Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abtran?

Options
  • 11-03-2020 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any inside information about Abtran? Having worked as a call centre agent? Or know anyone who has done?

I got a call for an interview recently (and accepted), but the more research I do on the company, the more I'm wondering what I'm getting myself into.

I would be moving to Cork if I got the job so I'm worried about investing in it. I've read reviews on here (old threads) and job sites which are either giving terrible reviews of the place, or they're lukewarm-ish.

I know call centre jobs are never going to be great. But just looking for some reassurance or insight.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

eldudebros wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any inside information about Abtran? Having worked as a call centre agent? Or know anyone who has done?

I got a call for an interview recently (and accepted), but the more research I do on the company, the more I'm wondering what I'm getting myself into.

I would be moving to Cork if I got the job so I'm worried about investing in it. I've read reviews on here (old threads) and job sites which are either giving terrible reviews of the place, or they're lukewarm-ish.

I know call centre jobs are never going to be great. But just looking for some reassurance or insight.

Thank you.

No experience with Abtran specifically but do have experience with call centres. I think that they all get bad reviews though. Call centers have lots of ways of monitoring you and they love to do that to get as much as possible out of you. That way the people at the top can work the arse off 1000 people, making them as efficient as possible so the people at the top can get the big salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Try Amazon or Apple for contact work, they would both be much better than Abtran and offer more of a career path.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I've never worked there myself but I've heard vastly different things. One lady that worked there said it was soul destroying - she was usually dealing with customers that couldn't pay their bills and there was quotas for everything. A friend's wife worked there for 11+ years and loved it. Think it might depend on the role/dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Wife's friend could have been one of the floor masters. There are certain individuals would would be more than able to get their kicks out of a role like that.

Place was a hell hole according to my ex. Extreme levels of micromanagement and monitoring and she would often come out of it in tears when I'd go to pick her up.

Some of the floor masters were sadists who got a thrill out of making the work day of others a misery.

It was a frequent occurance for people to just get up from a call or a meeting with a master and walk out the door never to come back. Staff turnover was off the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eldudebros

Arra sh1te anyway. Thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Could be ok as a temporary job for someone who didn't give a crap or take things personally. Just go in do what u can, and key the shaming and bullcrapn be water off a ducks back

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

I worked there many years ago (10+) while I lived in Cork and if you're entry level on the phones it's soul destroying. The staff turnover is huge, they'd employ dogs off the street if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Do Abtran still only allow 7 minutes for "bathroom breaks" in a day? I know about 8 years back a friend who was working there during the summer got a written warning after going over the 7 minutes 3 times in a month or something. He was only there while off college so just laughed at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They are always hiring, I think that tells you all you need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

I worked there before, it's a stop gap if you have nothing lined up for a few months. I learned certain skills there such as customer service which got me other jobs afterwards. It's a stepping stone to other jobs.

However the money isn't overly great, 20k pa, It's something you need to be aware of moving to Cork. Just do your research.

Secondly this virus could close that type of business for a few months so just be aware of that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Glory83

It is not a career job rather than a transition to a better one. Call centre environment micromanaged. I believe you can try it if you do not already have a job in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

If you are young and you know it is only short term you may be able to handle it.
    But stay there too long and the disrespect and humiliation will break you.
    Very few last longer than a year unless they are the nasty psychos that aspire to become one of the enforcers.

Advertisement