Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renovate footpath

• 11-03-2020 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

The concrete footpath round my house, built in 1975, is corroding from wear and powerwashing and is very rough. Is there any coating that could be put on that will adhere well and wear well ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

After nearly 50 years they're probably due for replacement.

Just my Tuppence worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Replacement is the only real fix and remove the existing first.
    The number of times ive seen people putting paths down over existing resulting in a botch where paths at up at or near floor level causing all manner of damness issues together with looking all wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

built in 1975
    Purgative wrote: »
    After nearly 50 years
    mickdw wrote: »
    Replacement is the only real fix and remove the existing first.

:( Horrible, isn't it? 1975 was That long ago!

John; My horse pen floor was nearer a century old, and suitably shot to pieces. Like a right dildo, I spent a summer slathering down barrow loads of concrete, to patch up the pot holes?

:rolleyes: Next summer, it was worse than ever! The guys are right: Rip it up and replace it.Less stress, and should last another load of decades. I know my new pen will outlast me and the horses. Money well spent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Could you not use an exterior self levelling compound such as https://ardex.co.uk/product/ardex-k-301/?
    2-20mm thickness so wouldn't impact levels.

Would be very expensive if putting any reasonable thickness down and still only a cover up job.

• Advertisement

Would be very expensive if putting any reasonable thickness down and still only a cover up job.

But if the path is sound other than a rough surface, a cover up job is all you need.

I reckon 2-4 mm would be a lot cheaper than replacing the path, certainly a lot less effort

Its an option but personally i think a short term fix as even compounds designed for thin coverage dont seem to be a long term fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

GreeBo wrote: »
    But if the path is sound other than a rough surface, a cover up job is all you need.

I reckon 2-4 mm would be a lot cheaper than replacing the path, certainly a lot less effort

2-4mm wouldn't even be noticeable on a footpath.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

A job I'm also contemplating either during my 2 week quarantine or later in the year.
    What do the experts suggest? I've removed all the excess down to a fair level.
    I've flattened everything down and just wondering what is the next stage. Do I order ready mix or hire a mixer and lay it down in stages myself?
    I know I'll have to shutter off sections but just looking for some advice or links to YouTube which I could work off.
    Thanks.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    A job I'm also contemplating either during my 2 week quarantine or later in the year.
    What do the experts suggest? I've removed all the excess down to a fair level.
    I've flattened everything down and just wondering what is the next stage. Do I order ready mix or hire a mixer and lay it down in stages myself?
    I know I'll have to shutter off sections but just looking for some advice or links to YouTube which I could work off.
    Thanks.

Any new bed of concrete would want to be at least 4 inches depth.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

Any new bed of concrete would want to be at least 4 inches depth.

Thanks. I've gone down about that. And have laid some pea gravel and light sand on top for a base/foundation. Is it just a matter of laying the cement now when the weather improves?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Thanks. I've gone down about that. And have laid some pea gravel and light sand on top for a base/foundation. Is it just a matter of laying the cement now when the weather improves?

Whack your base until you have room for at least 4 inches of concrete.

While you are waiting for the the bad weather to pass make sure you have all your shuttering rigid and the fall away from the house correct.

You'll pour the footpaths and screed them off in a few hours, that's the easy part.

While you are waiting for the the bad weather to pass make sure you have all your shuttering rigid and the fall away from the house correct.

You'll pour the footpaths and screed them off in a few hours, that's the easy part.
    Thank you.

Do as much of the prep as you can but get someone to do the concrete work if you dont want a homemade looking job.
    Id tackle most stuff including pouring large slabs but for the likes of paths where finish is all importnt, a pro is a better bet.

Do as much of the prep as you can but get someone to do the concrete work if you dont want a homemade looking job.
    Id tackle most stuff including pouring large slabs but for the likes of paths where finish is all importnt, a pro is a better bet.

I'd much rather have a professional do the prep work and then screed and float the gren off myself than vice versa.

Once the form work is rock solid, the expansion joints are correctly positioned and the fall is right that is the hardest part done.

I'd much rather have a professional do the prep work and then screed and float the gren off myself than vice versa.

Once the form work is rock solid, the expansion joints are correctly positioned and the fall is right that is the hardest part done.

If you dont hit it at the right time, a dogs dinner could be the result if very inexperienced at that work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you dont hit it at the right time, a dogs dinner could be the result if very inexperienced at that work.

Tbf in Irish climate it's not setting off as quick as your saying. For footpath around the house anyone with requisite skill can do it.

listermint wrote: »
    Tbf in Irish climate it's not setting off as quick as your saying. For footpath around the house anyone with requisite skill can do it.

Ya but if you are depending on a load of concrete coming on site and trying not to have to break it up into extra days/loads, a man unused to concrete could easily make a mess.

2-4mm wouldn't even be noticeable on a footpath.

You talking about from a height change point of view or fixing the uneven surface?

From reading the OP it seems that the path is just rough from years of powerwashing and general usage. 4mm should remedy that unless he has been lobbing mortars and neglected to mention it.

And even then, 6mm would cover it, for a lot less cost and effort than replacing an existing pathway.

Would you not want more than pea gravel as a foundation?
    Obviously depends on intended usage, but I'd have hardcore down myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It would be a good idea to put A393 mesh in the paths. That way if any big load every comes on it, eg a tractor or big delivery truck, it'll be far far less likely to crack.

Whack that base really well. If you don't whack it you are wasting your time as it will all crack.
    Whack it for a few hours.

You talking about from a height change point of view or fixing the uneven surface?

From reading the OP it seems that the path is just rough from years of powerwashing and general usage. 4mm should remedy that unless he has been lobbing mortars and neglected to mention it.

And even then, 6mm would cover it, for a lot less cost and effort than replacing an existing pathway.

He said it was corroding and my point to you was if it was only dips of 2-4mm he would hardly have noticed it.

Would you not want more than pea gravel as a foundation?
    Obviously depends on intended usage, but I'd have hardcore down myself.

Once he shutters it properly, wacks it and has 4 inches of concrete it'll be fine for a footpath.

I'd use 804 myself but he has the gravel down now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Careful with the wacking if you've drainage pipes going under it

He said it was corroding and my point to you was if it was only dips of 2-4mm he would hardly have noticed it.

2mm pitting in concrete is very noticeable though, it makes it very rough and prone to dirt and moss.

Advertisement