Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If the Patrick's Day parades etc had gone on as normal it would have been a total washout.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Firefork

Influencers and Instagram bloggers
    Will Have to get a real job
    Because nobody is stupid enough to pay them to advertise junk you can’t buy anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Firefork wrote: »
    Because nobody is stupid enough to pay them to advertise junk you can’t buy anyway

Loads of them are just getting their kit off and selling subscriptions to creepy old men instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This will definitively reveal what jobs are nonsense and have no real value function internally in an organisation or for society at large. *I'm looking at you HR and marketing*

People like teachers, childcare workers, nurses and retail workers might get a bit more respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Firefork wrote: »

What real job? People that had real jobs don't have them now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Yurt! wrote: »
    This will definitively reveal what jobs are nonsense and have no real value function internally in an organisation or for society at large. *I'm looking at you HR and marketing*

People like teachers, childcare workers, nurses and retail workers might get a bit more respect.

I have no time for HR but to say marketing isnt a real job, its the reason the huge companies are huge, nike, adidas, red bull etc come on. :pac:

sorry to go off topic but I had to say something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

And logistics. A key area in keeping pharma food economy ticking.

How? In what way?

I doubt the range of perceptions of such positions will change. (since people tend to look at each one slightly differently anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This is a graph that proves social distancing works.
    It worked back in 1918, and it will work 102 years later if we all abide by social distancing norms. The graph shows what happened when St. Louis introduced social distancing as a result of the Spanish Flu outbreak, but Philadelphia did not. The graph should give us all hope:

df26ee36f79f85f57ad0137d3bf12c52

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Kivaro wrote: »
    This is a graph that proves social distancing works.
    It worked back in 1918, and it will work 102 years later if we all abide by social distancing norms. The graph shows what happened when St. Louis introduced social distancing as a result of the Spanish Flu outbreak, but Philadelphia did not. The graph should give us all hope:

df26ee36f79f85f57ad0137d3bf12c52

It does work as the virus has no where to go. But we have to adhere to it for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

My bins were way lighter this week when I took them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

A positive is people saving money providing they don’t lose their job. No money to spend on holidays or in pubs/ restaurants and shops. No sport for people to go to or gamble on. Kids cost a fortune but if nothing to take them to then that’s saving money . Overall Hopefully people will get a better handle on dealing with money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    A positive is people saving money providing they don’t lose their job. No money to spend on holidays or in pubs/ restaurants and shops. No sport for people to go to or gamble on. Kids cost a fortune but if nothing to take them to then that’s saving money . Overall Hopefully people will get a better handle on dealing with money

If we don't spend though the economy doesn't grow, hoarding money helps no one in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The SJW - WOKE agenda is very likely to be completely suspended, people don't have time to indulge the concept of multiple genders or gender pronouns etc during times of real crisis

America's weekly mass-shootings have been cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

America's weekly mass-shootings have been cancelled.

Wait until Marshall law is brought in

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The SJW agenda is very likely to be completely suspended, people don't have time to indulge the concept of multiple genders etc during times of real crisis

Completely silenced, likewise the vegan agenda has closed down. Eat whatever and shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Completely silenced, likewise the vegan agenda has closed down. Eat whatever and shut up.

And adding to the positive, I am reducing the size of my meals, and reducing the amount of fish/meat in these meals.
    After a few days of doing this, my gluttonous past is a distant memory.
    And I feel a lot healthier for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

And farmers who product the food that keeps us alive,treated like a third class profession for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

GM228 wrote: »
    Biggest (and realistically only) positive of all this thus far is the drop in oil prices.

In the short term maybe. Forty years ago I travelled around southern Netherlands, northern Belgium and Aachen in Germany. In all those places at the time the smell of petrol fumes in the air was sickening. Pardon the cliché, but we need to get away from oil, for several reasons, political, healthwise, limited resource, but above all for the survival of the planet.

• Advertisement

The stars have been really bright this last few nights. Has anyone else noticed this? Look up tonight and you can see them beautifully bright and clear, could this be because of the lack of air pollution?

Kivaro wrote: »
    And adding to the positive, I am reducing the size of my meals, and reducing the amount of fish/meat in these meals.
    After a few days of doing this, my gluttonous past is a distant memory.
    And I feel a lot healthier for it.

Thanks. I'm not the faintest bit interested in what you eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

No more (my most hated) question at the hairdressers: "Going somewhere nice for your holidays this year?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Not being vegan has very likely resulted in this pandemic.

A positive of it; The pandemic is opening more people's eyes to the hypocrisy of condemning China's diet consisting of most animals while they themselves are paying for the gratuitous slaughter of cows, chickens etc. in the West. People at home watching Netflix are likely to end up in the pro-plant based documentaries section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

And farmers who product the food that keeps us alive,treated like a third class profession for too long.

Doubt it, the Cap budget will need to shrink, gargantuan budget required to deal with the fallout of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Saw on the news less fishing happening . A respite needed for the over fishing that’s been going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Changed my perspective on things, bringing important things into sharp focus.

(Possibly has) Brought more people to Jesus Christ (...yes, I know people hate hearing that - I'm saying it anyway)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

growleaves wrote: »
    Changed my perspective on things, bringing important things into sharp focus.

(Possibly has) Brought more people to Jesus Christ (...yes, I know people hate hearing that - I'm saying it anyway)

You can read this in 2 ways you know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

One of the bigger positives is that now that I have to work from home, I don't go out for lunch every day. So eating lunch at home which is a lot healthier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I've saved sooo much money not getting coffee everyday !

My whole family now watch a movie together every night which is nice. We havnt really done it in a while, usually just on Christmas or a special occassion. We the kids are 24, 21 and 18 yo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

No GAA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

fryup wrote: »

Saturday radio free of English soccer updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

fryup wrote: »

both of these, the proliferation of stupid sports has decreased to a lovely level. I hope the pubs open before the sport starts back so I can get a few days away from screaming jersey clad morons while enjoying a pint. Be it bog ball or British. I don't have an issue with sports, they're important, but the behaviour of GAA and British soccer fans is just downright rude at the best of times and disgustingly animalistic at the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Anyone reckon coronavirus will reset this social media driven / fake news laden information age we now live in. Will emperors like Trump and Boris finally be seen by the masses to have no clothes? Could we soon begin a new age of integrity and decency?

Nah, me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

how is this positive lol

i miss PL and all that jazz..

btw positive is defo saving on petrol going to work and back..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Firefork

My mate has shut up about chemtrails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

no news but just want to say this is the best thread on boards at the moment. fair play to the op for starting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lavinia wrote: »
    how is this positive lol

i miss PL and all that jazz..

btw positive is defo saving on petrol going to work and back..

That poster must be a Man U fan.
    I know if I was I'd hate getting updates on the radio too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Loads of positives for me, less traffic on the road so I'm home a hour earlier every day now. My wife is working from Home so more time together plus my dinner is ready every day unlike before when I done all that stuff.

We can ditch the second car as she can do the School run when they return as the working from Home is such a success her boss wants it to continue!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The stars have been really bright this last few nights. Has anyone else noticed this? Look up tonight and you can see them beautifully bright and clear, could this be because of the lack of air pollution?

Northern airflow which is always cleaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Truckermal wrote: »
    Loads of positives for me, less traffic on the road so I'm home a hour earlier every day now. My wife is working from Home so more time together plus my dinner is ready every day unlike before when I done all that stuff.

We can ditch the second car as she can do the School run when they return as the working from Home is such a success her boss wants it to continue!

I'd love to read your wife's thoughts on this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm spending a lot less money since I'm working from home.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Less chance of dying in a traffic accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I noticed shops are packaging there bakery products.
    I hope it continues. I hate stuff being out on display for everybody to touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Wesser wrote: »
    You list these things as though they are facts.

Probably everything will go back to normal afterwards.

Fixed that for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

There are more properties available for rent - Airbnb type places have no demand anymore so landlords are putting them on the market for private rentals
    https://www.thejournal.ie/rental-properties-coronavirus-5052953-Mar2020/

HSE gone into overdrive, a renewed appreciation for our healthcare workers and everybody at maximum efficiency, large numbers of people volunteering to help the cause

Covid19 has done more to sort health and housing than any political party #VoteC19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

One of the positives, if we get out of this without too much damage, is that we will be more prepared for the next one, all of a sudden Elon Musk doesn’t look eccentric for wanting to extend the human race to other planets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Monaghan will be the top hot spot of ROI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

You can read this in 2 ways you know ;)

I LOL'd

Hopefully we will see a big push both in China and globally to improve the standards in which farmed animals are kept and a complete and permanent ban on the disgusting wet markets unless we improve our animal farming standards. It's only a matter of time before we have another pandemic caused by a virus jumping between species.

• Advertisement
Advertisement