Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump Bans USA - Europe Travel from Friday for 30 Days.

Options
  • 12-03-2020 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭

Jesus ****ing christ.

There probably isn't a more susceptible airline to this than EI.

Update: Apparently Schengen only - clarified by US Department of Homeland Security. Presumably Ireland unaffected.

Update 2: Confirmed Ireland is not on DHS list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Unbelievable. I'm less annoyed about Ireland not being exempted with the UK than the irrationality of excluding the UK for fear of offending an ally. It's ludicrous.
    No different to Saudi excluding the EU but not the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

What the ****... I live in the US. My parents were to be visiting next week. They paid for a hotel. All planned... I'm shocked. Will they be refunded? I don't know what to make of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Insane.

Something like that could finish Aer Lingus, it will be devastating.

No surprise to see he excluded the UK, he's a big supporter of Brexit and would do anything to give the EU a good kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Insane.

Something like that could finish Aer Lingus, it will be devastating.

No surprise to see he excluded the UK, he's a big supporter of Brexit and would do anything to give the EU a good kick.

Ever so slightly fortunate they're part of IAG presuming UK flights remain permitted (which is another insanity, but anyway). There might be enough cash in bank to weather some of the storm. It's going to get grim in Shamrock House though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

DHS says it's Schengen only so Ireland should be ok direct presumably. Who knows with connecting pax from Schengen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I wonder how he can justify allowing UK over everyone else?

They are not exactly beacons of responsibility allowing Cheltenham festival to go ahead with a confirmed case already in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭knockon

Without the update I wondered could some services be moved to Aldergrove? A basic service - could that even be a runner?

A potentially huge sigh of relief for Aer Lingus and all at Shamrock House!

I wouldn't trust Trump though, he's a loose cannon and could easily extend the ban or change it at very short notice but for now, it looks like a reprieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anyone in a Schengen country last 14 days is not allowed.
    Thats all connections for EI out the window. Unless they stay in Ireland for 14 days leaving us horrifically exposed and we'd have to close our own borders unilaterally.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Anyone in a Schengen country last 14 days is not allowed.
    Thats all connections for EI out the window. Unless they stay in Ireland for 14 days leaving us horrifically exposed and we'd have to close our own borders unilaterally.

While connections from Europe are effectively gone, they remain for US citizens travelling from Europe to the US via Ireland and for British passengers connecting in Ireland.

It's far from ideal in what is already a very difficult time for the likes of Aer Lingus but it's better than what the airlines of continental Europe are about to experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

It seems like a political move in relation to a virus. Why Not Ireland and the UK?

Something does not add up in all of this. Information locally in the States is abysmal. No real reporting on cases locally. My own suspicions are that they have no idea how many cases are actually in the USA.

Why ban travel from the EU? Why not China? Why not South Korea...etc....etc...

Something does not add up here. Americans in general have no concept of what is happening in the rest of the world. The cancelling of the NBA is bigger news than cronovirus.. that is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's not a ban on travel from the EU; it's a ban on travel from the Schengen Area.

My guess is that the rationale is that (a) the virus is pandemic in Italy; (b) Italy is in the Schengen area; and (c) because of the nature of the Schengen area it's not practicable to apply a ban on travel from Italy only. (Anyone travelling from anwhere in Schengen could have been in Italy recently; you have no way of knowing.)

It doesn't really stack up, to be honest, because an EU citizen resident in Ireland or the UK could travel to the US, and there's no way of telling if they have been in Italy or Schengenland recently. But it looks like an attempt to do something vaguely rational.

As for exempting US citizens from the entry ban, this is normal with such bans. (Australia currently has a travel ban that prevents you entering if you have been in China in the past 14 days; Australian citizens and permanent residents can enter.) Countries pretty weill have to do this; its pretty fundamental to citizenship that you can enter the country that you are a citizen of. If your citizens are infected or infectious, they are your problem, not someone elses. You can quarantine them or isolate them or whatever, but you can't turn them away for some other country to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The US probably has it bad and he’s spreading the blame before the tests catch up with cases. This is nuts. The global travel industry is screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Fortunately the virus knows not to infect Americans visiting Europe so there’s no need to ban them from travelling home.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

UK has about 400 cases and is an island, but Trump will still block them when that number goes uncontrollable. As for Ireland we will also be on the list in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

NSAman wrote: »
    It seems like a political move in relation to a virus. Why Not Ireland and the UK?

Something does not add up in all of this. Information locally in the States is abysmal. No real reporting on cases locally. My own suspicions are that they have no idea how many cases are actually in the USA.

Something does not add up here. Americans in general have no concept of what is happening in the rest of the world. The cancelling of the NBA is bigger news than cronovirus.. that is worrying.

Are you for real, it's exploding in Europe with little measures been taking by government until it's to late. We need complete lockdown if you want to stop the spread. The Chinese have warned about this. also was there not a travel ban on China?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

Trump criticising Europe for not curtailing travel is pure hypocrisy when he's spent the last two weeks practically denying the virus even exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

john boye wrote: »
    Trump criticising Europe for not curtailing travel is pure hypocrisy when he's spent the last two weeks practically denying the virus even exists.

Probably been told this could be an election issue if economy sinks and this is his way of saying it’s not his fault. Last week it was the Chinese virus now European one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Noxegon wrote: »
    Fortunately the virus knows not to infect Americans visiting Europe so there’s no need to ban them from travelling home.

He doesn’t have the power to ban citizens from travelling

He doesn’t have the power to ban citizens from travelling
    But he could impose quarantine obligations on citizens returning from travel in Schengenland. Which he is not doing or proposing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Are you for real, it's exploding in Europe with little measures been taking by government until it's to late. We need complete lockdown if you want to stop the spread. The Chinese have warned about this. also was there not a travel ban on China?
    Complete lockdown will only work over a prolonged period in places like China, where it can be ruthlessly enforced. It needs to be done if required elsewhere. This all seems a little over-anxious TBH. The vast majority of cases are mild and little more than fever. If you are at risk or believe yourself at risk then you need to take extra precautions otherwise follow the hygiene advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

NSAman wrote: »

Sure isn't the preclearance at Irish airports on American territory?

Not sure about uk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can someone here clear something up for me, it's easier to ask here rather than the other covid threads, they're too quick moving.

A friend of mine is a German national living here 20+ years, he was due to travel from here to Germany and then to the US, obviously that's off now but could he travel from the UK to America instead? He's worried that he wouldn't be allowed entry as he is German, even though he would be travelling from the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Nobody will book a flight anywhere now, as there is a fear you could struggle to get home.

Global airline fleet must be on the verge of collapse.

Can someone here clear something up for me, it's easier to ask here rather than the other covid threads, they're too quick moving.

A friend of mine is a German national living here 20+ years, he was due to travel from here to Germany and then to the US, obviously that's off now but could he travel from the UK to America instead? He's worried that he wouldn't be allowed entry as he is German, even though he would be travelling from the UK.

As things stand he can fly from uk or Ireland, but those flights might be cancelled, or he might not get to fly back.

As long as he hasn't been in Germany (or any other Schengen country) in the past 14 days he's not excluded by the ban. But because he's carrying a German passport they'll give him the third degree, and if they are in any doubt about his honesty on this point they may turn him away anyway.

If he is resident in Ireland and can presumably prove that, he might do better to fly from Irland than from the UK. If he flies from the UK they'll reckon he's not flying from home, he was obviously travelling around a bit before coming to the States, maybe he was in Germany too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

easypazz wrote: »
    Nobody will book a flight anywhere now, as there is a fear you could struggle to get home.

Global airline fleet must be on the verge of collapse.

Yes. Multiply what happened after 9/11 by a factor of 10.

Yes. Multiply what happened after 9/11 by a factor of 10.

Indeed. After 911 they could slash fares straight away and get on with it.

There is no guarantee of an end date here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

It's time based. Anyone who has been in a schengen country in the past 14 days can't travel to the US, same as they did for China.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

john boye wrote: »
    First it would go away in April, "like a miracle", then it was a hoax from the Dems to get him impeached again.
    And now this travel ban. I certainly feel that he is taking this action in an attempt to project decisiveness after his bungling over the last 2 weeks.

His statement was that "travelers from Europe had seeded the clusters of the virus in the US". Which completely ignored the fact that the clusters in the US were created by US citizens who had returned from the Europe.

Its almost as if they think "Schengen open borders" means that there are no checks anywhere. Austria has already introduced border check on their Italian border.

Advertisement