Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x08 - "Broken Pieces" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Who wrote that episode?! I think they've been pillaging ideas from Mass Effect , particularly when Sheppard touched the Prothean beacon which then electrocuted visions into his mindframe. The zhad bash scene was pretty much the same.

Will the threat in Picard turn out to be similar to that of the Reapers? hmm.. If only the writing was half as good as it was in ME , maybe then would the show be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Borg can be dead for years and still be reactivated/repaired by their nanprobes. Star trek Enterprise and the episode of Voyager with the damaged cube.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Sure they where walking on the hull of the enterprise in Star Trek first contact. There is whole fight on the outside of the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

My favorite episode so far

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Myself I thought it stupid why a Borg Cube would have airlocks at every or any drones cubicle. I also thought Seven was stupid not to lock out all controls to the Cube from anywhere else before re-awaking the drones. We seen in Voyager that if one Borg drone goes awol the Queen just destroys the whole Cube.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I liked it. Good episode.

But....

1) in First Contact. The Drones didn't need oxygen, they were happy assimilating the deflector dish without it.

2) seems like they are stealing plot lines from Mass Effect and Battlestar Galactica. Some sort of Reaper species living on the galactic rim or something.

3) No more JL please.

4) Starfleet are not going to blow up a whole ship because a Captain won't murder two Androids.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They blew the borg into space to render them useless so the ships could mop then up, rather than to kill them via no oxygen

They blew the borg into space to render them useless so the ships could mop then up, rather than to kill them via no oxygen

Borg bounces off the Hull of a ship. Ooooohhh assimilation time!! :D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Again with the ‘hubris’ - i actually never heard this word until The Force Awakens and now it seems to be the plot point for everything!

Can’t anyone just say we were over confident!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Good episode- I liked the gradual reassembly of the broken crew around the mess table. Also an attempt to humanise (Romulanise?) Space Cersei... nice try, but no. She's a very one-dimensional baddie, and the only really weak part of the show for me.
    Again with the ‘hubris’ - i actually never heard this word until The Force Awakens and now it seems to be the plot point for everything!

Can’t anyone just say we were over confident!

Star Trek has done so so many episodes about hubris.

I figured the drones were just vulnerable after being inert for so many years, and also that it doesn't really matter if they're alive or dead once you've spaced them. Your version works too!

We also don't know the technological or biological basis of drone's not needing oxygen. Can every drone do it, all the time? Is it indefinite, or time limited?

Maybe Seven should have just started beaming them back in, but she wasn't able to prevent the Romulans opening the cube up, so I guess many of its functions were locked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I thought that episode was rather good. Apart from the leprechaun Irish accent. I just felt more engaged with the narrative more so than previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

2) seems like they are stealing plot lines from Mass Effect and Battlestar Galactica. Some sort of Reaper species living on the galactic rim or something.

I've never been under the impression that anything in Mass Effect is particularly original and assumed they nicked the whole Reapers thing from somewhere else, not least from the Borg.

At any rate, that series is probably dead, so I've no problem seeing bits of it nicked for use elsewhere.

I don't think you could say that yer man's Oirish accent was good, but I think he does a pretty good job of playing 6 different nationalities and not totally butchering any of them. Like it was bad, but it wasn't Richard Gere in The Jackal bad.

Enjoyed that episode. I feel like things are building nicely. There's some awful ****e on TV, so I'm always willing to forgive the odd foible, like Rios's ridiculuosly convenient backstory, when you have something that's well acted, well cast, well produced and generally is heading in the right direction.

7 plugging in and then out again of the Cube was a little bit of a blue-ball move. I can only assume she's going to turn up in the finale with this now fully armed and operational battle station, and the Fenris Rangers, which sounds like a mashup of Power Rangers and Warhammer 40k, via a folk/bluegrass quartet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I cant take Cersei Romulan seriously , she is like something out of an episode of Buck Rogers circa 1980 but at least the brother didn't feature so thankful for that. Overall its just too pedestrian to be a series long arc. There is no gripping story, its just scene after scene after scene

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

i thought that was a great ep back in business again
    cersei romulan is a bit unlikeable all right
    we've moved on from JL to honey, i suppose it's a bit more palatable
    still convinced it's a yorkshire not an irish accent :pac:

bluewolf wrote: »
    i thought that was a great ep back in business again
    cersei romulan is a bit unlikeable all right
    we've moved on from JL to honey, i suppose it's a bit more palatable
    still convinced it's a yorkshire not an irish accent :pac:

No definitely an Irish accent but designed by someone who hasn't been here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Scottish accent ain't any better, very Groundskeeper Willy by all accounts. I'm happy to give the guy a pass, the actor's Uruguayan, don't expect miracles with English language variants. The holograms themselves have been a bit of fun for me, pretty harmless.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The Scottish accent ain't any better, very Groundskeeper Willy by all accounts. I'm happy to give the guy a pass, the actor's Uruguayan, don't expect miracles with English language variants. The holograms themselves have been a bit of fun for me, pretty harmless.

I think its actually something different.

One of the worst Irish accents I've heard was Maria Doyle Kennedy in Dexter. I've met her in real life and she talks normally. She was also in Downton Abby, and her accent was natural sounding.

I think the director had the actor over act the Irish and Scottish accents, because it may not be clear to American viewers what the accents are. But, if that is the case, why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

I think the holograms are supposed to be shallow stereotypes, bad accents and all.

Gbear wrote: »

I don't think you could say that yer man's Oirish accent was good, but I think he does a pretty good job of playing 6 different nationalities and not totally butchering any of them. Like it was bad, but it wasn't Richard Gere in The Jackal bad.

My problem with him is I don't think he's a good actor at all. Whenever he's live I pay more attention to his acting that to what he's saying. I don't know what it is about him, maybe it the way the camera pans around him all the time or what, but I just don't find his performance convincing. Maybe it due to the fact he play's so many characters at the same time and that's difficult to do.

I know from this forum many ppl disliked Voyager but he certainly is no Robert Picardo (The Doctor) in terms of acting ability.

Evade wrote: »
    I think the holograms are supposed to be shallow stereotypes, bad accents and all.

Didn't Rafi kiss (on the forehead) one of the hollow hollograms. That didn't seem quite right.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    Didn't Rafi kiss (on the forehead) one of the hollow hollograms. That didn't seem quite right.
    In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

AllForIt wrote: »

They're not just light. Otherwise, how could you have the EMH?

They use localised forcefields so that they're effectively physical entities.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think the holograms are just for comic effect.
    Just like the EMH on Voyager was partly.
    I still think Stewart was too old for this but I'm enjoying it.
    The Borg/ seven of nine dimension is interesting.
    I suppose Data will somehow turn up ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd honestly be very surprised if Brent Spiner doesn't pop up in the finale; it feels like whatever's on the planet they're heading to, there's "a surprise" waiting. Spiner's cameo was very fleeting, almost too fleeting - and the old "appear in the pilot, appear in the finale" is a classic move of the Famous / Special Guest Star.

Data will probably appear be older to 'reflect the time he was gone'
    or something. Q will also appear is say.

All Eyes On Rafah

So whats the deal with E*Hs then, they are synthetic life just as much as andriods, why are they ok to still be around?

So whats the deal with E*Hs then, they are synthetic life just as much as andriods, why are they ok to still be around?

I think the rationale is that holograms aren't synthetic life. They are programmed with specific abilities and when no longer needed their program is stopped.

Unlike an android they can't:
    -Leave the confines of the ship
    -Arent continually learning new skills
    -Escape the confines of their skill, so the EMH can't upskill and become the ENT too.

This is echoed in First Contact when Beverly Crusher asks the EMH to help distract the borg while they escaped and he was only able to offer them medical advice - not fire a phaser at them or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a bit clearer in the novel. The synthetics were created specially to help them ramp up fleet production on Mars to a rate that would allow them to build enough ships in time to complete the Romulan evacuation. They were supposed to be non-sentient unlike Commander Data. When they rebelled, no-one could figure out the reason why so they banned all future synthetic production. The EMHs on the other hand were a known entity, never any issues with them going rogue and killing everyone with no explanation.

Stark wrote: »
    It's a bit clearer in the novel. The synthetics were created specially to help them ramp up fleet production on Mars to a rate that would allow them to build enough ships in time to complete the Romulan evacuation. They were supposed to be non-sentient unlike Commander Data. When they rebelled, no-one could figure out the reason why so they banned all future synthetic production. The EMHs on the other hand were a known entity, never any issues with them going rogue and killing everyone with no explanation.

so why not just use hologram then, like they did with the obsolete EHM mk1 to mine dilithium?
    You can't tell me the mobile emitter hadn't been fully reverse engineered by then either to allow them to be fully autonomous...

• Advertisement

I think the rationale is that holograms aren't synthetic life. They are programmed with specific abilities and when no longer needed their program is stopped.

Unlike an android they can't:
    -Leave the confines of the ship
    -Arent continually learning new skills
    -Escape the confines of their skill, so the EMH can't upskill and become the ENT too.

This is echoed in First Contact when Beverly Crusher asks the EMH to help distract the borg while they escaped and he was only able to offer them medical advice - not fire a phaser at them or anything.
    Voyager's EMH kind of pokes a few holes in that logic, even before he had the mobile emitter.

Advertisement