Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No anti bacterial wipes left in any shop today .I bought cheap own brand baby wipes and a large bottle of Dettol .I will pour the dettol over the wipes and uses them to wipe down surfaces .Just a thought if anyone is looking for wipes .
    I also brought my own wipe to Lidl and Dunnes as neither had any facilities to clean the trolly handle .Fair play to Super Valu they had wipes and spray at the door .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

SozBbz wrote: »
    All of this, plus they don't cover your eyes, so again not giving real protection.

Also, they're more effective preventing sick people from passing the virus than protecting the uninfected. So if we do only have a limited amount, arent they better being used by said sick people? Or for medical professinals who have to get up close and personal with those already infected?

Keep your distance, wash your hands and be sensible.

Not giving complete protection perhaps, as opposed to "real protection". They will protect against air borne particles being ingested into the mouth and nose.

The argument about improper use negating efficacy could equally be applied to the use of masks by those who are infected.

"Sensible" to me would be using a face mask if I had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    No anti bacterial wipes left in any shop today .I bought cheap own brand baby wipes and a large bottle of Dettol .I will pour the dettol over the wipes and uses them to wipe down surfaces .Just a thought if anyone is looking for wipes .
    I also brought my own wipe to Lidl and Dunnes as neither had any facilities to clean the trolly handle .Fair play to Super Valu they had wipes and spray at the door .

Great idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It's anti viral stuff that would be best though, yet nearly every disinfecting agent is anti bacterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Raconteuse wrote: »
    It's anti viral stuff that would be best though, yet nearly every disinfecting agent is anti bacterial.

Was told today a spritz of vodka on the hands would work as a last resort, don't know how true this it, though being alcohol maybe..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

leeside11 wrote: »
    Was told today a spritz of vodka on the hands would work as a last resort, don't know how true this it, though being alcohol maybe..
    Alcohol content isn't high enough in most vodkas cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

sioda wrote: »
    Alcohol content isn't high enough in most vodkas cases

They say the alcohol needs to be at least 60%. Most vodka is sold at 35-40%.

Of it comes time to wash your hands with vodka, it's time to stay home for a fortnight and make a fort out of all the toilet roles you've stockpiled and count your tins of butter beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

Raconteuse wrote: »

Example of an antibacterial is alcohol. It also works against many Viruses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hand sanitizers are for when you are out during the day and cannot wash your hands regularly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

New Busta Rhymes song. It's called 'Wuhan! I got them all in check'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

So, apart from panic buying extra loo-roll, how have your habits changed in recognition of the fact that Covid-19 is now lurking in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

How have your arse

My mother was always a germ freak.

I now carry 100% alcohol around for when i am unable to find a place to wash my hands. It smells weird like ..medicine mouth wash and pure strong booze....so i smell weird.

I am going to start wearing a mask in public places soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

My habits haven't at all since the Covid-19 outbreak. Not even slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Having a look on eBay for a nice ham radio transceiver

Anyone seen a post apocalyptic film that doesn't feature one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Washing my hand a lot more, the skin is starting to get a bit sore, like my old O.C.D. days.
    Also keeping public transport use down to the bare minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Started preparing mid-January when Wuhan was getting bad. We always have about two months of supplies but did three big shops between then and a week ago. We had stocked up on all essentials by then and haven't left the house since, except once to run a few errands on Monday. Wore disposable gloves, sprayed all clothes and everything that had been in contact with the outside (cash from the bank, lots of bottles of alcohol) with bleach and antiseptic and wiped down with disinfectant wipes, including clothes and shoes. Left everything in the hall to ensure any virus was dead before bringing it inside.

Might be over-cautious, don't really care. We have three immunocompromised here so taking no chances. Seven days since we've been anywhere and we're doing grand. I love staying home and gardening, playing music, reading, writing, talking to friends and family online. I've done a good bit of work from home but nothing too strenuous. Mostly I'm just planting and harvesting veg, prepping meals for the freezers, baking, relaxing, writing songs and stuff like that.

Never used to watch the news or listen to the radio but we're regular viewers at the moment, we yell at it like it's a sporting event as the facts being given by officials are in opposition to what's in peer-reviewed journals or reported facts by journalists. Quite surprised the apocalypse started like this and not optimistic for humanity, but I think with a support network, anyone can be optimistic and enjoy life.

Predictions for this time 2021 - probably a dystopian bureaucratic dictatorship, I'm starting a rebellion front in advance of this development if anyone wants to drop me a pm.

I wash my hands a great deal more. If I drive somewhere, I use sanitzer before I get back in the car so I don't smear anything all over the steering wheel, and I wash my hands as soon as I get home, before I eat or prepare food, as well as the usual times. I avoid public bathrooms, and the supermarket is the most crowded place I've been to. I've stocked up a bit on the staples, hopefully unnecessarily.

ETA: anyone who uses cash should consider switching to contactless or using their phone to pay for purchases. Money is filthy at the best of times and best avoided more than ever now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Changes? I’ve been taking the piss out of pointless panic buying by fcuking idiots.

That’s about it, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I used to cough to hide a fart. Now I fart to hide a cough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

endacl wrote: »
    Changes? I’ve been taking the piss out of pointless panic buying by fcuking idiots.

That’s about it, really.
    Remember that attitude when you're begging Candie for staples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Guy Person wrote: »
    Remember that attitude when you're begging Candie for staples.
    I’ve loads of staples.

Be grand.

The panic buying is getting really annoying. I went into Tesco's today to buy a pack of Andrex and the shelves were nearly bare. Only twelve packs left, so I bought them all, just in case. A lot of very selfish people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

No changes here really, i haven't done any extra buying but an elderly neighbour up the road has enough to feed a junior B hurling team the morning after winning the championship, so if things get tough ill just go up and take some of hers, I'm a foot taller and about 6 stone heavier than her so she shouldn't be a problem

• Advertisement

I am not hoarding food etc. I think that is selfish and will make things worse.

I am taking precautions. Not wearing clothes more than one day...hot washes ( i do that anyway).

Washing things that i have put on public surfaces or floors.

Bringing hand sanitizers. Not using public transport. (not everyone has that option though)

I will wear a mask...i just feel conscious about it.

I'm not so sure it is pointless to stock up a bit, at least not for everyone. I'm about to have a baby in the next couple of weeks, the last thing I want to do is be in a position where I'm out of essentials when I've a newborn to think of. I can't take the risk of being too ill myself to parent a newborn , if I can possibly avoid it. I know young children have an easier time of this virus, but I can't know for absolute certain until my baby arrives if he has any health issues that could make him vulnerable. My husband works in a hospital, he could be infected or isolated at any point so I can't depend on that not changing either.

It's all fine if you're not vulnerable yourself or responsible for a vulnerable person, but if you are it's sensible to cover your bases. Not to an hysterical extent, just a sensible extent.

No changes here really, i haven't done any extra buying but an elderly neighbour up the road has enough to feed a junior B hurling team the morning after winning the championship, so if things get tough ill just go up and take some of hers, I'm a foot taller and about 6 stone heavier than her so she shouldn't be a problem
    Don't be fooled old ladies are tough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

I openly cough in queues.
    Don't wash my hands at all, even after wiping my arse.
    I spread misinformation to gullible people, Corona is everywhere, we need to panic buy everything now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Seamai wrote: »
    Washing my hand a lot more, the skin is starting to get a bit sore, like my old O.C.D. days.
    Also keeping public transport use down to the bare minimum.

For anyone who finds their hands getting sore, for goodness sake use a moisturiser.
    If the skin integrity on your hands breaks down, you're more at risk of picking up any and all germs.

• Advertisement

I openly cough in queues.
    Don't wash my hands at all, even after wiping my arse.
    I spread misinformation to gullible people, Corona is everywhere, we need to panic buy everything now.

Ah sure you have to have your fun!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I now greet every person I dislike with a concerned face and, in a hushed tone, inform them that they look very peaky. When I see the fear in their eyes I enquire if they've been ill, whilst slowly backing away and dousing myself in sanitiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I fart rather than cough

I now greet every person I dislike with a concerned face and, in a hushed tone, inform them that they look very peaky. When I see the fear in their eyes I enquire if they've been ill, whilst slowly backing away and dousing myself in sanitiser.

Just cough in their faces. Then even if you don't give them Covid19, there's still the chance you give them a heart attack.

This is only for those you really dislike though, or those you owe money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Candie wrote: »
    I wash my hands a great deal more. If I drive somewhere, I use sanitzer before I get back in the car so I don't smear anything all over the steering wheel, and I wash my hands as soon as I get home, before I eat or prepare food, as well as the usual times. I avoid public bathrooms, and the supermarket is the most crowded place I've been to. I've stocked up a bit on the staples, hopefully unnecessarily.

ETA: anyone who uses cash should consider switching to contactless or using their phone to pay for purchases. Money is filthy at the best of times and best avoided more than ever now.
    Also remember to clean your phone they can be filthy too!
    Similar enough to this the extra handwashing is wrecking my hands. I can recommend Garnier body repair hand cream though it has made a huge difference my knuckles especially were in bits, on offer in boots for 3ish euro.
    No hand shaking either.

Well, when I'm lying in a bath of pasta every evening, I think I'll have the last laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I am taking precautions. Not wearing clothes more than one day...hot washes ( i do that anyway).

Washing things that i have put on public surfaces or floors.

Bringing hand sanitizers. Not using public transport. (not everyone has that option though)

I will wear a mask...i just feel conscious about it.

There's no need to wear a mask.

Most are useless and you'd only need one if you're carrying the virus and to stop you spreading it, they won't stop you getting it.

Also, washing clothes. If the virus is on the clothes then you have the virus too so I don't see the point in washing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Candie wrote: »

Yup, putting your phone against a card machine is a much cleaner option.....

gmisk wrote: »
    Also remember to clean your phone they can be filthy too!
    Similar enough to this the extra handwashing is wrecking my hands. I can recommend Garnier body repair hand cream though it has made a huge difference my knuckles especially were in bits, on offer in boots for 3ish euro.
    No hand shaking either.

Also remote controls. Either put them in a ziplock bag when other people are using them or when you are, and wipe them down often. Lightswitches need a wipe down too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Well, when I'm lying in a bath of pasta every evening, I think I'll have the last laugh.
    I'm making my clothes from toilet paper...that's why everyone else was bulk buying them I assume

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »

You don't have to actually touch it with the phone. That's why it's called 'contactless'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

After reading this thread I will be driving to every county and buying all the staples in stock in each.

You won't see me rushing around with loose sheets of paper when society breaks down.

It's much easier to wipe a phone than wipe cash. As anyone who has ever had to clean security dye from thousands of banknotes will be only too aware. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Sweat flavour.

Gross

Pasta a la body juices

Rufeo wrote: »
    Sweat flavour.

Gross

Pasta a la body juices

I have a peculiar medical condition that prevents me from sweating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I would have thought anybody that's not an utter minger and has working bowels and a bladder would have been washing their hands 5-6 times a day anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You don't touch the machine.

Also, you will not get a Coronavirus from your phone.

It would need to be in contact with lots of people and objects for that too happen and then you'd have been in the same places and most likely have breathed it in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭stinger31

Has anyone on here lost their job yet because of the Coronavirus? and if so what area/sector were you in?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/coronavirus-unprecedented-threat-and-already-causing-job-losses-tourism-ireland-chief-39036943.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Kissogram here, things are looking rough.

But I do mouth to mouth resuscitation classes part-time, so I can fallback on something at least. Happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Upgraded the telescope

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement