Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uneven moderation

Options
  • 11-03-2020 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Can an admin or higher explain to me why a post in CA accusing other posters of being paedophile apologists does not warrant even a thread ban according to Mr E? Especially given similar posts on the same thread were given a thread ban at minimum and a forum ban in another instance?

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Have you a) reported the post in question and b) asked the mods by PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i reported the offending post and i reported the mod post. i PM'd a forum mod and they told me it was an admin decision that they had no control over

I posted a reply to this this yesterday and it has still not appeared.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I posted a reply to this this yesterday and it has still not appeared.
    We were prioritising some stuff in connection with Coronavirus and some of the threads we have and I know Niamh was working very late on that last night. Today is a public holiday, and although I think she has been keeping an eye on the AMA stuff this is not a workday for her

Now I don't know to what extent you have discussed with Mr E. You have certainly not discussed it with me, and I am another mod in CA. Equally though we have both been prioritising a lot of stuff on CoVid-19 particularly over the past few days. We are also both dealing with our regular re-reg trolls and have other priorities on the site. In the exceptional circumstances we find ourselves in please show a little patience on these matters

Beasty wrote: »
    We were prioritising some stuff in connection with Coronavirus and some of the threads we have and I know Niamh was working very late on that last night. Today is a public holiday, and although I think she has been keeping an eye on the AMA stuff this is not a workday for her

Now I don't know to what extent you have discussed with Mr E. You have certainly not discussed it with me, and I am another mod in CA. Equally though we have both been prioritising a lot of stuff on CoVid-19 particularly over the past few days. We are also both dealing with our regular re-reg trolls and have other priorities on the site. In the exceptional circumstances we find ourselves in please show a little patience on these matters

I discussed it with a forum mod. if you would like me to name them i am happy to do that. You are an admin on that forum. do you agree with the decision of Mr E?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I discussed it with a forum mod. if you would like me to name them i am happy to do that. You are an admin on that forum. do you agree with the decision of Mr E?
    I am an Admin at site level, and a moderator at the CA forum level. I have not looked at the issue as I have not been asked to, except now in this thread. I have too many other issues currently to deal with given all the Coronavirus issues and discussions we are seeing. Niamh may get a chance before I do, but it's a public holiday today so you cannot expect a response, and she also is heavily involved in Coronavirus matters when she is back in. It may just be you have to wait a little longer for a response, although if you had PM'd me about this (as a moderator of the forum and an Admin at site level - equivalent to Mr E) I might have dealt with it then, but given the scale of activity in the new forum it is not going to be high on my priority list. For similar reasons I'm not going to be responding further here certainly for a while as I have a bit of catching up to do elsewhere

May as well just close this so. It seems gross personal abuse is not the offence it once was here.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sorry I wasn't aware of this thread.

The issue was dealt with behind the scenes via PM with multiple users, including the person who posted the comment.

Mr E wrote: »
    Sorry I wasn't aware of this thread.

The issue was dealt with behind the scenes via PM with multiple users, including the person who posted the comment.

I didnt realise that people who posted personal abuse got a say in their punishment. and i dont remember being involved in those discussions and i was one of the people the post was aimed at.

Any chance of answering the question in the OP? Why did the same offence in a short period of time receive completely different levels of punishment? why did you originally threadban them and then almost immediately rescind it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement