Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I think this will be the most likely scenario. This academic year will spill into next year slightly and next year will be somewhat condensed/start later. If some heads need to be banged together to get it done then so be it.

Can they not just push everything back a month or two. Same with college, start it later and finish it later. Why does college have to finish in April/May?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Can they not just push everything back a month or two. Same with college, start it later and finish it later. Why does college have to finish in April/May?

Or else they could make the course more condensed for a year and finish up the same time. It’s only one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Or else they could make the course more condensed for a year and finish up the same time. It’s only one year.

You could condense units in a lot of college courses over year 1 & 2 and be back on track by year 3.

On schools, i wonder if they've looked at the idea of schools taking their summer break now with a view to a return (even if only for LCs) in August?

Very tuff on LCs to plan a peak in study with so much uncertainty, they cud at least plan with late July/August in mind.

Just an idea

Also, for school returns because distancing wud still be an issue until a vaccine you could assign particular days to juniors and seniors to reduce the number of students. For example, Monday, Wednesday, Friday for seniors and Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday for juniors. Reduce the length of the day to be able to sell Saturdays to teachers and you'd save time by cutting PE (wouldn't be advisable in current climate to be using dressing rooms etc) and religion. You'd reduce student population by half on those days then.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

You could condense units in a lot of college courses over year 1 & 2 and be back on track by year 3.

On schools, i wonder if they've looked at the idea of schools taking their summer break now with a view to a return (even if only for LCs) in August?

Very tuff on LCs to plan a peak in study with so much uncertainty, they cud at least plan with late July/August in mind.

Just an idea

Also, for school returns because distancing wud still be an issue until a vaccine you could assign particular days to juniors and seniors to reduce the number of students. For example, Monday, Wednesday, Friday for seniors and Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday for juniors. Reduce the length of the day to be able to sell Saturdays to teachers and you'd save time by cutting PE (wouldn't be advisable in current climate to be using dressing rooms etc) and religion. You'd reduce student population by half on those days then.

I know a small number of schools where PE would be the last to go. They see themselves as sports clubs with a school attached!! Seriously though I really hope the powers that be are working on some practical solution to get us back in classrooms in some guise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭jrmb

Treppen wrote: »
    Just Google 'HPAT preparation' and see how balanced and fair it is (if you've the money)
    What I've proposed bears no resemblance to the HPAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Can they not hold the Leaving Cert later in the year ( whenever things are good) let’s say for example August.

Scrap the Junior Cert , so there would be more correctors for the Leaving Cert Papers and more exam supervisors available if social distancing is needed. Schools have a hall and classrooms they can make use of and primary schools will be closed if they need further space.

I'm sure colleges could begin a month later and start in October or after the Halloween break giving plenty of time for corrections to be done.

From consultation with my students they just want to get on with the exam and they want it in June, they are already finding it difficult to stay motivated and can’t handle the thought of having to wait a full two months extra to sit their exams. Teachers are all supporting them online so they said they will be ready.
    Anyway how would the exams be corrected if they were delayed until August ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

In fairness though, it's pretty immaterial if the students all want the exams in June, it just can't happen with a pandemic. We'd all like life to resume as normal, but it's 99% unlikely to be an option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We are about 8 weeks away from June. A lot can happen in 8 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Indeed. There's a lot of doomsday stuff going on out there. 3 weeks is going to be a long time, never mind 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

TheDriver wrote: »
    Indeed. There's a lot of doomsday stuff going on out there. 3 weeks is going to be a long time, never mind 8.

Yep, going on numbers from Spain and Italy in the last few days, it looks like they have passed their peak and numbers of new cases and deaths are consistently dropping. As would be expected from the measures put in place and general trends of epidemics. We are fortunate that our numbers are relatively low in comparison and while they might rise in the coming week or two, it's highly unlikely we'll be seeing numbers like 1000 cases per day. Our peak will come and it will decline but is has a much smaller fall to make than those countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

ShamoBuc wrote: »

If we're playing the long game, 8 weeks is nothing.

You would also assume a call on the LC would have to be made in the next 4/5 weeks.
    Would be very cruel to call it off the week before its due to start.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-lockdown-steps-could-remain-into-winter-says-expert-1.4221164?mode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Would be very cruel to call it off the week before its due to start
    I don't think that will be allowed to happen except in extraordinary circumstances, e.g. we seem to be getting on top of it, restrictions are eased, LC to go ahead and suddenly there is a new and serious infection spike.

Far more likely that we would have more clarity by around the end of April, even if it's outlining a couple of alternatives and a clear date by which the final decision will be made.

Couldn't see that being later than mid-May and I would expect it to be earlier tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i would imagine schools are going to remain closed no matter how low levels fall until next september. was talkin to a few school DPs there and they think sept for all bar leaving cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Dickie10

in the heel of the hunt i really hope this is the begining of the end of the leaving cert as we know it. horrible set up of a thing, has to be a better less stressful way to find college places for students. tbh i think we need to rethink how we operate 15-18 year old education. should be pathways into vocational and trades course after the junior cert at 15. theres a lot of people in school over age 15 that really shouldnt be there, some just not interested and others not suited. Why did they get rid of vocational schools in 90s and try to lump them into community schools. i think that was a bad move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I would agree that we seriously undervalue apprenticeships / vocational route in this country. I'd love to see us instituting a good range of new apprenticeships or equivalent qualifications with proper status.

I'm not so sure that a LC is ever a burden to anyone, and there are options like the Leaving Cert Applied in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Dickie10 wrote: »
    should be pathways into vocational and trades course after the junior cert at 15. theres a lot of people in school over age 15 that really shouldnt be there, some just not interested and others not suited. Why did they get rid of vocational schools in 90s and try to lump them into community schools. i think that was a bad move.

I think one of the problems was the image of vocational schools. 'The tech' is for stupid people. You went to the tech or the CBS/Convent. They were perceived as inferior schools. There should be more emphasis placed on trades and apprenticeships, and I would like to see LCA given more prominence. Year after year I see students ( a lot of boys) who muddle through the LC, don't want to be there, can't see the point of it, and will go and do a trade afterwards. And they are great workers, but they are not cut out to sit at a desk all day long. They mainly choose the practical subjects, but still have to do Irish, English and Maths. While they need some English and Maths, they don't need Irish.

It would be interesting if an apprenticeship model could be developed for LC, a branch from LCA, where students could concentrate on practical subjects and do practical English, Maths and maybe some Business, given that many who go into trades will be self employed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Bobtheman wrote: »
    You have a point but if they go ahead they'd want to check with their lawyers. I can see a multiple of possible cases.
    We don't have broadband everywhere for a start.
    Look I'm checking out of this thread as even the Department don't know at this stage. Don't believe the hook or by crook bull****. Remember politicians on the air telling us we ain't getting a bailout. Just as the Trokia were checking into their hotels.
    We won't know for another month. Take care people. Teachers
    The only reason the Internet isn't freely available in every home in the country right now as it is in other countries during this crisis is that a certain billionaire owns the telecoms network here. It's not exactly in his best interest that people have access to ideas and opinions that he doesn't want them seeing.

Wouldn't providing every household in the country with Internet access be a much more favourable maneuver than posting a virus-ridden piece of plastic in every door (what did generating that piece of rubbish cost I wonder?) But I guess we were forced to work with what we had - the poor beleaguered and overstretched postal staff.

Imagine if every student in the country could access lessons online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

My personal opinion now is just give the people a clear decision and a date. If pushing it back, so be it but give the students a date to work towards now. Don't leave it open ended. Very hard to study for something that may not happen.
    I say that as someone still waiting a decision on final year college exams that start 5 weeks tomorrow. They can't decide if they need physical written exams or not for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

s1ippy wrote: »
    The only reason the Internet isn't freely available in every home in the country right now as it is in other countries during this crisis is that a certain billionaire owns the telecoms network here. It's not exactly in his best interest that people have access to ideas and opinions that he doesn't want them seeing.

I suppose George Soros is in on it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    My personal opinion now is just give the people a clear decision and a date. If pushing it back, so be it but give the students a date to work towards now. Don't leave it open ended. Very hard to study for something that may not happen.
    I say that as someone still waiting a decision on final year college exams that start 5 weeks tomorrow. They can't decide if they need physical written exams or not for us.

Your college hasn’t migrated to online assessments?! That’s nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

I noticed many parents are preferring online lectures like tutions etc but I think it is the best time for kids to read good books. Books delivery like rental books should be opened.

Kid books writers should also uplift the copyright or priracy bans for a certain time just the writer of Harry Potter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

jrmb wrote: »
    No employer has ever asked for my LC :confused:

Most milk rounds and big grad programmes used to require them anyway. Paddy Power had a 475 minimum for a while, regardless of 3rd level results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Treppen wrote: »

I can only see the start of that. Does she offer an alternative for college entry?

I took by hook or by crook to mean that if we don’t have a leaving cert in June, we definitely will at a later date. I didn’t think he meant it had to run on the planned dates. Funny how different people hear it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

never_mind wrote: »
    Your college hasn’t migrated to online assessments?! That’s nuts.

The college has but certain courses are still TBD. It's disappointing. Just have to wait and hope.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Kids sometimes do much better than expected in an exam.If you go predicted grade then you have to have an appeal exam in the autumn.
    That's the only practical solution now.
    But we all know predicted grades are full of moral hazards here given there is no system in schools to objectively test your grade . Thus you have to have the appeal exam.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

If the Department create a bureaucratic nightmare with it then it won't work. I hope the unions are talking to the department

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rosknight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/leaving-cert-students-could-sit-deferred-exams-and-start-college-in-mid-autumn-1.4212116

It looks like the Junior Cert will be cancelled or deferred.

An unlikely option for dealing with the Leaving Cert issue is allowing students to progress to their chosen course without an exam and having a selection process at the end of the first year college exams. There's a similar system in Italy but there are doubts over whether it would work here.
    Another option which has been discussed is running dramatically slimmed-down Leaving Cert with just maths and English exams, for example.

This on the basis that results in these exams are typically a strong predictor of academic performance at third level. However, a number of sources say the process could be unfair to many students and would struggle to win over public acceptance.

Another option which has been explored in the event that exams are cancelled is matriculation or US-style SAT exam or online assessment by third level colleges themselves.

However, senior higher education sources say there is a strong preference for using the existing Leaving Cert and CAO system. Another concerns is whether all students would have access to broadband.

In the UK, education authorities announced last week that A-level and GCSE exams have been cancelled and replaced with teacher-assessed grades based on students’prior performance.

Education sources say such a move is highly unlikely here as there is less cultural acceptance of teacher-assessed grades. This has also emerged as a major flashpoint with teachers’ unions in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

s1ippy wrote: »

Wouldn't providing every household in the country with Internet access be a much more favourable maneuver than posting a virus-ridden piece of plastic in every door (what did generating that piece of rubbish cost I wonder?) But I guess we were forced to work with what we had - the poor beleaguered and overstretched postal staff.

Imagine if every student in the country could access lessons online.

Britain has the same problem. So I don't see how you can blame a particular person for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement