Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

I do feel for the sober alcoholics though.
    Many are at an unexpected loose end too, maybe meetings are cancelled.
    It could be a testing time.

You would have thought many might use it as an opportunity to reassess their relationship with alcohol too, rather than just drinking their way through it.. probably not though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

No need to iron shirts tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

No need to iron shirts tonight.

No fear for a lot of people :)

To thine own self be true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Today was a cracking day weatherwise. Beautiful sunset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Darc19 wrote: »
    Possibly mentioned, but Ireland was lucky that Leo Varadkar was taoiseach and election was gone and he had no need to play to an audience.

He had nothing to gain and nothing to lose.

But more importantly, he's a doctor, his partner is a doctor, his dad is a doctor and his mum was a nurse.

So he understood the possibility of this being horrendous and did not need to question the experts.

So whilst he may not have done everything well in the past few years, he's the right person in the right place for now, and that has to be a positive.

And his 2 sisters are midwives and they're married to doctors, I'm not even joking!

Positives for me are ,I love working from home, I love not having to go anywhere, I love being able to exercise loads. Honestly if i didnt know what was the reason for all these cool things I'd be thinking life is great. Unfortunately its ****ed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Today was a cracking day weatherwise. Beautiful sunset.

Lovely, to be picky abit cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I actually think people will drink more at home and possibly eat junk food.
    Subscriptions and online viewing will increase.
    Retailers will push online sales and offer free delivery and we may see an increase in this.
    Couples who are working from home possibly will have relations and we might see a few extra babies in nine months.

I'm drinking more and eating junk food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Lovely, to be picky abit cold.

Bloody freezing here in North Mayo. I've developed a sniffle, as if I didn't have enough to be paranoid about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I presume house prices will drop rapidly due to an oncoming recession or would I be wrong in predicting this ?

Haven't a clue when it comes to the property market but will be looking to bug my first home within the next 18 months as was the plan before this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

ricero wrote: »
    I presume house prices will drop rapidly due to an oncoming recession or would I be wrong in predicting this ?

Haven't a clue when it comes to the property market but will be looking to bug my first hkme within the next 18 months as was the plan before this.

that's not a positive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Will be for first time buyers if houses are cheaper

I'm just kidding myself really that it might put an end to the more superficial Instagram aspects of our culture though, amn't I..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

The cleanliness all around!

Usually I keep my house as clean as possible while working fulltime, but I'm not too bothered with details. Now I'm walking through the house like a warrior queen, sanitizing/antibacterial cleaning stuff like guns and spears in hand in search of any surface that hasn't been cleaned yet.
    Now all the light switches, door knobs, window openers, forgotten corners are gleaming.

Same with my next door neighbour who is whizzing around killing the enemy, both of us exchanging over the fence tips where there might be any germ/bacteria/virus left.

Then the effects of social distancing.
    I actually have more of a social life, though only via social media/internet/phone, than before. I'm in constant contact with people I usually take for granted. Suddenly life is precious and you want to know how everyone is, exchanging experiences and feelings, and silly gifs and videos. And suddenly you know whom you actually care about and who cares about you, and that friendship blossoms where you never suspected it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Aye but no houses will be built for them to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Spending less, saving more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That depends on your perspective.

The same applies to landlords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The site I'm working at was to shut down the middle of this year, we manufacture medicine and tablets that are in huge demand from the market as they treat all the symptoms of Covid-19/flu, mainly fever. The shelves are empty of all these products in every shop and supermarket so we've been basically begged by the government to stay open and produce more until December. Another 6 months of work definitely not to be sneezed at, particularly at a tough time when so many have lost their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Haven't a clue when it comes to the property market but will be looking to bug my first home within the next 18 months as was the plan before this.

Hard to know, there will be a lot of inheritance floating around after this as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

It’s been brilliant seeing people and communities just being sound and stepping up to help neighbors and coming up with brilliant ideas like Feed the heroes. It’s the best kind of herd behavior. When we’re threatened we pull together no matter our differences.

This is something I hope continues on after this crisis passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I'm just kidding myself really that it might put an end to the more superficial Instagram aspects of our culture though, amn't I..

Jess Redden, famous only for being Rob Kearney’s missus, has been brazenly shilling lipgloss all week. Tone deaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Main reason they will be cheaper is that people can't afford the higher price. I don't think overall affordability will improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

a month ago i would have said we needed a new motorway providing an outer ring to relive the m50.

if we encouraged more people to work from home we would not need this and that is f**ing amazing.

we are doing dublin wrong....we do not need a million people converging on dublin between 6.30am and 9.30 am and leaving again between 16:00 and 19:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I really think after this people will need to be nicer to each other and dont just hate on someone for something trivial like some do, give everyone the benefot of the doubt, people need to stop getting offended by stupid ridiculous things aka snowflakes, people should use social media less as it's become more of a curse thesedays whereas previously it was a fantastic resource, but with so much fake news,drama queens, political experts ,people who live out their entire existence on social media and people who bully others on social media,etc,etc,etc people need to realise there is more to life and to get out there into the open rather than living life through a smartphone or laptop.

I also think we as a society need to help people who have been very damaged by all of this, the world should work together and ensure everything possible is done so this never occurs again (if at all possible) maybe its wishful thinking on my behalf but these are just my own thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I actually find people are being far nicer to one another now on social media and it's being used better and we can see how it's a good resource.
    There's always going to a little fake news, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

a month ago i would have said we needed a new motorway providing an outer ring to relive the m50.

if we encouraged more people to work from home we would not need this and that is f**ing amazing.

we are doing dublin wrong....we do not need a million people converging on dublin between 6.30am and 9.30 am and leaving again between 16:00 and 19:00

You would also normally have similar traffic tailbacks in the other cities like Cork, Limerick, Galway etc; at similar times during early morning & early evenings. More motorways & roads generally leads to more traffic.

156K people have now recovered from Coronavirus around the world!

I actually find people are being far nicer to one another now on social media and it's being used better and we can see how it's a good resource.
    There's always going to a little fake news, etc.

A little?

Facebook and Twitter are awash with fake news, i have accounts on both but no longer use them have an occasional look and the sheer amount of fake news and gullible people who share this on is astounding , Instagram is ok as it's just photos but in general social media is to be avoided at all costs unless to check with family and friends well being.

I remember a time before social media and with social media, and i would choose not to have social media any day, just my 2 cents anyway.

156K people have now recovered from Coronavirus around the world!

I would say it's a lot more than that. Many hardly knew they had it. I know one person in Ireland who was put on the list for a test over 3 weeks and has since been taken off the list because he recovered completely with what he had. He had all the Covid19 symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

jonnny68 wrote: »
    A little?

Facebook and Twitter are awash with fake news, i have accounts on both but no longer use them have an occasional look and the sheer amount of fake news and gullible people who share this on is astounding , Instagram is ok as it's just photos but in general social media is to be avoided at all costs unless to check with family and friends well being.

I remember a time before social media and with social media, and i would choose not to have social media any day, just my 2 cents anyway.

Fake news can easily be avoided on social media. I know I rarely see it but some people just stick themselves in the middle of it and then moan about it.
    They’ve always being fake news and gullible people out there who’d believe anything they are told apart from the facts.
    Social media is allowing families and friends to stay in contact during these times, during the down turn people were able to stay in contact with relatives abroad which would not have being possible before.
    Give it to me any day. Just don’t be a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

So, one economic positive for Ireland for this. According to OECD, Ireland will be the least affected by Covid-19 economically.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/oecd-report-says-impact-of-covid-19-in-the-west-will-be-least-severe-in-ireland-991011.html

Our Pharma industry will keep us afloat. About 30% of our exports are pharama.
    http://www.worldstopexports.com/irelands-top-10-exports/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There is a lack of people in senior public service positions with scientific or technical expertise, business or other degrees being favoured since the 1970's. Hopefully this may lead to these being promoted in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the fuel efficiency of my car has increased from 14.9 litres/100km to 12.7 litres/100km as a result of the traffic difference. Massive change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Drink driving and RTAs must be at an all time low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Coke sales down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Snow days where schools close will be able continue with lessons on Google Classroom, Zoom app etc as the vast majority if not them all have it set up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Snow days where schools close will be able continue with lessons on Google Classroom, Zoom app etc as the vast majority if not them all have it set up now.

Also, employers should be much more open to the idea of Working From Home now more regularly now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Coke sales down

I started buying Pepsi myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Generally, hoping employers will be more open to the idea of working from home in the future which should improve work/life balance, and reduce traffic and pollution.

Personally, thought about the following positives earlier:

Get to spend time with the dog while working from home. She is great company during the working day and we get to walk together at lunch time. Saving 300 quid a month on pet sitter.

Spending less money on fuel to get to work, and on unnecessary things like meals out and new clothes.

Being pregnant, I've been on a personal lockdown for 7 months in terms of not drinking or going out - and it feels like the world is now in solidarity with me :D

Extra hour in bed each morning because there is no commute to the office.

We are saving for a house, so if prices come down we might actually be able to buy one.

General peace and quiet is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

This might kickstart the Slaintecare into actually working. No more waiting three years for an operation!

Am getting more exercise. Trampolines really burn calories, especially with a five year old on your back.

Love learning the piano. So much easier to use than a guitar.

Slower pace of life.

I miss work though, was enjoying carving wood sculptures, it's a great way of expressing yourself through art.

• Advertisement

Fake news can easily be avoided on social media. I know I rarely see it but some people just stick themselves in the middle of it and then moan about it.
    They’ve always being fake news and gullible people out there who’d believe anything they are told apart from the facts.
    Social media is allowing families and friends to stay in contact during these times, during the down turn people were able to stay in contact with relatives abroad which would not have being possible before.
    Give it to me any day. Just don’t be a fool.

anytime i log onto Facebook and Twitter all im seeing is complete and utter rubbish so im not sure how it can be avoided,its fake news central on those platforms, Instagram is grand as you dont get it on there but as a former long term Facebook user ive seen it going from a great resource to an absolute cesspit of utter garbage.

If people really wanted to contact you they can do it numerous ways like whats app,text, or shock horror pick up the actual phone and talk like we used to do before everyone's lifes became obsessed with social media.

you're welcome to it mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

This might kickstart the Slaintecare into actually working. No more waiting three years for an operation!

Am getting more exercise. Trampolines really burn calories, especially with a five year old on your back.

Love learning the piano. So much easier to use than a guitar.

Slower pace of life.

I miss work though, was enjoying carving wood sculptures, it's a great way of expressing yourself through art.

:eek::D

anytime i log onto Facebook and Twitter all im seeing is complete and utter rubbish so im not sure how it can be avoided,its fake news central on those platforms, Instagram is grand as you dont get it on there but as a former long term Facebook user ive seen it going from a great resource to an absolute cesspit of utter garbage.

If people really wanted to contact you they can do it numerous ways like whats app,text, or shock horror pick up the actual phone and talk like we used to do before everyone's lifes became obsessed with social media.

you're welcome to it mate.

just to allude to this point i just logged onto Facebook and within less than 5 minutes ive seen 4 people post up complete and utter garbage relating to this pandemic, one shared something about their been a lockdown for another 6 weeks and lots of people saying "omg no way" people actually believe this tripe without ever thinking to check what source it came from, another posted suggested that pubs will definitely open just after Easter Sunday, again complete and utter nonsense , but people are so gullible and stupid on social media they almost believe everything that is posted,a tragic state of affairs how society has become, it has dumbed down people who spent a large percentage of their life on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

listening to bird song a lot more, turning hippy

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I am essential and the hubby isnt. No child rearing or homeschooling for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Abba987 wrote: »

Aren't you great.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    listening to bird song a lot more, turning hippy

I think there will be a lot more birds around at the end of the summer. There will be a lot less young birds killed by cars anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Abba987 wrote: »

i'm essential also, but now that i'm old i've finally realised it means i'm a donkey...

i keep thinking of the scene in blazing saddles when the hand cart sinks into the quick sand, and someone suggests they get some horses to pull it out, and Slim pickins shouts "don't waste no horses send in a couple of "essential staff"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »

ha :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

just to allude to this point i just logged onto Facebook and within less than 5 minutes ive seen 4 people post up complete and utter garbage relating to this pandemic, one shared something about their been a lockdown for another 6 weeks and lots of people saying "omg no way" people actually believe this tripe without ever thinking to check what source it came from, another posted suggested that pubs will definitely open just after Easter Sunday, again complete and utter nonsense , but people are so gullible and stupid on social media they almost believe everything that is posted,a tragic state of affairs how society has become, it has dumbed down people who spent a large percentage of their life on social media.

I would have to agree, i have been following the Pandemic since day 1 of it being announced in China (wife is in the medical field). I never had facebook but subscribed to twitter to try and get updates, i was taken aback with the amount of crazy crap on it, a lot of it was as if people were wishing the virus would wipe out the world and then an awful lot was propaganda to try and take down the communist party, which i would like ot see happen but lots of over the top sensationalist material. Really made me ponder humanity in general. Some good information too but the sensationalist content far outweighed it

Bad for ones health and particularly bad for the younger persons mental health

• Advertisement
Advertisement