Interest Assessment on why the need this information.
    https://www.gdpreu.org/the-regulation/key-concepts/legitimate-interest/

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You can ask that of course. You are entitled. And they might respond.
    However, you would have to be not too bothered about the job as they will put your CV in the bin as they will see you as an argumentative trouble maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'm honestly not too fussed about it I don't want people here to argue that wasn't the point of the thread. To clear a couple if things up it's a management role in the hospitality industry. I've no issues with sending people photos as I said earlier why? If it's to do with looks I wouldn't consider myself any way good looking so is there any point in moving forward and what type photo to send if anybody here has any experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

But with the current climate of being sen to be woke and people being triggered by the most trivial of things, an applicant who is passed over and suspects it being because of being overweight or having scars or whatever, could create a big public furore about it. Even though it is not illegal there is the potential for a lot of negative publicity and damage to a company's reputation.

"We choose candidates based on their skill level, previous experience, education, how their interview went, and how we feel they would blend into our current team. Hiring is often difficult and unfortunately we could only offer this job to one person. We wish all unsuccessful applicants the best of luck in their career, and we would encourage them to apply for other roles in our company should they believe they are a suitable match."

As long as the company doesn't admit they hired based on looks, it's almost impossible to prove.

I agree with your general point though. Some people are always looking for an opportunity to be outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

biko wrote: »

This I find shocking...

“Even more frequently I am asked “should I put a picture on my CV?” I find this a hard question to answer, not because I don’t have a view on the matter but because it’s a very personal thing and some people just like to include it.

I believe that the culture here in this country is such that a picture is rarely included. We are more inclined to print a QR code where a quick scan will bring the reader to your Facebook or other private pages. There the idea of a picture is far more acceptable. If your not sure try it, there are lots free QR code generator websites that you can use.”

Sure at this rate we are one step away from handing them our Facebook, Twitter and email passwords too. I can see companies in the future at this rate inviting you to interview but it being conditional on you sending them all of your social media details ! What next, as part of the hiring process they want to do a ‘home visit’ with you and interview you and the family and dog in the living room ?

We need to soften the cough of employers in this country, already taking massive steps into invading the personal lives and overall wellbeing of employees.

Advertisement