Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

You obviously don't understand how capitalism works.
    The state doesn't pay the farmers typically, they have to sell their produce to meat processors. The EU gives subsidies.

What's your definition of a normal real person in the country?
    It's all relative.

I have contempt and disdain for people using forums to lash out at the very people (government) trying to help them. Not helping anyone and a sign of very poor emotional control that's very likely reflected in your life.

I can definitely assure you that I contribute more to society and the taxman than you and I'm still working right now at home.
    You should be thanking the "real" people of Ireland who are still working and will likely be absolutely fleeced in more taxes in the next budget to bail out the rest of the country.

I’m not even responding to your bull****. Ask you one question.
    Our hospitals were in crisis the last 9 year and your beloved government did sweet fanny Adams To even address it. This crisis hasn’t even really hit here yet.

Serious and deadly serious questions need to be answered in the aftermath. And there will be absolutely nowhere for either Fine Gael or fianna failure to hide.

They’re done for when this is over.

Upshot is we might actually get serious reform and build a functional effective health service for all.

Have a good day

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Runaways wrote: »
    I’m not even responding to your bull****.

Then responds....

Runaways wrote: »
    Ask you one question.
    Our hospitals were in crisis the last 9 year and your beloved government did sweet fanny Adams To even address it. This crisis hasn’t even really hit here yet.

Serious and deadly serious questions need to be answered in the aftermath. And there will be absolutely nowhere for either Fine Gael or fianna failure to hide.

They’re done for when this is over.

Upshot is we might actually get serious reform and build a functional effective health service for all.

Have a good day

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Politics forum is thataway
    >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Politics forum is thataway
    >

I hope they walk straight past it to the Conspiracy Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd say that many people are so fed up at home are taking the 2km exercise seriously every day so may be fitter. Less booze, rich restaurant food early nights etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

saabsaab wrote: »
    I'd say that many people are so fed up at home are taking the 2km exercise seriously every day so may be fitter. Less booze, rich restaurant food early nights etc.
    I'd reckon those folks were already exercise people anyway and now the gyms are closed they've taken up jogging for their "fix" as it were. Still, one upshot is the sight of some very attractive ladies in lycra in my travels, so there's that. And the lack of traffic for those who are still on the roads for essential services reasons. It's like Good Friday in the 70's out there. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd reckon those folks were already exercise people anyway and now the gyms are closed they've taken up jogging for their "fix" as it were. Still, one upshot is the sight of some very attractive ladies in lycra in my travels, so there's that. And the lack of traffic for those who are still on the roads for essential services reasons. It's like Good Friday in the 70's out there. :D

Great, I love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My stress levels have dropped , even though if there were other reasons for the stuff cancelled that affects my family I'd be livid

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Wibbs wrote: »
    . Still, one upshot is the sight of some very attractive ladies in lycra in my travels, so there's that.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSey6ywW01bLRSznDwXFQAxhpc2DtXWfkXy8PNqBOWxSwGbHq_K&usqp=CAU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

All those doing hairs nails etc as cash putting nothing back in are entitled to nothing now.

Everyone has to pay their fair share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Can we please keep politics and religion out of this thread??

Indeed but some simply can't keep to the topic of the thread and its up to the mods to keep control now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I'm reading and writing more, meditating, doing my gratitude lists, taking better care of my skin and hair.

My iphone tells me I'm walking more this month than last month.

I'm keeping in touch with my parents and friends more. I've started calling a couple of people every day instead of texting and that's been nice. Zoom calls with friends abroad started during this time will probably continue beyond the crisis.

My apartment is cleaner than it normally is.

I took yesterday off both Boards and all social media and I found it very helpful to my mood. A break every now and then is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

We've gotten to try some restaurants that we had wanted to try for ages, they are now doing takeaway which means we get to try without having to get in babysitter etc. While one of us puts kid to bed, other goes and collects pre-ordered "restaurant" food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The weather continues to be excellent during the lockdown.

Imagine if we were at the start of February with all those storms and heavy rain to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

The weather continues to be excellent during the lockdown.

Imagine if we were at the start of February with all those storms and heavy rain to look forward to.

I actually think that makes it a lot more difficult as the temptation is there to go somewhere.

I don't mind staying indoors in miserable weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I haven't got all dolled up in ages. I love being a scruff.

I haven't got all dolled up in ages. I love being a scruff.

I really hope the ladies realize that they looked like something out of It or Cirque du Soleil for the last few years and sort that sh1t out..

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I actually think that makes it a lot more difficult as the temptation is there to go somewhere.

I don't mind staying indoors in miserable weather.

Are you not getting out for walks etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I could not find an appropriate thread to put this in, so here will have to do, but I find this hilarious.

https://news.sky.com/video/ukrainian-police-detain-beach-goer-for-violating-quarantine-11969534

I don't think they sent enough police to apprehend him lol

Are you not getting out for walks etc?

Yes, within 2km of my house which makes it quite boring but I don't mind that. It's just the lack pf human physical touch that's difficult.

Still, if it keeps us all safe that's the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I think a positive is a lot less interest in what 'celebs' are at, influencers and the like, because they're doing f*&k all like the rest of us, thank goodness for the news finally highlighting something of interest rather than what lip gloss so-and-so has been gifted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

maxsmum wrote:
    I think a positive is a lot less interest in what 'celebs' are at, influencers and the like, because they're doing f*&k all like the rest of us, thank goodness for the news finally highlighting something of interest rather than what lip gloss so-and-so has been gifted

Don't worry, as soon as this is all over they'll be back.

"Oh I was so depressed during the lockdown, I thought about taking my own life"

Cue the "you're so brave replies".

They will have so much lost time to make up in terms of attention seeking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I don’t know when I last bought petrol for my car. Only moving it once a week to go to the supermarket about 10 miles each way.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

and the ironic thing is that its at its cheapest in years :cool:

maxsmum wrote: »

Celebs in the UK did a video 'thanking the NHS'. Where every celeb (dozens of them) held a piece of paper that read 'thanks NHS', where they also vocally said "Thank you" in as a sincere a way they possible could. It was utterly nauseating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

AllForIt wrote: »
    Celebs in the UK did a video 'thanking the NHS'. Where every celeb (dozens of them) held a piece of paper that read 'thanks NHS', where they also vocally said "Thank you" in as a sincere a way they possible could. It was utterly nauseating.

The whole thanking health care workers is strange, it is their job, that is what they signed up for, what are they going to do? quit their jobs because there is a pandemic? if there were riots every day would the police all quit as well or would they expect a round of applause and celebs making cringy videos thanking them?

I think there must be a lot more small birds around this Spring. I imagine there are much fewer getting killed by cars as they go around building nests etc. Nature is getting a chance to breathe.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I don’t know when I last bought petrol for my car. Only moving it once a week to go to the supermarket about 10 miles each way.

Still paying full tax and insurance for it I'm sure.

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

and the ironic thing is that its at its cheapest in years :cool:

Yep. Supply and demand in action. You might be interested in the poll on cat tax.

Should read car tax, don't want to give anyone ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

saabsaab wrote: »
    Still paying full tax and insurance for it I'm sure.

Why the heck wouldn't one? You need to be insured full stop. Even with tax it's not a pick and choose option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I think there must be a lot more small birds around this Spring. I imagine there are much fewer getting killed by cars as they go around building nests etc. Nature is getting a chance to breathe.

This a correct positive, admittedly something I did not take into consideration when the pandemic started.

Even in Dublin City there have been more sightings of Foxes etc wandering in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm getting more done in "teh" back garden in two weeks then I'd have done in two years! Obviously I'm going to run out of things at this rate.

Why the heck wouldn't one? You need to be insured full stop. Even with tax it's not a pick and choose option.

Well if you want you can declare it off the road. Not much point if you are not using it or very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

My dishwasher is sick off me

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Then make sure you remember to take her out for dinner and buy her something nice when all of these restrictions end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

maxsmum wrote: »

Yeah there have been a few milk and water attempts by some to shimmy their way back into the limelight - off the top of my head - Ronan Keating spawned another child, yer one (Duffy?) drip feeding more "clues" about her ordeal and Linda Martin mentioning she "might have had the virus a month ago". :pac:

Dr. Bre wrote: »

wash up at the sink, another chore that will help to keep you active

God that's a good one, also a lot less roadkill around. I live rurally now and usually have to close my eyes a few times a day at cats, foxes and rabbits dead on the road.

Just realised there's far less now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... a lot less roadkill around. ...
    Depends who nature is. The poor jackdaws and rats won't get any €350 per week to lockdown.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

God that's a good one, also a lot less roadkill around. I live rurally now and usually have to close my eyes a few times a day at cats, foxes and rabbits dead on the road.

Just realised there's far less now. :)

You may be consequently causing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

topper75 wrote: »
    Depends who nature is. The poor jackdaws and rats won't get any €350 per week to lockdown.

Aye, but the seagulls are cleaning up. Clever ****ers.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The whole thanking health care workers is strange, it is their job, that is what they signed up for, what are they going to do? quit their jobs because there is a pandemic? if there were riots every day would the police all quit as well or would they expect a round of applause and celebs making cringy videos thanking them?

Nothing wrong with publicly acknowledging the work of the NHS personal, but taking it cringe level is just that, cringe.

There was a video on Twitter the other day of a health worker in tears saying she quite her job for lack of PPE. Like you say pgl, this is what they signed up for and to quit for not being 100% protected seems to go against the noble reason we are told ppl go into healthcare. Imagine if the firefighters who looked for bodies in Ground Zero said hey I'm not doing that, it's too dangerous. And of course many did die.

crime rate is down

Nothing wrong with publicly acknowledging the work of the NHS personal, but taking it cringe level is just that, cringe.

There was a video on Twitter the other day of a health worker in tears saying she quite her job for lack of PPE. Like you say pgl, this is what they signed up for and to quit for not being 100% protected seems to go against the noble reason we are told ppl go into healthcare. Imagine if the firefighters who looked for bodies in Ground Zero said hey I'm not doing that, it's too dangerous. And of course many did die.

A lot of what I'd like to say in this post, I've just said in my mind.

Nurses signed up to a role in which they expected they would have the tools to do their job.

How do you think firefighters would feel if there were no helmets and fireproof clothing available for them.

A lot of what I'd like to say in this post, I've just said in my mind.

Nurses signed up to a role in which they expected they would have the tools to do their job.

How do you think firefighters would feel if there were no helmets and fireproof clothing available for them.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me.

I would expect firefighters and health care workers to do what they signed up no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Definitely
    Have been out digging the garden the last few weeks and I've seen so many
    Lovely bird song in the morning too

And now the house martins have arrived, followed soon by swallows

I would expect firefighters and health care workers to do what they signed up no matter what.

Ok, so, they have no helmets or protective clothing, but they still run towards something which will put them at a vastly increased risk because of this fact.
    Would you commend them for this, or shrug your shoulders and say that's their job?

Would you expect an electrician to work on live conductors without insulated tools because that's the job he signed up for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I wouldn't. I wouldn't expect "no matter what" to apply to any job. A job is just a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

suppose all the quizzes that are been run online during this time on social media

Some are only real for fun and dont have answer sheets/apps but i have played ones which use Google Forms and Kahoot

https://www.goosesquizzes.com/

this is the one i play often and is pretty good and pretty challenging

Ok, so, they have no helmets or protective clothing, but they still run towards something which will put them at a vastly increased risk because of this fact.
    Would you commend them for this, or shrug your shoulders and say that's their job?

Would you expect an electrician to work on live conductors without insulated tools because that's the job he signed up for?

You made a terrible analogy there. Electricians don't sign up to be an electrician to save lives.

I think you are deliberately missing my earlier point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement