Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Even with reduced class numbers , how would it be possible to disinfect surfaces , bathrooms etc ?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The only way for this to work (6th years) is use of a large room which most schools only have a couple of or dividing groups so there is a maximum of only 15 in a room. The other issue is as mentioned the cleanliness of schools. I dont think my classroom floor has been mopped all year. You have to a really through clean of rooms. I actually cant see any of this happening then again -who ccould see what we are now witnessing happening!

I can see us coming back earlly like August and the exam in September/Oct
    Our creaking health service is about to implode -private hospitals and all.
    My prayers are with you all but especially our healthcare workers. More of these workers will die-disproportionately of lack of masks etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

There is no subject called LCA Science.

Could you possibly mean LCA Agriculture/Horticulture?

No. Science.

https://www.curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/b000c9cc-cfd8-4009-ad4b-592668163925/Science.pdf

Though I have taught the Ag/Hort too.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

Bobtheman wrote: »
    The only way for this to work (6th years) is use of a large room which most schools only have a couple of or dividing groups so there is a maximum of only 15 in a room. The other issue is as mentioned the cleanliness of schools. I dont think my classroom floor has been mopped all year. You have to a really through clean of rooms. I actually cant see any of this happening then again -who ccould see what we are now witnessing happening!

I can see us coming back earlly like August and the exam in September/Oct
    Our creaking health service is about to implode -private hospitals and all.
    My prayers are with you all but especially our healthcare workers. More of these workers will die-disproportionately of lack of masks etc

The chewing gum under the desks....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SunnyBess

bobbyss wrote: »
    How are those teachers coping whose students don't have lap tops, don't have ipads, who say they have nò credit for mobiles and who say will not be doing any work for the duration? (It is reaching the business end of the Champions' League after all) And whose parents aren't really bothered about it anyway.

Challenging students who have no interest, no study skils and no suppport at home and who'd tell you to F... off as soon as look at you may enjoy the break.

Two weeks off? I am heartbroken.

I am having the same difficulties! Some of my students have not even bothered to join the Google classroom I set up. I don't know if is due to technical limitations on their part,lack of broadband/credit , apathy or what.

I am really, really worried about my learners.
    For many, we were the only safe place they had to go to during the week!

• Advertisement

scrubs33 wrote: »
    The chewing gum under the desks....
    Don't remind me. I wash my own desk with anti bacterial wipes a few times a week. Same with keyboard but a lot of school buildings are ancient and full of dusty corners.
    Mildew. The odd rat - in the staffroom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

SunnyBess wrote: »
    I am really, really worried about my learners.
    For many, we were the only safe place they had to go to during the week!

I'm having similar problems. My students have convinced themselves that the LC is going to be cancelled so there is no point in doing study.

They refuse to access their work online. Most of their learning came from the classroom so if I don't see them before they sit the leaving, they'll be in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Schools with 200 plus in a year group would need 13 English, Irish and Maths teachers to run the 15 students in a group scenario (Schools dont have this capacity). Students would not practise social distancing on the way in, at lunch etc. and if a Covid cluster developed in a school there would be hell to pay with parents.
    They are definitely still planning for the Leaving Cert as I received the information on special centres for LC students. Interestingly, there was no mention of arrangements for any Junior Cert Students. I think they will do their utmost to run the leaving cert but if the number of cases and deaths are through the roof they will pull it.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

fall wrote: »
    Schools with 200 plus in a year group would need 13 English, Irish and Maths teachers to run the 15 students in a group scenario (Schools dont have this capacity). Students would not practise social distancing on the way in, at lunch etc. and if a Covid cluster developed in a school there would be hell to pay with parents.
    They are definitely still planning for the Leaving Cert as I received the information on special centres for LC students. Interestingly, there was no mention of arrangements for any Junior Cert Students. I think they will do their utmost to run the leaving cert but if the number of cases and deaths are through the roof they will pull it.

The big numbers are something I struggle to get my head around still. My school has a LC group of 62...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

scrubs33 wrote: »
    The big numbers are something I struggle to get my head around still. My school has a LC group of 62...

Most of our year groups are 180-200
    Schools are different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Not a teacher but seriously struggling with home school stuff, two of our lads would get extra help in school and one is dyslexic . I am fine with history , geography and English is just ok .. 3rd and 4th class but Maths and Irish are a nightmare .. we get a set of work from teachers at start of week but not getting anywhere finishing it most weeks.
    Worried now if this will go on any longer what damage it’s doing to the lads .. I just can’t compete with a teacher and we are all snapping at each other which is making things a lot worse.
    Currently it’s taking me 3 hours with one kid in the mornings and 3 with the other in the evenings.
    Any advice... I have looked at on line resources but not much help .. yes I can google answers but that’s all it is an answer I can’t explain the reason it’s the answer.. I feel thick myself for having to work out 4th class maths ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

harr wrote: »
    Not a teacher but seriously struggling with home school stuff, two of our lads would get extra help in school and one is dyslexic . I am fine with history , geography and English is just ok .. 3rd and 4th class but Maths and Irish are a nightmare .. we get a set of work from teachers at start of week but not getting anywhere finishing it most weeks.
    Worried now if this will go on any longer what damage it’s doing to the lads .. I just can’t compete with a teacher and we are all snapping at each other which is making things a lot worse.
    Currently it’s taking me 3 hours with one kid in the mornings and 3 with the other in the evenings.
    Any advice... I have looked at on line resources but not much help .. yes I can google answers but that’s all it is an answer I can’t explain the reason it’s the answer.. I feel thick myself for having to work out 4th class maths ..

Has the teacher not told you that there is no pressure to do all the work? My school has made it very clear that it is not our job as teachers to add extra pressure on parents or to the home environment as things stand. Children are anxious enough as it is.

Has the teacher not told you that there is no pressure to do all the work? My school has made it very clear that it is not our job as teachers to add extra pressure on parents or to the home environment as things stand. Children are anxious enough as it is.

Not really, it’s probably me worrying one lad has already stayed back this year and will be to old to stay back another year. Add to Dad trying to school work that are starting to really miss friends in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Not really, it’s probably me worrying one lad has already stayed back this year and will be to old to stay back another year. Add to Dad trying to school work that are starting to really miss friends in school.

As I said to my neighbour the other day there's no point making enemies of your kids over school work.

The school should have told you that there's no pressure to get this work done. When they eventually get back to school all the work will be covered again anyway as a lot of kids won't have covered it at home.

For primary school children you should get them to do a little bit of work each day that doesn't cause stress. One hour absolute maximum. And bribe them. If I learned one thing in 30 odd years teaching it was that bribery is far more effective than any form of coercion!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Harr,

Im taking it day by day with the kids, just see how they are. They had a sleep in today but yesterday up early. My kids school sent the work out for the week so yesterday was English, did most of it for the week. Today Irish, see how it goes and Maths tomorrow. Thursday History with a suitable movie and popcorn. Typing Friday and online maths games

Make your own pace, ignore due dates if they are put up, dont get stressed and just do what you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Harr, I really feel for you. The first thing I would do is let the school know that you struggling. The teacher may be sending the same work to the entire class and your child might need a little more differentiation. It could be something as simple as saying only do the first 3 sums instead of all 6 as they might increase in difficultly. Let them know about the difficulty with Irish. I would be very surprised if they don't reassure that you are doing just fine.
    I would focus at the moment on just even learning vocabulary. If the boys are arty get them to illustrate the vocab. If you even set a simple goal to learn x number of new words a week and put them into a basic sentence that would be a good solid peace of work. These subjects were never a strong point so remember that and tailor your expectations. 3 hours, particularly in a block is a very long time for any student. Maybe do an hour with each boy in the evening and an hour in the afternoon. There is a website called ixl that may excite them more because they get to do it on a computer.

You are doing your best and your children won't be damaged at the end of all of this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I totally understand where you are coming from. But you are Clearly doing too much. You are not supposed to do all the work as it is a class work list. As your children get in school support they would certainly not be doing the full workload, no where near it. In maths do some questions on the particular topic, but certainly no more than half. Try to cut any questions that require the most writing out of your history and geography.
    The most important thing to do, is to relax and take it easy. Don't become obsessed with getting the work done. Just keep tipping away, certainly not for the periods of time you are current,y doing.' Easter hols' are on Friday, take a 2 week break. You and your kids will both need and deserve it.
    Keep them reading whatever they want but dont do any written work.
    This will go on for at least another 3 school weeks. Their teacher should have mentioned the need to read for pleasure, not to feel that you must finish everything etc but you are the primary educator of your children. Sometimes less is more.

Thanks for the replies, probably being to hard on myself and the kids . I have messaged his teacher and explained the situation and asked for a little help in prioritising the work.
    I am lucky as his teacher is very approachable and he has done fantastic with her this year.
    Definitely need to cut the hours down...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks for the replies, probably being to hard on myself and the kids . I have messaged his teacher and explained the situation and asked for a little help in prioritising the work.
    I am lucky as his teacher is very approachable and he has done fantastic with her this year.
    Definitely need to cut the hours down...

Good to hear. There was a teacher crying on her instagram story the other day. Felt she was failing her students, impossible to just set work and let them off every week. She said she got loads of messages from teachers who feel the same. So I'd say just recognise that this is a terrible situation, do whatever you can but don't put yourself under pressure. I've said to my students that if we all come out of this healthy then we've succeeded. The work we give it to just keep them busy really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

dory wrote: »
    Good to hear. There was a teacher crying on her instagram story the other day. Felt she was failing her students, impossible to just set work and let them off every week. She said she got loads of messages from teachers who feel the same. So I'd say just recognise that this is a terrible situation, do whatever you can but don't put yourself under pressure. I've said to my students that if we all come out of this healthy then we've succeeded. The work we give it to just keep them busy really.

I've been dreaming about school. Hearing some horror stories about other primary schools putting awful pressure on their kids/families with deadlines for uploading completed work. Like cop yourself on. School is and should be the last priority for people currently. Any school or teacher creating anxiety or pressure at home should hang their heads in shame and have a good look at their conduct and behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

dory wrote: »
    The work we give it to just keep them busy really.

I know you have good intentions but we shouldn't be giving this work if that is the case. There should be value in it.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I know you have good intentions but we shouldn't be giving this work if that is the case. There should be value in it.

Ah there is, of course there is. All homework has value. All I meant is it's priority No 453 in terms of global pandemic.

My friend has an 11 year old and loves when some bit of something comes in from the teacher so she does that for an hour. And then is back to "I'm bored".

That's all I meant. It would be practically impossible to give students work that has no value what soever. Even writing out 10000 lines might improve their handwriting or help them remember that line. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

A

Lets call a spade a spade-distance learning is not as effective classroom teaching. There is no method of using video that allows you to safely intereact with students. None Im aware of. This is a sticking plaster . Thus, if schools suddenly opened in May-which is the earliest -then some allowence needs to be made for LC. a 10% bonus or a delayed exam. What they did with the orals was a joke. They didnt think that one through. Student A slaves away. Student B does practically nothing= the same marks?? 100%.
    Added to this-a lot of teachers are minding their own kids while trying this. Its just not the same as being in the classroom,
    Distance learning might be highly effective with middle class kids but they aint the majority of kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Bit of a Luddite on the tech front here...was aghast at the prospect of remote teaching initially, but have actually enjoyed figuring out the benefits of Teams in Office 365. Nice way to engage with the quieter kids when giving feedback/corrections.
    Not playing my violin but I have 8 academic classes and 200 students...I haven’t gone ‘live’ with any, but the volume of corrections is ridiculous.This coupled with the fact that the phone is hopping with work being sent to my email instead of Assignments folder blah blah....i’m Working more these days and that’s with only 50% engagement from students!!
    For some reason, I felt that I needed to keep working through the ‘official ‘ Easter hols, but I think i’ll focus on my own two children for the two weeks instead....to be honest, I think parents would be relieved if everyone took a 2 week break from Friday...will obviously be there for any LC students looking for help.

Yeah, I'm exactly the same sheaP. Totally overloaded with corrections, but actually enjoying using Google Classroom and I'll definitely use it in the future. I'm taking a two week break from Friday as well.

Can’t believe people are even asking if they are talking their holidays !
    I’ll be logging out for two weeks
    I’m mentally burned out and need to focus on myself and my family

Joe mchugh coming up on Matt Cooper

Still working towards June deadline
    Determined to have the state exams (plural ) go ahead
    Spoke well to be fair

“Looking at contingencies “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

km79 wrote: »
    Still working towards June deadline
    Determined to have the state exams (plural ) go ahead
    Spoke well to be fair

“Looking at contingencies “

I guess there isn't a whole lot he or anyone else at the Dept/SEC can do at the moment except have a few contingency plans in place and see how this plays out over the next four weeks or so.

While there are calls to cancel the exams, it's easier said than done, and provides a massive headache to come up with an alternative assessment, not even to give the students the bit of paper, but to allow a fair mechanism to let them progress to colleges, PLCs, apprenticeships etc.

• Advertisement

I see no reason why the exams can't be later in the year. Just move it forward. The whole academic calendar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement