Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Laptop - Will it take Windows 10 Pro

Options
  • 12-03-2020 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Working in a company and the boss is worried that if we buy Windows 10 Home OS laptops that MS or the laptop manufacturer have something in place in the chipset that prevents Windows 10 Pro OS installation.
    Is this true?

I am of the opinion that you can install whatever the hell you want on the laptop...Linux/Unix, Windows...etc?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Your boss is wrong. Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro is trivial. However, it's often cheaper to buy the Pro version of a laptop than it is to buy the home version and the Pro licence separately

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Please tell me your company has nothing to do with IT

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Please tell me your company has nothing to do with IT

I wish i could tell you no...but he is the ICT Manager... !

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

28064212 wrote: »
    Your boss is wrong. Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro is trivial. However, it's often cheaper to buy the Pro version of a laptop than it is to buy the home version and the Pro licence separately

Thanks for that. No, i think the IT Dept has MS licensing...he is just going out buying Win 10 Home Laptops..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

by chance is he talking about bitlocker? Windows 10 homes does not support bitlocker and in theory you could a laptop that had Windows 10 home but no TPM (unlikely but possible) so when you upgrade to Window 10 pro you cannot encrypt it which maybe (and should be) company policy.

As others said changing Windows 10 home to pro is a few simple steps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement