Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Isopropyl/surgical spirits/rubbing alcohol is the same thing. Hand sanitizer can be readily made at home using off the shelf ingredients. Methylated spirits can be used as an alternative but MUST be watered down to 60-70% with water when being used on the skin. Bottles can be both in Mr price for €1.50 and in near hardware stores. Most aloe vera gel off the shelf has ingredients added like alcohol and glycerin etc If you are able to, use pure aloe vera gel and then add the likes of glycerin and essential oils of your choice like tea tree (Deals €1.50) and lavender oil, this is optional.

My recipe is
    2/3 Isopropyl/surgical spirits/rubbing alcohol or Methylated spirits (watered)
    1/3 Aloe Vera (Pure)

Optional ingredients added:
    1/2 tsp. Tea Tree oil (antibacterial, Nourish the skin)
    1/2 tsp. Vegetable Glycerine (A natural humectant that helps to soften the skin.)
    1/2 tsp. Vitamin E Oil (Nourish the skin, helps preserve hand sanitizer, makes it last)

If you are using aloe vera gel off the shelf used to treat sunburn etc I would not add the optional ingredients.

When Iv used Methylated spirits it looks mental when using in work/public.

What would actually be useful to bulk buy? Presumably tinned goods and other non perishables.

Yep. Tinned food, rice, pasta...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Bought 2 boxes of them back in January (12 100ml bottles in a box) when i seen what was transpiring in China. Have distributed them among family members (some of who laughed at me weeks ago :rolleyes:) and brought a box of them to the local nursing home as i did feel a bit guilty last week i must admit. I got them up in Newry for little or no money as i go up there every couple of months to stock up on household essentials and groceries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

James o brien is talking about this on LBC radio right now. He's asking why people are bulk buying big roll. There's no symptom of Covid that involves diarrhea. I think it's just a lack of imagination.
    And social contagion El D, a meme spreading like wildfire. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the bog roll rush kicked off on social media(may have been one post) where it was claimed bog roll was only made in China and stocks would go short, so the mob went nuts. While individuals may be clever, average or as dumb as rocks, it is a certainty the mob is always as dumb as rocks. Like you say this virus doesn't cause the liquid sit downs(a tiny percentage of cases, which means it's as likely they already had the squits from something else.

This virus and its symptoms where present appear to be quite different from the usual colds and flu. over 80% present with fever and cough, over 30% with shortness of breath. The more usual winter bug symptoms of sore throat or the snots only occurs in under 5% of patients. SARS and MERS were very similar.
    I chatted the bloke on the check out in tesco and he said they have plans to stock only necessary things like bread, milk, eggs etc. if it comes to it.

What would actually be useful to bulk buy? Presumably tinned goods and other non perishables.
    Or don't buy into the daftness, it's not armageddon or anything like it. Even if it was, having a few extra tins of beans would just mean you'd starve to death more slowly. It's mostly about individuals having the placebo of control in the face of confusion, with a side order of panic. And we're back to the mob again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's mostly about individuals having the placebo of control in the face of confusion, with a side order of panic. And we're back to the mob again.

You’d swear the “supply lines” were cut and the bridges blown the way some people are carrying on.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Bulk buying is fine when supplies are plentiful. During shortages it's selfish.

I don't agree, I have not bulk bought hand sanitizer but I do have a few as it was fairly obvious since December what seemed to be coming down the tracks so as I said I bought one when I came accros it at the time.
    I think how people shop is entirely up to themselves it's not like this happened to come to Ireland out of the blue it was obviously going to get here so if some people choose to be prepared by having a bit of extra stock in fair play to them.
    I certainly don't want to be dealing with having the virus and feeling like crap and also having to try and get my household essentials in as I didn't make any provision for the obvious. If I hadn't bought extra I'm not sure how I would fare in self isolation, very uncomfortably I imagine as I live alone so at least now should I get ill I have enough provisions to see me through and not need to trouble anyone for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

bertsmom wrote: »
    Bulk buying is fine when supplies are plentiful. During shortages it's selfish.

I don't agree, I have not bulk bought hand sanitizer but I do have a few as it was fairly obvious since December what seemed to be coming down the tracks so as I said I bought one when I came accros it at the time.
    I think how people shop is entirely up to themselves it's not like this happened to come to Ireland out of the blue it was obviously going to get here so if some people choose to be prepared by having a bit of extra stock in fair play to them.
    I certainly don't want to be dealing with having the virus and feeling like crap and also having to try and get my household essentials in as I didn't make any provision for the obvious. If I hadn't bought extra I'm not sure how I would fare in self isolation, very uncomfortably I imagine as I live alone so at least now should I get ill I have enough provisions to see me through and not need to trouble anyone for anything.

I disagree. How you shop at times of shortage and crisis affects other people. There would probably be enough hand sanitisers to go around if people just bought one or two, and used soap and water where possible. But people who are in good health bulk buying are, in many cases, leaving extra sanitisers sitting in the press at home unneeded, while at the same time placing them out of reach of ill and elderly people who really need them.

In any case, I suspect in future shoppers will only be allowed buy a couple at a time which should help circulate stock more fairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I hear if you ask, they sell them under the counter on Moore St. Carton of Russian fags and a box of hand sanitiser, please, Agnes.

• Advertisement

I can see it's frustrating for people that would like to purchase an item that's often out of stock but I do still think it's up to each individual how they shop. If one person chooses to be well prepared and stock up I don't see the problem.
    Obviously if quotas are introduced they should be adhered to by everyone but for the moment I know that should I become ill or quarantined I want to have enough stock to be comfortable and not inconvenienced.
    I don't think it's anybody else's business what I purchase as long as I pay for it and not break any quotas if they are introduced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"they haven't made it illegal to be a ****"

it's not illegal to be a ****"
    Is that directed at me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Our local shop and pharmacist kept hand sanitizers for elderly and those unwell in the area. Its a rural area and i suppose thry know who really needs these items. These are the times when community is important.

I totally agree with pharmacies setting aside supplies for the vulnerable and elderly that's a very good policy.
    My only point is that I feel it's the more responsible thing for me to do as a late thirties lady with a full time job I'm not going to be a priority for any of the powers that be or government when it comes to policy around the current situation to stock up on anything I feel I may need to make the quarantine more comfortable for myself.
    My mother has COPD and doesn't drive so I've also been buying plenty extra supplies including sanitizer for her incase I'm not able to get to her in the coming weeks.
    My personal opinion is if you can purchase extra to look after yourself and your loved ones it's no harm at all to do so. I will hopefully not be in need of any assistance from authorities so that leaves more for them to help the more vulnerable as I've been responsible for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Yes, people can shop whatever way they wish, and others can criticise them for their selfishness if they are under 60, healthy and don't have other folk in their home who are over 70 and/or with a lung condition/diabetes/HIV or have cancer/are undergoing chemo or recently underwent it, or are otherwise immuno-compromised.

Also, to help contain the spread, everyone should have access to hand sanitiser when not in the vicinity of warm water and soap. Not much use to anyone for some to have loads and others to have none for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Well bertsmom if your mam has COPD that's different, and fair enough.

Although I don't feel that I should stockpile for myself, being low risk. I mean I have of course bought a bit extra, but a big pile of stuff isn't necessary. There are hand gel dispensers and wipes all over work too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

Your pile of hands sanitisers will be of little help when you will find yourself surrounded by people that got sick because they couldn't get one. Or, if you choose to lock yourselves in the house, you won't need them anyway. They only work if EVERYONE is using them.

I do see your point of view but this situation didn't happen overnight I've been buying extra supplies from when it first was reported in China and I believe that's no harm and a responsible thing to have done. I'm not sitting here with 50 bottles of sanitizer refusing to share, I've given plenty to my mams friends and my own friends but at the end of the day I don't think anyone from the internet is going to turn up on my or my loved ones doorstep with supplies when we need it.
    It's up to ourselves to look after our own family, friends and selves.
    Now I'm bowing out of the conversation as my shift is about to begin. All the best to everyone I do understand the opposing point of view has a lot of merit in an ideal world but maby I just see enough of the harsh reality every day to think we have to look after ourselves first. I may very well be wrong I do know that.
    Stay healthy everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yes, people can shop whatever way they wish, and others can criticise them for their selfishness if they are under 60, healthy and don't have other folk in their home who are over 70 and/or with a lung condition/diabetes/HIV or have cancer/are undergoing chemo or recently underwent it, or are otherwise immuno-compromised.

Also, to help contain the spread, everyone should have access to hand sanitiser when not in the vicinity of warm water and soap. Not much use to anyone for some to have loads and others to have none for a while.

Isn't it over 60? You also need to factor in people who are in contact with these at risk individuals, not just those who are "at home with them". You can also be under 60 and healthy but be pregnant, in which case associated fever and pneumonia can be devastating to developing baby and mother.

I've stockpiled some (think a small travel bottle that I had anyway and two large bottles to refill it when I am out and about). I don't feel bad about it - I used it all the time before the Corona outbreak anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I stockpile stuff, anything unperishable that's on special offer, that I actually use, I will make use of the offer.

I keep an eye on deals in all the supermarkets and I often go out of my way to get to the shop.

I absolutely hate paying full price for anything.

I don't really use hand sanitisers, but if I did and it was an important product for me for health reasons, I would be ensuring I had a good supply in the press at all times. Boots often have them on offer.

As for people buying handfuls of them, it's not necessarily all for themselves, it could be one for every member of their family. I certainly pick up stuff for my parents and siblings especially if I'm there buying it for myself anyway.

• Advertisement

I stockpile stuff, anything unperishable that's on special offer, that I actually use, I will make use of the offer.

I keep an eye on deals in all the supermarkets and I often go out of my way to get to the shop.

I absolutely hate paying full price for anything.

I don't really use hand sanitisers, but if I did and it was an important product for me for health reasons, I would be ensuring I had a good supply in the press at all times. Boots often have them on offer.

As for people buying handfuls of them, it's not necessarily all for themselves, it could be one for every member of their family. I certainly pick up stuff for my parents and siblings especially if I'm there buying it for myself anyway.

Same here. I tend to stockpile pet food when it is reduced (the stuff I don't import). I feed 10 rescues, so I don't feel bad about buying say ten bags/boxes of food when they are marked down 50%. I remember at one stage an animal charity was giving out on social media about pet owners bulk buying stuff on offer and not leaving any for them. I'd mixed views about it - I admire their work and feel bad for their struggles, but also since all of mine are rescues, I am essentially running a rescue/ sanctuary myself... without the fundraising proceeds and grants they get! :D

Anyway sorry off topic. OP I'm happy to gift you/ your mother one of the large bottles I have, if you want to pm me feel free. My parents are in their 70's and I would hate if they were ill and I had run out of sanitiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Well fights be cancelled to the states, uk etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

cena wrote: »

No

But cut backs may well happen as less travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

cena wrote: »

No. They won't be

Some flights are only restricted from certain majorly infected areas, like China, Korea etc to other places.

Cant see flights being cancelled in and out of ireland tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I looked it up and even if you had travel booked to northern italy you'd have a hard time getting a claim on travel insurance unless they raise the security level to avoid travel.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/

*Laya follow the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I looked it up and even if you had travel booked to northern italy you'd have a hard time getting a claim on travel insurance unless they raise the security level to avoid travel.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/

*Laya follow the above.
    I have Allianz no refunds on flights.
    I was due to fly to Verona next month, chances are they will be cancelled, flights this month are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I've got full family tickets paid for spain and germany this year. Just going to wait and see but feel like we'll have to eat the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

No. You’re still on for Monday night Raw

Recession on the way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

We do the same - if there's something you use a lot of and it's going cheap, or even if it's not going cheap and it's just non perishable, why the hell wouldn't you load up on it? Save a few bob or at the very least just cut down on your required trips to the shops. It's a no-brainer. I have 4 young kids, i can do without doing shopping every second day for the craic!

It's unfortunate that something like this has come along and caught vulnerable people out for certain things - but come on now, if something is that important to you, you really should be making sure you have a back up supply in case of emergencies.

It's not up to society at large to look out for your family for you. Any stuff we depend on there's always a few weeks worth stashed away somewhere just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 HowardBeale

What amazes me about this whole thing is it's known a strong immune system is the best defence to any infection or virus

Yet no one is focusing on strengthening their immune system with vitamin C or iodine or ginger, garlic etc. Foods, vitamins minerals etc.

Everyone focused on meaningless trivial crap like 'wipes' that do nothing or hand sprays that do nothing either for the immune system. Just money making rackets at the minute and the fear driven media hamming this thing up to hysteria levels.

How come you don't see bulk buying of vitamin C that actually fights viruses?.

People can be so illogical!

I think the whole bulk buying of hand sanitizers is insane as they don't actually do anything.
    Like a placebo if you will.

And anyway the paranoia will kill you before the virus!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Amen to that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stark wrote: »
    "they haven't made it illegal to be a ****"
    Or an ignoramus either. Observe the post one post above me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What amazes me about this whole thing is it's known a strong immune system is the best defence to any infection or virus

Yet no one is focusing on strengthening their immune system with vitamin C or iodine or ginger, garlic etc. Foods, vitamins minerals etc.

Everyone focused on meaningless trivial crap like 'wipes' that do nothing or hand sprays that do nothing either for the immune system. Just money making rackets at the minute and the fear driven media hamming this thing up to hysteria levels.

I think the whole bulk buying of hand sanitizers is insane as they don't actually do anything.

Tbf the wipes and hand gels will actually kill.the virus

It lasts for 12 hours out in open,so say if yous use ATM machine,youd want to be wiping your hand afterwards (practically its recommended to wipe when get back.to.car etc)...this is what they saying to people working in hospideals anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

One of the londis shops is selling hand sanitiser for the reasonable price of €9.95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

We do the same - if there's something you use a lot of and it's going cheap, or even if it's not going cheap and it's just non perishable, why the hell wouldn't you load up on it? Save a few bob or at the very least just cut down on your required trips to the shops. It's a no-brainer. I have 4 young kids, i can do without doing shopping every second day for the craic!

It's unfortunate that something like this has come along and caught vulnerable people out for certain things - but come on now, if something is that important to you, you really should be making sure you have a back up supply in case of emergencies.

It's not up to society at large to look out for your family for you. Any stuff we depend on there's always a few weeks worth stashed away somewhere just in case.

As long as you’re organised about it, that’s exactly the way to do it. No point buying things cheap and not using them. But bulk buying things you’ll Definitely use is a great idea.

I get all the bathroom and kitchen products in Cheap shops. As long as you’re not precious about what brands you use, you can get all the soaps, shower gels, cleaners, toothpaste etc. for cheap. All nicely arranged in a storage space so i always know what we have and what we need.

Hand sanitizer is not something I’d ever bother with except when I have a cold sore or when I’m actually sick. Dead handy when you want to avoid spreading germs you actually have. But I’ve no interest in using it all the time just in case I ever come into contact with germs. I’ll just wash my hands instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

One of the londis shops is selling hand sanitiser for the reasonable price of €9.95

Should be named and shamed for this.

I heard the UK govt are going to bring in legistlation to protect against price gouging. I hope we do the same, and quickly.

Exploiting people (especially those who are elderly or have other health issues who have the right to be genuinely afraid) is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

We were given a bottle each on each different area here at work and low and behold they were taken the next day. A girl who is in a wheelchair was given who own and she may not be able to reach the areas bottle was also taken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

SozBbz wrote: »
    Should be named and shamed for this.

I heard the UK govt are going to bring in legistlation to protect against price gouging. I hope we do the same, and quickly.

Exploiting people (especially those who are elderly or have other health issues who have the right to be genuinely afraid) is not right.

It was a londis in tallaght. there is also a video going around of a Hickeys pharmacy that is selling packs of face masks for €150. You read that right, €150.

• Advertisement

It was a londis in tallaght. there is also a video going around of a Hickeys pharmacy that is selling packs of face masks for €150. You read that right, €150.

Lloyds pharmacy were apparently selling previously priced at 1.20 bottles for 8 quid. Gougers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Actually who are you to give advice against the WHO? What are your qualifications in virology?

Sure, take Vit C if you want but saying hand sanitizers don't do anything when the WHO are advising that they're important (in conjunction with handwashing) is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Those Pharmacies and shops should be named and shamed and also boycotted going forward. I certainly won't be using Hickeys pharmacy anymore and there is one next door to me here in work but I will walk to a different pharmacy in the future for my requirements

DFA now have whole of Italy as do not travel

What price are they in Aldi and Lidl? Have they increased their prices?

Because it doesn't.

• Advertisement

SozBbz wrote: »

Sure, take Vit C if you want but saying hand sanitizers don't do anything when the WHO are advising that they're important (in conjunction with handwashing) is important.

Don't forget marinating oneself in herbs, spices and "essential oils". At least you'll leave a tasty, nice smelling corpse.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Lloyds pharmacy were apparently selling previously priced at 1.20 bottles for 8 quid. Gougers.
    Nope not true.
    I messaged them directly
    It was a totally different brand and more like something used in hospitals (though it could be got online for 3 pounds so 8 euro was still a serious markup)

gmisk wrote: »
    Nope not true.
    I messaged them directly
    It was a totally different brand and more like something used in hospitals (though it could be got online for 3 pounds so 8 euro was still a serious markup)

Oh, that's good then! :)

Going to be a huge hit in the economy as a whole and tourism.

Job loses and cut backs on the way.

Wonder will housing take a hit now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My son is due to travel to Munich at the start of the Easter break and I'm at a loss if I should let him travel. He's travelling alone using the Lufthansa unaccompanied minor service, will be picked up by family and drive to Austria. Now Austria sees a huge surge in cases every day.
    It could also very well be that Lufthansa will cancel these flights as they cut quite a number of short and medium distance flights on Europe.
    A headache I don't need at the moment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement