Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zinc or aluminium.. Science project for 10 year old

• 11-03-2020 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

My youngest is doing a science project. He saw one on YouTube where he gets to generate power from a potato and that's what he has decided to do.
    It uses copper and zinc strips. I can use cent coins for copper but where can I source small zinc strips?
    One online comment suggested substituting this zinc with aluminium? Will that work? Or elsewhere advice is to use a nail... are all regular nails zinc?
    Any advice would be much appreciated..

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Poor study can mean a zero in honours leaving chemistry. More study gents.

Potassium - explodes on contact with water YMMV
    Sodium
    Calcium
    Magnesium - some expensive laptops use this, with copper will light an LED
    Aluminium - may form a passive coating
    Zinc - old batteries, galvanised stuff USA cent coins
    Iron - nails and stuff
    Hydrogen
    Lead
    Copper
    Mercury - toxic and not cheap
    Silver - not cheap
    Gold - also not cheap

It's the electrochemical series.

You want metals as far apart as possible.
    https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/electrode-potential-d_482.html - sort by voltage

Advertisement