Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

pure.conya wrote: »
    i seen a member of the irish minority group walk into lidl the other day and start pawing away at the loose bread rolls, the ignorant cow didnt give a second thought for anybody else, i told management why the rolls could be contaminated and they took them off the shelf immediately to throw them all out

A few months back I saw people begging supermarkets to remove the packaging off things and it really pi**ed me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Brexit is out of the news.
    Saying that so is Sinn Fein, gone very quiet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

i seen a member of the irish minority group walk into lidl the other day and start pawing away at the loose bread rolls, the ignorant cow didnt give a second thought for anybody else, i told management why the rolls could be contaminated and they took them off the shelf immediately to throw them all out

How is this a positive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

When using Boards over an extended period, you start to paint a picture of some of the other users. Sometimes you feel a particular kinship with them and might even connect via PM which can lead to a real world connection.

And sometimes, you get the idea that someone is a bad egg, and that their online persona probably reflects who they are in real life. But, they may have been here as long as yourself and you think maybe it is just you that has zero time for them which could lead you to think that maybe your way of viewing things is incorrect.

On several occasions over the last couple of weeks, I have seen such posters demonstrate their true colors on Covid-19 threads in a way that 100% confirmed for me what sort of person they are.
    For those of them who won't be banned from Boards by the time this is over, I hope that others remember their true colors when they start to pontificate on other topics such as the environment or immigration or whatever.

So yeah, even though it is a tiny topic, that has been a positive for me at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

I saw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

leavingirl wrote: »
    No positives. Absolutely none. Except if you are on power. When the greatest ever economic depression takes hold they will blame it on the virus. The number of suicides that results will far outnumber the virus numbers. It's a pity the Lemmings cannot see this.

I doubt you will heed this but the below is from the Doc doing the AMA on another thread. This is the reality.

I'm on record previously as stating that the best case scenarios I foresaw for Ireland over the next year were as follows:
    Optimistic Best: 2,000 Dead.
    Reasonable Best: 5,000 Dead.
    Pessimistic Best: 10,000 Dead

Optimistic Middle: 20,000 Dead.
    Reasonable Middle 50,000 Dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Telephone Calls Now

Block their numbers NOW :)

Wanting to sit on your ma’s couch and smoke weed is not a mental illness, turas nua are only persuing people who are mentally and physically capable of working to try help them find work, im sure it feels like torture but they have your and aocieties best interests at heart.

Hahaha, you're deluded if you think they have people's and Irish societies best interests at heart, they'll tell you apply to Aldi or Lidl for 20 hours a week.

Good point maybe weed might be tolerated after this pandemic has subsided, the amount of jobs and money it could generate for housing, healthcare to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The handshake has had it's day, I for one won't be sad to see the back of it.

You either got a limp-wristed shake like a dead fish, a horrible clammy sweaty shake or some macho twat trying to assert his dominance by fracturing as many of the small bones in your hand as possible.
    RIP Handshake: Rest In Piss :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Block their numbers NOW :)

Hahaha, you're deluded if you think they have people's and Irish societies best interests at heart, they'll tell you apply to Aldi or Lidl for 20 hours a week.

Good point maybe weed might be tolerated after this pandemic has subsided, the amount of jobs and money it could generate for housing, healthcare to name a few.

it doesn't surprise me that you're anti work and pro cannabis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

it doesn't surprise me that you're anti work and pro cannabis.

It doesn't surprise me that you haven't a clue, I personally think work is great, physically, mentally but a person shouldn't be in a worse financial position due to working than on the dole, while the employers are making millions, as has happened employees have been dropped even though the bigger employers could have kept them on a few weeks.

I support the tolerance of "weed" to regulate the THC content and remove criminality along with a lot of JOBS and a massive cash injection for state services, just like you can have a low alcohol drink or a whiskey.

The problems caused by "weed" is because it's illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

more people taking up home-baking and cooking

Warzones around the world have gone quiet, forced ceasefires or is it just that nobody is reporting from there atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

I believe the family unit will be stronger after we get through this .

fryup wrote: »
    more people taking up home-baking and cooking
    And teaching the kids hopefully, a great skill for them to have when they get older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

The handshake has had it's day, I for one won't be sad to see the back of it.

Lets get rid of that ridiculous elbow rub at the same time and bring in the polite bow as a more dignified replacement.

storker wrote: »
    Lets get rid of that ridiculous elbow rub at the same time and bring in the polite bow as a more dignified replacement.
    Of for sure. I've always liked that japanese tradition. Better than the old germ-spreader.
    Hugging among younger people, it has gotten really popular this last decade or so, you can kiss that goodbye (those double cheek kisses too)

Hugging among younger people, it has gotten really popular this last decade or so, you can kiss that goodbye (those double cheek kisses too)

ya whats that about? we're not americans

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

The cancellation of two of the most pointless, mind-numbing forms of entertainment:

Soap operas for the ladies

Sport for the lads

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

We'll all be spending more time outdoors after all this hopefully.

Less TV, Less Internet and more appreciation for the elderly and parents.

Hopefully in a month we'll be through the worst and we'll all have a better outlook about what's important in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

moonage wrote: »
    The cancellation of two of the most pointless, mind-numbing forms of entertainment:

Sport for the lads

I remember you from the Big Brother thread ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭upinthesky

America's weekly mass-shootings have been cancelled.

The sales of guns have risen dramatically, not good at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

We'll all be spending more time outdoors after all this hopefully.

Less TV, Less Internet and more appreciation for the elderly and parents.

Hopefully in a month we'll be through the worst and we'll all have a better outlook about what's important in life.

Hopefully.

I hope that you are correct.

The statistics show that we will have 100,000 plus cases in this island before end of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

So far This virus has had a lot of positives, I’ve gotten away with not going to the horrendous paddy’s day parade, Spending an hour looking for parking, marching the Badly greenly decorated kids a few miles down the road to be late and miss half of the boring floats Bring driven down the by the local tractors, only to spend 2 hours looking for a place to get something overpriced and undercooked to eat.

Then Mother’s Day was cancelled, so I didn’t have to endure the condescending insulting ignorant views of my mother in law as she ignorantly insults everybody at the table and gives a whopping reminder to Her own kids why they ignore her most of the year. A cross between trump and that Gemma One who Almost ran for presidency in ireland

And I bought tickets to a match that I couldn’t go to anyway and it’s been cancelled, would have been impossible to sell them on but I’m getting a refund now. Result.

All going well nobody I know dies from this virus, a few Bookies go into liquidation and The lockdown lasts until a day after the mother in laws birthday.

I've started doing yoga with online videos and it's great so far. This lady has loads of videos for beginners and also vids to help with specific problems like a bad back etc. http://https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

OH has also got me doing a guided meditation every day. I thought this would be a load of mumbo jumbo but it really helps relax you and calm your mind. There are loads of vids on YT, anyone who's feeling stressed or anxious should certainly give it a try. It works wonders for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've started doing yoga with online videos and it's great so far. This lady has loads of videos for beginners and also vids to help with specific problems like a bad back etc.

Finally started it last year myself, loving it, must start doing it at home though

moonage wrote: »

Sport for the lads
    I see a lot of France's professional soccer teams are going bankrupt.
    Are clubs still paying players wages during the sport ban? Advertisers are probably pulling out too, very little revenue coming in so I wouldn't be suprised if English teams start folding their tents soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People cooking for themselves, not having luke warm food delivered by a modern day coolie on a bike courtesy of a multinational corporation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    Its awful but the aging population has become a huge issue, people kept alive in nursing homes with no quality of life!

It must be awful for you to be isolated but thank God they have good broadband access and you're a hip silver surfer.
    Your family will be able to visit in a few weeks, don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

The price of scrap metal and catalytic converters has collapsed apparently - Prius owners can sleep more soundly!

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    The price of scrap metal and catalytic converters has collapsed apparently - Prius owners can sleep more soundly!

Less "travelling salesmen" calling to houses then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Car maintenance levels can fall along with the amount of money spent on fuel.

I mentioned cleaner air before, here is an article with 2019 v 2020 air pollution graphics for China, Korea, Italy and the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/23/coronavirus-pandemic-leading-to-huge-drop-in-air-pollution

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

To turn back to God and make yourself right, giving the increasing atheist society we now live in that's controlled by the mass produced mainstream media.

My lack of faith in God has nothing to do with mainstream media and more to to with educational common sense.

Dont come on shaming others into your faith. Not fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Childcare workers and teachers getting more appreciation for what they do, now parents are finding out just how insufferable their little dears are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

***Pure selfish post alert***

Personally I am loving working from home full time!
    Saving 12 hours of my life a week not having to commute.

I love waking up naturally (no alarm clock necessary) and getting bed at 730- 830am , throw on whatever clothes you like, no need for makeup, eat breakfast and still be on time for work.

I've been either getting out for a run or walk every day at lunchtime, down a nearly country lane with just fields and sunshine, or doing some weights or Pilates at home if it's raining. It's much easier to get too stuck in work things at the office during the day to be as disciplined.

Love finishing at 5/6 and seeing my little girl straight away! My dog is delighted with the wfh arrangement as well.

That Sunday night dread/fear feeling has also disappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

Childcare workers and teachers getting more appreciation for what they do, now parents are finding out just how insufferable their little dears are!

Oh my god yes! To constantly be told that because I work in childcare, I don't have a "proper" education and I dont have a "proper" job is so frustrating... Yet I have spoken to a few friends who are a week into homeschooling their kids... All i can do is laugh! Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Hopefully Trump will be sent packing in November given his bungling of this crisis.
    Then we'll all be safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Alibaba wrote: »
    Hopefully Trump will be sent packing in November given his bungling of this crisis.
    Then we'll all be safer.

What I'm seeing over here in the states is a combination of people focusing on the China origin of this as being 99% of the problem rather than how it has been handled and also people saying Democrats are only using this to be political, like both of these absolve Trump from his criminal ineptitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Sales of my homemade facemasks have gone through the roof!

Screenshot-20200323-182255.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

CaoinDory wrote: »
    My lack of faith in God has nothing to do with mainstream media and more to to with educational common sense.

Dont come on shaming others into your faith. Not fair.

its nothing to do about fairness, its just a load of nonsense, no wonder the catholic church is falling. its completely okay to have a faith and not have a faith, best of luck to you if you do, but preaching to people wont work, it doesnt work anymore, we ve educated ourselves, learned a lot about ourselves, theres no need for all this shaming people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Good to get confirmation of what I have long suspected -that there are some very ignorant greedy assholes out there, would a person not be mortified to be spotted queuing for a Mac Donald's in today's situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

mojesius wrote: »
    ***Pure selfish post alert***

Personally I am loving working from home full time!
    Saving 12 hours of my life a week not having to commute.

I love waking up naturally (no alarm clock necessary) and getting bed at 730- 830am , throw on whatever clothes you like, no need for makeup, eat breakfast and still be on time for work.

I've been either getting out for a run or walk every day at lunchtime, down a nearly country lane with just fields and sunshine, or doing some weights or Pilates at home if it's raining. It's much easier to get too stuck in work things at the office during the day to be as disciplined.

Love finishing at 5/6 and seeing my little girl straight away! My dog is delighted with the wfh arrangement as well.

That Sunday night dread/fear feeling has also disappeared.
    I don't know about some of the other posts on this thread, but this is definitely a "positive".
    It sounds like working from home is beneficial both physically and mentally for you.

Good for you.

the beef industry is going to need a serious bailout after this, definitely one to be protected as its a treasured industry of our isle.

I propose a beef and beer bailout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

McDonalds closing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

There is nothing positive about it, there is just adjusting to a new normal. There are five to seven stages of grief and we are all at one or another stage. The people who come out happy clappy may be in denial or trying to make the best of a bad lot. I worry that people will bottle this up and say it’s all grand better to acknowledge it’s @hit but we’re keeping our heads above water.

I work from home and then I forgot what’s going on and then when I come out of work mode and stop, I feel I’ve woken up to a bad dream. Still try to make happy moments and kids would lift your spirits, music is great too and how people are supporting each other off and online.But this is hugely traumatic and it should be acknowledged as such, better out than in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

I see a lot of France's professional soccer teams are going bankrupt.
    Are clubs still paying players wages during the sport ban? Advertisers are probably pulling out too, very little revenue coming in so I wouldn't be suprised if English teams start folding their tents soon.

Interesting, how will people feel about arsehloes
    Like neymar, Ronaldo.... getting paid a million a week when thousands have died in your country. Will people still think they're worth it.the same we hope will go for influencers, Z listers face M look and the rest .No everyone but hopefully a load will keep on and do something less vacuous with their time

fast food outlets closing - might curb the obesity crisis and make people eat proper home cooked food

* just hope they don't opt for microwave easy dinners

fryup wrote: »
    fast food outlets closing - might curb the obesity crisis and make people eat proper home cooked food

* just hope they don't opt for microwave easy dinners

frozen pizzas were the first thing I noticed sold out in shops , don't think we're solving anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Positives... lots of time with my daughter.

More time outdoors (our garden is the size of a small suburban park, we live in North Dublin).

Way more exercise for my daughter.

Being grateful for more small things in life.

Spending much less money on petrol and crap.

Communicating more with my family than ever before.

Grateful for mine and my families' health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

with barbers closed, mullets will come back into fashion!
    80s-Mullet-Haircut.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement