Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump Bans USA - Europe Travel from Friday for 30 Days.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The obvious criticism here would be EI having all their focus and eggs in one transatlantic basket, but then again, everyone is struggling in all directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Be interesting to look at flight radar tomorrow, it will be a pretty bare picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

11.59pm EST Friday, so the Friday wave will get off.

Saturday will be bleak though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Heard anecdotally that the half empty EI flights for tomorrow are rapidly becoming full. It appears that US pax are changing their flights upon hearing this announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

dfx- wrote: »
    The obvious criticism here would be EI having all their focus and eggs in one transatlantic basket, but then again, everyone is struggling in all directions.
    Definitely. The whole idea of diversifying the network to protect the airline against situations like this is a bit of myth anyway.

Anything big enough to impact the US would no doubt see other markets fall first for the likes of Aer Lingus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The problem in these situations is that governments act too late. A ban on travel from Europe to the Americas could have had real public health benefits, but the time to do it was in 1492.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dfx- wrote: »

The diversification people usually clamoured for on here was to the Asian countries that are already locked down, remember

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tenger wrote: »
    Heard anecdotally that the half empty EI flights for tomorrow are rapidly becoming full. It appears that US pax are changing their flights upon hearing this announcement.

Did you hear the lady on Joe Duffy yesterday, and how some of her 'friends' thought the borders were being closed, and spent €6,000 to fly home yesterday ?

And they were US citizens, who aren't even affected............... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

galwaytt wrote: »
    Did you hear the lady on Joe Duffy yesterday, and how some of her 'friends' thought the borders were being closed, and spent €6,000 to fly home yesterday ?

And they were US citizens, who aren't even affected............... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    There are many stories like this. Trump made a complete hames of announcing the measures and, although corrections were issued very soon afterwards, once a false story has been set going, particularly by somebody with a media profile like Trump's it is extremely difficult to recall it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Peregrinus wrote: »
    There are many stories like this. Trump made a complete hames of announcing the measures and, although corrections were issued very soon afterwards, once a false story has been set going, particularly by somebody with a media profile like Trump's it is extremely difficult to recall it.

It is a very good example of why very clear and carefully prepared and thought out messaging is needed for important decisions like this.

Unfortunately Trump is clearly a toddler who basically is just blurting out whatever comes to into his head and is largely doing this for panicked political reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

galwaytt wrote: »

No. Don’t listen to radio (just never got into the habit)
    I’ve got mates in EI and the missus is crew. But the mates corroborate this, the flights today were filling up with ppl rebooking to leave Europ earlier.

The Oval Office announcement was spectacularly bad.
    DHS had to make 2 corrections within 30 mins, and Trump made one himself via tweet. I’m wondering did he go off script, or is he just unable to follow a teleprompter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Tenger wrote: »
    No. Don’t listen to radio (just never got into the habit)
    I’ve got mates in EI and the missus is crew. But the mates corroborate this, the flights today were filling up with ppl rebooking to leave Europ earlier.

The Oval Office announcement was spectacularly bad.
    DHS had to make 2 corrections within 30 mins, and Trump made one himself via tweet. I’m wondering did he go off script, or is he just unable to follow a teleprompter?

I suspect he listened to a briefing, thought he understood it, went on TV winging it and had to be told after the difference between Europe and the Schengen region.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

On the contrary, this man doesn't listen to anybody because he knows more than you will ever know and you cannot even imagine the stuff he knows because nobody knows except him. He's the man who said that it's okay to go to work with the virus.....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

So if these flights are canceled, do the airlines still fly the route to keep the slot, or are the skies emptier as a result of this? I'd heard they need to use the slot to keep it, but it could be just hearsay.

As a followup, how much less fuel would an empty plane (apart from crew) use in comparison to a fully loaded one?

Airlines need to fly slots to keep them in a 'use them, or lose them' philosophy designed to stop anti-competitive practices where airlines would hold slots at airports that are very valuable. EI's slots at LHR are conservatively valued a 1.5 Billion.

The EU has now suspended the need to fly slots empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

EI's slots at LHR are conservatively valued a 1.5 Billion.
    aren't a bunch of them rented out ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Sky news reporting that UK and Ireland are to be added to the ban, no information yet about when that will come into force

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Sky news reporting that UK and Ireland are to be added to the ban, no information yet about when that will come into force
    Effective Monday night.

Monday, according to CNN, but with this moron, who knows? Everything he mutters and mangles has to be walked back, interpreted and dots joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,860 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Confirmed
    BBC - US to extend coronavirus travel ban to UK and Ireland from Monday

Mike Pence has announced all travel to the UK and Ireland will be suspended from midnight Monday EST.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I guess this doesn't impact Irish already in the US and needing to come home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

bilbot79 wrote: »

it does

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

bilbot79 wrote: »

They will be allowed to come home but finding a seat on one of the rapidly dwindling numbers of flights will be fun.

Incidentally, the "screening" is more likely to spread the virus than catch it...

https://twitter.com/breakingavnews/status/1239102590719332354?s=19

Returning home will be a nightmare and expensive. That said, I would much rather be here than over there because holy hell will break out when they realise the scale of this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

I have a flight booked to ewr for next saturday with united, obviously not going now but just wondering will United cancel that flight? or will it fly anyway for US citizens? will i be allowed to get a refund because I am not allowed on the flight? it is kind of a grey area unfortunately

If it comes to it I dont mind if I have to change the flight for free but would prefer to get a refund so can have some time to reschedule

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I see there are non cargo flights like MAD - JFK in the air right now, are these not banned right now?

edit : apologies, not aer lingus related (American Airlines) but anyway..

I see there are non cargo flights like MAD - JFK in the air right now, are these not banned right now?

edit : apologies, not aer lingus related (American Airlines) but anyway..

Flights can still fly but they cannot take passengers that are from listed European countries. They also must only fly to certain reception cities in the US. Aer Lingus could fly for the next 30 days if they wanted but they would be flying pretty empty aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

What about the air crew. I presume they won’t be allowed off unless they are US citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

Theres exceptions been made for air crews AFAIK.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I have a flight for me and my family to New York on the 2nd week of April with Aer Lingus. Now that Ireland is banned, does that mean flights will be cancelled and I will be refunded? Haven't heard anything from them.

Advertisement