Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Lavinia wrote: »
    So to see the positive is a bit difficult at the time..

Some positives.
    60,000 signed up within 4 days to be 'On call for Ireland'.
    Doctors are coming home from Australia to help out.
    An Post have announced that their staff will call on people to see are they ok or to deliver newspapers or supplies.
    GAA clubs are coordinating support structures in their communities.
    People are finding strength in humour and posting uplifting videos and pictures to give others a laugh.
    Aer Lingus are flying their biggest plane to China for medical supplies for the country.
    We have a (temporary) government in charge who are doing very well in both organisation and communication to this point.
    The figures of people getting ill and dying are (thankfully) (so far) less than we had feared.

Thousands of people die every day, it is the circle of life (and I'm not being flippant about the seriousness of this), but we still can find positives in the middle of the serious news if we look for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I'm about 90% switched off from Coviddom these past few days. Of course I'm still social distancing, staying at home unless essential, and keeping an ear open for any major Irish headlines or new directives...but I just had to tune out from the sheer amount of related media and discourse I was consuming these past few weeks. I wasn't losing my shít over the virus or in a major panic, but I just found that everything was becoming COVID-19 and it just wasn't good for the mind. Especially if we're staring down the barrel at months of this.

I had to do that too. It was becoming overwhelming. I keep abreast of developments a few times a day and post in this forum a bit but I’ve stepped away from constantly consuming coronavirus news. It’s focused my mind on other things like films I’ve wanted to watch for ages and books I’ve wanted to read. I’m also chatting a lot more with family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

are there any good sides to this situation

boris Johnsen finally stoped the dfs sale

some of the great you tubers out there are in isolation and creating great content

Families are getting to spend a lot of time together. Small kids with working parents are delighted to get their parents to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I had 2 last week, nice chaps.

I had one...nice chops, if a little chewy.

On the positives note, I reckon any affairs that were in flight are completely grounded.
    No work, no travel and no excuses to work late.

Hey both of you, thanks a lot for your concern, I am not feeling sad because of myself, I am okay and my family and friends, I do not yet know anyone personally who was effected with this.
    But generally as thousands of people are dying daily I can feel the impact of this on lives of millions, I presume none of us can avoid, no matter if you switch off or not.
    I am also lucky to be able to work from home, so this takes good 9 or more hours a day for me to keep myself very occupied and busy.

However, it seems everything is changing and I presume nobody can yet see the full impact of this on humanity and society not to mention economy and so on..
    So to see the positive is a bit difficult at the time..

I am sorry if it is not suitable for this thread..

I also found today some humor that made me laugh at our situations, talking to family and friends..

It’s okay. I think many people are feeling the same as you. We’re not used to this coming from a Western country with a temperate climate and no real natural disasters. This is a shock to the system of many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm going to re-train as a hairdresser

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We are rapidly approaching a century of thread merges in a forum that has only been in existence for not much more than a week

A special ban prize to whoever hits the ton

It's worth checking if someone has already thought of your brainwave before starting a new thread;)

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The TV is running out of soap (opera).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes no soaps, it'll be interesting what they'll show instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Well the garden is looking great
    I'm spending less (although almost no income, but let's be positive here)
    The dog is fitter than ever and the vet will be delighted when reopens
    Finally caught up on all that pesky admin
    The weather was beautiful today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't really watch soaps I was wondering are they incorporating the virus into their storylines. Self-isolation not really the stuff of drama you'd think. Maybe they could do a string of monologue episodes like the Dot Cotton one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

fryup wrote: »

In the UK it's rumoured they'll show old episodes of Corronation Streey and Emmerdale as they do on ITV 3 every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I'm going to re-train as a hairdresser

Good luck! Especially with perming! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

The thought of re-watching a football match baffles me.

If you were a lifelong mid 40's Everton fan you might understand the appeal ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

BBC are going to show re-runs of El Dorado, which will give it an opportunity it didn't have before, people may actually watch it.
    ITV are going to try and start Crossroads again from the start.
    Dave has taken everything else.

i admit i struggle to see any positives anymore..

im thinking to try to stay away from news for some time to get my sanity back as those are devastating..

I gave up Facebook and despite not having a garden - bought seeds and pots - as I was seriously depressed last week. Only check in here once a day & the news the same.
    Watched bookbinding on You Tube.
    Made proper Carbonara - got the kids to do it. Delicious.
    Just find little things to distract you - and it's normal to struggle for a bit - just mind yourself.

My husband said the same!

Also mojesius, you will love this. A dog sprained his tail from wagging it so much due to his happiness at all the extra attention he's been getting with everyone at home all the time. Apparently this is NOT a joke. I LOVE it. :D

https://thehooksite.com/this-dog-sprained-his-tail-from-wagging-it-so-much-because-everyone-is-home-with-him/?fbclid=IwAR288Oig7T7ebue5RIFnxq9kknmhCW_h-ngjJrpVOgkGJrkhCSpdU9TXeIg

My dog sprained his tail - was terrified he'd broke his spine - cost me 225 euro to find out he'd just been a bit too happy! 7 days later tail was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

One positive is the comedy value of that general mega-thread in this forum with the box-bedroom expert speculators!

Funny, funny stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

It’s okay. I think many people are feeling the same as you. We’re not used to this coming from a Western country with a temperate climate and no real natural disasters. This is a shock to the system of many people.
    Thank you.
    I haven't been home in over 6 months, was about to go to holidays on 21st march, needless to say my flights got cancelled and is now impossible to travel.
    So I do miss my family, people who are isolating with their family are prob not aware how lucky they actually are..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've so much more energy these days. Normally I go to gym during the week after 11pm as it's the only time I can do. Now I can to the gym in the mornings, kids also do someb exercise with me, and I then work in the afternoons. I can move a lot more metal than at 11pm.

My dog sprained his tail - was terrified he'd broke his spine - cost me 225 euro to find out he'd just been a bit too happy! 7 days later tail was fine.

Has he sprained it since?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

jester77 wrote: »
    I've so much more energy these days. Normally I go to gym during the week after 11pm as it's the only time I can do. Now I can to the gym in the mornings, kids also do someb exercise with me, and I then work in the afternoons. I can move a lot more metal than at 11pm.
    It will grind you down, eventually. Don't think you are immune to the global economic depression that's starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

life appears to have beaten you since birth.

The price of fuels will come down, the world has more or less run out of storage space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That is the the kind of poster who you are better off adding to ignore list, especially when you are coming on to a forum to discuss the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

The people ignoring this virus and just laughing it off both in the UK and US seem to be of a similar herd. Brexit supporting proud Brits and Trump cultist Americans.

There’ll probably be a lot fewer of both factions over the next year or so.
    Guess you could call that a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Covid-19 is not mutating much as it passes through the human population, which is positive on two fronts. Firstly it avoids a scenario where the virus becomes more dangerous as it infects more people, secondly it makes developing a vaccine more straightforward.

The number of new coronavirus cases in Italy fell for the second day in a row on Monday, and the person with the first known case of local transmission – known as Patient 1 – has left the hospital. The country recorded 4,789 new cases on Monday compared to 5,560 cases on Sunday, raising hopes that the lockdown is working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

NIMAN wrote: »
    And the trolley crisis too.

No-one seems to be bad enough to be sitting in an A&E for 48hrs now.

The Gov should use this fall as a basis for penalising those who clog up A&E.

The medical professionals unions, INMO etc, should no longer use these numbers as a stick to beat the sitting Gov with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

In the UK it's rumoured they'll show old episodes of Corronation Streey and Emmerdale as they do on ITV 3 every day.

Corona-tion Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Corona-tion Street

I prefer to watch Lockdown-ton Abbey myself.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »

:(

tumblr_nb05e9Wl3H1tiqwkoo2_r2_540.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

RTE to show gigs from this lot?

bus-to-THE-CORONAS-INDEPENENT-PARK-19.jpg

(I bet they're doin a lot more business on Spotify these days)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

People might accept that the pubs don't need to be open all the time in order for us to survive as a nation. Maybe bring back Good Friday closing? (It's only one day after all). Pub staff deserve a break and when it's enforced across the board, there is no fear of losing out on business to competitors.

For me personally, I've noticed that since I have been off college, my insomnia has gone away and I'm sleeping way better than I used to, which in turn gives me more energy to exercise during the day, which is nice considering I'm coming to the end of a Garmin training programme I'm following.

If anyone is bored and wants to try out new routes and you have a subscription to Strava premium then they recently launched a new route generator for both running and cycling. I'm impressed with the routes it has generated for me.

Who here is also using the time to improve their fitness and health?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Everyone needs to contribute to society.

No more free gaffs, money, entitlements for able bodied people who couldnt be arsed.

We all need to put something into the pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Everyone needs to contribute to society.

No more free gaffs, money, entitlements for able bodied people who couldnt be arsed.

We all need to put something into the pot.

It is the same people putting into the pot over and over and some select few rich companies are squirreling it all away to the likes of Bermuda. Your average free gaff getter and couldn't be arsed person gets a bit of food and a roof over his head and spends the remainder on fags and booze that goes straight back to the government anyway. So not a huge drain on the country vs buying stuff on Amazon for example most of that goes to Bezos tax haven land and the money for making the actual product to China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Not the thread for that nonsense please.

Many people will realise they can live without them. Once you stop watching them, it’s amazing how quickly they recede from your mind. I watched one or two way back in the day and made the conscious effort to stop watching and it only took about a week for me to not care what about them any more. Because they are not television of substance, they are quickly forgotten. All the people working on soaps must be bricking it now because I think they’ll permanently lose a lot of their audience. Soaps really rely on bringing people back night after night.

I agree, could you please not drag this thread off topic, please take your hatred and whingeing about the unemployed over to where it belongs in After Hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Who here is also using the time to improve their fitness and health?

I think a lot of people are. I was talking to a friend yesterday and he said the bicycle shops are doing mighty business at the moment. I do see a lot of people out cycling too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I just bought a digital piano. I've always wanted to learn the piano and the virtual lockdown is the perfect excuse. That's a positive for me.

I started learning Danish last week :d
    I'm thinking if I manage to persist these 20, 30 minutes a day next year this time I may be quite good at it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There have to be silver linings for someone.

Zoom is going to overtake Facebook and google combined ( slight exaggeration )
    with everyone setting up virtual pubs with names and all and using it to talk to families. I never heard of zoom untill last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

I'm thinking if I manage to persist these 20, 30 minutes a day next year this time I may be quite good at it :)

Using an app?
    Trying to learn Tagalog using Rosetta stone but it seems to get a lot of negative reviews

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Duolingo is a good tool for learning a new language.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

There was one positive in the UK an hour ago.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

There was one positive in the UK an hour ago.

Disgusting comment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Disgusting comment.

He is a disgusting human in fairness.

There have been significant drops in nitrogen dioxide (NO2) levels in parts of Dublin as fewer people make their way around the city, according to air quality readings taken by Newstalk Breakfast

https://www.newstalk.com/news/notable-reduction-nitrogen-dioxide-levels-parts-dublin-amid-covid-19-measures-989347

• Advertisement

td2008 wrote: »
    Using an app?
    Trying to learn Tagalog using Rosetta stone but it seems to get a lot of negative reviews
    I bought some books with audio cds

but also practicing on Duolingo

so far can say few sentences :d

Advertisement