Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd say less nose picking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The stars have been really bright this last few nights. Has anyone else noticed this? Look up tonight and you can see them beautifully bright and clear, could this be because of the lack of air pollution?

beautiful sunset tonight

There is some good coming out of this crisis in that now there are slightly more rental properties available due to the downturn in tourism and landlords are no longer able to rent out places on a short-term basis using Airbnb.

Rise of 64pc in rental properties across Dublin in midst of coronavirus crisis - Daft report

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/rise-of-64pc-in-rental-properties-across-dublin-in-midst-of-coronavirus-crisis-daft-report-39061809.html

GBX wrote: »
    If there's one good thing coming out of the Coronavirus, its getting so many emails from companies who have my email that I haven't heard from ever. Likelihood being I gladly handed it over in the hope of winning something from them or their associates. Alas I didnt.

Unsubscribe me!!

:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Big queue down at the blood donation centre where I live today, the staff were flat out dealing with the constant stream of people wanting to donate :) literally out the door thanks to the distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Distilleries across the country diversifying into producing hand sanitiser given current high demand. Given pubs closed and demand for drink plummeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

History Ireland have giving free access to their archive, nearly 30 years worth. They also have lots of fantastic podcasts.
    https://www.historyireland.com/archive/

Cambridge University Press have also opened their library, free to anyone till May. Unfortunately the demand has broken their site but they should soon get it fixed.
    https://www.cambridge.org/core/what-we-publish/textbooks#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The stars have been really bright this last few nights. Has anyone else noticed this? Look up tonight and you can see them beautifully bright and clear, could this be because of the lack of air pollution?
    Possibly, and the lack of light pollution.
    I've noticed it too for the past week.

I remember hearing that WWII fighter pilots used to shoot at neptune (or mercury) thinking it was an approaching aeroplane.
    I have seen one of those very prominent this past week, and I don't ever remember seeing them that visible in my life. I can now understand the mistake, but previously couldn't.
    I tried to quick search there which planet, but no luck.
    But one of them has been very prominent this last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Distilleries across the country diversifying into producing hand sanitiser given current high demand. Given pubs closed and demand for drink plummeting.

I saw this on the news but where is it being sold? I havent seen any in the stores. Is it being shipped to hospitals or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Big queue down at the blood donation centre where I live today, the staff were flat out dealing with the constant stream of people wanting to donate :) literally out the door thanks to the distancing

Sperm bank was very quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 LoneWatie

No refugees coming in is surely a plus as the system is being milked and as a nation we must prioritize ourselves.

Beautiful sunset last night. Red sky at night shepherds delight.
    Btw. The really bright star in the southern sky is Venus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Turas Nua not being able to hassle people. It's bad for the employees I hope they're covered but that company as a whole have no problem harassing many mentally ill people on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

lucalux wrote: »
    Drive-in movie theatre at Leopardstown, so we might see a surge in them in future. I'd much rather these than cinemas though i know thats not for everyone

They just had a feature on RTE Radio 1. (Sean O Rourke show)

Book online, no contact with anyone outside your own car. Tune in your radio for audio!

Shows at 12, 3, 6 and 9pm.

https://www.retrodrivein.ie/

We used have one in Cork, it was great to go when our daughter was a newborn and we wanted to get out of the house.

I'd love to see more of them pop up.

The leeches of betting shops loosing money.
    Very good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Gods Gift wrote: »
    The leeches of betting shops loosing money.
    Very good thing.
    Hopefully some gambling addicts will be able to go cold turkey and beat the addiction in this downtime.
    I had an uncle who was hooked and it's a curse, pure and simple.

Hopefully we will see a big push both in China and globally to improve the standards in which farmed animals are kept and a complete and permanent ban on the disgusting wet markets unless we improve our animal farming standards. It's only a matter of time before we have another pandemic caused by a virus jumping between species.

We need to take a serious look at factory farming and CAFO globally, especially in america, not only are they incredibly cruel but they are a perfect breeding ground for diseases.

It was poultry factory farms in south east asia that caused the avian flu outbreak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Beautiful sunset last night. Red sky at night shepherds delight.
    Btw. The really bright star in the southern sky is Venus.

Venus! I meant to look that up. It's been very bright for weeks. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mend and make do will make a come back, back garden and shed self sufficiency for the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Working from home is definitely a positive for me. I haven't done a tap in 2 week except working on the house. Drylined the hallway and wallpapered. Starting on the bedrooms from Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Cruise industry scaling down significantly
    Sea World going bankrupt

if you're an undertaker you'll be coining it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Hopefully some gambling addicts will be able to go cold turkey and beat the addiction in this downtime.
    I had an uncle who was hooked and it's a curse, pure and simple.

Online betting? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

My father in law said when we come out the other site of this we're going to have a hugging party. Makes sense when you have grandkids

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The April 1 jokes and spoofs should be interesting this year.

• Advertisement

Steve F wrote: »
    Online betting? :(

Is there sport to bet on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

fryup wrote: »

No you won't. Corona deaths have to be cremated.

Tidy Towns scores will be sky high, all the houses and gardens being spruced up.

After seeing how hard it can be to buy food there might be a big increase in people growing their own vegetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I kind of like the fact that the people who are all hands and touchy aren't touching you now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭appledrop

Instead of spending two hours a day commuting, I get to spend that time everyday on a walk with my toddler! Now I will admit it very tough at times trying to work from home with a 3 year old but positives outway negatives.

Also got to hang out washing all week. A bonus instead of having them all hanging around the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Rob2D wrote: »

I don't think that's accurate. Don't post false data.

There are churches full of coffins in Italy. If they had to be cremated they won't be left in churches awaiting burial.

Closed coffins yes. Mandatory cremations no.

peddlelies wrote: »
    Turas Nua not being able to hassle people. It's bad for the employees I hope they're covered but that company as a whole have no problem harassing many mentally ill people on a weekly basis.

Telephone Calls Now

fryup wrote: »

is that government policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Even if thats true, the under takers will still very likely get a turn out of it.

I would imagine anyway that most even all crematoriums are owned by undertakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Me and 9 others had a game of 5 aside soccer today on the dublin road, whilst maintaining social distancing guidelines at all times.

As far as I am aware it doesnt have to be cremation, but you have to be buried very fast and theres no big church turnout and such (they don't advertise your burial to avoid crowds). So Im sure the undertaker is making money, but seen as no one is looking at the coffin, probably having a hard time upselling the better handles and decorative finishes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Two flies going up the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

No positives. Absolutely none. Except if you are on power. When the greatest ever economic depression takes hold they will blame it on the virus. The number of suicides that results will far outnumber the virus numbers. It's a pity the Lemmings cannot see this.

leavingirl wrote: »
    No positives. Absolutely none. Except if you are on power. When the greatest ever economic depression takes hold they will blame it on the virus. The number of suicides that results will far outnumber the virus numbers. It's a pity the Lemmings cannot see this.
    That's the spirit!

blade1 wrote: »
    Two flies going up the wall

how many new cases each day is popular in my household

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I work on the agri side of things. I hope people buy Irish produced food be it vegetables, dairy or meat or fish and see the standard that it's produced too. After seeing the videos of those chinese wet markets it's no wonder it started there.
    Last summer Chinese officials visited all the major meat processing plants in Ireland to see how meat is processed and how animals are reared yet this virus started in horrendous conditions. It's great to see that this farmer bashing has stopped for a while and that emissions have reduced without but the amount of livestock stayed the same. I hope people will holiday within Ireland and see how beautiful our little country really is. Hopefully people's attitudes will change from whats new on insta to whata actually happening in the here and now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That's the spirit!

LOL, needed to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

LOL, needed to be said.

The truth hurts, unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'd say you're a riot at parti..... social distancing small gatherings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

peddlelies wrote: »

Wanting to sit on your ma’s couch and smoke weed is not a mental illness, turas nua are only persuing people who are mentally and physically capable of working to try help them find work, im sure it feels like torture but they have your and aocieties best interests at heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

That's the spirit!

For some people they are in there element now with being able to give out about the present and future.
    So, that's a positive for some.

leavingirl wrote: »
    The truth hurts, unfortunately

No Pain no Gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,856 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Brexit is out of the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

Beautiful scenes at the airport of the Cuban doctors arriving in Italy. Cuba have been fantastic during the crisis. Low cases, only 1 death, allowing the british cruise ship to dock, sending doctors abroad etc. Wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

I noticed shops are packaging there bakery products.
    I hope it continues. I hate stuff being out on display for everybody to touch.

i seen a member of the irish minority group walk into lidl the other day and start pawing away at the loose bread rolls, the ignorant cow didnt give a second thought for anybody else, i told management why the rolls could be contaminated and they took them off the shelf immediately to throw them all out

Advertisement