Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Duolingo is a good tool for learning a new language.
    Yes I find it really surprisingly good especially for learning pronunciation as it gives you an option to say something then it checks if it sounds alright.

needless to say Danish is not the easiest for the later

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Disgusting comment.

While I accept it's a joke in poor taste, I'll argue that it could be a positive overall if it means that a whole country takes this more seriously.

If you want to see what a disgusting comment actually looks like, remind yourself what he said only a fortnight ago. That early attitude and inaction will directly result in deaths: https://twitter.com/MikeMar82888097/status/1243499510241902592?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

leave Boris alone, he's a decent old skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Slice of gammon! Still I wouldn't wish him dead, I'd save that for Trump ;)

i hate the saying “every cloud has a silver lining”, and rolled my eyes so many times when my mother used to fondly say “it’s am ill wind that blows nobody any good” (although the latter was tricky to get the head around as a kiddie). However it is true that even the worst things in life have some good aspect to them.

Necessity being the mother of invention, we will see a fair bit of the latter in the technological/communication sphere to enable the very sick and elderly to communicate easily with those they cannot be with. Virtual Visitor robots to enable relatives to Skype their loved ones who are not able to handle or not in possession of an iPhone, etc. Of course this would be just an application And enhancement of existing technology.

How about other good or useful things that might come into application when the world has settled into its more usual pattern of existence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I think we will see more and more people working from home. This then will reduce congestion and pollution. Property prices should fall as well so maybe become more affordable to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

A realisation of our vulnerability as humans and more appreciation for life itself.

The close-crowding that takes place in some trains and the LUAS etc will not be seen as acceptable, so maybe we will see more capacity in public transport. On the other hand we will likely see people taking more to their cars, or indeed to their bikes or on foot to commute.

Parents and children will have seen much more of each other, will have done more things together and will have experienced some of the better aspects of family life in former generations, especially that in some families BOTH parents may be in the home for more of the time, providing of course that the families enjoy reasonable stability to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

That mother nature still rules the roost and we are mere guests on this rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Next flu season will see half as many deaths as people have learned hygiene (or want to use up hand sanitiser).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭circadian

Drop in pollution, even if temporarily. Definitely has opened a lot of people's eyes in terms of how they were living was unsustainable in the long term and possibly quite unsanitary.

Long periods of the population in isolation or distancing might see other viruses taking a hit as well. If no one is spreading this then they aren't spreading others. Next flu season might be interesting.

This crisis has really highlighted the **** leaders from the decent ones.

Contactless payment increases could well stay, reduction in cash usage or touching literally anything.

Some western nations will take measures to enable quicker mitigation in the event of a future outbreak, like Asian countries after SARS.

I'd like to see a UN panel or similar to deal with outbreaks where countries get huge assistance to stymie an outbreak instead of everyone doing their own thing which has proven pretty ****ing useless.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Next flu season will see half as many deaths as people have learned hygiene (or want to use up hand sanitiser).

That's guaranteed. The 2020/2021 flu season will take a lot less lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's guaranteed. The 2020/2021 flu season will take a lot less lives.

Touch wood! Touch Wood Goddammit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Supermarket, post office workers etc will probably wear gloves from now on, it'll stop nasties being passed by handling money, also the thermal paper they use to print the receipts has a chemical that can cause health problems.

Touch wood! Touch Wood Goddammit!!!

Make sure you wash your hands afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

circadian wrote: »
    Drop in pollution, even if temporarily. Definitely has opened a lot of people's eyes in terms of how they were living was unsustainable in the long term and possibly quite unsanitary.

Long periods of the population in isolation or distancing might see other viruses taking a hit as well. If no one is spreading this then they aren't spreading others. Next flu season might be interesting.

This crisis has really highlighted the **** leaders from the decent ones.

Contactless payment increases could well stay, reduction in cash usage or touching literally anything.

Some western nations will take measures to enable quicker mitigation in the event of a future outbreak, like Asian countries after SARS.

I'd like to see a UN panel or similar to deal with outbreaks where countries get huge assistance to stymie an outbreak instead of everyone doing their own thing which has proven pretty ****ing useless.

Many in the banking and governing classes would love to see 'untraceable' cash reduced to the absolute minimum so they'll no doubt look to discourage
    paper money from here on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm getting to spend a hell of a lot of time with my two young boys. Only got four weeks off when my five month old was born so it's great to have this time now and my wife is still on maternity leave so there's only me working from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Less globalization a move back to local industries and having a minimum strategic capacity in vital areas.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

An extra hour of light in the evening from tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

I know I said it before, but loving Saturday radio free of soccer, gaa and horse racing. I mean, who wants to listen to that anyway? People who are really into sport are generally out doing physical activity at the weekend. People who are into English soccer will watch it on a screen. As for horse racing...the less RTE supports the gambling industry the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I know I said it before, but loving Saturday radio free of soccer, gaa and horse racing. I mean, who wants to listen to that anyway? People who are really into sport are generally out doing physical activity at the weekend. People who are into English soccer will watch it on a screen. As for horse racing...the less RTE supports the gambling industry the better.

Like a bit of GAA but I feel there is too much sport at the weekends especially Soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

In an ironic coincidence Dad's Army is on BBC2 this evening & its the episode where the platoon declare a lockdown on the town after the railway line has been bombed.

Mainwaring in a crisis looks like a giant compared to dithering Boris:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

saabsaab wrote: »
    Less globalization a move back to local industries and having a minimum strategic capacity in vital areas.

Would be really great if everyone shopped local and took holidays local just to keep the money in the country.
    It really is a bit sick the money spent on Amazon the dirty tax dodging bastards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Tesco have been doing deals on easter eggs, I also got a few good deals on the site www.cameo.com which allows you to purchase video messages from actors, one actor quartered their price. I also got a good few deals from American camgirls who lost their jobs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

You can use the semi-circular dial, on the top or side of the radio, to change the channel - amazingly.

"People who are really into sport are generally out doing physical activity at the weekend."

For the entire day ? From dawn to dusk ? Your agenda is completely transparent. Who needs to listen to music all day ? People who are really into music are generally out making music at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Radio stations are well known for putting on content which appeals to none of the available audience all right. Sure, its such a lucrative market, they can do what they want and it doesn't matter if no one listens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Crime and gangland seems to have disappeared.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

You'd wonder if that will be the case if it continues for a couple of months..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Seems to be a spate of joyriding though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Actually now that you mention it, the addicts must be having a tough time of it. Wonder if there'll be a few that get clean almost by accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭KaneToad

In an ironic coincidence Dad's Army is on BBC2 this evening & its the episode where the platoon declare a lockdown on the town after the railway line has been bombed.

Mainwaring in a crisis looks like a giant compared to dithering Boris:D.

I could never understand how anyone, who wasn't British, ever watched that show. Its so far from being funny...

Nice username though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Actually now that you mention it, the addicts must be having a tough time of it. Wonder if there'll be a few that get clean almost by accident.

cold turkey by proxy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i have been recking my head thinking the same thing for over a week now , ,

funnily enough i havent been asked for "money for the bus " in nearly two weeks now either for some reason ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

o1s1n wrote: »
    If god exists, it means he made this virus.

In that case he can go **** himself.

God does exist, man made this happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

KaneToad wrote: »
    I could never understand how anyone, who wasn't British, ever watched that show. Its so far from being funny...

Nice username though!

Beats most RTE "comedy".

You would think RTE and other channels outputs would improve now that most everyone is stuck indoors, live shows and soaps aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

So many threads about the negative affects, maybe some positive posts.

Almost 900 people in Italy were officially classified as recovered today

General every day virus infection has dropped dramatically around the world due to social distancing.

Oil prices are on the floor.

Bed blockers have left most hospitals, thus freeing up capacity.

A&E is near empty as only actual emergencies are using it.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

Temporary reduction in pollution. Wildlife seem to be loving it. Dolphins in Venice canals.

People's hygiene is going to hopefully improve from now on.

New recognition among nations that reliance on a single powerful dictatorship for our essential goods is not sustainable.

Enemy states helping each other out.

Liverpool not winning the league would be hilarious

Smokers and fatties might change their lifestyle realising how vulnerable they are.

Health services will hopefully receive the funding they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Macker1

No delays in getting to work.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I think they stopped filming Soaps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hopefully the next flu season after this is all over will be milder as many people will have learned how to wash their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Shaking hands as a traditional greeting or to acknowledge a deal will end.
    I always found it uncomfortable anyway. No one wants a sweaty palm against theirs by choice. Future generations will find the practice archaic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Fatties doing their nut because everyone else is getting on with things and exercising, any day now the penny will drop.

Takeaways being closed, scobies have to cook for their kids.

Companies realising people can work productively at home and not have to be slaves to commuting.

Health workers being recognised for the heros they have always been.

Teachers being recognised as the layabouts they have always been.

The horsey set being seen for what they are.

People realising life goes in without the money driven epl.

Sky sports losing nearly all of their customers.

Families spending time together everyday in the fresh air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,509 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Marsden35 wrote: »
    Temporary reduction in pollution. Wildlife seem to be loving it. Dolphins in Venice canals.

People's hygiene is going to hopefully improve from now on.

New recognition among nations that reliance on a single powerful dictatorship for our essential goods is not sustainable.

Enemy states helping each other out.

Liverpool not winning the league would be hilarious

Smokers and fatties might change their lifestyle realising how vulnerable they are.

Health services will hopefully receive the funding they need.

Nope. https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/20/debunked-video-does-not-show-dolphins-in-venice-s-canals-thecube

Noone gives a $hit about the Muppets swinging around flaunting their latest iPhone / Android talking aloud on it.

Maybe Events organisers (the usual suspects) can reflect and plan how to prevent gigs / trade show turning into
    Clusterfu¢ks and ombishambles a that seems to influence their plight in Ireland much moreso than elsewhere

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Possibly mentioned, but Ireland was lucky that Leo Varadkar was taoiseach and election was gone and he had no need to play to an audience.

He had nothing to gain and nothing to lose.

But more importantly, he's a doctor, his partner is a doctor, his dad is a doctor and his mum was a nurse.

So he understood the possibility of this being horrendous and did not need to question the experts.

So whilst he may not have done everything well in the past few years, he's the right person in the right place for now, and that has to be a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Social distancing in supermarkets at the checkout. I can't quite explain this, it's not a snobbish thing, but I do like it.

No sports news. I mean the constant drone of banal sports news (especially team sports), injury reports, surnames, etc, which I think is OTT ordinarily. Have noting against sport per se. (edit: I never thought I'd live to see the day this would come to a complete halt).

The huge reduction in traffic. I live in the busiest part of a town center and over the years I've decided I hate traffic. The sound of it is the biggest annoyance, and the never ending flow of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

fryup wrote: »
    cold turkey by proxy ?

I do feel for the sober alcoholics though.
    Many are at an unexpected loose end too, maybe meetings are cancelled.
    It could be a testing time.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
Advertisement