Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ToTheSea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Leaving certificate pushed back to late July/Early August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

As expected
    A pure mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

I wonder will we get a few weeks off in May to make up for going back during the summer?

And I wonder will any 3rd years be working for the next 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well, thats the last I will hear from my 3rd Years. Not a chance any will pop onto Teams now.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

I wonder will we get a few weeks off in May to make up for going back during the summer?

And I wonder will any 3rd years be working for the next 6 weeks.
    Where is it mentioned about going back during summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Well, thats the last I will hear from my 3rd Years. Not a chance any will pop onto Teams now.

Quite a mess

I expect now summer holidays may have started........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

So, basically we are marking our own Junior Cert students?

paddybarry wrote: »
    Where is it mentioned about going back during summer?

It is expected students will return to the classroom for at least 2weeks prior to exams

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Teachers with leaving cert classes will be going in for 2 weeks prior to the leaving?

Holiday time it would seem for 1st , 2nd , 3rd, TY and 5th year students

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Teachers with leaving cert classes will be going in for 2 weeks prior to the leaving?

Yes absolutely bonkers considering by July it would be four months since a teacher seen them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Class tests for junior cert is some joke

"School based exams for Junior Certs in September.........."

Some dangerous precedents will be set by all this
    "doing our bit" during this pandemic is one thing.......doing it for the rest of our careers is another. I still see FEMPI on my payslip........

Not a chance any teacher will be back for July if they are working right up until June. Only exception would be a delayed start to the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

km79 wrote: »

"doing our bit" during this pandemic is one thing.......doing it for the rest of our careers is another. I still see FEMPI on my payslip........

Sounds like the union has already been in discussions. The dept aren't fools either, they can't just say do it or else. I'm sure it has been discussed.

Some amount of A grades handed out in September if Teachers have to correct their own students work. :D

Not a chance any teacher will be back for July if they are working right up until June. Only exception would be a delayed start to the year.

I think our summer holidays have started
    I had heard this "plan" from a DP before we broke up for Easter..........

TheDriver wrote: »
    Sounds like the union has already been in discussions. The dept aren't fools either, they can't just say do it or else. I'm sure it has been discussed.

Why do you think it sounds like the union have been in discussions?

• Advertisement

'Closed until further notice'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

If the junior cert is in September then that school year will be messed up for those students. How will that lost time be resolved? Summer holidays 2021 start later?

Talking to unions and school leaders regarding staging and correcting junior cert exams in schools

Why do you think it sounds like the union have been in discussions?

It says it on RTE, the 2 weeks teaching of LC will hopefully take place and Govt has been discussing with the unions.

Think of the poor 3rd years going into 5th year and doing junior cert class exams? Don't see how it works

TheDriver wrote: »
    Think of the poor 3rd years going into 5th year and doing junior cert class exams? Don't see how it works

Even worse, those 3rd Years going into TY and were planning on not doing a tap for the year! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Logistically, Im dying to know how is this going to work. If everything is just being pushed out to September and they are going to delay the start to the school year, then why cant the JC go ahead just like the LC???

If the school year is to go ahead as normal, then how will it work for someone with a number of Junior Cert classes who will, in September, have a full 22hr timetable of new class groups. Are they expected to undertake the supervision, setting and correcting of those tests? I get that it is unprecedented times, so let's give them a chance, but am really interested about how this will play out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Surely the JC exams are printed & could be distributed to schools & sent off for marking, over a longer time. But it sounds like the JC will be class tests & be corrected by teachers?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

Leo pretty much said that there are no criteria to reduce the restrictions. Not good.

• Advertisement

Icsics wrote: »
    Surely the JC exams are printed & could be distributed to schools & sent off for marking, over a longer time. But it sounds like the JC will be class tests & be corrected by teachers?!

Yeah, I cant believe how well my students did. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement