Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike time

Options
  • 12-03-2020 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭

So time to upgrade the old spectral and I was going to just upgrade to the new one but after being up at The Gap test day last weekend their customer service put me off.

So my question, Does anyone ride a YT Jeffsy it was a close contender with the spectral and always fancied a YT. https://www.yt-industries.com/en/detail/index/sArticle/2354/sCategory/509

Specifically this colourway :)

05_Jeffsy27_CF_Comp_Dune_Grey_Seite_720x600.png

Alternatively any other suggestions for around the €3k mark? I do like the Trek remedy 8 but to be honest I've seen a lot of them about and fancy something different, that's what has me drawn to the YT.

Only interested in 27.5 I find the wagon wheels awkward. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    So time to upgrade the old spectral and I was going to just upgrade to the new one but after being up at The Gap test day last weekend their customer service put me off.

So my question, Does anyone ride a YT Jeffsy it was a close contender with the spectral and always fancied a YT. https://www.yt-industries.com/en/detail/index/sArticle/2354/sCategory/509

Specifically this colourway :)

05_Jeffsy27_CF_Comp_Dune_Grey_Seite_720x600.png

Alternatively any other suggestions for around the €3k mark? I do like the Trek remedy 8 but to be honest I've seen a lot of them about and fancy something different, that's what has me drawn to the YT.

Only interested in 27.5 I find the wagon wheels awkward. :D

What was the issue with Canyons customer service do you mind me asking? I've a 2015 strive CF and always found them helpful. The old shapeshifter issues aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

sparrowcar wrote: »
    What was the issue with Canyons customer service do you mind me asking? I've a 2015 strive CF and always found them helpful. The old shapeshifter issues aside.

It wasn't really customer service per se and I have no issues with Canyon direct. Just the lads running the day were all over the shop. To be honest it was a bit of a cluster **** with roadies spending an age getting fitted to the road bikes and handful of mtb at a bike park :rolleyes:

I wanted to take the new 2020 strive for a spin as I believe the new shape shifter is manual bar mounted switch but couldn't be arsed with the queue

It wasn't really customer service per se and I have no issues with Canyon direct. Just the lads running the day were all over the shop. To be honest it was a bit of a cluster **** with roadies spending an age getting fitted to the road bikes and handful of mtb at a bike park :rolleyes:

I wanted to take the new 2020 strive for a spin as I believe the new shape shifter is manual bar mounted switch but couldn't be arsed with the queue

I wouldn't let that put you off.
    You know yourself, fantastic bikes.

I wouldn't let that put you off.
    You know yourself, fantastic bikes.

Yeah it hasn't put me off entirely but certainly made me look closer at other options. The jeffsy looks pretty sweet and the spectral equivalent is a rock shox build, my preference would be fox

Yeah it hasn't put me off entirely but certainly made me look closer at other options. The jeffsy looks pretty sweet and the spectral equivalent is a rock shox build, my preference would be fox

That's fair enough. You seen the new privateer 161?

• Advertisement

That's fair enough. You seen the new privateer 161?

I haven't, I'll check it out in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yeah, was surprised myself how few mountain bikes they had, was talking to one lad who was about to get on the strive and he said he'd been hanging around on and off his own bike for over 3 hours.

prunudo wrote: »
    Yeah, was surprised myself how few mountain bikes they had, was talking to one lad who was about to get on the strive and he said he'd been hanging around on and off his own bike for over 3 hours.

It was definitely more road oriented I was laughing at all the aero bikes with deep wheels and the wind almost taking them off the racks.

The queues were ridiculous definitely need to do a register in advance deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

Was the first time I'd been to a 'demo day', are the other manufacturers better organised?

prunudo wrote: »
    Was the first time I'd been to a 'demo day', are the other manufacturers better organised?

They had one there last summer and it had several stores/brands I can only recall becycles and the guys from biking dirty but there must've been close to 60 bikes there just a matter of throwing in your ID and off you go, none of the marketing blurb they had at Canyon. I tried out several brands in both 29r and 27.5 at that event which to be fair was pretty exceptional. The ones they have coming up seems to be smaller stores so I don't know what to expect but I'll probably go to the bikeology and trek days in April.

Considering the size of Canyon and the fact they were at a bike park I'd have thought they would bring dozens of mtb bikes. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I do like the Trek remedy 8 but to be honest I've seen a lot of them about and fancy something different, that's what has me drawn to the YT.

Weird, I hardly ever see a remedy on the trails but I know plenty of people with Jeffseys. One guy I know had an issue with his shock shortly after buying and apparently they were extremely slow in sorting it out. Apart from that I haven't really heard any complaints. Although never really heard anyone raving about them either.

Weird, I hardly ever see a remedy on the trails but I know plenty of people with Jeffseys. One guy I know had an issue with his shock shortly after buying and apparently they were extremely slow in sorting it out. Apart from that I haven't really heard any complaints. Although never really heard anyone raving about them either.

Yeah I've been reading more and more reviews of poor warranty claims and customer service being very slow. I guess you never really hear anyone raving about any bike it's the complaints you have to watch for.

I think I've only ever seen one YT capra at the gap. I'll probably end up going with the spectral again but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TOTAL CYCLEPATH

I am a total newbie to the mountain biking scene. Rented the stumpjumper from the specialized store and am very impressed. Very impressed with the spec and the handling. Although I am not drawing from a lot of experience when giving my opinion so.....

Lads in the specialized store are sound and seem genuine.

I am a total newbie to the mountain biking scene. Rented the stumpjumper from the specialized store and am very impressed. Very impressed with the spec and the handling. Although I am not drawing from a lot of experience when giving my opinion so.....

Lads in the specialized store are sound and seem genuine.

I didn't know you could rent bikes from there. I assume it's just if you're interested in buying but yes it's a great store but you'd want seriously deep pockets to be going shopping in there. They have a lovely pike packing set up in there I was considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

it's a great store but you'd want seriously deep pockets to be going shopping in there.
    Unless its on sale id never even consider specialized as their frames are made by merida who are about 10-20% cheaper.

Tony04 wrote: »
    Unless its on sale id never even consider specialized as their frames are made by merida who are about 10-20% cheaper.

I never knew that, even their s-works frames?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Unless it marketed as made in USA, its built in Taiwan by Merida and cheap bikes in China.

Advertisement