Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Lc2020 wrote: »
    Ironically the Irish government made a decision to cancel the orals and practicals that was heavily based on economics. So one is just as bad as the other.

Ridiculous post. Catch yourself on. There isn't a tax payer in the country that would give a rats about the govt choosing to spend money on testing kits and ventilators over rounding up a couple of extra examiners for the LC. So even if they were making their decision based on economics, they've made the right one.
    I would hate to see an announcement made anytime soon about the junior cert being cancelled. Whatever chance I have of getting my third years to tip along with a bit of work over the next few weeks, it would be zero if they weren’t working towards something.

I know! This would be my worry too! I think even a hint of it is going to have the wrong effect on some of mine!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Lc2020

Shn99 wrote: »
    If your such an expert in this lane, you better get onto the SEC to become their next exam advisor, and for the record they have a job listing for a new Chief Exec too!

It doesn't take great intelligence to add two and two together.

Student goes into school, one at a time. Examiner sits at least 2 metres from pupil. Student gets the marks they deserve and examiner gets paid. Such a facility was offered to students across the country who forgot to bring home their books. My own school was open yesterday for two hours. A maximum of two students were allowed in at any one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

It doesn't take great intelligence to add two and two together.

Student goes into school, one at a time. Examiner sits at least 2 metres from pupil. Student gets the marks they deserve and examiner gets paid. Such a facility was offered to students across the country who forgot to bring home their books. My own school was open yesterday for two hours. A maximum of two students were allowed in at any one time.

Meanwhile examiner is forced to face 120 students....

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Ridiculous post. Catch yourself on. There isn't a tax payer in the country that would give a rats about the govt choosing to spend money on testing kits and ventilators over rounding up a couple of extra examiners for the LC. So even if they were making their decision based on economics, they've made the right one.

I'm suggesting how the government arrived at the decision to cancel the exams. Most people are of the opinion that it would be logistically impossible to examine students. I do not see eye to eye with that.

Meanwhile examiner is forced to face 120 students....

2 metres apart. Social distancing measures will be adhered to. Obviously any student who is feeling sick or has travelled recently will do the exam another time. Greater chance of the examiner catching the virus in a shop.

• Advertisement

2 metres apart. Social distancing measures will be adhered to. Obviously any student who is feeling sick or has travelled recently will do the exam another time. Greater chance of the examiner catching the virus in a shop.

So examiner in same room as 120 students (taking numbers in my school as example) . All sitting in same chair/touching same door handle unless someone is disinfecting the room between students. 2meters doesn't help if someone sneezes for example. As well as the fact that students can be asymptomatic. How about examiners/students who are vulnerable because of age/pregnancy/underlying health issues?

Anyway, you would be much better offspending this energy either sending letter/email to the dept/sec outlining your concerns if you want them to have a chance of being heard or better still, go do some study/work onwhat your teachers have set you. No one here can change the situation. It is awful, but lives are quite literally at stake, so while I feel it is unfair I do believe that they have done their best under given circumstances. You need to look beyond your own reality at the bigger picture, frustrating as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

So examiner in same room as 120 students (taking numbers in my school as example) . All sitting in same chair/touching same door handle unless someone is disinfecting the room between students. 2meters doesn't help if someone sneezes for example. As well as the fact that students can be asymptomatic. How about examiners/students who are vulnerable because of age/pregnancy/underlying health issues?

Anyway, you would be much better offspending this energy either sending letter/email to the dept/sec outlining your concerns if you want them to have a chance of being heard or better still, go do some study/work onwhat your teachers have set you. No one here can change the situation. It is awful, but lives are quite literally at stake, so while I feel it is unfair I do believe that they have done their best under given circumstances. You need to look beyond your own reality at the bigger picture, frustrating as it is.

And the fact that we don’t even know if social distancing is effective!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Bruh Idk why you're complaining like, be happy you got 100% and don't have to do those straith pictures, i would kill if I got 100% without having to do anything.

You're on here complaining, when you should be studying for the written exams, whenever they are. You can't change whats happened, so get over it. I'm sure the DEP took what you said as an option, but right now I think people's safety is better than a bloody oral exam you've already passed!!

Now you can focus on the written, and with 40% already in the bag, study to get the extra 60% in the written!! please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'm suggesting how the government arrived at the decision to cancel the exams. Most people are of the opinion that it would be logistically impossible to examine students. I do not see eye to eye with that.

I don't think that people do believe that it is logistically impossible.

People agree that it could be done. The problems with that though are the following:

1. If the SEC say they are going to postpone, students would (understandably) go into meltdown, because the most the SEC could tell you right now would be that they will be postponed. When will they happen? Nobody knows. Soon. That would be very stressful for both students and teachers. As a language teacher myself, at least I now know to focus on grammar and written work, instead of having to take a gamble and continue to assign oral work to my students on the chance that they *might* have the oral in a few weeks, only to (say for example) get back into work in April and be told they are happening in July and then I start to panic because they will have forgotten everything they spent weeks learning in March, now I have to cover all the tenses in a month and go back to furiously prepping the oral again.

2. Nobody knows when we are going to be through with Covid19. The Euros (scheduled for June) are postponed. People are calling for the Olympics to be postponed and they aren't on until 24th July. We don't even know if there will be written LC exams in June yet. What happens if the SEC say they will postpone and then they have to cancel in June anyway. People will be very very annoyed. More so than they are now.

3. I honestly believe that if the SEC said the orals would go ahead in a month or two and that social distancing measures would be put into place, just as many folk would be raging about that as they are about them being cancelled. Parents are stressed out (understandably) and schools are already feeling the brunt of that over the amount of work they are sending home to students. If the SEC weren't seen to be taking the wellbeing (new buzzword) of students into account, they'd have been crucified.

4. Like it or not, if they did go ahead and you all had to be staggered so far apart to comply with social distancing requirements, this would require more public expenditure. That money is needed elsewhere right now.

I understand your frustrations. As a language teacher I share them and when I first heard the minister speak, there were about 30seconds where everything you are saying went through my head. But ... these are exceptional times and while it might not seem fair to you, as was pointed out a couple of posts before mine, life isn't always fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I would have thought that oral exams would pose less of a risk that the written exams. If supermarkets can manage it then why couldn't the SEC organise a system wherby one student would be let into the school at a time etc. It's not rocket science.
    The decision made yesterday is devoid of reason and logic.

I know from talking to other teachers that some principals would have been unwilling to do this when we were heading for shutdown, some examiners would have been unwilling to examine. Remember you as a student are only going to meet one examiner. They could be examining up to 40 students per day and it is known that younger people can be vectors for the virus without showing any symptoms. It's not just about the students' health which you seem to forget. Also there would have been a cohort of parents who would not have allowed their sons and daughters into school for the oral the way things stand. It's pointless running and half in, half out situation.

• Advertisement

Students will use Irish for matriculation purposes. Students looking to pass English/Irish to get into say TCD, have fulfilled their requirements without any formal exam. Fair? Not at all.

To say this won't disadvantage students is incorrect. You can be assured the marking scheme will be ruthless for students, which only adds to our worries.

How many people are there sitting the Leaving Cert who are exclusively using Irish to matriculate? Seriously? And also consider that in the vast majority of courses, bar primary school teaching or a degree in Irish, it will not be used by any of these students. You need Irish to matriculate in NUIG to do an engineering course in which you will never use Irish. Also if a student has an exemption from Irish they can matriculate without it, so I don't see the problem here.

And given that TCD is one of the most popular colleges in the course, almost all of their courses are in the 500 points range. Matriculating in Irish is not the biggest hurdle to getting into TCD. Getting 6 odd H2s to get the points for your chosen course is. It sounds like you are just looking to be outraged at this stage. Your time would be better spent studying for the written portion of the Irish exam so you can get the H1.

I assume the SEC will adjust the leaving cert fee considering practicals/orals will not take place. What with economics not being a factor in the decision..

The Leaving Cert is a flat fee regardless of how many subjects you sit. The €116 wouldn't even cover the cost of having the papers for your seven subjects marked, never mind the cost of orals etc.

Points will inevitably skyrocket for courses if Joe McHugh has his way.

At this point you should read your CAO handbook as you don't have a firm grasp on how the points system works. No doubt you'll be one of the ones on here in August whinging about not getting your third choice which you wanted more than your first choice but you didn't put it down because you didn't think you would get the points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Red_Open

I'm wondering if anyone has found any good solutions for teaching maths/physics online? We've been set up with google classroom but I'm finding it difficult to record videos of examples. I've been using my phone and a sheet of paper so far, but my hand isn't very steady these days so I'm looking for other solutions.

Thanks!

Plenty of people came back from Cheltenham last weekend, do you think they are all going to self isolate?? You can apply the exact same to students. There are plenty of reports of large groups of teenagers meeting up now that they are off school. Some do not give a rat's ass about what is going on and neither do their families. So some will be carriers of the virus and would end up doing their oral and potentially infecting the examiner or any other person they meet.

Also running orals and going in to collect your books is not the same thing. You are not obliged to go in and collect your books, it's a choice that has been made available to you. If the orals ran next week you would not have a choice in the matter, and even though there might be a policy in the building of only 2 people in at any one time, you cannot guarantee that those students won't all congregate outside the school to catch up with each other or do a post mortem of the oral.

At this point you should read your CAO handbook as you don't have a firm grasp on how the points system works. No doubt you'll be one of the ones on here in August whinging about not getting your third choice which you wanted more than your first choice but you didn't put it down because you didn't think you would get the points.

Sorry what? Economics 101 supply and demand.

The leaving cert 2020 class should in theory do considerably better than any other year if what Joe McHugh said is to be believed-that the same marking scheme will be applied. I know for a fact they'll be very sly and ruthless when curating the marking scheme.

Although this merciless form of marking will undoubtedly be applied, I suspect students will do better than their 2019 counterparts. Hence, points will rise.

Red_Open wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anyone has found any good solutions for teaching maths/physics online? We've been set up with google classroom but I'm finding it difficult to record videos of examples. I've been using my phone and a sheet of paper so far, but my hand isn't very steady these days so I'm looking for other solutions.

Thanks!

Those are my subjects and that's exactly what I'm doing. I only had one topic left in maths which was constructions, so filming and drawing with one hand is fast becoming my new skill! I have a GoPro and tripod which would be perfect for this but my gopro and laptop don't get along a lot of the time. I'm considering getting a small tripod for my phone so I can use two hands, and continue drawing/ doing calculations on a refill pad, but I also have a small whiteboard at home which I could use and point the camera at that.

Sorry what? Economics 101 supply and demand.

The leaving cert 2020 class should in theory do considerably better than any other year if what Joe McHugh said is to be believed-that the same marking scheme will be applied. I know for a fact they'll be very sly and ruthless when curating the marking scheme.

Although this merciless form of marking will undoubtedly be applied, I suspect students will do better than their 2019 counterparts. Hence, points will rise.

How do you know this for a fact????

You know there are a whole heap of junior cert home economics students who had their practical cancelled yesterday. You should contact some of them to see if they have any spare tinfoil going for the industrial size hat you're going to need.

How do you know this for a fact????

You know there are a whole heap of junior cert home economics students who had their practical cancelled yesterday. You should contact some of them to see if they have any spare tinfoil going for the industrial size hat you're going to need.

It isn't by sheer coincidence that leaving cert grades don't flunctuate too greatly from year to year. It's a known fact that a bell curve marking system is applied. It's not some conspiracy theory.

A tripod is a great idea, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks!

I’m using the screen record function on my iPad for maths recording audio as I do the questions and have ordered this for music composition because I prefer using a pencil

Tryone Gooseneck Phone Holder - Flexible Arm Mount Stand for iPhone Series/Samsung Cellphones/Google Pixel and more, 27.5in Overall Length https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077QLQ3PB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1QuDEb3QAD6SY

A tripod is a great idea, thanks!

I've just had a look at the argos website. I got a go pro tripod there recently.

They have a mini smartphone tripod which is 17.99 which would do the job.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7162226/Trail/searchtext%3ETRIPOD.htm

I’m using the screen record function on my iPad for maths recording audio as I do the questions and have ordered this for music composition because I prefer using a pencil

Tryone Gooseneck Phone Holder - Flexible Arm Mount Stand for iPhone Series/Samsung Cellphones/Google Pixel and more, 27.5in Overall Length https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077QLQ3PB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1QuDEb3QAD6SY

I don't have an iPad but the stand might be more within my budget, thanks!

I like the look of that phone holder. It would clamp onto my kitchen table too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Thanks!

I write my examples out on a refill pad and use pdf scanner app to take a picture of them. I then email them to myself and use screencast software where I scroll through my notes explaining as I go along. I then upload to my YouTube channel and share the link to the kids as well as send them the pdf. Not the most streamlined solution but having a YouTube channel could prove worthwhile as a resource for the future. I'd never have the time to do otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I write my examples out on a refill pad and use pdf scanner app to take a picture of them. I then email them to myself and use screencast software where I scroll through my notes explaining as I go along. I then upload to my YouTube channel and share the link to the kids as well as send them the pdf. Not the most streamlined solution but having a YouTube channel could prove worthwhile as a resource for the future. I'd never have the time to do otherwise.

Jessu!
    I'm exhausted just reading how you do that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The only platforms teachers should be using are those used by the school. Mostly Office 365 and Google classroom across Ireland. No social media sites should be used. RTE had to pull a segment on a teacher using Instagram of all things

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The only platforms teachers should be using are those used by the school. Mostly Office 365 and Google classroom across Ireland. No social media sites should be used. RTE had to pull a segment on a teacher using Instagram of all things

I actually saw that segment and was wondering what was going on with it? Just seems unwise to contact students via social media. Also wondered what the wider implications would be in relation to child safety and GDPR. I have no doubt that teacher had her student's best interests at heart but I was uncomfortable watching it.

I've made contact with the SEC and the department and will keep you updated, not that I expect a response anytime soon.

You heard it here first, many students will take legal action against the state as they feel hard done by.

Seeing as though I've been villified for suggesting a pretty sound alternative solution this is what I suggest.
    Students have the option to take the oral exam, when things improve. Students who do not wish to avail of this option will be marked solely on their exam in June. Students who wish to do the oral, will be provided with this opportunity in due course after the exams in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I've made contact with the SEC and the department and will keep you updated, not that I expect a response anytime soon.

You heard it here first, many students will take legal action against the state as they feel hard done by.

Seeing as though I've been villified for suggesting a pretty sound alternative solution this is what I suggest.
    Students have the option to take the oral exam, when things improve. Students who do not wish to avail of this option will be marked solely on their exam in June. Students who wish to do the oral, will be provided with this opportunity in due course after the exams in June.

LC students have probably burnt or binned their sraith pictuir books ect. Im friends with people who were gutted considering the work they put in, but they got over it. Life goes on...we don't all get our way. Your time would be much better spent studying for your written exams in your 6/7 other subjects...maybe even volunteering to help the elderly or vunerable during this public health crisis

I actually saw that segment and was wondering what was going on with it? Just seems unwise to contact students via social media. Also wondered what the wider implications would be in relation to child safety and GDPR. I have no doubt that teacher had her student's best interests at heart but I was uncomfortable watching it.

Actually I just read the written article on the rte page about this segment. Perhaps it isn't the issue I thought it was. Saying that I still wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself. I can't really verbalise why...

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1123815/

LC students have probably burnt or binned their sraith pictuir books ect. Im friends with people who were gutted considering the work they put in, but they got over it. Life goes on...we don't all get our way. Your time would be much better spent studying for your written exams in your 6/7 other subjects...maybe even volunteering to help the elderly or vunerable during this public health crisis

You seem to disregard where I proposed they'd have the option.

Again, quit with seeking the moral highground. This is a high stakes exam and I want as best a chance as possible to get into college.

To add, the sraith p book is available online. Giving students marks for things they didn't do devalues the leaving cert. My proposed alternative is much fairer, from a student's perspective.

Again, quit with seeking the moral highground. This is a high stakes exam and I want as best a chance as possible to get into college.

Why do you think the SEC and Department of Education took the action that they did? Of all the options that they explored why do you think they chose this one? I'm genuinely wondering what you think their motivation was? I understand that you are upset but I don't think you are looking at this from a bigger picture perspective. This isn't about individuals. It is about the collective. This is the fairest and safest system for the cohort.

I would think because it is equal in terms of how it treats students that any lawsuit would fail, however, I'm not legally trained so I'll defer to experts in that regard. Bear in mind that equal does not always mean fair.

To add, the sraith p book is available online. Giving students marks for things they didn't do devalues the leaving cert. My proposed alternative is much fairer, from a student's perspective.

It isn't actually because students will be marked against different criteria. Some with oral some without. The core tenant of the leaving certificate is a level playing field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Someone is going to have to change the thread title shortly. Secondary Kids will be lucky to see the inside of a school before September by the looks of it. Primary school might get back for a couple of weeks

It isn't actually because students will be marked against different criteria. Some with oral some without. The core tenant of the leaving certificate is a level playing field

Is that so.
    Take music for example. Students have the option of sitting a listening elective. If they chose that they'd only be going into the written exams with a guarenteed 25 % wheras anyone doing the practical would have 50%. Level playing field? Don't think so.

I also don't see the problem. The written scripts will be marked under the same criteria. Then the weighted total will just be higher for those who opt to do the oral.

Is that so.
    Take music for example. Students have the option of sitting a listening elective. If they chose that they'd only be going into the written exams with a guarenteed 25 % wheras anyone doing the practical would have 50%. Level playing field? Don't think so.

I also don't see the problem. The written scripts will be marked under the same criteria. Then the weighted total will just be higher for those who opt to do the oral.

Point taken. Clearly you've made your mind up. Continue by all means but consider how much you are impacting your own grades spending time on this instead of studying. Best of luck to you in your studies.

This is the fairest and safest system for the cohort.

The fairest system would see the postponenet of all written and oral exams until it's safe to go through with them, and until students are finished their course (in school).

This was a decision centred on convenience, if they envisage the written exams to take place in June, orals easily could have been postponed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Someone is going to have to change the thread title shortly. Secondary Kids will be lucky to see the inside of a school before September by the looks of it. Primary school might get back for a couple of weeks

Why will primary schools be back in a few weeks? Of all students, they don't understand social distancing or have the best hygiene when it comes to sneezing etc. And they don't exams to complete.

• Advertisement

Just a recommendation for others... i have found pre-recoding over powerpoints that I already have a relatively simple process. You can edit the slides as you speak (highlight, annote etc.) And have the option of video or audio recording. I use a lot of powerpoints in class and felt I could deliver something very close to what I would ordinarily do in class using this method. Students can psuse and listen back. I upload the PowerPoint to teams and ask students to comment underneath with any questions.

I know this is probably very basic for some of you but it was my first time using it and I'm really pleased with the results. I hope everyone is getting on well.

Why will primary schools be back in a few weeks? Of all students, they don't understand social distancing or have the best hygiene when it comes to sneezing etc. And they don't exams to complete.

I said that they might get back FOR a couple of weeks not IN a couple of weeks. Primary schools could be open in June. My personal belief is that secondary schools won't be back before September. Maybe by mid May for exams but I think that would be pushing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Someone is going to have to change the thread title shortly.

Any chance we can have a separate "unfair oral situation" thread. I keep thinking there are more ideas for remote teaching (as per post #1) here when I get a notification.

Moody_mona wrote:
    Any chance we can have a separate "unfair oral situation" thread. I keep thinking there are more ideas for remote teaching (as per post #1) here when I get a notification.

Then thread title definitely needs to be replaced. Not a mention of remote teaching in the title

Just a recommendation for others... i have found pre-recoding over powerpoints that I already have a relatively simple process. You can edit the slides as you speak (highlight, annote etc.) And have the option of video or audio recording. I use a lot of powerpoints in class and felt I could deliver something very close to what I would ordinarily do in class using this method. Students can psuse and listen back. I upload the PowerPoint to teams and ask students to comment underneath with any questions.

I know this is probably very basic for some of you but it was my first time using it and I'm really pleased with the results. I hope everyone is getting on well.

I'm new to Teams, do you upload the PowerPoint as an attachment on the General page or under Files?

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I'm new to Teams, do you upload the PowerPoint as an attachment on the General page or under Files?

I uploaded it on general page and it automatically prompted me to save it to files also.

I uploaded it on general page and it automatically prompted me to save it to files also.

Cheers!

Well if you expend all of your engage on being outraged at this decision for the next three months instead of taking it for what it is and getting on with it and knuckling down to study, you won't be going to college.

Moody_mona wrote: »

You can do either really, although with my classes I've been uploading everything under the general chat page, as at least it is in a timeline there and I put up a few posts asking if anyone needs help and explaining what I want done with the file attached. It seems to be working fine for them. No complaints so far.

You can do either really, although with my classes I've been uploading everything under the general chat page, as at least it is in a timeline there and I put up a few posts asking if anyone needs help and explaining what I want done with the file attached. It seems to be working fine for them. No complaints so far.

I'm doing similar. Younger classes in particular are very engaged. Not so sure about my 6th years but they have larger pieces of work to produce so could just be quietly getting on with them/notfeelthe need to connect online unless they've a specific query.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement