Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

I actually saw that segment and was wondering what was going on with it? Just seems unwise to contact students via social media. Also wondered what the wider implications would be in relation to child safety and GDPR. I have no doubt that teacher had her student's best interests at heart but I was uncomfortable watching it.

Actually I just read the written article on the rte page about this segment. Perhaps it isn't the issue I thought it was. Saying that I still wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself. I can't really verbalise why...

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1123815/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Lc2020

Shn99 wrote: »
    LC students have probably burnt or binned their sraith pictuir books ect. Im friends with people who were gutted considering the work they put in, but they got over it. Life goes on...we don't all get our way. Your time would be much better spent studying for your written exams in your 6/7 other subjects...maybe even volunteering to help the elderly or vunerable during this public health crisis

You seem to disregard where I proposed they'd have the option.

Again, quit with seeking the moral highground. This is a high stakes exam and I want as best a chance as possible to get into college.

Shn99 wrote: »
    LC students have probably burnt or binned their sraith pictuir books ect. Im friends with people who were gutted considering the work they put in, but they got over it. Life goes on...we don't all get our way. Your time would be much better spent studying for your written exams in your 6/7 other subjects...maybe even volunteering to help the elderly or vunerable during this public health crisis

To add, the sraith p book is available online. Giving students marks for things they didn't do devalues the leaving cert. My proposed alternative is much fairer, from a student's perspective.

Lc2020 wrote: »

Again, quit with seeking the moral highground. This is a high stakes exam and I want as best a chance as possible to get into college.

Why do you think the SEC and Department of Education took the action that they did? Of all the options that they explored why do you think they chose this one? I'm genuinely wondering what you think their motivation was? I understand that you are upset but I don't think you are looking at this from a bigger picture perspective. This isn't about individuals. It is about the collective. This is the fairest and safest system for the cohort.

I would think because it is equal in terms of how it treats students that any lawsuit would fail, however, I'm not legally trained so I'll defer to experts in that regard. Bear in mind that equal does not always mean fair.

To add, the sraith p book is available online. Giving students marks for things they didn't do devalues the leaving cert. My proposed alternative is much fairer, from a student's perspective.

It isn't actually because students will be marked against different criteria. Some with oral some without. The core tenant of the leaving certificate is a level playing field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Someone is going to have to change the thread title shortly. Secondary Kids will be lucky to see the inside of a school before September by the looks of it. Primary school might get back for a couple of weeks

It isn't actually because students will be marked against different criteria. Some with oral some without. The core tenant of the leaving certificate is a level playing field

Is that so.
    Take music for example. Students have the option of sitting a listening elective. If they chose that they'd only be going into the written exams with a guarenteed 25 % wheras anyone doing the practical would have 50%. Level playing field? Don't think so.

I also don't see the problem. The written scripts will be marked under the same criteria. Then the weighted total will just be higher for those who opt to do the oral.

Is that so.
    Take music for example. Students have the option of sitting a listening elective. If they chose that they'd only be going into the written exams with a guarenteed 25 % wheras anyone doing the practical would have 50%. Level playing field? Don't think so.

I also don't see the problem. The written scripts will be marked under the same criteria. Then the weighted total will just be higher for those who opt to do the oral.

Point taken. Clearly you've made your mind up. Continue by all means but consider how much you are impacting your own grades spending time on this instead of studying. Best of luck to you in your studies.

This is the fairest and safest system for the cohort.

The fairest system would see the postponenet of all written and oral exams until it's safe to go through with them, and until students are finished their course (in school).

This was a decision centred on convenience, if they envisage the written exams to take place in June, orals easily could have been postponed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Someone is going to have to change the thread title shortly. Secondary Kids will be lucky to see the inside of a school before September by the looks of it. Primary school might get back for a couple of weeks

Why will primary schools be back in a few weeks? Of all students, they don't understand social distancing or have the best hygiene when it comes to sneezing etc. And they don't exams to complete.

• Advertisement

Just a recommendation for others... i have found pre-recoding over powerpoints that I already have a relatively simple process. You can edit the slides as you speak (highlight, annote etc.) And have the option of video or audio recording. I use a lot of powerpoints in class and felt I could deliver something very close to what I would ordinarily do in class using this method. Students can psuse and listen back. I upload the PowerPoint to teams and ask students to comment underneath with any questions.

I know this is probably very basic for some of you but it was my first time using it and I'm really pleased with the results. I hope everyone is getting on well.

Why will primary schools be back in a few weeks? Of all students, they don't understand social distancing or have the best hygiene when it comes to sneezing etc. And they don't exams to complete.

I said that they might get back FOR a couple of weeks not IN a couple of weeks. Primary schools could be open in June. My personal belief is that secondary schools won't be back before September. Maybe by mid May for exams but I think that would be pushing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Someone is going to have to change the thread title shortly.

Any chance we can have a separate "unfair oral situation" thread. I keep thinking there are more ideas for remote teaching (as per post #1) here when I get a notification.

Moody_mona wrote:
    Any chance we can have a separate "unfair oral situation" thread. I keep thinking there are more ideas for remote teaching (as per post #1) here when I get a notification.

Then thread title definitely needs to be replaced. Not a mention of remote teaching in the title

Just a recommendation for others... i have found pre-recoding over powerpoints that I already have a relatively simple process. You can edit the slides as you speak (highlight, annote etc.) And have the option of video or audio recording. I use a lot of powerpoints in class and felt I could deliver something very close to what I would ordinarily do in class using this method. Students can psuse and listen back. I upload the PowerPoint to teams and ask students to comment underneath with any questions.

I know this is probably very basic for some of you but it was my first time using it and I'm really pleased with the results. I hope everyone is getting on well.

I'm new to Teams, do you upload the PowerPoint as an attachment on the General page or under Files?

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I'm new to Teams, do you upload the PowerPoint as an attachment on the General page or under Files?

I uploaded it on general page and it automatically prompted me to save it to files also.

I uploaded it on general page and it automatically prompted me to save it to files also.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well if you expend all of your engage on being outraged at this decision for the next three months instead of taking it for what it is and getting on with it and knuckling down to study, you won't be going to college.

Moody_mona wrote: »

You can do either really, although with my classes I've been uploading everything under the general chat page, as at least it is in a timeline there and I put up a few posts asking if anyone needs help and explaining what I want done with the file attached. It seems to be working fine for them. No complaints so far.

You can do either really, although with my classes I've been uploading everything under the general chat page, as at least it is in a timeline there and I put up a few posts asking if anyone needs help and explaining what I want done with the file attached. It seems to be working fine for them. No complaints so far.

I'm doing similar. Younger classes in particular are very engaged. Not so sure about my 6th years but they have larger pieces of work to produce so could just be quietly getting on with them/notfeelthe need to connect online unless they've a specific query.

• Advertisement

I'm doing similar. Younger classes in particular are very engaged. Not so sure about my 6th years but they have larger pieces of work to produce so could just be quietly getting on with them/notfeelthe need to connect online unless they've a specific query.

Same as. Very few of my leaving certs are engaging, even just to say that they are getting/doing the work. My third years seem to be a bit more motivated in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

I really like the sound of that and it's nice to get a feeling of satisfaction and a feeling of being in control of something in these awful times. So well done to you :)

However, we're using Google, not Microsoft. Could the same thing be done on the Google platform using their equivalent of powerpoint and then uploading to Google classrooms etc as you do with teams?

acequion wrote: »
    I really like the sound of that and it's nice to get a feeling of satisfaction and a feeling of being in control of something in these awful times. So well done to you :)

However, we're using Google, not Microsoft. Could the same thing be done on the Google platform using their equivalent of powerpoint and then uploading to Google classrooms etc as you do with teams?

I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with the Google platform, but I'd assume their equivalent (I think it is called slides?) would have similar functionality but I can't confirm. Sorry! No use to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'm probably be hunted or laughed at but I'm wondering how naive is it to expect LCAs to submit online work? They can be hard enough to engage when you're in there in person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends on the people in the class, much like any other class. The LCAs have the big plus that it's not all hanging on the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

acequion wrote: »

In the newer desktop version of PowerPoint there is a record function that will let you record your desktop. I use this to record lessons and I talk students through questions, topics etc using the ebook on screen. Once recording is started you are not restricted to just PowerPoint. It will record whatever you are viewing on screen. I have a HP ProBook so I can write onto the page, for example, onto an exam paper question for a final account. When I'm finished recording I can then save the video file from the PowerPoint so it is a separate video file and that can be uploaded on any platform as you would do with any file. Student can replay the work as slowly or as often as they like then when it is sent to them.

JPF82 wrote: »
    In the newer desktop version of PowerPoint there is a record function that will let you record your desktop. I use this to record lessons and I talk students through questions, topics etc using the ebook on screen. Once recording is started you are not restricted to just PowerPoint. It will record whatever you are viewing on screen. I have a HP ProBook so I can write onto the page, for example, onto an exam paper question for a final account. When I'm finished recording I can then save the video file from the PowerPoint so it is a separate video file and that can be uploaded on any platform as you would do with any file. Student can replay the work as slowly or as often as they like then when it is sent to them.

No way, that sounds brilliant. I'll give that a go. Thanks for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

I threw an attachment together for my colleagues during the week to help them. Working on my phone here so Hope it works.

spurious wrote: »
    The LCAs have the big plus that it's not all hanging on the exam.

Finally a teacher who understands the inequity of it all. The SEC recklessly choosing to cancel the orals will place a serious amount of pressure on leaving certs to do well in the written exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

That's great JPF82 and History Queen, worked a treat, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement