Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

There is a whiff of Alice Cooper in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

So as it stands right now the schools are back next Monday is that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Schools not to reopen after Friday. The examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Main focus of Mchugh and the department of ed is to have the state exams run as normal from June 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Shn99 wrote: »
    Main focus of Mchugh and the department of ed is to have the state exams run as normal from June 3rd

Hard to see how that would be feasible really, and if so, It would leave current students at a huge disadvantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Hard to see how that would be feasible really, and if so, It would leave current students at a huge disadvantage.

But at a huge disadvantage in relation to whom? They are all in the same boat anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

zero_ wrote: »
    It wouldn't work here - and it wouldn't work in the UK either - but the government in the UK may well force people or use some sort of method of moving students on to third level. Who knows?? Strange days.

Maybe if they post their answers through the medium of a tiktok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Rosita wrote: »
    That's an interesting post. I suppose if there is an acceptance that on-line teaching and work is on-going then it could be said that there is no real reason why the exams could not take place from the point of view of student preparedness. Otherwise we are saying that what's happening at the moment is of no value.

But at a huge disadvantage in relation to whom? They are all in the same boat anyway.

I don't get this logic at all. Teaching and online support of learning is happening in the vast majority of cases for post primary exam classes. But there is a massive digital divide in who can access that teaching and support among students.

So we can absolutely say that teaching is happening, and is of value to many students, while simultaneously acknowledging that there will still be a significant impact on student preparedness, and most importantly, that some are at a bigger disadvantage than others, beyond even the usual inequalities. They are most certainly not all in the same boat. I think to claim otherwise is massively out of touch with reality.

I don't get this logic at all. Teaching and online support of learning is happening in the vast majority of cases for post primary exam classes. But there is a massive digital divide in who can access that teaching and support among students.

So we can absolutely say that teaching is happening, and is of value to many students, while simultaneously acknowledging that there will still be a significant impact on student preparedness, and most importantly, that some are at a bigger disadvantage than others, beyond even the usual inequalities. They are most certainly not all in the same boat. I think to claim otherwise is massively out of touch with reality.

So what is your solution then? If schools can't go back before September - get everyone to repeat the year? You don't offer solutions but if we are being logical and online teaching is not working..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

So what is your solution then? If schools can't go back before September - get everyone to repeat the year? You don't offer solutions but if we are being logical and online teaching is not working..........

I don't have a solution. I also didn't say that exams should not proceed. If they do, that will be the best we can do I'm sure. But we can do it while still accepting reality that students will not be properly prepared and that they are not all in the same boat, which I think your posts do not.

Do you honestly believe what you posted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Online teaching is keeping them going. Its a stopgap. It is not a substitute. Yes, it will get the majority of students through to the end of the year but it isn't going to cut it for the students who would then be expected to sit exams.

I know that whenever we go back for example, next years second years will not have had face to face teaching in probability and geometry so I will have to be mindful of that when we move onto more difficult material. Some will have had limited internet access. Some will have had limited engagement in the absence of the structure of the school day. Some will have had bigger issues happening at home which put school on the back burner. We can incorporate all of that into our planning and teaching for future years.

But that will not help those sitting a state exam in June. Particularly any students who
    -Have had any other gap in teaching due to lack of qualified teachers
    -Are in weaker groups or have not got courses finished yet due to their length
    -Have no internet or limited internet access right now
    -Have no support at home to encourage them to work independently
    and you could continue that list for many other groups.

I don't know the solution but a lack of clarity is difficult even though I'm aware this is a completely unprecedented situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Schools closed until 31st August?

while i believe you are probably correct

that has not been announced and you need to stop posting fake news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cant see the schools back until September

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

i do hope they give another time frame like they did last time
    (e.g. schools to remain closed until April 27th) and then they review the situation then

They aren't all in the same boat. My daughter is doing online lessons everyday on her laptop whilst her friend down the road is at a huge disadvantage with simple text book studies. Some kids are going to fall way behind and many parents just won't be able to afford grinds etc..to catch up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

ricero wrote: »

Hard to see them opening in September at this point. There’ll be no vaccine by then remember.

This isn’t something that’s going to go away in weeks. We’re going to be living with it for a long while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

There was a kid on Liveline when the Orals were cancelled, he said it was unfair because of the work he put in and the money his parents spent on grinds.

They may be in the same boat but there is definitely different levels on it, as usual those in steerage will be at the biggest risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

ricero wrote: »

Hard to see them opening in September at this point. There’ll be no vaccine by then remember.

This isn’t something that’s going to go away in weeks. We’re going to be living with it for a long while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I don't think anybody who knows anything about the Irish Education system has mentioned predicted grades being a possibility, it's just hot air floating around, because some people are twitching with no cold hard facts.

Nothing can be decided now, we need to just sit and wait and see how the curve goes.

I don't have a solution. I also didn't say that exams should not proceed. If they do, that will be the best we can do I'm sure. But we can do it while still accepting reality that students will not be properly prepared and that they are not all in the same boat, which I think your posts do not.

Do you honestly believe what you posted?

What I posted is the least important thing other than whether I believe it or not. Let's not make that the issue.

The Leaving Cert captures all the inequities that are inherent in school and society. The 'digital deficit' is just another of those. I would not be sure that it will change the pecking order in the LC. But I'm probably wrong on that. But lamenting lack of preparedness when there is no alternative is futile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I don't think anybody who knows anything about the Irish Education system has mentioned predicted grades being a possibility, it's just hot air floating around, because some people are twitching with no cold hard facts.

Nothing can be decided now, we need to just sit and wait and see how the curve goes.

I think it's speculation based off the UK's huge decision to cancel A Levels and GCSE's very early on

In peoples minds its probably like "Well if the UK aren't doing exams there isn't a hope the LC/JC will go ahead" and then hearing how they'll deal with it brings up an idea in people's minds that Ireland will do the same :rolleyes:

Anywho, you're right we can't tell what's going to happen and we shouldn't make the decision so quickly (wait till late april at the latest)

Kenny B wrote: »

They may be in the same boat but there is definitely different levels on it, as usual those in steerage will be at the biggest risk.

Yes, but as someone who teaches a fairly broad spectrum I'm not convinced the situation for those in steerage, as you put it, would be a whole lot different if schools were open. I think the relative preparedness of students for the LC will not change much because schools are closed.

No chance of schools returning in September unless the vaccine is up and running which won't happen. Right now i think we are looking at best case scenario of a vaccine by January 2021 so you are talking in and around a year of schools being closed.

Seve OB wrote: »
    while i believe you are probably correct

that has not been announced and you need to stop posting fake news

To be fair the poster said this "Schools closed until 31st August?". I think the question mark says it all. I don't we all going to take this 'fake news' as Gospel. We can see it as a question statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

BanditLuke wrote: »
    No chance of schools returning in September unless the vaccine is up and running which won't happen. Right now i think we are looking at best case scenario of a vaccine by January 2021 so you are talking in and around a year of schools being closed.

Can both of you stop scaremongering. You do not need a vaccine to reopen. The virus is spread by human contact. If you stop human contact the virus does not have a mode of transmission. If we maintain a lockdown type situation for say the next 6-8 weeks (could be longer depending on how many f*ckwits continue to gather in large groups) then you allow those who are infected to recover and you prevent the virus from having a mode of transmission.

When you get that under control, then you can resume normal life. The province of Hubei where Wuhan is located is now restarting normal life after being on lockdown for 2 months. There have been no new cases for a week there. China is getting back to normal. Wuhan remains under lockdown until April 8th. If there are no new cases in the city by then, then normal service resumes.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    They aren't all in the same boat. My daughter is doing online lessons everyday on her laptop whilst her friend down the road is at a huge disadvantage with simple text book studies. Some kids are going to fall way behind and many parents just won't be able to afford grinds etc..to catch up.

I never said that some parents aren't richer than others but students are in the same scenario with no school for the foreseeable future and impending exams. In my experience the same people will pull through in the end anyway. The motivation and character of the student is the most significant arbiter of achievement and not available resources. I learned this the hard way. My daughter had access to parents who taught five LC subjects and thumbed her nose up at all offers of help at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

Has anyone been hearing about any policies for 3rd level and thesis delivery? It can be a struggle to do if its a qualitative thesis or a scientific thesis you might need help with.

Coneygree wrote: »
    McHugh said to expect an official announcement today or tomorrow. You would imagine the specifics will be laid out then.

From what I can see the official announcement is simply going to confirm what he said i.e. that the school will not be open next week. Not sure it'll go beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Heard there's a govt announcement at 4pm today. Not sure what's being covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I never said that some parents aren't richer than others but students are in the same scenario with no school for the foreseeable future and impending exams. In my experience the same people will pull through in the end anyway. The motivation and character of the student is the most significant arbiter of achievement and not available resources. I learned this the hard way. My daughter had access to parents who taught five LC subjects and thumbed her nose up at all offers of help at the time.

This is simply not correct. Some kids will be at a huge disadvantage because their schools are not engaging. This idea that all teachers are sat at home prepping lessons, being available to students is BS. My son has one teacher that is responsive to email. Not a peep from the rest. He gets emailed work sporadically with zero guidance, zero instruction. Where as my friends daughter attends a different school and she has every teacher responsive, full class schedule. The difference between the schools is night and day.

The kids who dont care, who are not engaged in class and who have parents who dont encourage will probably not be too bothered with the lack of class or instruction, the kids who are really focused, engaged will probably stay but the kids who are capable but need guidance are the ones that will suffer the most. When schools resumes they will be expected to keep up with the class regardless, just as they are now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement