Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The lovely weather, because of drop in air pollution perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Less road deaths with most people off the road. Could be negated by those speeding due to empty roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The Fresh Air.
    It's actually noticeable.

How you noticed how much of it is around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The upcoming drop in cost of car insurance and tax because of less claims and road usage due to Corona.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

blade1 wrote: »
    The upcoming drop in cost of car insurance and tax because of less claims and road usage due to Corona.:pac:

Haha we wish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I would love if phone use in pubs and restaurants were banned or at the very least scorned for using them.

Nothing worse than seen a couple or even two couples sitting out to eat somewhere and all of them on their phones.

Hopefully people will have a bigger appreciation for the social aspect of life and start investing in it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’d be hoping that people would stop being as judgmental about things that doesn’t effect them when out and about and just got on with there own lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bullied school kids: I'm sure a lot of them are giving one big sigh of relief not having to face their tormentors everyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Coke sales down

don't know what lads you know but people are taking everything they can get their hands on to get through.

All those "you should have kids" people have shut their traps and yearn for the child free existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

don't know what lads you know but people are taking everything they can get their hands on to get through.
    All those "you should have kids" people have shut their traps and yearn for the child free existence.

Considering the first post, even after this is over, I think we will all forgive you if you go ahead and stay childless.

Considering the first post, even after this is over, I think we will all forgive you if you go ahead and stay childless.

I am not one of those people... I just know people in the trade and the 350 a week + time at home has been boom time for that industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm happy because my mam and dad are in lockdown in Spain for a few weeks now, they're gonna ride it out down there but my Ma just whatsapped me saying they're on the 4th series of Breaking Bad and have I ever seen it. They're both nearly 70, last thing I thought they'd watch, but I'm kind of jealous with all this time indoors I'd love to have never seen it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes I have to say I've never been happier to live alone :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

I am not one of those people... I just know people in the trade and the 350 a week + time at home has been boom time for that industry.

Do you ever ever ever stop complaining about those people?

You really really hate the socially and economically disadvantaged. We get it.

Der takin mai taxes!!! Waaaaaahhh

It’s boring Eric. Find another schtick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The weather has been fabulous over the past week or so. We have nearly forgotten about the dreadfully wet February and all the flooding.
    And sunset is now after 8pm. So much extra light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Less fuel costs as people aren't commuting as much also less pollution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

To turn back to God and make yourself right, giving the increasing atheist society we now live in that's controlled by the mass produced mainstream media.

If we don't turn back to god will he send a plague of locusts next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Maybe we will get a law making it enforceable for everyone that kids have to be fully vaccinated before attending school or childcare.

• Advertisement

Just on that.
    I don’t know about your circles but the few rabid anti vaxxers I know have gone stone dead silent the last month or so.

Which is a blessing all on it own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

They're too busy talking about 5g

IvoryTower wrote: »
    They're too busy talking about 5g

I’ve made that comment my FB.

To anyone trying to link this virus to 5G cos it causes brain cancer, I think your brain is safe enough.

Still waiting on the brain cancer from 3G and the mutant limbs we’d get from 4g

Absolute gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Stretch1432

It's all doom and gloom on the main thread but what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

- People will eat healthier, drink less and sleep more in order to build up their immune system

Sales of alcohol have surged . Its as busy as Christmas. Ppl are certainly not drinking less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Could head lice die out? No kids passing it round at school any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

tscul32 wrote: »

Depends if the parents treat the kids hair that have them, if not they'll still be there when they go back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

fryup wrote: »
    Bullied school kids: I'm sure a lot of them are giving one big sigh of relief not having to face their tormentors everyday

Received a mail advising parents to vet what kids are writing on their padlet walls."hurtful posts" was the term used:-( Don't know what the offending posts were but my first thought was some thing like this.

Positive-Since this outbreak the birds in my garden have never seen an empty feeder, I always have time to fill it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

tscul32 wrote: »

Have been battling lice intermittently since September, with it bouncing around between the schoolkids and the child in the childminders.

Finally free!!!

Positive-Since this outbreak the birds in my garden have never seen an empty feeder, I always have time to fill it.

I am the same but I wonder is it time to stop? With Spring here food should be more plentiful and the birds should be learning to eat flies and worms rather than peanuts and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Would it be a good idea if Ireland up their purchase of crude oil considering the price of a barrel now?

Huge upside to this will be the end of Fine Gael and hopefully fianna failure when this is all over and the mishandling of it all comes to light.

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea if Ireland up their purchase of crude oil considering the price of a barrel now?

There are very few cars on the road and we are heading into the summer. Do we more than the usual stocks and do we have capacity to 'stockpile'?
    I am sure oil is purchased in advance like other commodities.

I think a lot of people will have cleaner houses and well kept gardens at the end of all this.
    Many families are also learning how to grow food for the first time which can only be a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Runaways wrote: »
    Huge upside to this will be the end of Fine Gael and hopefully fianna failure when this is all over and the mishandling of it all comes to light.

What a pathetic post.

Yeah its great we had a pandemic so we can see a government mishandle it and people unnecessarily suffer.

A pathetic agenda driven post.

fryup wrote: »
    listening to bird song a lot more, turning hippy
    Nothing hippy about it. People have been enjoying birdsong for thousands of years and the hippys have only been around about 50 years.

I'm starting to notice and appreciate nature a lot more lately too just like you Fryup. Maybe because we are slowing down our pace of life and not running around like headless chickens.

I know a couple of people who have quit smoking because of c19 which is all to the good.

I think future generations will look back on us in 1000 years time at people smoking and wonder what the hell was wrong with us. Putting things in our mouths and setting them on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You mean the handling thats been praised by all parties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There are very few cars on the road and we are heading into the summer. Do we more than the usual stocks and do we have capacity to 'stockpile'?
    I am sure oil is purchased in advance like other commodities.

I think we have the potential to store 3 months worth of crude oil.

What a pathetic post.

Yeah its great we had a pandemic so we can see a government mishandle it and people unnecessarily suffer.

Glad to know the finegael fanbots are covering all the bases on boards.

People are unnecessarily suffering and dying And yes it’s fine Gael’s fault

At least you can admit that much you clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can I point you to a post I made a couple of days ago?
    Ireland is, per capita, one of the most highly educated countries in the world.
    Proportionally speaking, we also rate highly in access to healthcare and accommodation even though both of these areas have significant room for improvement.
    We recovered faster than most countries after the financial crash of 08 and are projected to be one of the more secure economies by the OECD in terms of resilience to the impact of Covid-19.

And before you say that I am just another FF/FG shill or capitalist pig, I am aligned with neither and spend a good portion of my time here advocating for real significant action on practices relating to the climate and also defending myself from accusations of being some sort of liberal or SJW on various other topics.

We have massive room for improvement, but, we need to find a way to work at this without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Can I also add to that that Ireland is ranked second in the world in terms of food security (ability to produce sufficiently for its own population).

What do you think should have been handled differently around this crisis?
    Who do you think would have done a better job?

Posts like yours along with the efforts of Ewan Mackenna, Paddy Cosgrave and a few others are, if anything, making me move towards FF/FG rather than away from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

What a pathetic post.

Best to put that lad on ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

It's been a lesson for the whole world in how to cope with a pandemic (or how not to cope). But for sure, should something more sinister ever return we'll be much more prepared in our approach as a global society.

This took the planet by surprise, next time we'll be ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Glad to know the finegael fanbots are covering all the bases on boards.

People are unnecessarily suffering and dying And yes it’s fine Gael’s fault

Regardless of party politics, I'm glad a DOCTOR is running the country at the moment.
    We've actually put the likes of the UK and America to shame by reacting quicker and shutting down schools, then locking down the country.

People are dying due to the virus not due to the state.

From your attitude can I assume you're a shinner bot ?
    Love to see where you think the promised 100,000 houses will come from now.

Can I point you to a post I made a couple of days ago?

Can I also add to that that Ireland is ranked second in the world in terms of food security (ability to produce sufficiently for its own population).

What do you think should have been handled differently around this crisis?
    Who do you think would have done a better job?

Posts like yours along with the efforts of Ewan Mackenna, Paddy Cosgrave and a few others are, if anything, making me move towards FF/FG rather than away from them.

Go for it.
    Food security doesn’t mean anything. Just because the ability to self sustain is there doesn’t mean prices won’t be extortionate and unchecked should it come to that. The farmers always get what they want and I’ve yet to see an Irish government that didn’t capitulate to them.
    Cosgrave Though? That a bit harsh. Has anyone ever climbed out on a limb alone and took a saw to the branch he’s sitting on so vigorously? I’m not even sure who he is even now but holy **** what an idiotic thing to do. I don’t know who McKenna is sorry.

The farmers always get what they want and I’ve yet to see an Irish government that didn’t capitulate to them.

You obviously weren't following all the beef farmers protesting a few months ago?

A doctor isn’t running the country. He was GP for a year.

Your IQ is just shining through with every post.
    Once you are a qualified doctor it can't be undone.

And I see you ignored the post about the beef farmers.

... You undo you or flimsy care and concern for the dying...

You don't care about the dead or dying, you're attacking the leadership.
    Choosing destructive criticism over anything constructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The Robert Koch Institute for disease control has announced that Germany’s measures are “working” at curbing the outbreak. The rate of new cases in Spain has also been slowing – its daily increase is now less than eight per cent and there has been almost no change in the number of patients in intensive care, according to the health minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

A doctor isn’t running the country. He was GP for a year. Couldn’t stick it cos regular people disgust him so he go into politics. To his credit he hasn’t come out at any point and made out like he’s a GP and has expertise in this field. He’s not that stupid at least.

Tony holohan didn’t restrict nursing homes.

One home in particular has 100 residents and 200 staff.
    70 of the staff have tested positive.
    4 of the residents have died so far as a direct result.
    The home in question, STILL doesn’t have any PPE

Sorry to tell you but yes this government is screwing this up all over the place and more and more of this will emerge.

Fvck off with your shinnerbot f that’s the best you can do and You undo you or flimsy care and concern for the dying with such a dimwit pathetic attempt at slur and frankly idiotic attempt to bring housing of all things into it
    most people think fg are doing a good job, but it will take another 2 or 3 weeks to know for sure, true they are making a few mistakes but not as many or as big as some countries.
    It is just plain stupid to think fg are making a mess of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The Robert Koch Institute for disease control has announced that Germany’s measures are “working” at curbing the outbreak. The rate of new cases in Spain has also been slowing – its daily increase is now less than eight per cent and there has been almost no change in the number of patients in intensive care, according to the health minister.

Too late. Their crown is in the ditch. Swedes are the new economic kings of Europe.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

A doctor isn’t running the country. He was GP for a year. Couldn’t stick it cos regular people disgust him so he go into politics. To his credit he hasn’t come out at any point and made out like he’s a GP and has expertise in this field. He’s not that stupid at least.

Tony holohan didn’t restrict nursing homes.

One home in particular has 100 residents and 200 staff.
    70 of the staff have tested positive.
    4 of the residents have died so far as a direct result.
    The home in question, STILL doesn’t have any PPE

Sorry to tell you but yes this government is screwing this up all over the place and more and more of this will emerge.

Fvck off with your shinnerbot f that’s the best you can do and You undo you or flimsy care and concern for the dying with such a dimwit pathetic attempt at slur and frankly idiotic attempt to bring housing of all things into it

You literally called someone a fine gale bot in your previous post...!!!!

That's the trouble with stupid people, they don't realise they are stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Some people will have really clean arses from all the bogroll they're buying.

Personally I'm saving a fortune by not going to the pub everyday. 3 pints after work in the evening costs nearly 20 quid. If the girlfriend meets me and has a G&T and crisps we're up to nearly 30 quid. If we decide we're too chilled after the drinks to cook then it's takeaway sushi....another 30 quid. Bang 60 bills spunked in an hour.

I do miss draught lager though I must say. A can of beer is no substitute for an ice cold perfectly pulled pilsner in a nice tavern.

I don't really see too many positives coming out of it to be fair. Governments and businesses exploit crises for their own ends and this pandemic will be no exception. We saw this in the aftermath of 9/11. All these bullsh1t restrictions were introduced to "keep us safe". Keep us safe from what exactly? Phone tapping, mass surveillance, a ridiculous boondoggle called the TSA set up at airports paying their monkeys $12 per hour but charging the taxpayer $50 per hour. Useless body scanners making millions fore the manufacturer. etc, etc. This pandemic will see similar inane restrictions that will be put into effect and will be kept in place even if the covid-19 virus is made extinct.

Advertisement