Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Any idea folks if schools will be back in 3 weeks?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

harr wrote: »
    Not really, it’s probably me worrying one lad has already stayed back this year and will be to old to stay back another year. Add to Dad trying to school work that are starting to really miss friends in school.

Just a mother of a Junior Infant myself Harr - I can't add much other than to say that mine are seriously missing JI and pre-school pals. It's very, very hard on them, because they don't really understand. I am not getting wound up about school work as I am also working from home and I cannot do it all - but JI wouldn't have a huge homework load anyway.

I just want to let you know I sympathise - for parents of kids this lockdown has been going on 3 weeks now, and I just feel like for many other people it only really struck home when the 2km restriction started - we have been stuck at home with very restricted options for what we can do for 3 weeks now and it is very old, anecdotally from my own circle, I know a lot of parents are beginning to crack under the stress and finding it very hard. You are not alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

C__MC wrote: »

Not a notion
    We are currently basically locked in our homes
    It would be absolute madness to go from that to schools being back within 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

We are all doing our best in an incredibly stressful and unpredictable situation. Well done to the parents for putting up with all of this. I am a teacher and am trying to keep work creative, fun and attainable. I am getting lots of lovely pictures of the children just even sharing their news or things they have been up to.
    It's not a time for putting anxiety or high expectations on parents. We are all making this up as we go along, dealing with a worrying situation. Just hope all my kiddos are ok and wish for normality soon. All we can all do is our best. Well done everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Not a hope

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Not a notion
    We are currently basically locked in our homes
    It would be absolute madness to go from that to schools being back within 3 weeks

Suppose I was trying to ask will he make the call late next week with one week of Easter holidays done.

Suppose I was trying to ask will he make the call late next week with one week of Easter holidays done.

I personally think they are drip feeding information to us and they are just going to add on a week or two weeks here and there. It's much easier to deal with that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I see no reason why the exams can't be later in the year. Just move it forward. The whole academic calendar

Wouldnt really work for those of us heading abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Not a hope.

cazzer22 wrote: »
    I personally think they are drip feeding information to us and they are just going to add on a week or two weeks here and there. It's much easier to deal with that way.

Surely we csnt expect students to have 6-8 weeks off and sit exams

Call has to be made next week IMO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Certainly not the way things are. 2 weeks after that would be the earliest I think. Schools will probably be the last to go back.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Certainly not the way things are. 2 weeks after that would be the earliest I think. Schools will probably be the last to go back.

Best case scenario I can see is
    Exam classes last two weeks in May
    Maybe only leaving certs at that

And o don’t even see that happening
    Still don’t think people grasp the seriousness of the situation we are in
    China is still not back to anywhere near normal

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Shn99 wrote: »

I doubt any of us will be going abroad this summer . Where will be safe ?
    Secondly even if it's safe you will be " persuaded " to come back. Pity the children etc
    Look how they whipped us into " shape" with fempi.
    I doubt they will be scared of a group of people who ran scared after two days of strike. Tesco workers did 3 weeks .
    If they "ask" us to come in over the summer we will without a whimper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I doubt any of us will be going abroad this summer

Going abroad for university

Surely we csnt expect students to have 6-8 weeks off and sit exams

Call has to be made next week IMO

Absolutely. I'd say they will make that call by Easter Sunday deadline. Even events in August are being cancelled. Not fair on leaving certs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭scooby77

Closing date for SNA survey 7th April. Analysis, choose, contact, retrain...hardly worthwhile for just a few weeks?
    It may be just a contingency at moment, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

scooby77 wrote: »
    Closing date for SNA survey 7th April. Analysis, choose, contact, retrain...hardly worthwhile for just a few weeks?
    It may be just a contingency at moment, but...

THey know it will be longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Probably back Monday I'd say!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

km79 wrote: »
    Best case scenario I can see is
    Exam classes last two weeks in May
    Maybe only leaving certs at that

And o don’t even see that happening
    Still don’t think people grasp the seriousness of the situation we are in
    China is still not back to anywhere near normal

Are the schools back in China? That would give some idea of a general timeframe. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

bobbyss wrote: »
    Are the schools back in China? That would give some idea of a general timeframe. .

They were closed for about three months I think and are still closed in some areas and I believe they’ve cancelled their massive state exam day

“ Officials are relaxing restrictions very slowly and methodically, Ding says. Many restaurants at first reopened with shortened hours and for a limited number of customers; now, doors are open to all. Primary and secondary schools in several provinces have reopened, but only in communities free of the disease, and schools must check students’ temperatures and watch for symptoms. Universities, where students from around the country mix, remain closed, with classes taught online. Events that draw crowds are still banned or discouraged. Live music venues and gyms in many cities remain closed. There are temperature checks at subway entrances and factory gates.”
    Reference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭chewed

There is no way they can continue with the Leaving Cert at this stage. It's just too unfair on students, especially those who may have already been struggling with learning difficulties (e.g. Dyslexia, ADHD, etc.). There are also students who require SNAs and additional grinds, which are now not available. Also, there will be many who are/will be going through bereavements over the coming weeks/months due to this pandemic.

Someone had suggested having the exams later in the year! this is not practical either. Are we expecting them to continue studying over the summer months? They will be completely worn out at that stage.

I would imagine the only reason they won't announce this just yet is that they don't want to have thousands of 17-18 year olds suddenly having nothing to do and becoming high risks in breaking the current restrictions in place.

chewed wrote: »
    There is no way they can continue with the Leaving Cert at this stage. It's just too unfair on students, especially those who may have already been struggling with learning difficulties (e.g. Dyslexia, ADHD, etc.). There are also students who require SNAs and additional grinds, which are now not available. Also, there will be many who are/will be going through bereavements over the coming weeks/months due to this pandemic.

Someone had suggested having the exams later in the year! this is not practical either. Are we expecting them to continue studying over the summer months? They will be completely worn out at that stage.

I would imagine the only reason they won't announce this just yet is that they don't want to have thousands of 17-18 year olds suddenly having nothing to do and becoming high risks in breaking the current restrictions in place.

I think that’s a reasonable assessment of where we are at to be honest
    Postponing leaving cert has knock on effect for college enrollment etc
    Hard to know what will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I think the LC will go ahead. Courses may already have been completed in subjects before we were sent home and there is no reason why any remaining modules cant be covered through remote learning.

Certainly students with poor broadband and those with SENs will be at a disadvantage but probably not to the extent that 1 or 2 subject areas cant be made accessible over the space of 2 full months. Hopefully some concessions/contingencies can be put into place as well if they are deemed necessary.
    Certainly theyre going to have to make some very unpopular decisions in the next few weeks, but theyve already shown that theyre capable of doing so given what they did with the orals. Obviously the issue of accessing the building itself is a very different one but again, I expect theyll come up with something. First up will be cancelling the JC imho.

But Im only speculating of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Shn99 wrote:

Are colleges abroad opening as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

Well done to all teachers for your dedication, innovation and creativity these past few weeks. I know you have all been putting in extra hours to ensure your students don't miss out. Whether it be teaching live or organising digital audios / videos / resources. I'm sure you have also learned a lot that will guide you through this crisis and that parents appreciate your efforts to keep their children learning and engaged.

Take these two weeks to recharge. Be kind to yourself. You'll be ready to face into this last term and support your students online or in the classroom. I know you'll all be hoping to be open by September. Take it one week at a time. Everyone is doing the best they can. This too shall pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Feedback from our 6th Years, the ones going for top points are studying away and want the exams to happen. They are able to learn remotely very well. They think it will be really unfair on them to cancel.
    The ones who are in the middle are finding the self motivation hard and miss the support and push from teachers. They would like to be told one way or another if the exams are happening.
    Then the group of students who would score the lowest points have said they have given up and can't do it on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭chewed

fall wrote: »
    Feedback from our 6th Years, the ones going for top points are studying away and want the exams to happen. They are able to learn remotely very well. They think it will be really unfair on them to cancel.
    The ones who are in the middle are finding the self motivation hard and miss the support and push from teachers. They would like to be told one way or another if the exams are happening.
    Then the group of students who would score the lowest points have said they have given up and can't do it on their own.

...and this is why the LC, in its current format, should be cancelled. School is not just for the highest achievers, it's for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

...and this is why the LC, in its current format, should be cancelled. School is not just for the highest achievers, it's for everyone!

Actually I find a lot of those students should have done LCA but there can be a snobbery around doing it. The students in this category are the ones that teachers have to battle with the whole way through because they hate what they are doing and often find it too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

But the problem there surely is not the LC itself but college entry system? The LC is for everyone. But of course they won't all do the same.

What is not for everyone is any college course they want. It's hard to imagine any LC system that will not have high achievers and those who struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

You offer no solution. On the one hand you say kids need all sorts of things to assist them that are not now available that leads logically to delay the LC until we can provide these and then you say we cant delay it??

Firstly-in June will we be able to have students in exam halls doing their exam? Even in small groups. I dont see this as likely
    Secondly-do we simply give everyone an expected grade? If not they have to do the exam in a secure place. Thus the only option I see is a delay in late Summer. Teachers would be asked to come in and teach a good month before the exam. . Something like that. Id bet my house on a delay.
    Get real people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement