Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Wibbs wrote: »
    Was chatting with my local pharmacist yesterday and she was telling me of one woman she knows that has a stockpile of surgical masks who told her she hasn't opened the boxes yet, but has them "just in case" for later. She also told me they got a consignment of masks on Tuesday IIRC that were gone within the day and yet not one person has walked into the pharmacy actually wearing one. That's just how dumb some mo'fos are.
    Sounds like there's a market out there for surgical mask boxes .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Just back from Supervalu (Knocklyon). Definitely very busy, and shelves getting low on some things but they were restocking.

No problem with queues getting in or finding a parking space. Picked up my order but went in for a few more bits. There was loo roll available, but apparently ladies hygiene products are in demand, so stock up, ladies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

REM - It's the End of the World as We Know It

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Surprised nobody has suggested just keeping up with the main Covid thread in Current Affairs / IMHO. It's a full time activity all in itself!

That thread is a farce. I got roundly abused on it a couple of weeks ago and decided to walk away when i pleaded for more awareness and pro action against the virus.

Said people needed to prepare and educate themselves on what was happening in China, abused.

Said it was right to cancel the rugby, abused.

Said it was right to cancel flights from Italy, abused.

Said it was right to cancel Cheltenham, football, close the schools etc.., abused.

Good few really good posters got banned from it early doors for "creating panic" apparently. Funnily enough a renowned doctor from Denmark was on the radio yesterday saying the ridiculous push back against "panic" has caused more harm than good and lead people into a false sense of security.

Yeah but absolute sh itshow in there for a long while tbh. But sure we'll be grand, it's just a cold bro.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Can see a good album coming of all this.

Now That's What I Call a Pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Make a baby.
    2021 babies will be abundant.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Pubs possibly closed next

there would be rioting in the streets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Day Lewin wrote: »
    i confidently predict a baby boom in nine months time.

There will be many sets of twins called Corvo and Corona.

I will name my child ‘Cyrus the Virus’.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

Feisar wrote: »
    Just on the general topic, do people not keep a decent stock of stuff at home regardless of the current scenario?

I like to buy extra non perishables when they are on special offer, so am well stocked anyway. I've been stocking up more than usual over recent weeks due to what's coming. I'm in the at risk group and most likely won't survive if i catch it. I am self isolated since last week and won't be going anywhere for the duration.

I didn't panic buy yesterday as I'm well prepared already. I can see why some people did panic though. A certain proportion of the till workers are bound to get infected and pass it on before they show any symptoms. I can understand people wanting to stock up so they don't have to go near a shop for a while. Especially now that parents will be dragging their carrier kids around shopping. Not to mention the young people with mild symptoms ambling in to buy their coffee and deli sandwiches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I will name my child ‘Cyrus the Virus’.

Who becomes a pretty decent right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I did a shop in MaxiZoo for dog food. Plenty on the shelves of everything.
    My Jack Russell must have the liver friendly stuff as she is basically wrecked.
    My two dogs are on their "holidays" in the countryside as I was in hospital.
    The owner of the dog stay place told me this morning of many cancellations as the dog owners are cancelling holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Well I'm just back from a Centra in Westport.

Plenty stuff there, hand sanitizer gone of course but plenty bog roll :rolleyes: , went there because I reckoned Tesco and Lidil would still be spare/busy.

Stop panic buying folks. There is plenty in stock.

Stop panic buying. Wash your hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

BanditLuke wrote: »
    That thread is a farce. I got roundly abused on it a couple of weeks ago and decided to walk away when i pleaded for more awareness and pro action against the virus.

Said people needed to prepare and educate themselves on what was happening in China, abused.

Said it was right to cancel the rugby, abused.

Said it was right to cancel flights from Italy, abused.

Said it was right to cancel Cheltenham, football, close the schools etc.., abused.

Good few really good posters got banned from it early doors for "creating panic" apparently. Funnily enough a renowned doctor from Denmark was on the radio yesterday saying the ridiculous push back against "panic" has caused more harm than good and lead people into a false sense of security.

Yeah but absolute sh itshow in there for a long while tbh. But sure we'll be grand, it's just a cold bro.

I think opinions have swung around significantly now. There might still be a certain amouny of normalcy bias but people are taking it far more seriously now. I think the current restrictions are only the thin edge of the wedge both in duration and extent of the restrictions we're going to see.

What's the saying? - a prophet has no honour in his own country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Dont worry. Chuck Norris has got this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    As Richard Dawkins says - we all possess a selfish gene. It's in our nature to often put ourselves first if there's a risk of resources becoming limited.

If you are stockpiling and everyone knows it, surely you are putting yourself at risk as those without will be making for your doors or windows if supplies run out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

JoChervil wrote: »
    I don't think they are incompetent. There were no tests for corona available in December to check it...

Yes but they attributed the increase in cases to flu. So they'd have to be pretty incompetent if it turned out to be a virus from a different family of viruses.

If it had been a 25% increase in cases of unexplained pneumonia then there might be more reason to suspect it was coronavirus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Find a good box set to watch
    Read a book (if your the kind of nerd whose into books)
    Watch classic sporting videos on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Dont worry. Chuck Norris has got this.

`You don't **** with Chuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lundstram wrote: »
    What business is it of yours what others do? Stay at home until it's all over if you're that concerned.

Why should people become housebound because a bunch of selfish knuckle draggers want to disregard expert advice and attend this non obligatory social event ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    As Richard Dawkins says - we all possess a selfish gene.
    He doesn’t say that. You just read the title, didn’t you? Not the actual book?

:D

• Advertisement

I think opinions have swung around significantly now. There might still be a certain amouny of normalcy bias but people are taking it far more seriously now. I think the current restrictions are only the thin edge of the wedge both in duration and extent of the restrictions we're going to see.

What's the saying? - a prophet has no honour in his own country.

They aren't taking it seriously enough. Local playground this morning packed with kids and parents. Fcukwits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The company I work for have just announced that anybody returning from Cheltenham is not to return to work for a minimum of 2 weeks.

You were banned for your comments on the Horse Racing forum.

I know and you've said that repeatedly. Do you actually have a point?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The company I work for have just announced that anybody returning from Cheltenham is not to return to work for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Excellent news. Hopefully without pay though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

gct wrote: »
    I had what I thought was a cold/flu just before Christmas.
    You had a cold. If you had flu you’d know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

xzanti wrote: »
    Can see a good album coming of all this.

Now That's What I Call a Pandemic.

I think dynomutt can manage that on his own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Why?

You can't do that. That would leave the employer open to several lawsuits, without a leg to stand on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

MOR316 wrote: »
    Why?

You can't do that. That would leave the employer open to several lawsuits, without a leg to stand on

They'll get paid under the company sick-pay scheme. They are also advised to self-isolate but obvously the company can't control that aspect of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve seen it first hand, in my grander circle of friends there are two of us who have zero interest in horse racing, the other four would be big into it as in time off for Cheltnam etc. if you ever tried to interrupt a racing conversation or stop to say hi as they are on the way rushing to the bookies they have a rabid far away scary stare... it’s a type of addiction, adventure and obsession. In normal aspects of life the most reasoned, reasonable and relaxed people, always found it odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I did a shop in MaxiZoo for dog food. Plenty on the shelves of everything.
    My Jack Russell must have the liver friendly stuff as she is basically wrecked.
    My two dogs are on their "holidays" in the countryside as I was in hospital.
    The owner of the dog stay place told me this morning of many cancellations as the dog owners are cancelling holidays.

Yeah but what do you think I am going to eat dog food or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Surprised nobody has suggested just keeping up with the main Covid thread in Current Affairs / IMHO. It's a full time activity all in itself!

I spent the last three days lying on the couch, laptop on chest, scrolling through that thread. Endless. It became addictive and actually made my mental state worse.

Today's the first day I've been off it and I feel way more positive. Sure, everything is going to sh!t but at least I'm not reading about it for 8 hours. I've got my shop in, the kids are home, I've nowhere to be for the next 2 - 3 weeks, and that's all I can do.

Did you bring the travel scrabble Dougal?

I'm going to go to my local Aldi and start pulling stuff out of people's trolleys, possession = 9/10ths of the law at the moment.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Football going ahead is dumb, but what makes Cheltenham particularly dumb and people should have known better to travel, is that tens of thousands of people will be congregating for 5 days straight, all day long, huge amounts of grubby cash being passed around, then the ancillary brazzers, cocaine and p*ssups for the entire week. It was wreckless to let it go ahead, but it was also wreckless to travel to it.

Sorry not sorry if the betting shop types are upset with that assessment.

Love when posters get all hot and bothered without knowing basic facts. Fact is that it's a 4 day festival, not 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

High-end poker games.

And by high-end, I mean playing for toilet paper.

High-end poker games.

And by high-end, I mean playing for toilet paper.

Rear-end poker games!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So I thought that I would kick off a thread about people acting the complete maggot during this Covid-19 pandemic situation.

First one up - a 30 year old Dutchman, on a flight from Amsterdam to Dublin, has been jailed for causing pandemonium on the Aer Lingus flight after he told cabin crew that he needed to stay on his mobile phone call to his mother as she had the virus.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0312/1121915-hoax-covid-19-aer-lingus/

Complete tool who got what he deserved.

I know it's an individual but what makes me laugh about those Dutch is that they're normally the first people to tut and scold anybody for acting 'out of line'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

no.8 wrote: »
    That's a very odd philosophy. Im sure you would wear one if you knew those walking around you had it. Its not only the risk of you getting it, it's the risk of you passing it on.

not sure why you are sure of that because no I wouldnt wear one if everyone else had it, id rather just get it and have it over with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

If you are stockpiling and everyone knows it, surely you are putting yourself at risk as those without will be making for your doors or windows if supplies run out

That's if people know you are stockpiling. Even trickier if you have eaten half the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Rear-end poker games!

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Firstly jockeys don't use a true whip like in dressage. (and no dressage whips are not cruel either but there is a technical difference between a whip and a crop) They use a crop. They also padded as far as i know.

They are made of fiber glass and very flexible to absorb force.

They don't hurt the horse. They are an aid just like the leg your seat your hands and your voice.

They are not that different from the types of crops you will see at every riding school in the country. I have used them myself. Used correctly they are not painful and not cruel. And i didn't use a padded one.

I am not vermin. I just know how to use a crop. :rolleyes: Its also for steering and getting the horse's shoulders schooled behind the nose etc.

As far as i know jockeys can't hit the tummy ...only the quarters and shoulder ...

If you think they hurt ...go slap yourself with one and see. (I have ....we used to chase each other round with them ...the correct whips don't hurt).

Why in the name of god if we whipped horses until it hurt would they not try and buck us off?

Have you ever seen a horse react to a bee sting??? I have been on a horse that got stung in the rump by some flying insect ...he went bucking mental!

Have you seen horses out in the field they bite kick etc and that's just playing!

Every kid in a riding school uses a crop.

If you want to help improve racing ..ask them to start backing horses later and older.
    No horse should race until 4/5

Does it hurt when their legs break during a race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wibbs wrote: »
    She also told me they got a consignment of masks on Tuesday IIRC that were gone within the day and yet not one person has walked into the pharmacy actually wearing one. That's just how dumb some mo'fos are.

I know you love your stories and all, but why would someone who has just been to the pharmacy be back again so soon?
    i.e. Why would you expect the people who bought the masks on a Tuesday to be the same people coming back in since then?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Limitting shopping to basket use only should be applied until this calms down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Antares35 wrote: »
    We were lucky we had done our usual "big" fortnightly shop on Sunday, so we didn't really need anything except some oranges and grapefruits for juicing and nice crusty white bread that I tend to buy fresh as it doesn't freeze well. J*sus the place was decimated. Only pears and venison steaks left.

Popped into the local Supervalu on the way to work this morning and everything was re-stocked. There was nobody panic buying. The only reason I would stock up is to enable me to avoid the shops over the next while. Will be working from home and having lectures streamed, so if the shopping is in, no need to go near the hysterical crowds in shops :) Am quite looking forward to the break from interactions :P

I really think if people tried hard enough, most houses in the country would have a months supply of food - just need to be a bit creative.[/QUOTE]

But why? there is literally no need to do that?

Shops are NOT going to run out of stock, maybe 24 hrs max.

The only reason people freaked last night was because the Government rightly decided to close down institutions and public amenities; the country as a whole has not shut down. The lights are still going to be on this time next week. :rolleyes:

It is inevitable that over the next while the decision to ask people to remain at home on lockdown will happen. Access to shopping would be very limited at that stage.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Does it hurt when their legs break during a race?

We'll never know. They don't live to tell the tale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Why? It’s every man for themselves. You snooze you lose!!!!!!

It’s the apocalypse people!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I don't know, I think people need to learn from their mistakes. Let them off.
    They'll know how idiotic they were when they are binning it while the shops are fully stocked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

GreeBo wrote: »
    I know you love your stories and all, but why would someone who has just been to the pharmacy be back again so soon?
    i.e. Why would you expect the people who bought the masks on a Tuesday to be the same people coming back in since then?:confused:
    Simple. Small local pharmacy with regular repeat customers, such as people with chronic illness, or carers of same(when I was the latter I'd often be in twice a week and it's how I got to know the staff). And of course a fair chunk of the usual hypochondriacs. Plus they got masks before they got a delivery of hand sanitiser. Generally the same people panic buying masks are panic buying hand sanitiser(and apparently paracetamol, with a side order of latex gloves), so repeat visits.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I thought Covid-19 is a new strain? I get the flu shot annually and the flu shot wouldn't cover this. I usually get colds easily too but I didn't even get a sniffle this winter. I had some bad hayfever and asthma two years ago. If Covid-19 was doing the rounds, surely it would have set up camp in my lungs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement